New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Girl Genius XXV: It needs work! BUT THE CONCEPT IS SOUND!

My guess for Zeetha vs Bang is that Bang finds out that "her" pirates broke one of the few codes she has. Like slavery. And realizes that "her" pirates had turned against her and so Zeetha more or less did Bang a favor by killing them all. Yeah, I know it seems odd that Bang has any rules, but there are a few things that even she finds abhorrent such as when Gil was mind controlled.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    My guess for Zeetha vs Bang is that Bang finds out that "her" pirates broke one of the few codes she has. Like slavery. And realizes that "her" pirates had turned against her and so Zeetha more or less did Bang a favor by killing them all. Yeah, I know it seems odd that Bang has any rules, but there are a few things that even she finds abhorrent such as when Gil was mind controlled.
    It's relatively clear that Bang didn't know about what her pirates were doing when she wasn't there, she just knows someone blew up her fortress.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

We know she's anti-mindcontrol, that doesn't make her anti-slavery. Then again, it's entirely possible that she had some kind of rule against attacking the British or something (they do have a massive scary navy, after all).

4. - Top - End - #1324

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    We know she's anti-mindcontrol, that doesn't make her anti-slavery. Then again, it's entirely possible that she had some kind of rule against attacking the British or something (they do have a massive scary navy, after all).
    She evidently kept Tarvek as, yes, a slave for a while, a situation he only escaped from by faking a plunge to his death. So at least when she does it, she doesn't have a a problem with it...

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    She evidently kept Tarvek as, yes, a slave for a while, a situation he only escaped from by faking a plunge to his death. So at least when she does it, she doesn't have a a problem with it...
    Naw, Tarvek was a royal hostage who see liked to torment. I was just using slaves as an example. I could be something else such as making a deal with the Polar Lords or attacking a British Ship. My point is that even Bang has a few rules.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

Please . They were playing.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...1#.XR88qOhKiUk
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    What's great is that Jeanne Hawkins Captain of the Mopey Tortiose had him doing the same thing.

8. - Top - End - #1328

Well, Gil's cured. Those last panels are proof.

Also, still brothers from other mothers.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Well, Gil's cured. Those last panels are proof.
    Turns out its a huge conspiracy and Tarvek's lying and he just put Lucrezia in Gil and was working for her all along

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pretty sure the ACTUAL conspiracy is that Gil was wasped, and the only thing keeping him from total capitulation was his dad's implant. Otherwise, what the heck even happened with that spark enslaving wasp?HE managed to protect Dupree but got captured before he could protect himself, so what the heck happened there? It's like that whole storyline was dropped, it HAS to be showing up again at some point.

Edit: Or am I remembering wrong? I thought there was another slaver wasp that could control sparks? I know the father is under the control of one so was this his alternative method to get his son under his control?
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-07-08 at 04:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Pretty sure the ACTUAL conspiracy is that Gil was wasped, and the only thing keeping him from total capitulation was his dad's implant. Otherwise, what the heck even happened with that spark enslaving wasp?HE managed to protect Dupree but got captured before he could protect himself, so what the heck happened there? It's like that whole storyline was dropped, it HAS to be showing up again at some point.
    Do we even know for certain that he's wasped? We've seen Klaus get wasped on-screen, and he then later claimed that Gil got wasped as well by using a wasp-eater that, for some odd reason, did not react to the baron who we know is wasped.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Um, I thought there was a second spark wasp? I can't remember anymore. It's been such a long time. I'm just really hoping for some development in this area now that he's been freed.

EDIT: Looking over it, I think the key bit was that he was unable to drink the anti-slaver potion in time before being captured. Given that it's been two years later, he may have been wasped during that time frame. Certainly, the personality implant that got stuck in him was put in after Klaus was frozen in time, so he was clearly messed with.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2019-07-08 at 04:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Do we even know for certain that he's wasped? We've seen Klaus get wasped on-screen, and he then later claimed that Gil got wasped as well by using a wasp-eater that, for some odd reason, did not react to the baron who we know is wasped.
    That's significant, I think--the wasp-eater either doesn't respond to Spark-infesting wasps, or that particular one had been modified by Klaus to ignore him and go doolally over Gil regardless of his wasped condition. There's no evidence whatsoever that Gil has been wasped other than that one panel.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Um, I thought there was a second spark wasp? I can't remember anymore. It's been such a long time. I'm just really hoping for some development in this area now that he's been freed.
    It has been a long time, but I could swear there was only one spark-enslaving wasp, that got used up on Klaus. And the whole thing about Gil being infected was put in motion by wasped Baron as an excuse to lock him up. It even mentioned he was wasped all the way back when he was in Paris, which seems... unlikely.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2019-07-08 at 06:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

15. - Top - End - #1335

Beholder

As far as I know the spark wasp was one of a kind and used on the Baron.

If Gil was wasped I would assume that would have been shown or told before. The Foglios are usually pretty good at that thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Colossus in the Playground

Im pretty sure the idea that gil was wasped was setup by the baron as an excuse to download his overlay into gil before he ran off and froze himself in time. Basically, "I cant be trusted to run the empire since im wasped, gil is too young to take full control, this way I can remove myself from the picture while also freezing our current headache in place while making sure my empire doesnt crumble in the meantime."
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Gil being wasped is almost certainly an excuse. Boris did think there was something off about that story, he asked Selinkov if someone in a spark fugue state could refuse a command from the Other.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    That's significant, I think--the wasp-eater either doesn't respond to Spark-infesting wasps, or that particular one had been modified by Klaus to ignore him and go doolally over Gil regardless of his wasped condition. There's no evidence whatsoever that Gil has been wasped other than that one panel.
    It must have been a modified wasp eater. The spark-infesting kind is detectable.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was re-reading that section this week, and the key line is at the beginning where the Baron says "No matter what happens, I will do everything in my power to help you".

At the time, that sounded like a line talking about how Gil had been wasped. Now it sounds entirely different - the Baron knows that he has been Wasped, and that the Other has spies throughout the fleet. So, he makes up a story - Gil was wasped years ago, ergo he doesn't need to be wasped now. Never mind that the spark controlling wasps didn't exist back then - the servants of the Other on the ship don't know that, and the Baron is enough of an authority to make the story stick. He then lies about Dupree being poisoned to keep her safe - if it became known that she is immune to being wasped, she would have been killed. The Baron pretends the cure is a fake to protect it.

He dances right up to the edge of what he is able to do while still being wasped, then puts a "clean" copy of himself in Gil and gets himself trapped in a time stop to remove the wasped version.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Im pretty sure the idea that gil was wasped was setup by the baron as an excuse to download his overlay into gil before he ran off and froze himself in time. Basically, "I cant be trusted to run the empire since im wasped, gil is too young to take full control, this way I can remove myself from the picture while also freezing our current headache in place while making sure my empire doesnt crumble in the meantime."
    I'm sure this is the case. The Baron also had to think of a way to follow the orders he had been given but still subvert them. Not an easy thing to do but he still managed.

On a different note, I am wondering if Bang is behind Agatha's disappearance. If Bang just wanted a fight she would have done it already. But if she wants to stage the fight using Agatha to lure Zeetha to someplace that would the thing to do it. (Someone else did come up with this idea before). The Professors have stated that there would be a trip to Africa, and I think there is a good chance that Bang's old pirate base was along the north cost of Africa. That area has a VERY long history of piracy. No reason to think that this wouldn't be the case in the GG universe. Dragging everyone to her old pirate base for the showdown does sound like something Bang might do.

Of course I am probably totally wrong.

20. - Top - End - #1340

I'm sure this is the case. The Baron also had to think of a way to follow the orders he had been given but still subvert them. Not an easy thing to do but he still managed.

On a different note, I am wondering if Bang is behind Agatha's disappearance. If Bang just wanted a fight she would have done it already. But if she wants to stage the fight using Agatha to lure Zeetha to someplace that would the thing to do it. (Someone else did come up with this idea before). The Professors have stated that there would be a trip to Africa, and I think there is a good chance that Bang's old pirate base was along the north cost of Africa. That area has a VERY long history of piracy. No reason to think that this wouldn't be the case in the GG universe. Dragging everyone to her old pirate base for the showdown does sound like something Bang might do.

Of course I am probably totally wrong.
    There's every indication that Bang's base was in Europa somewhere; that's where Zeetha ended up wandering after destroying it. And Agatha and Co. are going to Africa after she reunites with the Circus and she learns from Embi that there is a functioning Mirror (or something/someone helpful) in his homeland, which allows her to reach Skifander.
    I'll bet its Seffie who snatched Agatha. Or the "Mr Eyeball" guy who talked to Lady Steelgarter through a peephole.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Firbolg in the Playground

Did the Baron discover the secret of Permadeath? Last panel: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...9#.XSNXcY_OOUl
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #1342

AssassinGuy

how did Agathas Wasp Eater react to Gil?
    or haven’t they been in the same panel yet?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

23. - Top - End - #1343

No, they haven't. The weasel has only been with Agatha since the timeskip. And the only time Agatha and Gil have been in the same place since then was at the Corbettite Monastery after the Battle of the Rails with the Beast, and the weasel would've been stashed to keep it away from Tweedle.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

No, they haven't. The weasel has only been with Agatha since the timeskip. And the only time Agatha and Gil have been in the same place since then was at the Corbettite Monastery after the Battle of the Rails with the Beast, and the weasel would've been stashed to keep it away from Tweedle.
    Yeah, he's right there at Gil's feet.

Grinning like a madthing.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Did the Baron discover the secret of Permadeath? Last panel: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comi...9#.XSNXcY_OOUl
    I think something like Schlock Mercenary's Lazarus death scale is in play here, probably related to amount of brain injury/time since death. Get to somebody shortly after death and take measures to preserve their brain, you can bring them back pretty reliably. Significant physical trauma to the brain or too much time spent as a corpse.. well, you can probably reinvigorate a body, but the person in it is likely to be significantly changed or lost completely, like being a shambler Revenant. Brain completely destroyed and you're basically just making a construct with the corpse as raw materials. I think Maxim was implying he thought Lars's body was already past the point for reliable reanimation/recovery of personality, so even if the body was bought back to life Lars would not be.

(That was also relatively early on in the story - the Foglio's idea of how resurrection in the GG universe works may have changed since then.)

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I think something like Schlock Mercenary's Lazarus death scale is in play here, probably related to amount of brain injury/time since death. Get to somebody shortly after death and take measures to preserve their brain, you can bring them back pretty reliably. Significant physical trauma to the brain or too much time spent as a corpse.. well, you can probably reinvigorate a body, but the person in it is likely to be significantly changed or lost completely, like being a shambler Revenant. Brain completely destroyed and you're basically just making a construct with the corpse as raw materials. I think Maxim was implying he thought Lars's body was already past the point for reliable reanimation/recovery of personality, so even if the body was bought back to life Lars would not be.

(That was also relatively early on in the story - the Foglio's idea of how resurrection in the GG universe works may have changed since then.)
    I'm betting Dr. Sun or someone like him would have been able to save Lars. The trouble at the time was that they didn't have access to any reliable hospital facility and wouldn't have that access for the forseeable future. The closest would probably have been the hospital in Mechanicsburg, which would have been rather difficult to access without broadcasting "The Heterodyne Girl is Here!" to the world.

27. - Top - End - #1347

There's every indication that Bang's base was in Europa somewhere; that's where Zeetha ended up wandering after destroying it. And Agatha and Co. are going to Africa after she reunites with the Circus and she learns from Embi that there is a functioning Mirror (or something/someone helpful) in his homeland, which allows her to reach Skifander.
    I'll bet its Seffie who snatched Agatha. Or the "Mr Eyeball" guy who talked to Lady Steelgarter through a peephole.
    I thought 'Mr Eyeball' was Snackleford, based on thinking the eyebrows looked similar, but looking back through the comic, they don't seem that similar at all. Wall-eye making a move would be a good way to up the tension and bring the various plot threads in England back.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

28. - Top - End - #1348

We've already resolved most of the England specific plot threads. Main one open right now is will anyone realize that Albia's 'improvement' in the Lucrezia removal plan is turning Agatha into a permanent resident of The Garden. The one with Steelgarter and Moonbark will likely get resolved later, after they chase or are chased by the heroic party on the way to Skiffander.

The Bang and Seffie threads aren't England specific.

29. - Top - End - #1349

We've already resolved most of the England specific plot threads. Main one open right now is will anyone realize that Albia's 'improvement' in the Lucrezia removal plan is turning Agatha into a permanent resident of The Garden. The one with Steelgarter and Moonbark will likely get resolved later, after they chase or are chased by the heroic party on the way to Skiffander.

The Bang and Seffie threads aren't England specific.
    There's also the fact that England is sinking into the ocean; Agatha's likely to discover the cause of that before this is all over. (Wouldn't be surprised if that's tied in with Mr. Eyeball somehow.) And as I said above, she's pretty much gotta reunite with Master Payne's Circus at some point. Plus there's whoever it is who is now roaming around the country in possession of Prende's Lantern. (I'd bet Madwa the Smoke Knight despite her supposed death.)
    Last edited by geoduck; 2019-07-08 at 10:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1350

Agatha has neither need nor reason to care about England sinking. She wants to save Mechanicsburg. England is a distraction from that. She doesn't need the circus, or even Embi. Just a rumor about a mirror in Africa, assuming the crew doesn't go there in pursuit of, say, Steelgarter and Moonbark because they kidnapped Zeetha. And I'm certain Madwa is dead, because otherwise we'd have been subjected to another thirty pages of Smoke Knight antics.