New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me and level 20

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Me and level 20

I've been playing for quite some time now, playing in many campaigns and having many characters. But the things that has always eluded me is getting a character to level 20. I've never once gotten any character higher that 15 and thats it. Whats your experiences of level 20 CHaracters or the elusive level 20.

Keep in mind I've started from level 3 to 5
    Last edited by Marywn; 2019-04-18 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marywn View Post
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate
    For a sufficiently sexy Fey patron, that might be the best word yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Have Barbarian Bear Totem Centaur, who's being ridden by a Cavalier Centaur, who's being ridden by a Life Cleric Centaur, who's being ridden by a Goliath Monk, who's being ridden by a Gnomish Warlock.

HI-HO SILVER, AWAYYYYYYY~!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Me and level 20

The whatnow?
    Levels cap at 11, didn't you know?
    If you're lucky you're DM might let you go to level 20, but it's still only 11 in a class.

Or I might be confusing house-rule and reality :P

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

THats what it feels like all the time man. I hope that I can actually play late game 5e, though then I would have to worry about PWK and have to get Deathward on a item
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marywn View Post
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate
    For a sufficiently sexy Fey patron, that might be the best word yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Have Barbarian Bear Totem Centaur, who's being ridden by a Cavalier Centaur, who's being ridden by a Life Cleric Centaur, who's being ridden by a Goliath Monk, who's being ridden by a Gnomish Warlock.

HI-HO SILVER, AWAYYYYYYY~!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

campaigns i have played peeter out around level 11...

For my AL PCs, i have taken the PCs to different tables and run one-offs to level 14, but without an ongoing campaign his party, it feels lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Best solution I have found is Adventurer's League in an area with a good population of players. The local game store I play at has a lot of folks with more than one level 20 character.

Adventurer's League tier 4 modules are also probably a decent source for inspiration for DMs looking for ideas and appropriate challenges for putting together their own tier4 material. I think one reason play tends to fizzle a bit is because the characters become quite a bit more powerful and move out of the comfort zone for a lot of DMs. On the other hand, from what I have seen, 5e is still very playable and all the way to 20.

P.S. One way to get a campaign feel in AL is to play through hardcovers. Depending on the specific hardcover this should take you to level 11-15. You could then finish this off with content from Dungeon of the Mad Mage or just transition to Dungeon of the Mad Mage from Waterdeep Dragon Heist at level 5.
    Last edited by Keravath; 2019-04-18 at 02:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Soon I shall be level 6 the highest level I will have achieved in 5 years of 5e.

7. - Top - End - #7

I have run a campaign to level 20, we still have the characters and plan on revisiting...sometime. But I dmed for a bit over a year and a half. I ran another game to 15 but it kind of died out. Both starting at lower levels, the level 20 group started with Out of the Abyss then into homebrew and converted AD&D modules. But personally my highest level character was ran in a solo campaign to 14.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

I have played up to level 18 and have played a few level 20 one shots. Honestly i think the further you go past 15, the harder it is for your DM to deal with the fact you have too many options. It can be done, but there need to be so many contingencies to make sure the wizard doesn't trivialize every challenge with all their crazy magic. Level 20 is (at least for me) a goal more than it is a level of play. The other issue is that at level 20, every threat needs to be one of world ending proportions. There's nothing like the feeling of being 20th level though and a commoner in a bar gets angry and hits you with a chair or something.. good times.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The highest level I've played at was 15, but the campaign started at a high (I think 9?), the highest I've reached from 1st level was 6th (both and other of my PC's were Champion/Swashbucklers).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #10

The highest character I played reached lvl 12 and the highest level I dm'ed for was level 12. I've ran 3.5 a whole lot longer than I did 5e and the highest character level I dm'ed for in that system reached 12 as well.
    That's the highest, though. Most of the characters I dm for reach around lvl 5-7.
    Demiliches. Why'd it have to be demiliches?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I've played a whole 1 character to level 20, and since we started at level 1 and played 2 to 3 sessions at every level, it took a very, very long time to get to 20. the DM was being very generous with level advancement too. My advice is that if you want to experience that top end of play in a home game, your best bet is to express interest in a campaign that would start at a high level in the first place and take you to 20 for a very high stakes story. Maybe someone will write up an adventure for you to play in eventually, but that's really the best way of getting to play at high levels. Also, note that your experience can vary, since it's really hard to eye out encounter difficulty for the DM. You might be crushing dragons and armies the whole time with no sense of challange or you could get split and cornered by a generic mage and eaten by a boring old terasqe with no sense of agency at all.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GlenSmash! View Post
    Soon I shall be level 6 the highest level I will have achieved in 5 years of 5e.
    God that’s horrible. That’d be so boring.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2019-04-18 at 07:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    I think it is only boring playing at that tier if your DM lacks imagination. Level 5 and 6 have a nice sweet spot where PC's can feel powerful at times yet still be easily challenged.

Just my 2 copper pieces.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spo View Post
    I think it is only boring playing at that tier if your DM lacks imagination. Level 5 and 6 have a nice sweet spot where PC's can feel powerful at times yet still be easily challenged.

Just my 2 copper pieces.
    Meh. There’s just so much fun at higher tiers as well. The scope of everything expands and if you play a caster things truly open up. Level 6 is the start of the journey for me, not the end (with 1-5 acting as the prelude)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

wink Re: Me and level 20

I always wonder why they even bother creating levels 11 to 20 for all classes. Would be a lot easier to simply stop at 10. Would safe a lot of time and money, and make the PHB considerably smaller.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

As a player, I have played an occasional one-shot at low-medium double digits, but that was back in 2e.

As a DM, the highest I've dealth with was a West Marches campaign that went from 1st to 17th level. That was 3.5 (and I think we should have stopped earlier, but everyone was so eager to play).

I have never actually played or DM'ed for a legitimately level 20 character.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

My 5e group got up to 14th level (starting from 1) with our first characters. But when we wrapped up that adventure, we all decided that our characters were in a pretty good place, with most of them having non-adventuring things to be doing, and decided to retire them and start over.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

In 5e I have yet to break through level 5. In 3.5 we made it into the teens a few times. In 2e I DM'd a campaign that went from level 1 to godhood. That was truly epic.

Notice that the amount of time I have to play has dropped, and so has progression. Adulting is hard.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    It wasn't one campaign.

Mostly a lot of starting and stopping and a couple of years where I was exclusively DMing.

Frustrating as a player, but not boring.

20. - Top - End - #20

DwarfFighterGuy

I had a group get to like 13-15 (some joined later) all from level one. It took a good year and a half and since we are all good friends they ended up killing each other because of alignment issues...good times. One guy survived and did a few solo quests and got to like 17. That’s the highest I have ever seen.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

My top tier AL PCs are 11th level Earth Genasi Battle Master, 7th level MD War Wizard, Forest Gnome Wizard 3/Cleric 2, and MD OH Monk 5. A few IP Tier 1 MC characters also...

I do not actually plan on getting past Tier 3 myself.

I play or DM about 3 times a month, up recently to 4 this Month. Pretty much been a month or two longer than I have been in this forum.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by redwizard007 View Post
    In 5e I have yet to break through level 5. In 3.5 we made it into the teens a few times. In 2e I DM'd a campaign that went from level 1 to godhood. That was truly epic.

Notice that the amount of time I have to play has dropped, and so has progression. Adulting is hard.
    Retiring frees up one’s time though income drops...
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Level 4 is the best level anyway, so I wouldn't be too upset.

*Note that by saying that level 4 is the best level I do not mean to imply that level 4 characters are more mechanically powerful, but that I personally really enjoy the breadth of challenges and party abilities at level 4. It's just before the big level 5 power boost, but people have a good amount of HP and all of their essential abilities already, including a feat or an ASI.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

3.5 most campaigns went to around level 12, the same is Semi True with 5e. The reason for this, is because around that level, short of the gates of hell themselves opening, theres not much for your characters to do. Bandits are attacking a village? You can literally cast a single spell, but should a 12th level character really be doing that with their power? The problem is your characters, especially mages at that point, are so powerful they can bend reality and elements to their will.

The reason Archtypes were added, is because in 3.5, you'd have to wait till level 5-6 to be able to actually get your Prestige class, then the game would actually start. Then you'd get to play that class for 5-6 levels and the content just dries up. It becomes alittle harder to create plots, it becomes harder to balance fights, as around that CR range, things can one shot you or the smallest oversight can completely screw the party. It becomes alot of issues, in 5e there isn't a "massive" amount of support, for 10-16.

This has almost always been the case for DnD, thats one of the reasons they sped the game up with 5e. Don't get me wrong, there are DMs that go past 12, but majority just have the players retire their characters and have them act as guidance for the next generation of PCs or end up NPCing them in the world.

Even for me after a 2 year campaign that we played once a week, highest my characters got to was level 12 at which point, they completed their quest, they stopped Bhaal from invading the Material Planes and at that point, what left is there for them. They can never go back to living a simple adventurers life, they are so powerful they'd be asked to becomes leaders of factions, leaders of cities, etc. etc. It just becomes harder to keep the game going, is why that typically doesn't happen, unless a campaign is specifically designed to go from 1-20.

25. - Top - End - #25

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I always wonder why they even bother creating levels 11 to 20 for all classes. Would be a lot easier to simply stop at 10. Would safe a lot of time and money, and make the PHB considerably smaller.
    This is the sacred cow that needs to be addressed in 6e when it comes around. Or at the very least make a better DMG that actually talks about running a game from 1-20 and the specific challenges to each tier (with examples)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have a level 20 Soradin in AL, and I gotta say, it is fun. I've found that my strategy has changed upon getting into tier 4 and reaching level 20. Up until then I was generally the front line tank that just smited things into oblivion and laughed as everything missed me due to my high AC. Now though, I've taken a more passive role. I usually spend my time working as a caster, supporting the party from the back. Though when the time comes I still charge in and smite things.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    This is the sacred cow that needs to be addressed in 6e when it comes around. Or at the very least make a better DMG that actually talks about running a game from 1-20 and the specific challenges to each tier (with examples)
    Again, the issue has nothing to do with the edition. It comes down to, DMs having to do alot of extra work.

Take a look at your MM and see truely how many enemies there are amongst levels 12-16, its not alot, even check VGM and MTF, both of them added some in, but not a large majority. And most of the monsters listed are just end game bosses. I.E. Beholders, Vampires, certain demons. They aren't your average infantry encounter monsters.

At that point, its on the DM to use the DM Workshop tools to create their own monsters, which comes down to a playtesting/balancing issue.

DnD has virtually never supported 12-16 and they've always been considered dead levels. 3.5 made an attempt with afew supplemental to fix this with MM 2 - 4, however it still comes down to the DM. 3.5 was hard, because at the end of the day, once you got to those levels, you would have players/enemies who could straight up hit for a +50 +80 +100 and have massive numbers. Combat drags on for hours, because of all the abilities, healing, going through spell lists. 5e rectified this by simplifying the numbers, however we don't have a supplemental out yet that actually takes care of those levels, other than a handful of enemies.

Again, its not impossible for a party to go to 20 from 1. Its just extremely hard for a DM to actually design a campaign that justifies a party doing that. I've tried, but at the end of the day, one quest takes priority, then they complete that one quest and its hard for them to do anything else.

I don't think any DnD fans, especially DMs want to even begin thinking of 6e, as we haven't gotten alot of supplemental support, just a ****load of adventures. I'd like to see a book drop, with some random ass stuff, like a book that focuses sheerly on east asian stuff, breaking down the society and focusing heavily on eastern mythology with the monsters and how to implement monsters from the MM into it. Theres still ALOT of mileage left on 5e, especially with how they are doing UA and the playtesting.
    Last edited by Mackatrin; 2019-04-20 at 01:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I really wonder what would happen if they would release PHBs in the BECMI style again. One book with the basic rules and all classes from level 1 to 10, and a second book from level 11 to 20, plus maybe some new classes.

Lots of people would buy the second book, but I assume sales would be much lower.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I really wonder what would happen if they would release PHBs in the BECMI style again. One book with the basic rules and all classes from level 1 to 10, and a second book from level 11 to 20, plus maybe some new classes.

Lots of people would buy the second book, but I assume sales would be much lower.
    I disagree. I think alot of people would just buy the first book and not alot would grab the second.

At the end of the day, it becomes alot of work at higher levels. I've had players who once they start hitting around 8, I have them managing their own businesses, estates, factions, etc. Alot of it comes to just getting bored playing the same character.

Again it comes down to DMs keeping the game interested and actually doing their own work.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by ZorroGames View Post
    Retiring frees up one’s time though income drops...
    As someone who's unemployed, not having a job paradoxically consumes more time.