New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Age of Worms warblade build suggestions

Hi guys,
    Long time reader, but first my post here.

Our 6-player party recently started Age of Worms campaign. Now we're near the end of "Whispering cairn" and looking round on recent encounters i asked our DM to retrain my elven bow-oriented fighter (i planned to take Arcane Archer) to warblade before we start "Three faces of evil". We agreed that i won't change race and ability scores (i rolled pretty high) only class (and skills and feats).
    I don't have experience playing ToB characters and want to get opinions and suggestions to my current and planned build.
    We are restricted to PHB, PHB II, CA, ToB

Level 3 High Elf Warblade using bastard sword and buckler when needed (plan to switch for 2h sword or elven court blade if DM allow later)

Stats (after applying racial bonuses):
    Str 17
    Dex 20
    Con 15
    Int 16
    Wis 15
    Cha 13

Spoiler: Current feats
    Show

Lvl 1: (One flaw taken)
    Exotic weapon prof (bastard sword)
    Weapon focus (bastard sword) plan to retrain this with Combat reflexes on lvl. 4
    Lvl 3:
    Power attack

Spoiler: Current maneuvers
    Show

Sapphire nightmare blade
    Steel wind
    Moment of perfect mind
    Leading the attack
    Emerald razor

Current stance Hunter's sense.
    I'd like to go plain warblade 20.

Spoiler: Planned feats
    Show

5th: Ironheart aura (Bonus)
    6th: Leap attack
    9th: Stormguard warrior/Blind-fight (Bonus)
    12th: Rolibar's gambit
    13th and above i'm open for suggestions

Spoiler: Planned maneuvers
    Show

4th: Steel wind => Wall of blades
    5th: Iron heart surge
    6th: Sapphire nightmare blade => White raven tactics
    7th: Bounding assault
    8th: Leading the Attack => Death from above
    9th: Iron heart focus
    11th: Greater insightful strike
    13th: Avalanche of blades
    14th: Death from above => Finishing move
    15th: Diamond nightmare blade
    16th: Emerald razor => Adamantine hurricane
    17th: Time Stands Still
    18th: Finishing move => Strike of perfect clarity
    19th: Mountain Tombstone Strike

Spoiler: Planned stances
    Show

5th: Tactics of the wolf or Leaping dragon stance or Pearl of black doubt (haven't decided yet)
    11th: Hearing the air
    17th: Stance of alacrity

Rest of our party are
    Half-elf twf ranger
    Halfling scout (archer)
    Human shapeshift druid
    Human wizard
    Half-orc cleric of Fharlanghn (Luck and Travel)

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Age of Worms warblade build suggestions

Just some random comments, have you taken a look at the elven courtblade? If you are going exotic weapon anyways it is a much more interesting choice. Also Eternal Blade prc might be a good choice for you...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmord View Post
    (plan to switch for 2h sword or elven court blade if DM allow later)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Just some random comments, have you taken a look at the elven courtblade? If you are going exotic weapon anyways it is a much more interesting choice. Also Eternal Blade prc might be a good choice for you...
    Looks good Gilmord

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd go with Leaping Dragon Stance, if you have any of the maneuvers that base things off of your Jump check.

Any particular reason you're going with Bastard Sword? It doesn't really give you any advantage over Greatsword, other than letting you go sword-and-board. That generally isn't an optimal strategy; you'd be losing out on a lot of Power Attack damage (particularly since you have Leap Attack and Robilar's Gambit) if you use it 1-handed instead of 2. I would take Improved Bull Rush, with an eye to take Shock Trooper as soon as possible, instead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd greatly recommend Adaptive Style feat. Never know what you'll face and not having the right maneuver available for a whole fight can be a game changer, in a bad way.

<puts on asbestos suit>
    For warblades I prefer using maneuver damage over power attack. In the games I'm in I see so many whiffs by others due to power attack. What good is the potential extra +10 damage when you barely miss and do all of zero damage? Warblade's easy refresh plus the above feat keeps you flexible.

My current warblades
    Suga (5th level orc)
    Kalir (14th level raptoran)
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    <puts on asbestos suit>
    For warblades I prefer using maneuver damage over power attack. In the games I'm in I see so many whiffs by others due to power attack. What good is the potential extra +10 damage when you barely miss and do all of zero damage? Warblade's easy refresh plus the above feat keeps you flexible.
    I don't think that's quite as controversial as you might think. It's the melee equivalent of preferring an SR: No, Saves: No effect. It's better to do something useful than to waste your action. If it's just Power Attack versus maneuver, there would definitely be times when maneuver is what you want to do. But when you throw things like Shock Trooper and Leap Attack into the mix, Power Attack becomes a much stronger option. Some of the White Raven Charge maneuvers and the Tiger Claw pseudo-Pounce maneuvers can even let you do both at once.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

If you are going for a Stormguard Warrior build with that very nice Dexterity score (and generally great stats), I would suggest picking up Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Midnight Dodge (or Desert Wind Dodge, or Expeditious Dodge), and Karmic Strike (requires two flaws, I suggest Vulnerable--also take the Aggressive trait, if you can). That lets you do what Robilar's does (to an extent), but at level 3.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thanks for all your suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Yep, elven courtblade was the reason i picked exotic weapon, but our DM said elven courtblade isn't available to buy, instead he'll allow me to roll percentile dice to find it after some encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Any particular reason you're going with Bastard Sword? It doesn't really give you any advantage over Greatsword, other than letting you go sword-and-board. That generally isn't an optimal strategy; you'd be losing out on a lot of Power Attack damage (particularly since you have Leap Attack and Robilar's Gambit) if you use it 1-handed instead of 2. I would take Improved Bull Rush, with an eye to take Shock Trooper as soon as possible, instead.
    I plan switch to elven courtblade when my character find it, as mentioned above.
    Shock trooper is great, but we don't use Complete Warrior (maybe i can convince our DM to pick it, but i'm not sure).

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    If you are going for a Stormguard Warrior build with that very nice Dexterity score (and generally great stats), I would suggest picking up Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Midnight Dodge (or Desert Wind Dodge, or Expeditious Dodge), and Karmic Strike (requires two flaws, I suggest Vulnerable--also take the Aggressive trait, if you can). That lets you do what Robilar's does (to an extent), but at level 3.
    Same here as with Shock trooper. We are not allowed to use Complete Warrior
    Last edited by Gilmord; 2019-03-21 at 08:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I think this may be the first time I've ever heard of a DM who's okay with Tome of Battle, Complete Adventurer, and Races of the Wild, but not with Complete Warrior.

Anyway, I get why you're thinking about going Courtblade with your Dex being higher than your Str. But you'd be spending two feats (Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Courtblade, and Weapon Finesse) to take advantage of that. Right now your Strength is +3 and your Dex is +5. Getting a +2 to hit is not worth two feats.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

All your level-ups should go to your Str anyways and since you want to two-hand eventually, Power Attack is not a bad investment (I've made great use of it with e.g. Rabid Wolf Strike and Rabid Bear Strike - naturally it also combines well with Emerald Razor and the damage multiplication gets pretty brutal with Nightmare Blades down the line).

Far as maneuvers, obviously you'll always want White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge as those become available; really powerful, unique effects. Well, you have them in your line-up already so perhaps I needn't expound on their virtues.

I really like picking up Leading the Charge -stance perhaps even over a 3rd level one (though Pearl of Black Doubt is great too); it's a team benefit and it goes superbly with Pouncing Charge (the 5th level Tiger Claw charge). If you can pick up Pounce from an auxiliary source (Barbarian is the typical one but there are some feat-based options too as well as Polymorph), White Raven charges and Bounding Assault (Diamond Mind) combo even more superbly with it.

I recommend looking into Manticore Parry when you get that high. Good counters are valuable and being able to reflect an attack on another enemy is just sweet. I do think you want to shore up your Will-save with Moment of Perfect Mind too, but that could easily become Diamond Defense down the line. It's not a horrible idea to pick up an extra stance or two with Martial Stance; the Warblade selection is pretty good and you want a mix of utility and combat ones.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Eldariel, thanks for your detailed suggestions.
    From current party tactics looks that only my character will use charge on regular basis, that's why i plan to skip Leading the Charge stance. Do you think it's worth picking even only for one character?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmord View Post
    Eldariel, thanks for your detailed suggestions.
    From current party tactics looks that only my character will use charge on regular basis, that's why i plan to skip Leading the Charge stance. Do you think it's worth picking even only for one character?
    I've picked it up on a solo character. Scaling by initiator level is really strong on higher levels. It's kind of weird in that much like Blood in the Water, it's a 1st level stance that only really comes onto its own in the mid-levels. On level 20, getting a charging full attack adding 20 to each attack is pretty great especially if you have other multipliers to throw on top of that. My Eternal Blade Archer setup has a +1 Valorous Quarterstaff in the Elvencraft Bow and a level of Barbarian picking up Pounce. Activate Boots of Speed, switch to Leading the Charge, pick up Bounding Assault from Eternal Training (or use Eternal Training for bonuses with Bounding Assault readied), start Whirling Frenzy, initiate: move 240' feet (by air if needed), 6 attacks at +37/+37/+37/+32/+27/+22 for 2d6+24 Str+2 enhancement+34 Leading the Charge = 69 average each (so at Power Attack -5 against a target with AC 35 and DR 15/-, the average damage is around 303 oneshotting a Balor). The beauty of all this is that it's extremely low investment; Whirling Frenzy, which you'd want anyways, an 8k weapon (which on level 20 is nothing), a 1st level stance, with everything else kinda falling in place inherently at no real investment.

Of course, lacking Pounce inherently restricts you somewhat but you can still easily use Pouncing Charge from Tiger Claw; everything else is the same except you're suspect to the usual Pounce movement restrictions. But you have means to deal with those and it's good for splatting people.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2019-03-22 at 08:37 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.