New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A utility spell you say

Our sorcerer (wild magic) forgot to level up before the last game so was doing so befog we began. As he was deciding on a spell he was going down his list:

"I've got flamebolt, magic missile, chromatic orb... what spell do I need?"

"You could always take a utility spell."

Nodding his head he looks up at the DM. "I've got scorching ray now."
    No fair! They're using brains against us.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: A utility spell you say

I mean, it's basically a leveled version of Create Bonfire, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by manyslayer View Post
    Our sorcerer (wild magic) forgot to level up before the last game so was doing so befog we began. As he was deciding on a spell he was going down his list:

"I've got flamebolt, magic missile, chromatic orb... what spell do I need?"

"You could always take a utility spell."

Nodding his head he looks up at the DM. "I've got scorching ray now."
    Baha ha ha ha ha! Oh my Moradin that's funny...

Never, ever suggest to a Sorcerer that they take utility spells. That's for the Wizard to worry about (with all her pages and pages of spellbook spells and her fancy pants ritual casting stuff...).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    Baha ha ha ha ha! Oh my Moradin that's funny...

Never, ever suggest to a Sorcerer that they take utility spells. That's for the Wizard to worry about (with all her pages and pages of spellbook spells and her fancy pants ritual casting stuff...).
    With how the Sorcerer can cast spells with Subtle or Twin, there's a lot of value that can come from some good planning, especially considering how many spell slots they get.

• Enlarge/Reduce come to mind as both tactical and utility.
    • Catapult does too, especially if you combine it with Enlarge/Reduce. Shrink something to 1/8 its weight (dropping a 40 pound object to 5lbs), then throw it via Catapult. Release Concentration on Enlarge/Reduce for shenanigans and confused DMs.
    • Suggestion and Levitate are also prime examples of having diverse uses.
    • Frame someone for mutiny by using Enemies Abound and Subtle Spell.
    • Gaseous Form and Fly are some honorable mentions.
    • And Twinning Greater Invisibility has some great value.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-25 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

To be fair, given that he is a wild mage, it might be a good idea for him not to cast unless it's an emergency. Utility spells would just give him more reason to cast.

After all, there is a chance he could blow himself (and the party) up with a point blank Fireball every time he cast Leomund's Tiny Hut.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    To be fair, given that he is a wild mage, it might be a good idea for him not to cast unless it's an emergency. Utility spells would just give him more reason to cast.

After all, there is a chance he could blow himself (and the party) up with a point blank Fireball every time he cast Leomund's Tiny Hut.
    There's a few things you need to keep in mind, though:

• The Wild Magic table is generally more beneficial than harmful, with about a 60/40 split between good and bad.
    • There's only a 5% chance to roll on the table per individual casting. Consider this with the fact that a Sorcerer can start to cast 20 spells (when he's likely to cause a single Wild Magic roll) at about level 10. This means that, before level 10, and assuming he's spending all of his spell slots at that level, he's rolling on the table less than 1 time per day.
    • Wild Magic can be forced if the Sorcerer improves a spell, which then allows the GM their own discretion on when to force a roll, which allows the Sorcerer to improve another spell.

Assuming you have a 10% chance to die from an effect from the Wild Magic table, and you're rolling to randomly decide if a spell triggers or not. that's still a 1/200 chance of casting a lethal effect (1/20 and 1/10).
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-25 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post

Maybe... if you read it as "At 1st level, immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher", you wouldn't roll on the table by only using wizard/druid/cleric/bard/warlock ritual spells.

IDK if the errata removed that distinction.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    There's a few things you need to keep in mind, though:

• The Wild Magic table is generally more beneficial than harmful, with about a 60/40 split between good and bad.
    • There's only a 5% chance to roll on the table per individual casting. Consider this with the fact that a Sorcerer can start to cast 20 spells (when he's likely to cause a single Wild Magic roll) at about level 10. This means that, before level 10, and assuming he's spending all of his spell slots at that level, he's rolling on the table less than 1 time per day.
    • Wild Magic can be forced if the Sorcerer improves a spell, which then allows the GM their own discretion on when to force a roll, which allows the Sorcerer to improve another spell.

Assuming you have a 10% chance to die from an effect from the Wild Magic table, and you're rolling to randomly decide if a spell triggers or not. that's still a 1/200 chance of casting a lethal effect (1/20 and 1/10).
    Frequent use of Tides of Chaos would increase the odds (and what wild mage wouldn't use that feature as often as possible ?).

And on the wild surge table, there is a 2% that the sorcerer has to keep rolling on the surge table each round for an entire minute.

I'm not sure what the odds are, but I've seen it happen. And it proved lethal for my friend. At the tail end of a lengthy battle (so already low on hit points), he gets the above mention result. Ends up having becoming invisible, playing disembodied music (which we all decided was "Ride of the Valkyries"), and casting two point blank fireballs. He literally went out in a blaze of glory!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That's a dreadful bad spell list. Probably the worst sorcerer spell selection I've seen yet. All those spells are basically rehashes of the exact same thing.

I mean....best of luck carrying them, and thanks for sharing
    Last edited by sophontteks; 2019-03-25 at 03:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, even granted that he really likes direct damage, there's nothing on there that offers a save. How about Burning Hands, or Thunderwave, or Shatter?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #11

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    Maybe... if you read it as "At 1st level, immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher", you wouldn't roll on the table by only using wizard/druid/cleric/bard/warlock ritual spells.

IDK if the errata removed that distinction.
    The distinction is still there, but unless you have ritual caster or another class, you aren't going to be casting many of those.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The fool. He could have taken the most powerful spell in the game: Illusory Script.

Given the spells mentioned, I'm assuming he's still fairly low level, so only 1st and 2nd level spells are on the table. There's a number of options for both levels that would make for great utility:

1st:
    Charm Person
    Disguise Self
    Feather Fall
    Fog Cloud
    Silent Image

2nd:
    Alter Self
    Darkness
    Detect Thoughts
    Enhance Ability
    Enlarge/Reduce
    Invisibility
    Levitate
    Spider Climb
    Suggestion

And that's just from the PHB.

Don't forget that sorcs are CHA casters, so social-oriented spells (Charm Person, Detect Thoughts, Disguise Self, Suggestion, etc.) can be good choices, and pair nicely with things like the Actor feat.

I know sorcs tend to be blasty, but really, how many different blasty spells do you really need? And Subtle Spell has a lot of potential for casting in social encounters without being detected. You can be Obi-Wan from A New Hope. "These aren't the droids you're looking for." As someone else pointed out, Twinning utility spells, especially concentration spells, can be amazing.

I'm generally much more of a wizard person, but in a way a sorcerer is just a wizard who knows what spells they want. The strength of a wizard is in being able to change their spells during a rest, but if you can settle on a set list (i.e. if you would never prepare different spells anyway), then a sorcerer becomes much stronger. Poor spell selection is probably what holds back the majority of sorcerers, and the analysis paralysis is probably one of the reasons people like me lean more toward wizard, where we can get all the spells.