New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default fate/luck manipulation rerolls

I seem to have a knack for rolling natural 1s whenever it is most inconvenient; especially saving throws.

I know there are several items that allows one to remake a roll, and I was looking for one of them. I know the mantle of second chances, but surely there can be something more cost-effective.

What are my options for rerolling dice?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: fate/luck manipulation rerolls

There are prcs, domains and spells, and feats that are available. You could also build to immunities and saves. Are you interested in those ideas?

I don't know any items of the top of my head.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I managed to bypass saving throws with a Swordsage I made.

Picked up Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, and Mind over Body as maneuvers to replace saving throws with Concentration checks that don't fail on a 1. I had 18 Constitution and max ranks in Concentration. Additionally I picked up a Cloak of Steady Spellcasting(for +5 to the checks). At higher levels I grabbed the Steady Concentration Feat to always take 10 on Concentration checks.

At higher levels I pretty much got out of having to make saving throws a lot of the time, and Swordsages also get Evasion to help even further.
    Last edited by Dunsparce; 2019-03-20 at 12:27 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

ok, maybe i should have been clearer.

I already have a build, and i already am level 14. i can get items or feats, and this thing is not important enough to spend feats on unless they also give me something else.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    ok, maybe i should have been clearer.

I already have a build, and i already am level 14. i can get items or feats, and this thing is not important enough to spend feats on unless they also give me something else.
    If there is some planning of when the encounter will be, benediction cast by a cleric ally is a great 2nd level spell that has a 10 min / level duration so 140 mins for a 2nd level spell. Buy him some pearls of power so 4,000 GP or 2,000 GP if you craft them.

Benediction comes from complete champion and it gives you a +2 luck bonus to saves. But the better part of it is you can discharge the spell's remaining duration to get a luck based reroll. With this luck based reroll you can use it on a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check after seeing the result of the initial roll, but before finding out whether it succeeds or fails. Only downside to this spell is the cleric can't use this spell on it self (without using tricks) for you are giving your allies a divine boom with the benediction, a divine blessing (benediction being a word that means blessing.)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: fate/luck manipulation rerolls

Well what IS your build? Options will vary depending on the abilities you have.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel give you a pool of luck rerolls with each feat giving you a particular thing to use them on, as well as the Court of Thieves location

Martial Study (Diamond Mind) or a Ring of Diamond Mind can get you the maneuvers.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    Well what IS your build? Options will vary depending on the abilities you have.
    I am a monk focusing on fighting casters. My second focus (for when we fight anything else) is tripping, so i can help my team even though i have a low damage otherwise.
    Basically, I want to be hard to kill with magic, which means (among others) boosting my saving throws to the sky - which is why I am annoyed that I still fail many of them for rolling poorly. I am taking a couple of PrC, mostly to get the +2 to saving throws at first level , but only after the DM agreed that I could swap damage progression for spell resistance progression.
    Don't tell me it's weak; I know, and I have fun with it. It's also fairly effective at its chosen task at the optimization level we're using.

So, nothing fancy about my build. I just want an item or two.

From google, I got the mantle of second chances (which I already knew since a party member got it), and the luck blade, which would be the most cost-effective because it also gives a further +1 to saving throws stacking with what I already have. the luck blade, however, I'd need to wield to have the bonus; i could wield the sword and still fight unarmed, but I don't like that kind of rule lawyering. the DM said that I could get the same effect on a ring or amulet.
    Couldn't find anything more, because those two items, plus discussions on luck feats, flooded the results. I am looking for more ooptions to pick from.
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2019-03-21 at 05:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I am a monk focusing on fighting casters. My second focus (for when we fight anything else) is tripping, so i can help my team even though i have a low damage otherwise.
    Basically, I want to be hard to kill with magic, which means (among others) boosting my saving throws to the sky - which is why I am annoyed that I still fail many of them for rolling poorly. I am taking a couple of PrC, mostly to get the +2 to saving throws at first level , but only after the DM agreed that I could swap damage progression for spell resistance progression.
    Don't tell me it's weak; I know, and I have fun with it. It's also fairly effective at its chosen task at the optimization level we're using.

So, nothing fancy about my build. I just want an item or two.

From google, I got the mantle of second chances (which I already knew since a party member got it), and the luck blade, which would be the most cost-effective because it also gives a further +1 to saving throws stacking with what I already have. the luck blade, however, I'd need to wield to have the bonus; i could wield the sword and still fight unarmed, but I don't like that kind of rule lawyering. the DM said that I could get the same effect on a ring or amulet.
    Couldn't find anything more, because those two items, plus discussions on luck feats, flooded the results. I am looking for more ooptions to pick from.
    By any chance, do you have a high-level Cleric in your party? Because there's a 7th-level Cleric spell for making such rerolls.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Thedez View Post
    By any chance, do you have a high-level Cleric in your party? Because there's a 7th-level Cleric spell for making such rerolls.
    what is the spell? I don't know it.

regardless, i prefer a source that is always available, because i may need it at any time. Especially during downtime, when every character is minding his business and we may get split.
    Last session, for example, i rolled a 1 against what appeared to be scrying. 2 would have saved.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

You could take two levels of Paladin and the serenity feat to add Wisdom to saves, assuming your wisdom is good.

Besides that and multiclassing, your best bet is probably spells. Whether it's something like Shalantha's Delicate Disk or Craft Contingent Spell or UMD or whatever. Ask if you could put wand Chambers into a luck-gauntlet (instead of a luck blade.).

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

Ring of Nine Lives, MIC 126: …"Also, once per day as an immediate action, you can expend a charge when you fail a saving throw to treat the saving throw as a success"...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Not sure what you can work into your build, but the Pride domain lets you reroll every "1" you roll on saving throws. A cleric or Divine Crusader Dip could grab that pretty easily, although it is a little late to add on Sacred Fist.

Alternatively the planar touchstone feat with access to the Catalogues of Enlightenment grants a domain power.

Either way it only helps with "1" saving throws, but "luckly" it is unlimited uses per day (if rolling lots of 1's to increase use of the ability is lucky )

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    Ring of Nine Lives, MIC 126: …"Also, once per day as an immediate action, you can expend a charge when you fail a saving throw to treat the saving throw as a success"...
    This is what I came to post. Not terribly cost effective, but it just works.

Leadership for a Psion with Fate of One is the "cheapest" reroll factory, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bphill561 View Post
    Not sure what you can work into your build, but the Pride domain lets you reroll every "1" you roll on saving throws. A cleric or Divine Crusader Dip could grab that pretty easily, although it is a little late to add on Sacred Fist.

Alternatively the planar touchstone feat with access to the Catalogues of Enlightenment grants a domain power.

Either way it only helps with "1" saving throws, but "luckly" it is unlimited uses per day (if rolling lots of 1's to increase use of the ability is lucky )
    Pride and Luck domains. Possibly the best 1-level dip for this scenario. Pity Monk doesn't like dips.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

would be perfect, if it didn't have limited charges.

16. - Top - End - #16

RangerGuy

5,000gp to treat a failed save as a successful save, not even a reroll, but burn 5k and I save no matter what I roll? The key to having unlimited charges is always having a spare...what would you prefer?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Nothing a little cheesy abuse of Ancestral Relic couldn't handle.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

5,000gp to treat a failed save as a successful save, not even a reroll, but burn 5k and I save no matter what I roll? The key to having unlimited charges is always having a spare...what would you prefer?
    Ok, the item is very useful. it saves your life, as the name implies. it's as expensive as a raise dead, but it saves you a level.
    However, it is so expensive to use that i'm never going to use it unless it saves my life. If I roll 1 against domination, I try to shake it off the next round. If I roll a 1 against scrying, I hope it won't have any dire consequence.

May be worth getting later, though.

right now, something ripped off of a luck blade seems my best bet

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Phant's Luckstones, which are in Ghostwalk I believe, give a reroll and are destroyed afterwards. 1k each. I stockpile them at higher levels.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

Ok, the item is very useful. it saves your life, as the name implies. it's as expensive as a raise dead, but it saves you a level.
    However, it is so expensive to use that i'm never going to use it unless it saves my life. If I roll 1 against domination, I try to shake it off the next round. If I roll a 1 against scrying, I hope it won't have any dire consequence.

May be worth getting later, though.

right now, something ripped off of a luck blade seems my best bet
    And how do you know what you're saving against?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

And how do you know what you're saving against?
    We're not so hardcore that we make spellcraft checks every time and get told secretly. Generally the dm goes like "he casts dominate person on you, roll a will save"
    If i had to guess every time, then the object would be practically useless. Or i'd have to hope to get lucky with the 2 ranks in spellcraft i took to get mage slayer

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

what is the spell? I don't know it.
    I don't know a 7th-level cleric spell off the top of my head, but there do exist Warp Destiny and Choose Destiny from Races of Destiny. Both are from the Destiny domain; Warp Destiny is a 6th-level immediate-action cast that lets you reroll a failed save with +CL bonus (or get +CL to AC against an attack that hit you and recheck whether it hit), while Choose Destiny is a 9th-level round/level personal buff that lets you roll all your attack rolls, skill/ability checks and saves twice and pick the better one.

Amulet of Fortune Prevailing from MIC gives 1/day immediate-action reroll for 5k, but it's before success or failure. Greater Crystal of Lifekeeping is an armour crystal that gives +5 to saves and 1/day reroll failed save against stuff Death Ward blocks for 5k. Greater Crystal of Mind Cloaking is an armour crystal that gives +5 to saves and 1/day reroll failed save against [Mind-Affecting] for 10k.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.