New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Empires!4 Event- Matters of Faith

Bo's brow furrowed as the spirit again tried to plaster its "ambitions" as Isknvald so casually referred to her intent towards semblance of godhood with terms like "required" and that "she alone" could truly solve this problem superior to the will of the great many spirits called together by the Chimes.

"Address your questions on turning away from ambition to me, spirit. You speak my grandfather's name Yald as if it were my own but my heritage is in Noris and even more in my mother Nari. The Duchess Mother gave up all claim to the relics of the Brinefather's corpse, now cursed," his eyes fell across the Overvann and Stormcrown representatives.

"She surrendered the north to its own self management, which you through the Digits now benefit from, and though the Winter has spread all the way to Regno it has entered neither Amham nor Yemur. There is power in humility, spirit. In rejecting power for the sake of one's internal truth. My mother protected my sister and I, shielded us from the dragon which had killed my father and baby brother for defying its will. Rather than seeking further power she embraced her role as Duchess of the Federation shrinking the demesne left to her by her husband in half."

"You may say you are merely ambitious and not a foolhardy spirit possessed with an overconfidence in your ability to fix your mistake of unleashing the Long Winter with only enough power. I find little evidence to support this in your testimony. If what you say is true than your familiarity with the disturbance generating the Long Winter would surely help the Chimes achieve their goal in a permanent fashion. I defer to the Rhunic Animists of the east to adjudicate such a process should you wish to remain as you are but grow under guidance to greater understanding. Of course it seems Overvann is eager to admit a new goddess among their pantheon and it is not my intention to stand between this choice either though I foretell doom for such an attempt."
    Last edited by Roarke; 2019-03-29 at 12:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anhah sits, but does not partake of the food. Addressing the woman possessed by Isknevald, she cries out, Hail, Great Isknevald! Creator of the Long Winter, you were once the slave of Nixir, foulest of beings. However, there is some good in all of us, and spirits are no exception. We, the Frostbinders, are eager to welcome you into the glory of Ignatix. In many ways, you perfectly reflect the struggle of humanity. A conflicted soul, divided in itself between good and evil. Come, end this Long Winter and join those who will revere you, not as a mere one god among many, but as a member of the Three, the true gods who hold the keys to the world in their grasp!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Sigyn

Fingers mere inches from the spirit's upraised hand, Sigyn felt the insidious chill run the length of her arm, striking to the depths of her heart with a half-remembered darkness. But she did not pull away. Indeed, her own eyes flared in response to the gaping voids overcoming Isknvald's host, and the space between their fingertips came alive with crackling arcs of purest white alongside umbral black. Then the moment passed, and with a gasp Sigyn released the breath she'd been holding. She sagged against the table, nodding gratefully to one of the attendants as she was directed towards a newly-prepared seat at the table. Sinking into the cushioned chair, her eyes never left the spirit's host.

"A private audience would please us as well, Isknvald. For in you I also feel the paths we have shared, the half-forgotten footfalls that have guided me to be guided in turn."

She fell silent at the interruption of the Amhan ruler, and seemed at last to remember the greater purpose of the gathering.

"But to the issue at hand, much has already been said. Some here, I gather, would see you humbled as the price for your ambitions. Others would have you abandon your path altogether, and join as lesser voice to a greater chorus. Some would have you change your nature as well as your stature, or perhaps have you sacrifice your dreams in pursuit of some greater good."

Sigyn's eyes circled the assemblage as she spoke, sparing only Cattius.

"I would not presume to advise a spirit. As you say, we stand on different shores, though our hands may reach for the same horizon. But the teachings of Initia are not so narrow as to set you a role before you have even tasted divinity. While we delve the inherent strength of the mortal spirit, there is great wisdom to be found in immortal experience. Proud Regno has embraced the philosophies of a Great Dragon, choosing to accept both the violence and the vision of the Sultana's bloodline. Our Dominion would welcome your adherents with joy, and inscribe the name of Isknvald on the Palace of Mysteries as guide and pupil both. We cannot say where such a path might lead. Indeed, it seems unlikely it would be an easier road than ascending alongside Gods of old. But to walk hand in hand with the Dominion is to find a path purely your own, without judgement or compromise."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Ambition can just as easily lose you a kingdom as win it." Yven said as Norá slipped her hand in his. He glanced aside to her and a faint smile crossed his face as he clasped her hand in return. The king looked back to Esknvald. "In order to keep a Kingdom you need strength and wisdom: Strength to unite, wisdom to guide. Subjects that our shamans can impart upon you, knowledge not only of the mortal realm but cultivated from similar spirits such as yourself. With their support you would have a better chance of catching the notice of Jumi and Sáráhkká and be recognized. A steadier rise to prominence supported by others, though slower, would be much more preferable than a sudden one, as it would be stable and you would have a greater chance to adjust rather than taking it all in at once and crumbling."

"And that," he said as his attention changed from Asknvald to Sigyn. "Would mean that Isknvald need not stand alone, but would have support of shamans and other spirits who would work with it. Yes, you can gain great power alone, but that is a lonely and precarious existence. Because strength and power attract their like, and I believe the Isknvald would prefer the company of allies and friends rather than those who hunger for it and use it for their own ends."

King Yven glanced back to Isknvold and added, "And anybody who claims that they are not judging you is lying to you. Mortals and spirits alike are judgmental, it is in our nature. If you join with the Rhunic Animist we will judge you as we are judged in return, we will compromise as you too will compromise, and should you grow to such heights as Jumi, and Sáráhkká, then it would be strength earned, wisdom hard won, and nobody will doubt your position."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Secret Banquet

Yfga had been listening to the delegates speak, when suddenly she encountered a seeming mental barrier to Clara's plan.

"Clara, how do you plan to integrate an object spirit such as Isknvald into a pantheon that is all one family? Will it need to assume a gender and marry in?"
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Secret Banquet

Clara replies to Isknvald first. "The trial would be one of courage and honor. It could even be waived for a significant act of heroism beforehand." She then turns to Yfga. "Marry, certainly not. The process is more like a bond of brother and sisterhood. As for the other part of your question, I do not know. I think it likely, but our legends are not clear on the subject."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #37

As Sigyn entered the room, Cattius peered over in her direction. Her offered a respectful nod, certainly not unused to his mother in law's unique style. He broke into an amused smile as she passed him and brushed his cheek - glad that someone who was more ambitious was here to represent Initia... The one faith he really wouldn't mind losing this deal to. While their talk of familiarity did intrigue him, she was one of few people that he had never pushed in any way except to hold his own in conversation. Her mysteries were indeed her own, and she had earned every one of them. When she proposed that he join her distinct path, she might get the feeling that he looked upon her with some admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolepgeek View Post
    Pious Petition - Clara, Cattius

Now the spirit turns their attention towards the seeress and the prince, and appears to be in deep consideration for a few moments before responding.
    "It is...a very pleasing question, idea, mindset to witness, yours. To stand above-alone-apart or stand together-as-kin-as-equals; both appeal but in very different ways. I bless you, Cattius-progeny-of-Khäsglis, for your recognition, validation, honoring of my desires, rather than seeking to impose your own over top of them as others appear to. And I ble you, Clara-progeny-of-Kari, for your welcome, your graciousness, your offer of kinship, to welcome me into new family from that near-family which I am leaving and yet take with me. Your offers I take to heart, to soul, to self and must consider carefully - I admit curiosity and confusion and desire as to where I would fit in both instances - for a spirit to become a god is surely as strange a thing to the followers of Dejan as to those here who see no gods but spirits greater and lesser and in-between? And I know not the trials I would face, nor those who I might displace in the old ways of the north, Clara-progeny-of-Kari. I would bid you speak of these things"
    Cattius brought a hand to his chin to consider... Glancing down to the table while he thought, and Clara answered their inquiry. His response, however, did not take long to form. "Each king, each ruler, and each God all face trials distinct and rigorous. The first trial is to take on the role and ascend to divinity, which is trial enough as I'm sure you're well familiar with. It is not the way of kings to prove himself to other lands or gods as much as it is to prove himself to his people, whoever they may be. And the first step in doing so is unfortunately to quell all major rivals, at least in your core territory."

He casts a glance at one of the Feast of Rieba guards and huffs. "...How big that core territory is may be up to you. But one thing is for sure, Dejan did not rest until all the world praised him as emperor. Showing some initiative would likely be an excellent first step in making an impression on the rest of the pantheon, as well as enhancing your own influence. I can promise you that should such a thing be attempted, that the Avakonian Empire would be happy to help reclaim our mutual faith's place in the north. No god has since risen to join the pantheon who was not their before Dejan's ascension, so even if you do not take up the Dejanist mantle, do not be surprised if your name is taken as sacred by some among our numbers. But by the virtue of actually ascending as you are, from spirit to deity, I do believe that would put you above most others of your kind should you join officially. Your story is nearest since the fall to that of Dejan's, and your goals will stand on their own long before the other gods demand you jump through hoops for them like some kind of dog."
    Last edited by Zayuz; 2019-03-31 at 12:37 PM.
    "What is to give light must endure burning."

8. - Top - End - #38

Slightly unnerved by Isknevald’s silence, Anhah nonetheless continues, It is true, O mighty Isknevald, that Frostbinderism is small. Our followers are few, but they are devoted. While joining Gamle Mater or Initia may gain you more worshippers than Frostbinderism can offer you, their attentions will be divided among many gods, or lesser spirits. Our devotees are strong, and will regard you as a god worthy of nothing short of complete trust and devotion. Join us, Isknevald. Join us, and reap the rewards that come from those who understand your wintry nature.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Well, Clara and Cassius, thank you for your answers. I must confess, when I walked in here I did not expect that the Frigid Digits would end up joining Initia. And as a matter of fact, I was correct. The Initiates and Rhunic Animist delegates have done little but offer various criticisms of a plan that we had already committed to, and have insulted our skills as shamans and ability to judge a spirit's worth and intentions.

Three delegates actually offered us and Isknvald a place within your church, and for this I would like to thank all of you. Cassius, Clara, and Anhah all explained what joining their religions would entail, and so we shall not send you away empty-handed. For each of you I have a small memento of this meeting.

Three servants came out and presented Cassius, Clara, and Anhah each with a fancy silver-gilted bottle. Set into the silver were a series of the small ice-blue gems known as frozen tears.

"I sincerely hope that you each have cause to use these cool your liquor soon, a service not in high demand in much of regner at present."

"Now, I'm afraid that I've drug out the cliche of announcing our choice long enough. I have decided that the most prudent course for a young god would be the support and teaching that can be provided by a family of fellows. While Cassius's arguments in favor of joining the Dejanic pantheon were impressive, and to be sure I am sure Isknvald would greatly appreciate any worship Dejanists would like to grant to the most recent ascended god, the shift to Dejanism would not only rob Isnvald of the support of fellows, it would cause too much of a destabilization within Whern to join a faith so foreign to dealings with spirits."

She turned towards the young posessed digit to deliver the next portion of her speech.

"Thus, I advise Isnvald to submit to the trials of the pantheon of Gamle Mater. In so doing, you will be able to learn much from them about godhood, but do not forget that they may be able to learn from you as well. After all, they are a group of gods from a foreign land, while you are a native of Emjata, and may be able to instruct them on some of the finer details of this continent that is new to them. Should you be required to choose a gender, I shall leave that decision up to you, though you may find that many mortals already mistakenly conceive of you as a woman."

"Thank you all for your attendance, delegates. Now, shall we go above for the wedding? I am sure there has never been a couple married with such an impressive assortment of religious elders to bless the couple. They may expect to have truly spectacular lives!"

As Yfga stood and headed towards the ladder for the surface, the elderly Shaman Agnar muttered to himself under his breath before following, "Oh, the boys of the digits are not going to like this, oh no."
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2019-03-31 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.