New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Your Bhaalspawn as Lord of Murder

So, you've done it. From the kid who pestered everyone in Candlekeep and saved Baldur's Gate, through the Siege on Dragonspear and the Shadows of Amn, you have climbed the Throne of Bhaal and declared yourself the new Lord of Murder.

How does your Lord of Murder rule over their portfolio and domains? How does who they were before inform who they are now?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Your Bhaalspawn as Lord of Murder

Beatrice, who used a custom portrait of Queen Bavmorda from the movie, Willow, was a powerful Mage when she became Lord of Murder.
    She most likely becomes the most disturbing Lord of Murder between Bhaal and herself, since she's a mage murderer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ancalagon, a benevolent Kensage turned Lord if Murder, uses his newfound godhood for good. Murdering bad guys of course.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Few of my characters have ever actually taken that choice.

The only one I can think of is Charname (Shar nah meh), my LN Dragon Disciple Sorcerer in EE. Well, I used the Dragon Disciple kit, but envisioned him as less part dragon and more part Slayer, being much more closely bound to his heritage than most. Romanced Viconia, who redeemed herself. Rest of the final party was Sarevok, Minsc, Jaheira, and (of course) Imoen.

One of the mods that I used in his run that had the biggest effect was Turnabout: during the final battle, Charname was able to use the pools of blood in the battlefield to summon the souls of murdered friends - notably Gorion, Dynaheir, and Khalid - to assist in the ever escalating boss rush as Amelysan summons the Bhaalspawn Char had previously killed.

Unlike most of my characters, who wanted to continue life as a mortal, Char noted that the souls of the murdered were being held, and that the ones he cared about were likely not the only ones, not by a long shot, and that there was little he could do for any of them as a mortal. It was a responsibility he could not shirk from. So he became not the Lord of Murder, but the Lord of the Murdered, the patron of those whose life had been stolen from them, remolding his domain from a hell celebrating the bloodthirsty to a home for the fallen, a place to heal before reincarnating, with Viconia serving as his high priestess and champion. While he was surprisingly benevolent for a death god, granting the souls in his care a better class of afterlife, he did not permit the souls of the Murdered to be resurrected lightly - he knew better than most how critical loss was to life.

Charname would go on to cooperate with other gods of death as they cropped up. He got along famously with Kelemvor in particular as they shared a neutral professionalism in their duties. Since he had little interest in the act of murder itself, he ultimately would lose a good chunk of his portfolio to a parade of would-be dark gods, but he didn't care. As long as the souls of the victims remained his, the survivors of the murdered could know at least some small solace and that was enough.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2019-04-16 at 01:49 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't had a character take that choice yet. But let's say he would've instead.

He would of been the God of Righteous Violence. There are those who abuse their power, using society and laws to protect themselves from retribution. Others are monsters, both figurative and literal. And finally there are those who ravage the countryside for their own personal gain, via armies or brute strength.

And the answer to these people? Is a sword to the face. You kill them not out of an ideal of justice, or because they are evil. But to solve a problem that can't be solved otherwise. Societies laws have either failed to control them, or never applied to them in the first place.

Because that is basically what he did from start to finish. Evil vampires? Murder them. Evil wizard? Stabbed. Beholder cult? Exterminated. Dragon being a jerk? Destroyed. Slavers? Wiped out.

So basically he'd become the god of Adventurers/Vigilantes.

EDIT: He ended up with Ariel, so his child would likely end up as his Chosen, an ageless adventurer who actively forms bands of adventurers to take down monsters and other threats. Who wields the many artifacts the party had collected through their journey.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2019-04-16 at 03:41 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The character I consider *my* Bhaalspawn was a Lawful Neutral mage who refused to ascend to godhood in order to stay with a neutral Viconia. Assuming he chose to become the Lord of Murder instead, I imagine he would initially struggle with the duties of his position and try to expand his portfolio to encompass all unnatural death. Bhaal, after all, had initially chosen the power to decide the passage of mortals from Bane's domain to Myrkul's. This would certainly bring him into conflict with Talona, unless she could be convinced to serve him like she served his father. Cyric would not appreciate having part of his portfolio usurped but there is no changing that. Kelemvor would hopefully be more amenable. He would also try to foster working relationships with Tempus (death as a result of glorious combat), Mystra (death from magic), Talos (death from mass destruction), Tyr (lawful execution), Ilmater (merciful death as an end to suffering), Umberlee (drowning) and Beshaba (random, unlucky death). I don't imagine all those attempts would work, but ideally the long term goal would be for everyone in Faerun who was about to engage in something dangerous, kill or be killed and didn't want to die before his time to spare a prayer to the Bhaalspawn.

Of course, this would all go out the window at the moment of Viconia's murder at the hands of Lolth's followers. This would earn Lolth and the drow the unending wrath of the new Lord of Murder. And since I'm pretty sure Viconia would not abandon her faith to Shar, Shar would end up in possession of her soul and a very powerful bargaining chip. I imagine this would end up with another trial for dereliction of duty by cause of humanity, probably at the same time as similar charges against Kelemvor and Mystra. I honestly can't tell if the result of the trial would be for him to sanction of Viconia's murder as part of his portfolio and his godly duties, and thus relinquish all ties to the man he was, or to abandon the duties of his newfound godhood to pursue the crusade against Lolth and her worshipers until he or they were dead.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

My character would begin his ascension to godhood with a new determination to quell the ceaseless slaughter he's seen far too much of with his own eyes (and caused much of with his own hands). Since he's both adept at murder and sick of it, he rules his domain by judging and policing the murderers. If anyone wants to commit the act of murder, a plea must be submitted to his lordship in the form of a prayer. If his lordship grants the permission, the murder may proceed. If he does not, the murder must be abstained or consequences will follow.

Sort of like the Night Mother from Elder Scrolls, he will also pass on the contract to his followers if people pray for a murder without being able to act upon it themselves. His followers will gain favor with him by completing missions and assassinating the targets he sends them. He will punish those who commit murder without first paying homage and requesting his blessing. But like many mortals, these ideals are corruptible and based on faulty, flimsy, emotionally-charged mortal logic.

After a few decades or centuries, and I'm being generous given how many house calls a god receives, my lord will grow weary of the plights and dooms of men and the pettiness of their actions. Being subjected to every violent crime ever committed will eventually take its toll and deteriorate his view of mankind. Soon he will see them as refuse, animals with a bestial nature, selfish and arrogant and full of lust and greed. It is then that he will fall and change his position on them, promoting less protection and more twisted justice. He will continue to fall until one day he is no better than Bhaal or Bane ever were.

In that time, he will shift alignment from his present Chaotic Good and protector of the murdered to full on Lawful Evil and the lord of murder management. Death will no longer mean anything to his divine self and all that matters will be the rules and the rituals and the asking and the web of political strands he's bound to. He will in effect become exactly like Bhaal was, not due to any lasting influence his father may have had (or is it?) but due to the weight of the position and the natural gravitation it employs in shaping its holder. Blind to mercy, deaf to screams, mute to answers, the Lord Kyutaru would become the very villain he originally set out to defeat.

And that is the perfect blend of truth and irony in storytelling. The reality that absolute power corrupts absolutely and even a god cannot stay true to his ideals when his senses are heightened, his knowledge vast, and all the world's plights are known to him. Too much negativity can make anyone think it's pointless to even try. Too much murder can make even a benevolent god take a step back and see what a joke mortals truly are.

8. - Top - End - #8

Dang. CG to LE is quite a shift.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

My "bro" Cavalier would probably not despoil the memories of his time with his band of brothers (namely Anomen and Keldorn), and try to be more of a Lord of Rightful Executions instead.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

My PC was a Priestess of Lathander, so... how would that even work? A goddess worshipping another god?

She was always "Lathander knows best" and "What would Lathander do?". Not passively, like Durkon, but forcefully, sometimes verging into zeoletry. I think she would become a lesser god under Lathander, letting him guide her in the assumption of her new duties, even giving some of her power directly to Lathander. I think she could have a falling out at some point, deciding she knew what Lathander thought better than Lathander did. (#clericspalaining) But she would definitely be molded by Lathander, especially at first, and how he saw best to use the Goddess of Murder's powers.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I imagine there would be some form or murdering involved, at some point...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-28 at 06:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Dang. CG to LE is quite a shift.
    One centuries in the making though. The gods may be timeless but blind they are not and he surely saw too much to bear.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    My PC was a Priestess of Lathander, so... how would that even work? A goddess worshipping another god?

She was always "Lathander knows best" and "What would Lathander do?". Not passively, like Durkon, but forcefully, sometimes verging into zeoletry. I think she would become a lesser god under Lathander, letting him guide her in the assumption of her new duties, even giving some of her power directly to Lathander. I think she could have a falling out at some point, deciding she knew what Lathander thought better than Lathander did. (#clericspalaining) But she would definitely be molded by Lathander, especially at first, and how he saw best to use the Goddess of Murder's powers.
    Consider Torm and Tyr... Torm is a subordinate deity to Tyr.

As the Goddess of Murder, she might offer comfort to those who survive after a murder.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

I love the idea of Clericsplaing hahaha. You could be like Lathanders Angel of Death maybe? Targeting undead especially.

I just realized that out of the dozens of playthroughs I only said 'yes' to becoming a god once.

Silas, The White Shadow my albino elven assassin with a pitiful constitution of 6 who was Chaotic Evil all the way through, and didn't have any friends. I put very few ranks in pickpocket until literally every other skill was maxxed, and I ended up murdering a lot of potential allies when I failed to pickpocket their gear. He loved him his daggers, poison especially. Set Traps was my biggest priority, since there were so many ways to boost Stealth, and I killed alot of my enemies with a barrage of auto-firing poisoned arrows. I did hang out with Imoen in Irenicus' dungeon and until I got out of the Underdark. Even Silas' ruthless cold heart felt a flutter of warmth at Imoens plight. He passed the test of Pride and Wrath, but failed Fear (though mostly out of greed) Greed and Selfishness. Since he killed so many slavers, I decided the Chaotic part of Chaotic evil means he loathes slavery. He defeated Melissan with a combo of Wish-resting, traps, the Firetooth with assassin poison and Assassination for when her minions got annoying. Blackrazor was my constant companion in ToB.

Silas, the White Shadow, God of Assassination.

His first move is to make allies with both Mask and Talona, and if she's interested, strikes up a relationship with Beshaba, goddess of bad luck. She can't hurt Silas, his coin is on its edge. These relationships will help protect him against his enemies. The Shadow Thieves will never worship him, not since he decimated their ranks, but the Night Masks likely will. Rather than anger Mask, he will share the worship, being sort of a saint. A thief will worship Mask most days, but pray to Silas before a hit goes down. Likewise with Talona, if you're pulling off a poisoning kill, then you want his blessing in addition to hers. Silas would exploit his legend of being a 'hero', of the Sword Coast, of Amn and of the Bhaalspawn Wars as well. He wards you from assassination as well as causing it. Get em coming and going.
    He lays low for a long time, not making big moves or plans, even offering his services to the dodgier Good and Neutral gods. Hoar would be a wary ally, if never a friend. Tempus would hate him and the Knightly Triad of Helm, Torm and Tyr would likely seek his annihilation. But Silas isn't worried about them. Not at all. If the good gods come for him, they will do it in a clash of metal with the sound of trumpets giving him time to run. If they give chase they will find nothing but trap after trap, poisoning them, killing their minions. The toll to kill him will be too damn high.
    Perhaps his, if not victory, then stalemate with the Triad will boost his stature further.

Velsharoon, the demigod of Necromancy will be the first god to die by Silas' hand. And nobody will mourn or care, especially since its just a demigod. But Silas spent long enough studying the basics of magic to use his tomes as scrolls and mixing divine necromancy with his own masterful assassination skills, he will try to kill Talona and take her portfolio of poison for himself. By this time Mask will have divided his power amongst Drasek Riven, Rivalen, and Mephistopheles. With the assisstance of Drasek Riven I will steal the essence of Mask from Mephistopheles, but leave him as the 8th lord of Hell. Then I betray Riven, using his dogs as leverage. With 2/3 of Masks power and Talonas and Velsharoons and my own, I should be able to take Rivalen down without a sweat.

With the power to mix up the deadliest poisons in existence, the necromancy, perhaps, to keep even gods dead, mastery of shadows, and his own skills, it is time to reveal his plan.

Bane is the last member of the Dead Three to live. Jergal is the god they took that power from. And Cyric.

****ing Cyric.

Took my power for himself.

I'm going to kill them all. Two greater deities. Bane is weakened by Torm and I will use that to my advantage, perhaps even pissing Torm off and leading him to Bane's residence. Bane will die easily.

Cyric is tougher but Cyric is insane. He thinks this is his strength but it is his weakness. Chaos is freedom, not randomness. I will reveal my great weapon in the final battle in Pandemonium. A resurrected Tiax, on my side, leeching Cyrics divine power with his spells and giving it to me. Tiax is a wildcard and I will risk everything on his allegience.

Will my arrogance be my downfall? Is hubris not another kind of insanity?

Let's find out.

If I survive I will approach Jergal. Demigod of Fatalism. I am more powerful than him by far. He bows to the inevitable. I will offer him Blackrazor, and let him choose to die by his own hand, or mine.

If all goes well I will become more than the mere Lord of Murder. I will be tyranny and fear, shadow and illusion, poison and necromancy, assassination and murder.

Call me Silas, The God of Killing.
    Chaotic Evil
    Symbol, A white dagger surrounded by droplets
    Domains are Trickery, Death, Darkness at first, gaining more as he kills others
    Favoured weapon: Dagger.
    All his clerics gain poison weapon as an ability at 9th level
    Last edited by Lvl45DM!; 2019-05-02 at 09:18 PM.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've done it twice, once with a Paladin whos intention was to reform the position of god of murder into something better and more righteous. Considering what happened to Kelemvor I really doubt that it would go well for my Paladin in the long run.

The other character I ascended was a Lawful Neutral Sorceror. Their goal wasn't something noble, they wanted power though they did figure that they could make things perhaps less chaotic where murder is concerned. Make the Clergy something less erratkc and more organized sort of like an order of assassins that could be hired out.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, you've done it. From the kid who pestered everyone in Candlekeep and saved Baldur's Gate, through the Siege on Dragonspear and the Shadows of Amn, you have climbed the Throne of Bhaal and declared yourself the new Lord of Murder.

How does your Lord of Murder rule over their portfolio and domains? How does who they were before inform who they are now?
    I'd love to know if anyone is planning on taking any of the companions throughout the series as part of their clergy, worshippers, divine agents/heralds or even Chosen
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

17. - Top - End - #17

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    I'd love to know if anyone is planning on taking any of the companions throughout the series as part of their clergy, worshippers, divine agents/heralds or even Chosen
    Only those truly devoted to the god. Only Sarevok.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyutaru View Post
    Only those truly devoted to the god. Only Sarevok.
    Badass. Would Sarevok follow your initially good god though?
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

19. - Top - End - #19

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Badass. Would Sarevok follow your initially good god though?
    I mean he did to the final battle of the game. I forget the dialogue reasons why that was. Probably impressed him by murdering him in the 1st game.

20. - Top - End - #20

Griffon

Caladan the Fighter/Druid never even considered it. Things die - even Gods - and they should stay dead; he had no interest in the Throne even before he and Viconia had committed themselves so deeply together.

Kaien Tsu, Human Sorcerer, was motivated initially by revenge for the murder of his father Gorion, which over time slowly became a bloody but usually justifiable need to see justice done on a greater scale.

Not Justice-With-A-Capital-J - the righteous application of judgement and punishment under codified laws as overseen by Gods like Tyr - but rather the unspoken instinct of doing what had to be done, of knowing that something was wrong and that it had to be put right by someone with the power to do so, but the humility and self-awareness to know when to stop. Kaien often wobbled across that line, but always managed to find his way back.

Killing Sarevok was a pleasure - bringing to an end his reign of corruption and organised manipulation was a helpful by-product of simply being able to see the blood of a monster run across the flagstones. Chasing Amelyssan into the Abyss was a duty - no one else could have done it, and the suffering that she had inflicted could never be truly valued by mortals alone.

Standing before the Altar and listening to the Solar's explanation of what was to come, Kaien was reluctant to leave behind his companions but ultimately realised that too many of the gods were petty and cruel, and that the pantheon needed someone with the experience of mortality to help right the wrongs that could not be directly addressed through law, prayer or biased intervention. He accepted the Throne of Bhaal, and stepped into the light....

Kaien's methods could never be called 'Good'. Good people do not pray for violence and death to befall those who have wronged them, but neither was he Evil for his eye never turned upon a soul who didn't truly deserve it. Nor was he Lawful as those who felt his wrath had never been convicted by a court or divine proclamation, but Chaos found no hold as collateral damage was unacceptable and proportionate punishment never came without cause. Unworthy petitioners were plentiful, but usually ignored outright - only the purveyors of genuine acts of malicious and unrepentant trespass would fear him, but they have much to fear indeed....

Kaien Tsu - True Neutral God of Vengeance (Which is not the same as Revenge) and Retribution.
    His portfolio includes Vigilantes, Justice (minor), Executions and Murder (albeit as a tool, rather than the act in and of itself like his father).
    His symbol is a bloodied hand holding a tipped scale.
    His Domains are Retribution and Wrath.
    His Favoured Weapon (as it was when he was mortal) is the Energy Blade, which is granted as a bonus spell to his Clerics when they reach their 7th spell level slots.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2019-05-01 at 04:41 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Kaien Tsu - True Neutral God of Vengeance (Which is not the same as Revenge) and Retribution.
    His portfolio includes Vigilantes, Justice (minor), Executions and Murder (albeit as a tool, rather than the act in and of itself like his father).
    His symbol is a bloodied hand holding a tipped scale.
    His Domains are Retribution and Wrath.
    His Favoured Weapon (as it was when he was mortal) is the Energy Blade, which is granted as a bonus spell to his Clerics when they reach their 7th spell level slots.
    Love it, im going back and adding the portfolio stuff to Silas.
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16