New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1154 - The Discussion Thread

WHY?!

Why wasn't Elan in the room for this?!?!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

So, apparently Minrah will be joining the next battle as well! I hadn't thought of that for some reason, maybe because I think someone suggested Durkon would wait to raise her so that he could use all his spells in the battle. But thinking about it now, it makes sense tactically that he'd use one spell to raise her and then they'd gain all of her spells. I suppose it's theoretically possible he'll heal Sigdi so she can help in the battle too, as someone suggested last thread I believe, but I doubt that'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    And Durkon finally has a weapon upgrade. Cool! I wonder where he plans to get a new armor set.
    They're in a temple of Thor. There's probably some spare armor around.

Quote Originally Posted by Verappo View Post
    Yay, long awaited weapon upgrade!
    Nice twist to the prophecy too, making it about Durkon's choice to kick ass
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    So death was dealt by Durkula, and the destruction will come from the recovered Durkon? Hmmmm.
    The only problem with these interpretations is that the priest of Odin said "for us all." Maybe "all" is used loosely enough that it only applies to those of "us" that were turned into vampires (similar to how, if it's used loosely, it could apply to just the dwarves who've already been killed and vamped, as people have said before. Of course, there's still people's interpretation that "for" only refers to Durkula's intentions, not what he was actually able to accomplish...).

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Me.
    Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I don't get this.
    Last edited by nolongeralurker; 2019-01-31 at 12:26 PM.
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ready to roll them!

That little secret got resolved faster than expected. Good to see plot points getting resolved at fast pace.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    Here's a (possibly non-comprehensive) linked list of Order of the Stick weapon upgrades:

Vaarsuvius - Ring of Wizardry
    Roy Greenhilt - Starmetal Sword
    Elan - Keen Rapier
    Haley Starshine - Icy Burst Arch-O-Ry
    Elan (again) - Chaos Sabre
    Belkar Bitterleaf - Psionic Dagger
    Blackwing - Ioun Stone
    Roy Greenhilt (again) - Weapons of Legacy Book (booster for Starmetal Sword)
    Durkon Thundershield - Hammer of ???

I've been thinking of this and how power is currently distributed along the order now. V seemed to me the most powerful, but could we say now that Durkon and Roy are very similar to her now?

While Haley and Belkar seem 'weaker' but maybe capable of attacking more times per round? (I'm no D&D player).

And Elan even weaker.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Turin_19 View Post
    I've been thinking of this and how power is currently distributed along the order now. V seemed to me the most powerful, but could we say now that Durkon and Roy are very similar to her now?

While Haley and Belkar seem 'weaker' but maybe capable of attacking more times per round? (I'm no D&D player).

And Elan even weaker.
    Elan is by far the most powerful, since he can manipulate how the world works. That he chooses not to is of no moment.

Vaarsuvius and Haley are probably the highest-level, for what that's worth (nothing).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nolongeralurker View Post
    Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I don't get this.
    Grey Watcher quoted a line from Darken. He also used the forum's Quote function on one of my posts, so I weasled my way into winning a quatloo (and a finely crafted one at that).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-01-31 at 12:57 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    Whaaaaaaaaaaat this is amazing omgrotf he needs frikkin gloves to weild it?!?!
    Well..
    Járngreipr
    (from Wikipedia)
    In Norse mythology, Járngreipr (Old Norse "iron grippers") or Járnglófar ("iron gauntlets"[1]) are the iron gloves of the god Thor. According to the Prose Edda, along with the hammer Mjölnir and the belt Megingjörð, Járngreipr is one of Thor's three crucial possessions. According to chapter 20 of the book Gylfaginning, he requires the gloves to handle his powerful hammer. The reason for this may come from the forging of the hammer, when the dwarf working the bellows was bitten in his eye by a gadfly (commonly held to be Loki in disguise) which caused the handle of the hammer to be shortened.
    BTW, in the world of D&D 1e, Mjölnir can be wielded by a mortal who wears both a Belt of Giant Strength and Gauntlets of Ogre Power. Giant strength was required to even pick it up.

So I would guess this hammer is an incarnation of Mjölnir, an Epic-level artifact forged to closely follow the inspiration of the real thing. Thor obviously is holding the True Mjölnir.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    Durkon Thundershield - Hammer of ???
    I bet it's the Hammer of Thunderbolts:
    https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ha...f_Thunderbolts

Which may mean that those gaunlets are not for show, but actually the Gaunlets of Ogre Power.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-01-31 at 02:31 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    WOW

That's a good upgrade, I must say. I don't think that's THE MJOLNIR, but I do think it may be A Hammer of Thunderbolts, which is a minor artifact and quite powerful. If those gloves are Gauntlets of Ogre Power and if there's a Belt of Giant Strength in there too, we may be looking for very powerful combination.

LoKi SuCKs LOL
    You mean like the belt around Roy's waist?

10. - Top - End - #130

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Grey Watcher quoted a line from Draken. He also used the forum's Quote function on one of my posts, so I weasled my way into winning a quatloo (and a finely crafted one at that).
    Oh, okay, cool. I thought it was something along those lines, but I didn't realize he'd quoted something else you said.
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Repeated listed to Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" after the mention while reading this discussion and re-reading the comic...

VERY appropriate for reading this comic if you can.

The password was entirely, wickedly, EPICally (?is this a word?, should it be?) funny for me. Hit my funny bone just right.

So, we see, potentially, a hammer of Thunderbolts and gauntlets of Ogre Power, no belt, yet.

Let us see the Champion of Thor bring the prophesied DESTRUCTION..A-A-A-A-A-A-H, AH, A-A-A-A-A-H, AH... We come from the land of the ice snow

ARGH!!! now I have the ear worm again... so distressing.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLawyer View Post
    You mean like the belt around Roy's waist?
    Like that one, but probably not that one. The hammer probably comes cached with one, that Durkon simply hasn't picked up yet.

That or he's been wearing one since the first strip, and never mentioned it.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-01-31 at 12:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, so that's what he wouldn't let us here

14. - Top - End - #134
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Elan is by far the most powerful, since he can manipulate how the world works. That he chooses not to is of no moment.
    Sounding like Tarquin is bad.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ...it's got the lightning logo right there, and it was apparently stashed with a pair of gauntlets, which I'm betting are Gauntlets of Ogre Power. There might be a Belt of Giant Strength in there as well - the whole kit needed to use a Hammer of Thunderbolts at full effect.
    Roy HAS a belt of giant strenght he got from rescuing those guys from the slaver bugs in the desert. just in case you have forgotten, which wouldn't be hard to happen since it was a long time ago. :)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Sounding like Tarquin is bad.
    So are ad hominem fallacies. Just because Tarquin believes something does not make that thing untrue. Nor does having a belief in common with Tarquin mean that a speaker holds all of Tarquin's beliefs.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-01-31 at 12:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I love the hammer, love "Loki sucks", which I missed until the forum, but I think "ruminant boob drippings" is the best part of the comic ;)

18. - Top - End - #138
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    Mink, from Darken comic. Funnily enough, I remembered the quote, the characters and the plot, but not the actual name of the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    But... but... he spelled it wrong! That doesn't count!
    Do you people think I'm made of quatloos!?

Ugh, fine! But this is the last one!

:hands over quatloo:

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Hammer a' Thunderboolts!

Or not. But if he needs to borrow Roy's belt to go with those swell gauntlets...
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I'd love to get that last panel as a wallpaper for my iPhone...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is V required to trance to learn spells? I ask, because it was a big plot point that trancing is not biologically necessary for elves, and in fact during the whole research thing, there was no trancing.

Is this just because V is smarter now?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    So are ad hominem fallacies. Just because Tarquin believes something does not make that thing untrue. Nor does having a belief in common with Tarquin mean that a speaker holds all of Tarquin's beliefs.
    Tarquin was wrong though. He didn't manage to control the narrative the way he thought he would and neither can Elan.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Tarquin was wrong though. He didn't manage to control the narrative the way he thought he would and neither can Elan.
    We heard you like fallacies, so we put fallacies in your fallacies.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    Is V required to trance to learn spells? I ask, because it was a big plot point that trancing is not biologically necessary for elves, and in fact during the whole research thing, there was no trancing.

Did V struck you as healthy during that time? Just becaause something isn't necessary for you to stay alive doesn't mean it isn't good for you. Also the reason V avoided trancing was because of the guilt-tripping dreams, which I think they have gotten over by now.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-01-31 at 12:58 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pampukin View Post
    The password "Loki sucks" nearly made me spill my coffee.
    Awesome comic.
    Um, where are you all seeing that?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post

It's not 'biologically necessary' in about the same way sleeping is not 'biologically necessary' for humans - which is to say, you can avoid doing it and it won't (immediately) kill you, but you will suffer for it. The text requirement for recovering spells is '8 hours of rest' - that doesn't have to include sleep/trance, but any sufficiently strenuous activity will disrupt it. V presumably found some activity (reading books of magical theory or similar, probably) that would help with their studies but still counted as 'resting' to do instead of trancing. They have probably since realized that being exhausted and on edge because they decided to do something 'useful' instead of trancing doesn't actually help the Order.

Roy HAS a belt of giant strenght he got from rescuing those guys from the slaver bugs in the desert. just in case you have forgotten, which wouldn't be hard to happen since it was a long time ago. :)
    Hadn't forgotten, just figured Roy probably won't be asked to surrender his item so Durkon can make use of another one. Especially if, say, Roy has a +6 belt, and the Hammer was stashed with +2 Gloves and a +4 belt.. not that Rich is likely to go into the exact bonuses in that detail, but it would mean they're getting the same total benefit from their respective items, while still leaving Roy as 'the strong one' due to likely starting with a higher Strength.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2019-01-31 at 01:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    Um, where are you all seeing that?
    The letters Durkon pressed are darker.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    Tarquin applied his method using the wrong inputs - for instance, an assumption that the story about himself was the central one. That does not invalidate the method, it merely means that one must be careful when applying it.

Also, Tarquin had Elan working against him, as opposed to the savvy-less people who had been his opponents all his life up til then.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also the reason V avoided trancing was because of the guilt-tripping dreams, which I think they have gotten over by now.
    You'd think the opposite would be true, but apparently genocide is a thing you just get over.

Or maybe instead of running from it, Vaarsuvius punishes herself by subjecting herself to the memory over and over.

30. - Top - End - #150

OrcBarbarianGuy

If Durkon lost a spell level or some number of spells by being raised twice....I guess this will make up for it!!