New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: looking for PrC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default looking for PrC

I am looking for a PrC that will grant a level of arcane and divine spell levels. I have found Mystic Theurge in the DMG and the 2 in Complete Arcane that adds warlock and arcane or divine. Is there any others?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: looking for PrC

True necromancer kind of does. Libris mortis
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...s-spellcasting

Fochlucan Lyrist
    Eldritch Disciple
    Green Whisperer*
    Mystic Theurge
    True Necromancer
    Yathrinshee
    Arcane Hierophant

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Handbook-WIP

Mystic Theurge(DMG): Arcane/Divine
    Arcane Hierophant(RoW): Arcane/Divine,Wildshape tastiness
    Folchuran Lyricist: Arcane/Divine

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am going to warn you that without very specific tricks, Theurging is a BAD IDEA.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by StevenC21 View Post
    I am going to warn you that without very specific tricks, Theurging is a BAD IDEA.
    To be fair one of my parties antagonists is a theurge and it’s pretty ok. They have high HP without having crazy high spells. The ability to use divine and arcane magic helped them supply their small cult with a lot of goodies.

It’s definitely underpowered for most PCs but as an NPC it can be fun to fight.
    Last edited by NecroDancer; 2019-04-23 at 02:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Theurging is good if you can get into the Theurge PrC with only one level of primary casting lost, particularly if the PrC has good class features (e.g. Anima Mage). Theurging has the inherent problem that for all but the best-supported combinations, you eventually run out of Theurge levels and stop getting to progress your concept, which is dumb.

Do not take True Necromancer, it is terrible, and you get more arcane and divine casting by being a Fighter with a Wizard cohort who has a Cleric cohort.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you're looking to optimise, Theurges are fairly poor except in very specific circumstances (generally involving tricks to get 2nd-level spells of a particular type without taking the usual number of class levels required).

However, as full casters are so much stronger than other classes, they're still not exactly weak, and certain specific combos can be decent even without the early-entry tricks.

Arcane Hierophant is one of the best, combined with Mystic Theurge it can give you 9th-level Druid and Wizard spells, plus Wild shape as a 13th-level Druid.

Fochlucan Lyrist is only any good if you can find a way to get Evasion without losing caster levels. If so, combined with Arcane Hierophant and a level of Sublime Chord you get 8th-level Druid spells and 9th-level SC spells.

True Necromancer loses too many caster levels, and Yathrinshee is even worse.

At particular epic levels some combos work well as you can get two full sets of spells without losing caster levels if you take the Practised Spellcaster feat twice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, cleric
    Spontaneous Casting: A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with “cure” in its name). For example, a good cleric who has prepared command (a 1st-level spell) may lose command in order to cast cure light wounds (also a 1st-level spell). Clerics of good deities can cast cure spells in this way because they are especially proficient at wielding positive energy.
    An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric of an evil deity), on the other hand, can’t convert prepared spells to cure spells but can convert them to inflict spells (an inflict spell is one with “inflict” in its name).
    A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil can convert spells to either cure spells or inflict spells (player’s choice), depending on whether the cleric is more proficient at wielding positive or negative energy. Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed. This choice also determines whether the cleric turns or commands undead (see below). Exceptions: All lawful neutral clerics of Wee Jas (goddess of death and magic) convert prepared spells to inflict spells, not cure spells. All clerics of St. Cuthbert (god of retribution) and all nonevil clerics of Obad-Hai (god of nature) convert prepared spells to cure spells, not inflict spells.
    Wizard 3/Cleric 1 may cast second level divine spells spontaneously. Wizard 5/Cleric 1 may cast 3rd level divine spells spontaneously.
    Druids are the same way with their SNA.
    I'm sure somewhere down the line an errata or rules compendium or something fixes this. But... By RAW...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Wizard 3/Cleric 1 may cast second level divine spells spontaneously. Wizard 5/Cleric 1 may cast 3rd level divine spells spontaneously.
    I'm sure somewhere down the line an errata or rules compendium or something fixes this. But... By RAW...
    Huh, I like it!

On the subject of continuing a Theurge class past 10 levels, Legacy Champion (and to a lesser extent Uncanny Trickster) can pull it off with one more lost level. Legacy items have some serious drawbacks, but I doubt there are any as bad as losing 4 levels of casting from one of your classes. Plus you get actual class features thrown in for free!
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-04-24 at 04:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

I have literally never heard this trick suggested before. Between this and Precocious Apprentice, the only thing holding you back from entering Mystic Theurge at level 3 is the requirement of rank six in skills. (You need to be level 3 to get that, so you can't enter until level 4.)

This puts you 2 levels behind in one of the classes, anyway, but only 1 in whichever you take at level 3. You could manage with 2 levels behind in both (but keept the CL up to date) with a bloodline level taken at level 3. But I am not sure there are any bloodlines quite worth it, and you're not at the stage where the +1 to every level-dependent thing is going to really be cheese-worthy, so it probably isn't as good as just taking a second level of either cleric or wizard.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The rules specifically prohibit this.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    The rules specifically prohibit this.
    Could you provide a citation, please? Not that I doubt you or even want you to be wrong all that badly (since I imagine few DMs would permit this cheesy reading anyway), but simply saying "nope" (which is what "The rules prohibit this" without any backing amounts to) isn't very convincing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Could you provide a citation, please? Not that I doubt you or even want you to be wrong all that badly (since I imagine few DMs would permit this cheesy reading anyway), but simply saying "nope" (which is what "The rules prohibit this" without any backing amounts to) isn't very convincing.
    Rules Compendium p139:
    OTHER SPONTANEOUS CASTING
    Some spellcasters prepare spells, but they can cast certain
    spells spontaneously as detailed in their class description.
    A good-aligned cleric or a cleric of a good-aligned deity can
    spontaneously cast a cure spell in place of a prepared spell of
    the same level or higher, but not in place of a domain spell.
    A druid can spontaneously cast a summon nature’s ally spell
    in place of a prepared spell of the same level or higher. Such
    spontaneous casting follows special rules for spontaneous
    spellcasting, such as how metamagic feats interact with
    casting time, but otherwise functions as normal spellcasting.
    A multiclass spellcaster can’t cast a spontaneous spell
    from one class in place of one from
    another class.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Rules Compendium p139:
    Ah, thanks. Okay, so back to needing Cleric 3/Wizard 1 (w/ Precocious Apprentice) to get into Mystic Theurge at level 5.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I would recommend Improved Sigil (Krau) to do it a level earlier with no rules problems.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I would recommend Improved Sigil (Krau) to do it a level earlier with no rules problems.
    Is that the one that'll let you take Heighten Spell and apply it with a Divine Metamagic-like effect to transform 1st level spells into 2nd level spells?

That'd also work for any class that gave you 1st level spells, wouldn't it? No need for Precocious Apprentice anymore?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Is that the one that'll let you take Heighten Spell and apply it with a Divine Metamagic-like effect to transform 1st level spells into 2nd level spells?

That'd also work for any class that gave you 1st level spells, wouldn't it? No need for Precocious Apprentice anymore?
    It's the one that lets you choose any two spells with verbal components and automatically heighten them one level for free. Works for any spellcasting class, requires no additional feats, also comes with Practiced Spellcaster as a racial ability.