New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What are the house rules at your table?

I am curious what house rules different DMs have at their tables. I will give two I use:

-More than one round of combat interrupts a Long Rest.

-Casting Goodberry consumes the material component (mistletoe). Mistletoe must be reasonably fresh.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are the house rules at your table?

No multiclassing, mostly because there's a wide gulf of optimization ability among the players, and a complication like multiclassing would probably result in even bigger differences in effectiveness. Though we do use feats.

A short rest only takes a few minutes, but it's only possible to take two short rests per day. This one came about because the DM was having a difficult time pacing adventures in such a way that allowed for hour-long short rests.

Guidance, Enhance Ability, and Haste no longer require concentration. I'm not sure what the rationale was for this one: The two guys who take turns DMing just told the rest of us one day, and nobody argued.

No more than one summoned creature at a time, to avoid slowing down play.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Not at my table, but at some friends table:
    1) Rarer long rest (once a month, I think)
    2) Nerf to any spell (and other capacities) that would prevent politics from behaving as "normal medieval politics", so mostly resurections and divinations (like zone of truth).
    3) Chaotic initiative: initiative is rerolled every turn. Turn actions are anounced by everyone and then resolved (meaning that friendly fire is quite likely with AoE).
    4) Additional ability: Influence (and some associated skills), which allows to earn money, win justice trials against ennemies, and defend against them... [3 additional points granted for point-buy creation]
    5) Counterspell is banned (which is the only change I really disagree with)

Multiclassing is also implicitly banned in all the tables I know, but probably negotiable without too many problems if you really want to.
    Last edited by MoiMagnus; 2019-03-23 at 08:43 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    Not at my table, but at some friends table:
    1) Rarer long rest (once a month, I think)
    2) Nerf to any spell (and other capacities) that would prevent politics from behaving as "normal medieval politics", so mostly resurections and divinations (like zone of truth).
    3) Chaotic initiative: initiative is rerolled every turn. Turn actions are anounced by everyone and then resolved (meaning that friendly fire is quite likely with AoE).
    4) Additional ability: Influence (and some associated skills), which allows to earn money, win justice trials against ennemies, and defend against them... [3 additional points granted for point-buy creation]
    5) Counterspell is banned (which is the only change I really disagree with)

Multiclassing is also implicitly banned in all the tables I know, but probably negotiable without too many problems if you really want to.
    That game sounds pretty hardcore, especially compared to the houserules at my table:
    -Free level 1 feat, yes, even to VHuman
    -Passive scores recieve a modifier of -5 when determining a floor for infrequent activities, such as trap detection. It made sense at the time, but now that dungeon delving has become our literal job in game I'm a bit confused why it's still there.
    -You can ask to have the damage type changed to personalize most spells (Lightning Lure changed to Radiant Pull, for example). This will usually result in a lower damage die for the spell however.
    -Feats can be trained if you've acquired enough favor with an NPC skilled in areas that would apply to the feat, for example, we had earned a favor with Lady Rosznar (The Black Viper) and she trained our Monk to use the Observant feat.

You probably have noticed but we like feats. DM does a pretty solid job at maintaining the idea that we are mortal despite the fact that most of the characters have at least 3 feats currrently, at level 12.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    No multiclassing, mostly because there's a wide gulf of optimization ability among the players, and a complication like multiclassing would probably result in even bigger differences in effectiveness.
    I thought of banning multi-classing but I decided against it because all my 5e campaigns have started at Level 1. A real cost-benefit analysis is required when choosing between a 5x PC or a 4x/1y PC because the cool class benefits don't usually happen until Level 2 or 3. One thing I like about 5e is that each level increase gets you something cool beyond more hp (class ability, spell level, ASI, extra attack, etc) and this is usually worth more than what a level 1 in a class has to offer. So 5x is usually better than 4y.

At my table, it usually takes 2-3 sessions to gain a level. So a 4x/1y character has to wait to get the benefits at 2y. I also use point buy for ability scores so multi-classing often means using up an ASI.

I think I might ban multiclassing if the we were starting at a higher level. Not sure though. It would depend on the players and the campaign.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Potion side effects for repeat healing potion chugging. An increasing con save DC for every healing potion chugged, after the first, before a night's rest. (We also used gritty realism so that's a short rest).

If the DC was met, the healing potion worked as normal. If the DC was exceeded by a lot the healing potion healed at 1.5x. Nat 20 was 2x, nat 1 was zero healing. Failed save was .5x healing, and failed save by a lot was .25x healing.

Come to think of it, it may have been a con check instead of save. It was for sure con though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

General:
    - Encumbrance changes to a number of items equal to the characters STR x1, x2, and x3 instead of an amount of pounds equal to STR x5, x10, and x15. (Objects under 1 pound weigh nothing, object over 10 pounds count as two items or more.)
    - Spells and effect durations of 1 minute last until the end of the encounter.
    - Group Initiative.
    - Only 10% of XP for defeating enemies, additional full milestone XP for completing goals and finding magic items.
    - Every time you make a death saving throw, you get one level of exhaustion, whether you succeed or fail.
    - Random encounter rolls every 10 minutes in dungeons and when the party makes loud noises; every 6 miles and once per night outdoors. Encounter on a 1, how busy the area is determines what size of dice is being rolled.
    - Using Morale
    - Randomly encountered creatures and NPCs that aren't guards react randomly to the PCs. 2d6: 2 attack, 3-5 threatening, 6-8 guarded, 9-11 indifferent, 12 friendly.
    (I really like the procedures of B/X.)

Campaign Specific:
    - Maximum level 6th.
    - Only Totem Warrior Barbarian, Champion Fighter, Arctic/Coast/Forest/Mountain/Swamp Druid, Thief Rogue, Archfey/Fiend/Old One Warlock, Diviner/Enchanter/Illusionist/Transmuter Wizard, and Lore Bard with Cleric spell list.
    - Rogues can start with proficency in Survival.
    - No light spells except dancing lights and faerie fire.
    - Level up only on the start of a new year and only one level per year.
    - Not tested, but I really want to try it: 8 hour short rest, 8 day long rest. All spellcasters recover some spell slots with Arcane Recovery/Natural Recovery at every short rest.
    Last edited by Yora; 2019-03-23 at 09:42 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A few of ours:

If you are a Cleric, Eldritch Knight, Spellsword, Ranger, whatever, you have figured out how to cast spells with weapons and shields in your hand.

Our GM likes the option for flanking and being flanked.

Animal companions or steeds that you invest a certain amount of time, money, and initiative into can gain hit points and improve over time as an NPC companion.

Bonus Actions can be taken at any point in a turn, and a bonus action can be used as an action.
    Example: A Shadow Monk / Cleric could cast Spiritual Weapon and Shadow Teleport in the same round, even though these are two bonus actions, and not allowed by RAW.
    Rationale: an action is an action, and bonus actions are just quick and easy to perform.
    Spell Limitations still apply.

Magic weapons with a +bonus grant you a bonus equal to your proficiency bonus rounded down.
    They draw their energy from yourself.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have a ton but the few that tend to be at every table:
    No one hand ba attack with PaM
    No static ablity increasing magic items
    No alignments
    Variant ablity/skill rule is always an option
    Summoning picks are up to players just no pixie crap.
    Just about every npc has some form of resistance/ vulnerable added.
    Players can veto a character death if deemed unfair
    Prodigy feat is open to all races
    NPCs cannot make a critical hit on 1-2 lv characters.
    homebrew is allowed after review and table approval.
    Inspiration is given with any good pun made.(add 1d4 to any roll made same session)
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by ImproperJustice View Post
    A few of ours:

If you are a Cleric, Eldritch Knight, Spellsword, Ranger, whatever, you have figured out how to cast spells with weapons and shields in your hand.

Our GM likes the option for flanking and being flanked.

Animal companions or steeds that you invest a certain amount of time, money, and initiative into can gain hit points and improve over time as an NPC companion.

Bonus Actions can be taken at any point in a turn, and a bonus action can be used as an action.
    Example: A Shadow Monk / Cleric could cast Spiritual Weapon and Shadow Teleport in the same round, even though these are two bonus actions, and not allowed by RAW.
    Rationale: an action is an action, and bonus actions are just quick and easy to perform.
    Spell Limitations still apply.

Magic weapons with a +bonus grant you a bonus equal to your proficiency bonus rounded down.
    They draw their energy from yourself.
    On the ba as action idea
    Could a cleric activate spiritual weapon twice a turn then? How does this effect spell casting rules regarding no spell above cantrip after using ba spell?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The FLGS has two common house rules, both of which I disagree with.
    #1 Critical failures on a 1 when rolling attacks
    #2 Flanking gives advantage

Due to #1, all the characters I build to play there will be halflings. The reroll on 1s is like an extra +.25 to +.75 on all rolls over time (depending on what AC/DC I'm up against), and the ability to avoid the 5% bad stuff chance is excellent. I would say especially so for any higher level characters who make multiple attack rolls (Action surging fighter 20 has a 40% chance to drop his sword, stab himself, etc.).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Have you told your FLGS that they are bad and should feel bad?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth napoleon_in_rag:

I thought of banning multi-classing but I decided against it because all my 5e campaigns have started at Level 1. A real cost-benefit analysis is required when choosing between a 5x PC or a 4x/1y PC because the cool class benefits don't usually happen until Level 2 or 3. One thing I like about 5e is that each level increase gets you something cool beyond more hp (class ability, spell level, ASI, extra attack, etc) and this is usually worth more than what a level 1 in a class has to offer. So 5x is usually better than 4y.
    But that's just it: Good optimizers can recognize when the stuff they get by staying in a class is worth more than the first level of a new class, or when one or two more levels will make a new class worthwhile in the long run. But some of the players in my group would, if allowed, pick up a different class at some random level just because they liked the flavor, and end up with something that doesn't work well at all.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    That game sounds pretty hardcore
    I think they started at level 4.
    And the campaign has a LOT of non-combat plot, so those homerules rules have for goal to push players finding other ways than fighting (for example, making false accusations and put your ennemies in prison, or come with the guard, ...)
    The one long rest per month isn't hardcore because the average number of fight per month is lesser than 5.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    But that's just it: Good optimizers can recognize when the stuff they get by staying in a class is worth more than the first level of a new class, or when one or two more levels will make a new class worthwhile in the long run. But some of the players in my group would, if allowed, pick up a different class at some random level just because they liked the flavor, and end up with something that doesn't work well at all.
    I don't the problem is multi-classing itself but rather some classes being so front loaded that 1-2 lv net a huge boost. That combined with the fact that over 1/2 the classes' cap stones are garbage.

16. - Top - End - #16

NinjaGirl

Thrown weapons can be drawn as part of the throw
    Can cast bonus action cantrip on same turn as action leveled spell and can use reaction spells on same turn as bonus action spell
    Nat 1 on attack rolls have a 1/20 chance of fumbling for a variety of effects
    Reroll 1s on HP for level up and on healing effects that don't use d4s

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post

Due to #1, all the characters I build to play there will be halflings. The reroll on 1s is like an extra +.25 to +.75 on all rolls over time (depending on what AC/DC I'm up against), and the ability to avoid the 5% bad stuff chance is excellent. I would say especially so for any higher level characters who make multiple attack rolls (Action surging fighter 20 has a 40% chance to drop his sword, stab himself, etc.).
    How does the DM determine what a critical failure is. Do they have a table or is it based on a whim?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

He has a big table, I think d100-based. I'm told there's a different one for critical misses with spells also.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    On the ba as action idea
    Could a cleric activate spiritual weapon twice a turn then? How does this effect spell casting rules regarding no spell above cantrip after using ba spell?
    You are still limited to one spell a turn, per the normal rules. You could cast spiritual weapon as a bonus action, then only use a cantrip.

You could cast it, and on following turns attack twice with it, if you use your action and bonus action to do so.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

ClericGuy

1: Two short rest per long rest limitation, but they're only a few minutes long (quick breather).
    2: Everyone gets a feat at 1st level. Vumans arent used, but Humans get a bonus skill
    3: Costly material components are always consumed by spell casting.
    4: Natural 1 always fails a save. Natural 20 always passes.
    5: Players can nominate each other for inspiration, in addition to the DM awarding it. Any good roleplaying gets it, as does a funny joke, or one liner.
    6: Rogues can only sneak attack 1/ turn, on their turn.
    7: Witchbolts d12 scales with level on repeating damage. On a hit, it forces a Strength save or be restrained (you repeat the save at the start of each of your turns to break free).
    8: Magic missile shenanigans (empowered evocation/ hexblades curse) dont work on more than one missile
    9: Martial adept gives 2 dice.
    10: Warlocks can use Arcanum 'slots' to upcast Warlock spells known.
    11: Healing spirit is banned
    12: You cant cast a spell with the extra action granted from Action surge.
    13: Barbarians get 1 less rage/ long rest, but gain a Fighting style (Protection, Dueling, TWF, GWS) at 2nd. 1st Frenzy of the day doesnt cost exhaustion for Frenzy Barbs.
    14: Stunning fist is 1/ turn and costs 2 Ki. Increase monk MA damage dice by 1 step (1d10 becomes 2d6, increases to 2d8 at 20th)
    15: +/- Magic shields and Armor dont stack. +/- Magic Bows only grant bonus to hit; arrows only to damage. Anything that buffs Save DCs or Spell attack rolls doesnt stack.
    16: Archery F/S grants 1 free shot as a reaction to a hostile creature you can see starting its turn. No +2 to hit.
    17: Sharpshooter treats full cover as half cover and ignores half cover.
    18: Superior athlete grants Champions Prof x 1.5 to Str, Dex and Con checks. Survivor adds 1/2 prof to all saves (in addition to its normal benefits).
    19: You're dead if damage reduces you to 0 HP, and there is more than (the higher of 10 OR your Max HP x 1/4) left over.
    20: Weapon specialization feat: Req: Fighter 6, adds Gain +1 to hit, gain +2 damage with the weapon. Advantage on checks/ saves to be disarmed. Doesnt use your free object interaction to draw/ stow the weapon. Can re-train the weapon selected with downtime.
    21: Warrior Born feat: Add +1 to Strength or Dex (Max 20). Gain 1 fighting style from those available to fighters.
    22: Channeler feat: You may take a level of Exhaustion to regain an expended spell slot of up to 5th level. You cant use this feat if you have 4 or more levels of Exhaustion already, or are immune to exhaustion.
    23: Artificer feat: You gain an extra attunement slot. You learn the Detect magic and Identify spells and can cast either spell as rituals.
    24: Medium armor master grants +1 to Str or Dex in addition to its other benefits.
    25: Charger feat bonus damage increases to (5+level). If you hit with this attack, a creature that no more than 1 size larger than you must make a Strength save (DC 8+your proficiency+your Strength) or be knocked prone or pushed back 10' (your choice).
    26: Observant feat lets you use your Passive Perception or Investigation score instead of rolling a Perception or Investigation check instead of the last benefit (no +5 to passive scores).
    27: Simulacra can never have slots higher than 3rd level.
    28: Concentration spells cant be cast in Glyphs of Warding.
    29: Evilly aligned Paladins and Clerics (and N Paladins and Clerics of Evil gods) deal necrotic damage instead of radiant damage with any class feature or spell that ordinarily deals radiant damage.
    30: Reliable talent (Rogue) works on a roll of 2-9.
    31: Archdruid grants resistance to Cold, Fire, Acid, Thunder and Lightning damage, and lets you Plane shift (elemental planes only) 1/long rest, targeting only you. No infinite wild shapes.
    32: Add Aid, Haste and mirror image to the Bard spell list. Remove the Magical secrets class feature everywhere other than at Lore Bard 6, and replace it with 'Greater inspiration' As a bonus action you can expend one of your bardic inspiration die, and grant a number of creatures that can see or hear you (up to your Charisma modifier) a bardic inspiration die. This die is 2 steps lower than your normal die (d12>d10>d8>d6>d4). At 18th level, it is only 1 step lower.
    33: Paladin smite is 1/ turn. +5/-10 feats are 1/turn.

Otherwise, all PHB variant rules are in play (multiclassing, encumbrance, feats etc).

Prett sure thats all of them at the moment.
    Last edited by Malifice; 2019-03-23 at 11:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Off the top of my head:

Dragonborn get the Dragon Hide racial feat from Xanathar's, minus the ASI, as part of their base racial traits.

Small races are no longer disadvantaged by Heavy Weapons. Instead, Heavy Weapons have minimum Strength requirements to wield without disadvantage, as follows: 1d8 = STR 11, 1d10 = STR 13, 1d2/2d6 = STR 15.

Greatclubs are Heavy weapons with a 1d10 damage die.

All non-Heavy melee weapons can be used with Finesse. All non-Two-Handed melee weapons are Versatile.

Critical failures with a melee attack grant an opportunity attack to anyone standing in melee reach of the creature. Critical failures with ranged weapon attack snap the bow/crossbow string, requiring a bonus action (or expending an Extra Attack if the creature has one) to replace it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

ClericGuy

Forgot to add:

34: Rangers gain an extra Ranger class skill (of choice) at 6th (or expertise if they already know it) and again at 13th level, gain the Eagle eye class feature at 9th (can take the Search action as a bonus action), and gain extra attack [2] at 18th level. At 20th level, Foe Slayer grants advantage to attack rolls against favored enemies instead of its normal benefit.
    35: Greatclubs are 1d10 (2 handed, simple, heavy).
    36: 'Monk weapons' are 1d6 (versatile 1d8). Your choice of Slashing, Bludgeoning or Piercing. Fluff them accordingly.

Also, for those of you that insist on 'critical fumbles' please (PLEASE) have them only trigger on the first attack roll from a creature during a turn.

Otherwise Fighters get more clumsy as they advance in level. Monks also.
    Last edited by Malifice; 2019-03-23 at 12:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    - Every time you make a death saving throw, you get one level of exhaustion, whether you succeed or fail.
    I see this one a lot (single level of exhaustion only), and tried it myself.

I find it pushes the players into the 5MWD. It creates a barrier to them pushing on with the adventure. With at least 3 levels of exhaustion on account of dropping to 0 HP, Players will fall back after a single encounter (making dungeons really difficult).

I nixed the Short rest down to a few minutes (but max 2 per long rest) to remove another barrier.

Campaign Specific:
    - Maximum level 6th.
    Ouch! That would be a deal breaker for me I reckon.

Why that limit may I ask?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My biggest is divorcing short and long rests from, well, resting time. Rather, it is tied directly to encounters. Players get the benefits of a long rest after encounter number six and the mechanical benefits of a short rest after encounters two and four. Take that, 15 minute adventuring day!

But I also give back inspiration after every encounter, allow hero points and “count near successes as successes with drawbacks” from the dmg, and allow inspiration to be used retroactively.

On the third hand, I use the array for stats, average hp for hp beyond first level, no multi classes and no feats. Class plus background determines starting equipment.

My players are cool with all this so far.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My group plays via chat online, so there is heavier focus on role play.
    - Counterspell needs to be described by the caster on how it counters the target spell
    - Multiclass isn’t banned, but the PC must seek a ‘mentor’ rather than just learning the new class at level up

And other misc stuff
    - Levels are a partywide level. Makes missing a session not as painful and new players don’t start out lower than the older PCs if one is added mid-game.
    - Everyone has the charger feat for free
    - Eldrich Knight and Arcane Trickster can learn spells from any school

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Winning initiative does not foil surprise. You can still take a reaction after you’re turn has passed. But the surprised condition lasts until the end of the round.

Edit:This is a house rule as some people seem to think I’m posting Otherwise in this topic.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2019-03-23 at 09:16 PM.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

1 PAM and CBE lose bonus action attack but gain a + 1 to stro or dex.

Max hp each level no roll.

Casting invisibility gives you a bonus action skill check to hide and advantage on hide checks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Winning initiative does not foil surprise. You can still take a reaction after you’re turn has passed. But the surprised condition lasts until the end of the round.
    No it doesnt.

There is no surprised condition. If you're surprised you cant act or move on your first turn and you cant take reactions till your turn ends.

If Im surprised on round one, and I beat the initiative check of a nearby assassin by 1 or more, he doesnt get to assasinate me (and I get to take an appropriate reaction to his attack if I have one, such as shield).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post

Ouch! That would be a deal breaker for me I reckon.

Why that limit may I ask?
    I've never played with it, but from what I understand, the point is mainly to build a world were characters and magic beyond level 6 (or level 10) do not exist. So not spell beyond 3rd level (or 5th level).

Which is kind of needed if you want a fully consistent low magic universe where the PCs don't have an exception to the "low magic" rule (though full consistency is far from required to have an interesting game, it is very important to some peoples)

I've also hear of campaigns without level restriction but with fighters only. (or allowing only classes that are at most 1/3 spell-casters, like eldritch knights)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    I've never played with it, but from what I understand, the point is mainly to build a world were characters and magic beyond level 6 (or level 10) do not exist. So not spell beyond 3rd level (or 5th level).

Which is kind of needed if you want a fully consistent low magic universe where the PCs don't have an exception to the "low magic" rule (though full consistency is far from required to have an interesting game, it is very important to some peoples)

I've also hear of campaigns without level restriction but with fighters only. (or allowing only classes that are at most 1/3 spell-casters, like eldritch knights)
    Its got me beat why (out of all the systems out there) you would choose DnD - a super high fantasy high magic game with 20 class levels - if you wanted to emulate such a setting or world.

It's kind of like selecting a Supers system, and banning all super-powers.

If I wanted to run a game where everyone is a schmuck and magic is dangerous and rare, I reckon I'd crack out WHFRP. 'Small but angry dog' and all that.

From a personal preference thing, I'd pass on it I reckon. I quite enjoy high level play, and dont get to do it enough. I've played literally hundreds of games in the 1-6 range. It's where most campaigns end. It's a selling point to me a campaign that goes to 20th (and beyond) presuming a skilled DM that can handle high level play, who has run games to those levels before and is experienced with it.

THat's just a personal preference thing. I prefer playing Achillies or Mordenkainen to an average Joe.