New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Godzilla King of the Monsters

So I was somewhat interested in seeing that flick. And then Moviebob just released his review where he spends half of the movie jumping in glee and playing with toy action figures to represent the inner child's supreme joy at seeing it.

Yhea, I think I'll go see it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Godzilla King of the Monsters

I plan on seeing it in theaters.

Multiple times.

And buying it on blu-ray.

What I'm saying is this movie would have to screw up on a truly mythological scale for me not to enjoy this.

People talk about superheroes, LotR, and such being the centerpieces of their childhood well...giant monster movies were mine. Godzilla specifically simply IS my childhood.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

In case anyone didn't know, they got the rights to Blue Oyster Cult's song and there's a really good cover in the film's sound track.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2019-05-29 at 12:04 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Got my tickets for tomorrow night at 10:50p.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Got my tickets for tomorrow night at 10:50p.
    If you spoil anything more than what Bob Chipman has revealed, I swear I will..

... Probably be very sad but not let it ruin my enjoyment of the movie about giant monsters

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Godzilla.....

FIGHTS SOME OTHER MONSTERS!!!!!

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    If you spoil anything more than what Bob Chipman has revealed, I swear I will..

... Probably be very sad but not let it ruin my enjoyment of the movie about giant monsters
    Maybe alter the title? I mean...it is a giant monster movie, the plot and such usually isn't super important but just in case!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Maybe alter the title? I mean...it is a giant monster movie, the plot and such usually isn't super important but just in case!
    Well, in non spoilered-tagged threads, people can use the spoiler tags :-D

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So just seen it and i'd say it's better than 2014 but worse than kong. The main issue is the humans again except rather than boring they're just distractingly stupid.

Spoiler
    Show
    My main issue is with it's HtTYD2 alpha BS which just makes no sense from any point of view, they mention big G was the alpha predator in 2014 but then that apparently turns into he can control all the other monsters in this one, even the MUTOs who in the last lay their eggs in Godzillas. Which also has the issue of making fights in the next films in the series a series of people saying alpha over and over to justify why they are fighting. Nuclear bombs also go from attracting the monsters but being potentially dangerous to them to powering them up even when detonated in their faces.

The Humans are pretty awful as well their dialog is just random words said at each other when it comes to any scientific subject, which is to be somewhat expected in a Godzilla film but gets to the point of being distracting as I mentioned above

Monster fights are ok but again chopply shot and don't get enough screen time. I swear we get as much time on Ghidorah looking at people holding the ORCA as we do him fighting big G. Then the final confrontation between burning G and Ghidorah is pretty pathetic.

The Mothra shots are the main ones that I'd say are the most entertaining but then they clearly rip off fire rodan powering up big G from the Japanese series except with Mothra this time, which is kind of distracting again, but I'll come down on the side of nice shoutout.

At least it's not boring though and the oxygen destroyer gets used so we might get Destroya since apparently Big G isn't allowed to fight any natural monsters now he's the "Alpha". Ghidorah regenerating his head was also cool but matters bugger all at any other point.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok, I actually saw Godzilla: King Of The Monsters movie with a friend and this is my thoughts about the movie.

Spoiler: My Thoughts About Godzilla: King Of The Monsters Movie
    Show
    Ok this movie was good. I actually feel asleep only a little bit for the non-fighting part. Godzilla battle King Ghidorah in an epic battle. While Mothra and Rodan have their own battle. Compare to all other versions of Godzilla. Godzilla was pretty powerful but not as powerful as the Final Wars version. Here's a fun fact about this movie. This is the 30th Godzilla movie that Toho has made. So anyway I'll give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just saw it today. I'd say the main plot and human character behavior are about as dumb as most of the other classic Godzilla movies. For example, if you could stand the Hesei 1984 movie this one shouldn't bother you too much either.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, humans were the low part. The enemy humans being weird green peace analogs was weird.
    Spoiler
    Show

But the Asian chick related to old Mothra movies was awesome. The twins are shown in a picture.

Godzilla is mating with Mothra?
    Also, he is really is king and others bow to him is cool for story telling.

Ghidorah is an alien was weird.
    So, will EvilGreenPeace use the head to make Mecha Ghidorah or just regenerate it to make another?

13. - Top - End - #13

@Starbuck
    Spoiler
    Show
    King Ghidorah is almost always an alien. Every Showa appearance, the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy(Which showed another member of his species), Godzilla Final Wars(Technically a different member of his species) and all of the comic books and videogames.

Appearances where he's not an alien can be counted on one hand--in his sole Heisei era Godzilla film, he was the result of three genetically engineered pets from the future(Dorats) taking the original Godzilla's place when he was nuked due to time travel(and even then materials outside the film indicate that they were genetically engineered from an alien they found on Venus,) GMK where he was guardian entity summoned to protect Japan against the Vengeful Ghost possessed Zombie Godzilla, and Godzilla: Planet Eater where he's an Eldritch Abomination from outside our universe. (And even then, some hostile aliens worship him as a God)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    So just seen it and i'd say it's better than 2014 but worse than kong. The main issue is the humans again except rather than boring they're just distractingly stupid.

Spoiler
    Show
    My main issue is with it's HtTYD2 alpha BS which just makes no sense from any point of view, they mention big G was the alpha predator in 2014 but then that apparently turns into he can control all the other monsters in this one, even the MUTOs who in the last lay their eggs in Godzillas. Which also has the issue of making fights in the next films in the series a series of people saying alpha over and over to justify why they are fighting. Nuclear bombs also go from attracting the monsters but being potentially dangerous to them to powering them up even when detonated in their faces.

The Humans are pretty awful as well their dialog is just random words said at each other when it comes to any scientific subject, which is to be somewhat expected in a Godzilla film but gets to the point of being distracting as I mentioned above

Monster fights are ok but again chopply shot and don't get enough screen time. I swear we get as much time on Ghidorah looking at people holding the ORCA as we do him fighting big G. Then the final confrontation between burning G and Ghidorah is pretty pathetic.

The Mothra shots are the main ones that I'd say are the most entertaining but then they clearly rip off fire rodan powering up big G from the Japanese series except with Mothra this time, which is kind of distracting again, but I'll come down on the side of nice shoutout.

At least it's not boring though and the oxygen destroyer gets used so we might get Destroya since apparently Big G isn't allowed to fight any natural monsters now he's the "Alpha". Ghidorah regenerating his head was also cool but matters bugger all at any other point.
    See, I actually think it is worse than 2014, and for precisely the same reason, the humans. It was OK, but not great (which for me and Godzilla is a pretty damning indictment).

Spoiler
    Show
    They tried way too hard to make us care about the family, and I just don't. At no time do I care if they live or die, and since they spent so much time trying to get me to care it just took away from the rest of the movie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

See I think this movie was pretty good.

I think this did the opposite of the 2014 movie. That one was the one trying to make you care to much about the human element. It went so far that you never really saw Godzilla. I mean you saw so little of them, that I had a hard time recognizing Godzilla in this one, or even remembering who he fought.

This one did the Human thing JUST enough to make me go.. Oh yeah, Godzillia is on our side. GO GOJIRA GO! Without making me feel to bad so many people were losing there lives. Oh, I actually cared more for a couple of the soldiers then I did the main family. Maybe I am just misremembering, but I always thought that Godzilla movies were like this one. They gave the barest and simplest motivations to the humans, just so they can get to the monsters.

See, I don't get why people want just a two hour monster fighting another monster movie. That would get really boring after about 20 minutes. I, for one, don't want to see these monster movies turn into some anthropomorphic-fest Godzilla showing so much human emotion.

Also, when they got to a base, did anyone else notice that Godzilla looking Statue? I couldn't tell if they were building a robot or if it was just a statue.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    See I think this movie was pretty good.

I think this did the opposite of the 2014 movie. That one was the one trying to make you care to much about the human element. It went so far that you never really saw Godzilla. I mean you saw so little of them, that I had a hard time recognizing Godzilla in this one, or even remembering who he fought.

This one did the Human thing JUST enough to make me go.. Oh yeah, Godzillia is on our side. GO GOJIRA GO! Without making me feel to bad so many people were losing there lives. Oh, I actually cared more for a couple of the soldiers then I did the main family. Maybe I am just misremembering, but I always thought that Godzilla movies were like this one. They gave the barest and simplest motivations to the humans, just so they can get to the monsters.

See, I don't get why people want just a two hour monster fighting another monster movie. That would get really boring after about 20 minutes. I, for one, don't want to see these monster movies turn into some anthropomorphic-fest Godzilla showing so much human emotion.

Also, when they got to a base, did anyone else notice that Godzilla looking Statue? I couldn't tell if they were building a robot or if it was just a statue.
    The thing about Godzilla films is that they usually tail off the human story during the fights more in this I honestly think you would be hard pressed to find a 2 min scene that doesn't have a cut to random humans in it. I liked the film for the first 2 acts or so because it looked like they where setting everything up, giving you a good idea of the scale so they could just have a monster fight at the end maybe have the humans acting during one or two points but instead it was just constantly cutting away even in the final fight.

17. - Top - End - #17

My brother convinced me to go see it. Easily the worst movie I've seen in years. Every word of dialogue is painfully bad, both writing and delivery, the morals are confused and stupid, the plot makes no sense and they kerp cutting from the monster action to show humans star treking around in their vehicle seats.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #18

The SO&I had a lot of fun with this movie. It a brainless action fest with cool moments.

We were expecting just that, so mission accomplished.

The photography in this movie is absolutely great.

19. - Top - End - #19

I should also mention that when I went, there were under 10 people there and by the break, everyone was shouting comments at the screen when we weren't giggling at the dialogue. It was basically MST3K live.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I should also mention that when I went, there were under 10 people there and by the break, everyone was shouting comments at the screen when we weren't giggling at the dialogue. It was basically MST3K live.
    This can be genuinely cool if that's what you want.

We just breathed in the awesomeness when it happened.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    My brother convinced me to go see it. Easily the worst movie I've seen in years. Every word of dialogue is painfully bad, both writing and delivery, the morals are confused and stupid, the plot makes no sense and they kerp cutting from the monster action to show humans star treking around in their vehicle seats.
    Seen worse, but yeah it's pretty bad.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

22. - Top - End - #22

Oh man. The more you dig into Godzilla lore, the more you discover the extent of references to ancient lore.

For example, Mothra always traditionally had a pair of twin herald women named the Shobijin.

Well, Dr Chen had a twin sister. Her mother, who worked at Monarch, also had a twin sister. Their mother also had a twin sister.

That's the MCU method of making references to the lore without making it mandatory to understand what's happening.

The Oxygen Destroyer was the weapon used to kill Godzilla in the very, very original movie.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yea there are quite afew references although I wouldn't call them good. They're just very basic shout-outs without substance behind them, mostly from the Heisei godzilla.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Yea there are quite afew references although I wouldn't call them good. They're just very basic shout-outs without substance behind them, mostly from the Heisei godzilla.
    ...... What's the difference between a "good" and a "not-good" reference?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A good reference is more than just a nudge wink to the audience, generally I'd say that it has to use the reference to build something off as you mentioned the MCU is pretty good at this.

So lets divide up some of the references from the film.

Spoiler
    Show
    Goodish: Mothra giving her energy to godzilla to power him up, the shot is almost exactly based on Rodans sacrifice to power up godzilla in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla from the Heisei films. But the shot makes sense without the history (as much as anything else), is shot well and has a good punch. Hell you could even say it increases the emotional impact of the scene as it makes you feel abit for Rodan who is under the control of Ghidorah at the time
    I suppose you could include the information of Skull island being breached as it sets up the next film in this as well.

The Throwaway:The Twins photo, basically hey look these characters who havn't had any real interaction with Mothra a twins, and one of them is going to have a very short scene with her but there's nothing else to it and it also doesn't really make sense they'd be able to have Three generations already in Monarch considering Godzilla showed up in the 60s or so in this film.
    The Mention of Infant island and the names of all the monsters on the screen.

Te Bad: Hey remember the oxygen destroyer from the first film well here it is as a throwaway weapon that doesn't really act any different than if the military had tossed a nuke at the monsters. Pretty much stripping the significance it had in the first film where it was a weapon so dangerous that it's creator killed himself to detonate it to make sure that he could never be forced to make another one (Although it was pretty obviously a standin for a nuke which makes the way this film treats nukes to be even more insulting). As I mentioned in one of my above posts hopefully it leads to Destroya so it gets more than a few minutes on screen then never gets mentioned again.

Burning Godzilla: Hey remember this thing that an entire film was centred around which lead to one of the coolest and emotional moments in all the godzilla films well we're going to ram that in to the last 2 minutes of a fight scene without any of the emotional impact reducing it's impact whenever it's used going forward.

There's plenty of others but those illustrate the point I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #26

RogueGuy

MCU sucks if we use your reference to the Godzilla as the meter stick.

Nudge wink is basically the only thing MCU does. Lol

27. - Top - End - #27

MCU sucks if we use your reference to the Godzilla as the meter stick.

Nudge wink is basically the only thing MCU does. Lol
    You keep saying this in every thread possible and people just laugh and dismiss you every time.

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

I am okay with that. People laughing and dismissing other people is a reflection of them, not me.

I am merely commenting on the fact that there isn't really a difference in the "quality" of the references. It's just another way of someone being dismissive of a movie, just to rag on the movie. It's something an edgy angst-filled teen would do.

I mean, saying something like.. "That number on the locker briefly seen during that one flash of a moment.sooooo good, it was reference spider man comic #345. Soooooo good" But when you mention "a character is twins that was reminiscent of the Mothra scene. .. that was lame."

Which reminds me. During the waterfall scene. When the did the revel scene of that one girl. Who was she? I mean I get that she was the daughter of the twins. I just don't get the feeling of keeping her a mystery until her revel. When it showed her face.. I felt like Lex Luthor when he discovered The Flashs identity.

29. - Top - End - #29

I am okay with that. People laughing and dismissing other people is a reflection of them, not me.
    You will have to come to the realization one day that you just don't like the MCU .

You not liking the MCU is not an argument for it being ****. It's the most successful movie entertainment franchise in the history of mass entertainment. Just accept that saying "it's ****" does nothing to convince anyone.

30. - Top - End - #30

RogueGuy

Dude what's with the hostility?

I like the MCU. I just don't put it up on a pedestal. I can see the flaws in it. Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it is flawless.

I mean.. look at a lot of modern entertainment. By your standards, Fifty shades of grey is high art. Justin bieber is up there with Mozart or Wagner.