New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Remnants of Cyre <Team One>

Jacinth

Listening to Templars request, he recalls the homunculus and it flutters down to the window. "I'm not sure how much it can carry... this one is summoned so I didn't design it per se, but based on designs I've seen it only has a strength score of one... ten being human average. It's a technical measure for constructs that I haven't quite mastered... advanced stuff."

As the tiny creature works, he recommends that Templar hold one end of the rope in case the messenger can't carry it out.

"Though... I think we could try something to get out of here. I figure that the zombies didn't go for the homunculus because it wasn't big and human shaped. They seemed to go for Templar, and if you count the lifewood inside him then he should be about as appetizing to a zombie as an oak tree covered in steel plates... uh, no offense Templar."

"So... we could try luring them away with something human-shaped and bigger. I hear that there is a divine spell that can hide a person from the undead (Its common military knowledge) If one of us could cast that then theoretically they could sneak out the back door, which I think is clear. Then circle around, catch the zombies attention and then run like hell. The zombies follow and then once they are far away they could cast the spell, becoming invisible to the zombies and then just walk back here."

Feeling nervous at even suggesting such a risky plan, he continues. "Or, I can try dressing up a homunculus as a person and see if the zombies chase it. Maybe have this one drag a sheet around under it... and I think there is another kind called a furtive filcher that I can summon... its a little foot and a half foot tall humanoid bit of shadow. Maybe dress it up in some flashy clothes and it would almost pass for a small child, might distract them."

"But, from what I see, the zombies are more spread out in other areas, if we are sneaky we could all try sneaking out the back and head for the edge of town, probably even go faster by street then by rooftop. With one of these messengers I could get a bird's eye view on what lies ahead, help us avoid large groups of zombies... and maybe check on any better safe houses that might lie ahead. If we can find a weapon shop, we could see about arming ourselves and the civilians better."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

The little messenger labors it's way up to the rooftop, and begins the task of securing the rope. Its small frame requires it to take extra time securing the rope, but it manages to do so after a few minutes of work.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Noticing that the messenger is quite strong for its size, Jacinth looks around and finds the bloodied sheets that the original zombie was killed on. He uses a blade to cut it into a vaguely human size and shape. Then he sews a crossbow bot in on the top to form a stiff grip and then sews some chunks of wood onto the 'feet' to proved enough weight that it doesn't flap in the wind.

The result is very quickly made and crude bit of cloth with some blood on it, that looks somewhat human-shaped.

"I'll have the messenger carry this around close to the ground. Maybe the zombies will mistake it for a person and chase after it..."

thinking again... "Or if not... I suppose we could dump some butter or oil or marbles on the floor... then when they walk inside they could trip and fall, giving us an advantage in combat. Or if we have more rope we could tie a heavy object to one end and drop it on their heads, reel it back in and keep doing that until it smashed their skulls. Or perhaps a noose or hook of some kind..."

Shrugging, he orders the homuculus to fly down a few dozen yards from the zombies, and glide just high enough off the ground for the piece of cloth to look human-like.

Disguise Check(untrained for Jacinth):(1d20+2)[11]
    Disguise Check(untrained for the homunculus):(1d20-2)[14]
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-11-30 at 12:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hector

Glancing at Jacinth after hearing his words about someone casting a spell to hide from zombies, then showing himself to the zombies and running, Hector becomes nervous.

Surely they don't expect me to run from these foul beasts...I should have never left home...

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

The homunculus drags the crude human cutout along the street, but gets little more that a glance from the zombies. They apparently see it, but seem able to tell that the cutout is not alive in any way.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

"Well, that was a waste." he admits and has the messenger drop the cutout.

"Now then, where is the closest store where I can expect to find some magic items?" He asks the innkeeper.

He orders the messenger to fly around the buildings immediately north and east, checking the condition of their doors, windows, and walls. Then, he has it recheck the buildings to the east of them, this time looking for any small shops or workshops. He has the messenger peek into any of the windows of these to hopefully get an idea on any loot... er, I mean supplies they might be able to salvage. He carefully takes note of what he sees.

"Also, what is in the basement, and how big is it? I don't suppose it's about as big as the first floor is... I mean, If we were to remove the stairs to the basement and then cut a hole in the floor right in front of the front door... we could have all the zombies walk in and get trapped in the basement. Provided these zombies can't jump of course."
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

"Many crafters produce items of minor magic in this city, although most would be in the House Cannith workshops. The nearest place that would likely carry such would be the apothacary to the south-west."

"The cellar isn't very large. It's only for storing food, so it never needed to be very big. The cellar is only underneath the kitchen floor."

The buildings to the north and east are in good condition for the most part. Most are houses, though there are a few shops, selling everything from barrels to clothing. As for usuable gear, the only shops this street seems to be lacking is a blacksmith, so you may well be able to find almost anything you are looking for if you only have time to find it and can get to it. You begin to feel that the magic powering your homunculus is begining to wane, and you have only a few more minutes left, ten minutes at the most.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Feeling his messenger weakening, he sends it in one one final direction. Telling it to head to the southwest toward the apothecary. Once his messenger finds it, he orders it to get inside the building through any window or chimney it can see.

"Okay, I just sent my messenger to check the apothecary. I might be able to find some magic items there... and a messenger might be able to carry some scrolls or wands back here. It looks like we can find enough supplies from the neighboring buildings to survive here for a while. And the neighboring buildings should pretty much be in the same shape as this inn was when the attack first took place. If we want to move to a different building then all we have to do is sneak out the back door without getting seen, find a place we like, and make ourselves at home there."

He takes a deep breath, "As for getting out of here without getting seen. We still have the 30 foot rope section I tried using to get to the roof last night. We could tie it to something secure here, tie some knots in it for handholds and then use it to climb down to the street in the back... I suppose if we had two ropes we could get some boards and make a rope-ladder... "

He trails off, getting back to drawing up the map of the area as the messenger flies.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

The messenger wings its way through the air, and down the streets, searching for the Appothecary. From the innkeeper's directions, the homunculus soon finds what you believe to be the place. The large sign out front, in the shape of a mortar and pestle, proclaims this to be Granny Soonada's Herb Shop. The little creature finds its way down the brick chimney and out into a room lined with shelves, cupboards, and boxes, each labeled and bearing piles of ground herbs, strange minerals, and other idems of unidentified use.

What are you having it look for in here?
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-12-01 at 05:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

"An herb shop? That's what an apothecary is?" Jacinth blinks, surprised. He shakes his head, he should probably order it back so it can self-destruct on the zombies out front... but it is possible this place might have something interesting.

He has the homunculus search for wands, scrolls, potions, or any supplies that could be used for crafting scrolls. He concentrates through the mental link, having it search through the building and check the various places.

He rattles off the contents of any labels he sees, seeing if any of the other spell casters could find use for any of the spell components. As he sees some of the costly spell components through the messengers eyes, he absentmindedly checks his moneybelt to see if he has enough money.

"Wait a sec... isn't holy water made with silver?" he asks randomly before returning to his search.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

The little creature flaps around the room, checking for anything of intrest. It's search reveals several things.

While the shop does not contain parchment or ink, it does contain a variety of powdered dragonshard, dragonshards, and the materials that would be required to brew your own ink.

Atop a shelf along one wall, you find a collection of small pottery vessals, about the size of a human fist, that could contain potions. Each is labeled in an obscure language that, judging by the size of the furnishings, must be either Halfling or Gnome.

(Anyone with either several ranks in Spellcraft or Knowledge (Religion), or levels in a clerical Divine casting class can answer your question with a yes. Of note: I have houseruled the price of Holy Water down to a fifth of what it normaly is. Enjoy.)

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

I have the messenger grab some of the ingediets I could use to make ink with. As much as it can carry. I then order it to return to the inn if it can, if it can't make it back to the inn before vanishing, I have it land and place the ingredients carefully somewhere, like on a rooftop.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know about holy water costing about 5 gp of silver. I was just kind of remembered that if all else fails we could probably pull some change out of our pockets, shave the coins up and make holy water grenades to attack the zombies with.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

The messenger does not have much time remaining, so it is only able to get some of the materials (mostly oak galls) up the chimney and onto the next rooftop before dissolving into a burst of golden sparks.

Spoiler
    Show

Yep, that would work, if someone ever answers your question.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hector

"Yes, holy water is made with silver... why?

What do you have in mind?"

Hector seems focused on Jacinth...

Holy Water...Now why didn't I think of that...

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Fetch continues to watch the hordes of shambling dead below. For some reason he seemed uncomfortable when Jacinth began ordering the tiny construct around. The warforged has been silent the past several minutes, calmly keeping his vigil.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Turning to Hector he says, "Well, we do have water, and if silver is the only material component for making holy water we could theoretically use our spare silver coins to make holy water to combat the undead... I'm not sure how effective it would be... but its one more option available to us."

Jacinth marks the location of the bundle of ingredients on the map then turns to the innkeeper. "Soo... I'm not sure if I asked you yet but what's the closest neighboring town?"
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

"The nearest town isn't far. No more than fifteen miles. It's only a small town though, nothing of great consequence."

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Sighing, Jacinth decides to do what he probably should have done ages ago. (okay, one of the things... the other involves suicide) He unties the 30-foot section of rope that he had used to test the window the previous day, then sets it up again near the rear of the building so that it is as far away from the zombies out front as possible and no windows would reveal him to them. He secures it to a support beam, spends some time tying knots in it at regular intervals to make it easier to climb, and then starts to make his decent to the street below.

He descends the knotted rope to the street below, bracing against the brick wall as he does so. Regularly checking for signs of zombies that might try attacking him.

Climb check:(1d20+1)[7]
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gronth has been watching the whole proceeding with slight amusement, and slightly twisted humor. How was all this scouting going to help them from the hordes out there? But mages were silly folk, and he would let Jacinth work as he saw fit. At least, until Jacinth began going down to the street.

What was he doing? They were out there, countless numbers of the creatures, just waiting to devour them all. Jacinth was no warrior - how could he survive? It was hopeless - yet Gronth could never abandon a compatriot in survival to that fate. He would simply have to go with him.

Putting his axe back where it wouldn't fall, Gronth began climbing down the rope after Jacinth.

Climb Check - (1d20+4)[11](15)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Chars:
    Cora Hilltopple, Rogue 5/Fighter 2 (Left area of gaming group)
    Ethelon, Sorcerer 4 (Campaign postponed indefinitely)
    Altair De'Von, Cleric 1
    Gronth Gaar, Barbarian 1

Avatar is of Cora Hilltopple, made by me!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Jacinth and Gronth descend the rope to the alleyway below (both should be glad that a knotted rope with a wall to brace against is a DC 0 climb check). The strange fog swirls around their ankles as the survey the alleyway. To the west, the alley meets with the street, while the alley way continues for quite a distance to the east. No zombies are in view at the moment, but with the number of undead in the city it is only a matter of time before something will come.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Bugbear in the Playground

Templar

Templar steps over to the rope and stands before the window. Please tell me where you are going. Under the circumstances, independent action is too dangerous.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Strange fog... weird, I didn't notice any of this before.

"I'm going to check the buildings here... maybe we can sneak inside one of them." He whispers. "Templar, you may as well come down also. We could use your blade in the event of a battle, and we know that the civilians should be safe at least for a while."

Jacinth makes sure his crossbow is loaded... as little effect it has on the zombies now he might be able to enhance it one more time. It was a pity he had enhanced it earlier today and not made use of it.

Odd, even as he looks around the buildings he can think of a million ways to deal with their situation, some less practical than the others. Spread lantern oil on the alleyway and call the zombies over so they can trip and have Templar slay them. Get inside one of these buildings and form a secondary refuge for the civilains.

Though it just may be that sitting around and planning won't get him anywhere.

Jacinth checks the nearest building first deducing what it might be and then checking the door and windows to find a way inside.
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-12-07 at 07:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    During the night, low banks of slate gray fog rolled in, filling the streets to a few feet in depth, giving a strange, otherworldly look to the city.
    Most of the nearest buildings are houses, although you think that there is a tailor's shop a few buildings over. The nearest building has no back door, and its front door faces out onto the large street to the west.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2007-12-07 at 08:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Bugbear in the Playground

Templar

Right.
    A moment later Templar seizes the rope and climbs down it as best as he's able to, moving slowly and carefully. Let's avoid the street for now. The narrow alley works to our advantage. He moves to the east down the alley, leading the way.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Kalinar

Kalinar looks down at them. "I won't be of much use down there, instead I will stay up here and spot for you all. Or at least play decoy a bit."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

Jacinth nods and follows behind Templar, the warforged was obviously designed for combat and this would should be more of its element than the inside of a tavern.

Jacinth follows silently, checking the area as he goes. His crossbow at the ready.

Spot:(1d20)[12]
    Listen:(1d20)[8]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Fetch climbs down the rope after Templar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb - (1d20)[10]

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC: Could you guys give me a heads up on what you are looking for/heading towards?

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Gronth is following along, acting as a guard for Jacinth. If Templar is leading the party, Gronth will be taking the rear, ready to protect from behind.))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Chars:
    Cora Hilltopple, Rogue 5/Fighter 2 (Left area of gaming group)
    Ethelon, Sorcerer 4 (Campaign postponed indefinitely)
    Altair De'Von, Cleric 1
    Gronth Gaar, Barbarian 1

Avatar is of Cora Hilltopple, made by me!

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacinth

((Jacinth is following Templar, fairly sure that the warforged is capable of handling itself, but doubts it would listen to his orders. Jacinth just looks around for houses or shops to check out. His first priority is either a weapons shop, a general store to get more rope, food, or alchemical supplies or maybe a secure looking building to form a second base if need be.))
    Spoiler
    Show