New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default How the heck do you cast a spell with a 24-hour casting time?

A question that I can tell will be too much for the simple RAW question thread...

Some spells (like Awaken) require a 24-hour casting time. How is it even remotely possible for a living spellcaster?

I looked everywhere and there seems to be no particular rule about it; however, casting a spell with a casting time longer than 1 round is a full-round action, every round, and any distraction can require a concentration check.

That gotta be harrowing (although possible) for a casting of 1 hour, but 24 hours? The spellcaster is bound to get hungry, tired, needing the bathroom, or just plain bored out of his/her skull way before the spellcasting is completed.

(Yes, a lich might be able to pull it off... on the condition of having a greater attention span than Xykon.)

How could this be adjudicated in game terms?

And before anyone mention it, I know about the Rapid Spell metamagic feat. Which I consider pretty much a requirement for any spellcaster planning to cast a 24-hour spell, if only to reduce the hassle for everybody.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: How the heck do you cast a spell with a 24-hour casting time?

If a spell takes more than an hour to cast, I use the wording from Legend Lore to cover off on this, since that spell can take even several weeks. It might not be a general rule but it's good enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A question that I can tell will be too much for the simple RAW question thread...

Some spells (like Awaken) require a 24-hour casting time. How is it even remotely possible for a living spellcaster?

I looked everywhere and there seems to be no particular rule about it; however, casting a spell with a casting time longer than 1 round is a full-round action, every round, and any distraction can require a concentration check.

That gotta be harrowing (although possible) for a casting of 1 hour, but 24 hours? The spellcaster is bound to get hungry, tired, needing the bathroom, or just plain bored out of his/her skull way before the spellcasting is completed.

(Yes, a lich might be able to pull it off... on the condition of having a greater attention span than Xykon.)

And before anyone mention it, I know about the Rapid Spell metamagic feat. Which I consider pretty much a requirement for any spellcaster planning to cast a 24-hour spell, if only to reduce the hassle for everybody.
    Utilising a greater diaper of holding and a Everfull Mug of black coffee.

A lot of these spells have clauses that allow you to kinda sorta rest. Awaken doesn't which, I guess, means it is meant to be a harrowing endeavour?
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I actually don't think it is really that unreasonable, after all simply having a ring of sustenance seems to take care of most of the issues for a cheap price of 2500gp. Anyways there are some real world things we can point to, for example there are some buddhist rituals that require fasting and constant prayer for an entire day. Yes it would be pretty rough for your standard muggle but considering that we are talking magic here and keeping in mind the powers of something as simple as ring of sustenance I don't think it is unreasonable to cast a spell for 24 hours.

5. - Top - End - #5

People can easily go 24 hours without eating, drinking, sleeping, or pooping, and with a little pre casting dehydration, going 24 hours without pissing also seems completely reasonable.
    Last edited by frogglesmash; 2019-03-21 at 04:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: How the heck do you cast a spell with a 24-hour casting time?

I agree with the legend lore answer. It states in part. Normal functions (eating, drinking, biological and even sleep) however you can not cast any other spell.

Remember part of that 24 hours is drawing the glyphs and using the material components in the proper order.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    If a spell takes more than an hour to cast, I use the wording from Legend Lore to cover off on this, since that spell can take even several weeks. It might not be a general rule but it's good enough for me.
    You know, you gotta enjoy those moments when the rulings you've had for years turn out to have some support in the actual rules

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Feantar View Post
    A lot of these spells have clauses that allow you to kinda sorta rest. Awaken doesn't which, I guess, means it is meant to be a harrowing endeavour?
    Well awaken is mostly cast by Druids, and they generally don't mind eating berries and pissing in the woods. I'm sure that standing as still as a tree for 24 hours has got to be entry level Druid training. How do you think they commune with rocks and plants? Also, plant forms for wild shape.

If you want to speak to trees, you must think like a tree. Feel what the trees feel. When you become a tree in your mind, you can become a tree in reality.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2019-03-21 at 09:46 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's not unreasonable to assume that a long ritual may allow short breaks to take care of physiological needs. Unless it wa specifically researched by a lich, in which case it may be an intentional drawback so that a living caster discovering the spell could not easily replicate it. If that was the case, I'd ask for a concentration check to remain attentive and awake all the time.

Still, even assuming no pauses are allowed, a ring of sustenance and a diaper will allow success. It may not be very dignified, but power is worth some sacrifices
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

just plain bored out of his/her skull
    Given the amount of time it takes to master the wizard and cleric classes, I'm fairly confident in saying people particularly subject to that would have been weeded out.

It is hard, but not impossible, to maintain an activity for 24 hours. Some people have spent over 24 hours gaming continuously (though I would strongly advise against this, as that's the kind of session length where fatalities start to show up). Since all you need for somatic components is a free hand, it shouldn't be particularly more physically tiring than gaming, so you probably wouldn't pass out from exhaustion within that time (I'd recommend sitting down, though). You'd need natural ability and a fair bit of practice to be able to speak for that long continuously, though Strom Thurmond seems to have managed it (South Carolina senator who filibustered one of the US Civil Rights Acts for over 24 hours; turns out bad people can be determined too).

The food issue is very minor (I've gone over 24 hours without food myself, and while I could barely stand at about the 28-hour mark I was alright until shortly before then), but the fluid and excretion problems are noteworthy (not insurmountable).

I will note that the casting times of some epic spells are impossible to achieve without magical aid, although given the whole "epic spellcaster" thing this should be easily available.
    Last edited by magic9mushroom; 2019-03-22 at 07:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Long-duration casting actions probably work more akin to magic item creation than "normal" spellcasting. Yes, you can go take a quick break for a meal, as long as you pause at a stage where the spell is stable. No, you can't leave it too long, or it will discharge/break down/get disturbed. You're not prepping any new spells during this time, so the fact that you're only catching naps of 0.25-2 hours max isn't hurting your functionality.

It may even be that you could leave it indefinitely and come back to it, technically, but leaving the setup you've done in place is not practical for most spells. Coming back to it cold might require restarting just to figure things out, or it might have time-specific variables that you've worked out once but have to re-work because the stars are out of alignment, now.

I'm even inclined to suggest that there's little to no "preparation" of those spells; casting and preparation in the slot likely happen more or less together, or the "prep" was some very basic start-up stuff for it that you can come back to, later.

It's like any job where you produce a work product that takes hours and hours to do. Even a janitor cleaning up all the bathrooms in a massive airport could tell you that, if he stops for too long, all his hard work is undone and he has to start over.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Awaken has a verbal component. I think the better question is how do you keep chanting for 24 hours without messing up any of the words on a dry throat, unable to pause even to re-saliva your mouth? Now eating, drinking or sleeping, I agree those are more than possible for 24 hours.

I agree that most likely taking care of basic needs is allowed in long casting time spells. But I also agree that even if you're a harsh DM about it, it's still possible. Well, as long as you're not actually chanting in every single round.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2019-03-22 at 06:12 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Long-duration casting actions probably work more akin to magic item creation than "normal" spellcasting. Yes, you can go take a quick break for a meal, as long as you pause at a stage where the spell is stable. No, you can't leave it too long, or it will discharge/break down/get disturbed. You're not prepping any new spells during this time, so the fact that you're only catching naps of 0.25-2 hours max isn't hurting your functionality.

It may even be that you could leave it indefinitely and come back to it, technically, but leaving the setup you've done in place is not practical for most spells. Coming back to it cold might require restarting just to figure things out, or it might have time-specific variables that you've worked out once but have to re-work because the stars are out of alignment, now.

I'm even inclined to suggest that there's little to no "preparation" of those spells; casting and preparation in the slot likely happen more or less together, or the "prep" was some very basic start-up stuff for it that you can come back to, later.

It's like any job where you produce a work product that takes hours and hours to do. Even a janitor cleaning up all the bathrooms in a massive airport could tell you that, if he stops for too long, all his hard work is undone and he has to start over.
    This is a nice theory, but it has nothing to do with the rules (apart from the rules for Legend Lore, which are an exception). Speaking of rules, here's Rules Compendium on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by RC p125
    LONGER TIMES
    Casting a spell that has a casting time longer than 1 minute
    doesn’t usually happen in combat. If it does, every round
    of casting requires a full-round action, and all the actions
    required to cast the spell must be consecutive and uninterrupted,
    or the spell fails.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

if a dude can swim for 50 hours then a caster can cast a spell for 24 hours
    http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...est-ocean-swim

you forget that once you get to 5 level your characters are basically super human.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    I agree with the legend lore answer. It states in part. Normal functions (eating, drinking, biological and even sleep) however you can not cast any other spell.
    I love the implicit assumption that eating, drinking, and sleeping are not biological.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    This is a nice theory, but it has nothing to do with the rules (apart from the rules for Legend Lore, which are an exception). Speaking of rules, here's Rules Compendium on the matter.
    What action does it take to poop and pee (or eat and drink for that matter) by RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I love the implicit assumption that eating, drinking, and sleeping are not biological.
    I think he was trying to say "pooping/peeing" in a nicer way, much like how online players say "bio break" when they step away from the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Torpin
    if a dude can swim for 50 hours then a caster can cast a spell for 24 hours….
    From this page:

"…Rogošić took drinks and food in the sea, and in this way did as many as 14 smaller meals, primarily fruit rich in carbohydrates and water."

Even a world-record swimmer can’t swim constantly, nor continue without food and drink. As others have said, it's completely reasonable to take small breaks.

Last edited by Palanan; 2019-03-23 at 12:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Human beings can go up to approx
    75 days without pooping
    21 days without food
    7 days without water
    36 hours without peeing

A 24 hour casting time is not an insurmountable problem that needs a lot of explaining.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Who said the spell was invented by humans? I bet elves would have no problem casting for 24 hours straight. They probably laughed when human druids tried to do the same thing and ended up soiling themselves.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Troacctid
    I bet elves would have no problem casting for 24 hours straight.
    No, it’s dwarves who find it hilarious that humans can’t manage a week of continual casting.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    Looks like that rule only applies if the spellcasting happens in combat.

22. - Top - End - #22

The metamagic Rapid Spell lowers it to one hour, (which is very silly since 1 day and 24 hours are different things when it comes to metamagic even though that is semantics at best, insane at worst), which is more manageable, but otherwise yeah it’s a bit grueling. Great for druids who haven’t got anything better to do because they’re jobless nincompoops, but a wizard has got stuff to do.

The other one like that I know of is Distilled Joy, and I’m not sure if anyone without that metamagic is really going to spend 24 hours effort to get a 100gp holy potion of dubious cleanliness that doesn’t even heal more than a paper cut, and gives you good vibes.

Maybe on an accelerated time plane it can be automated?
    Last edited by Malphegor; 2019-03-24 at 06:56 AM.
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Personally, I've never really thought of this and when my players have done something like this I say "Sure" and that's the end of it.

Thought I guess the assumption would be that you go into an almost trance-like state, getting so caught up in the magic, and having the weave flowing all around you in such an active way that you'd be almost meditating while casting such a long spell.
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    Human beings can go up to approx
    75 days without pooping
    HOW??? By eating just barely enough to survive?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    HOW??? By eating just barely enough to survive?
    Severe constipation.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    Severe constipation.
    I can't tell if you're joking and that's very worrying....

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

You're assuming that 24 hours of casting time is 24 hours of constant energy, effort and work where that's not written anywhere by RAW. I don't see it anywhere at least. Spell doesn't mean you have to be chanting all 24 hours of the casting.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I can't tell if you're joking and that's very worrying....
    This is where I got my number from.
    Last edited by frogglesmash; 2019-03-24 at 09:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The longest US filibuster (constant talking by definition) done by one person was 24 hours and 18 minutes. That didn't involve somatic components, but it also wasn't delivered by an adventuring wizard with a huge amount of experience chanting.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.