New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Sonic the Hedgehog, the Movie

It'd probably look like Dragonball if you cut out all the episode-long charging of their ki beams and added more melee combat. The 10% of the shows where they attack instead of talk or grunt is generally extensively destructive to local property values up to and including moons or planets, which I figure is a natural consequence of any number of Exalts going to town in a fight.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2019-06-23 at 10:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    As I mentioned, it also probably made a lot more sense back when the cartoon was first shown, when I think you only had the original game? the sword beams were a lot more important back then, even the Wooden Sword gave them to you, and the Magical Sword that I believe Link is supposed to have in the show could shoot them even when you were injured. It's just they've become so downplayed in the series that the idea Link needs his lasers comes across as bizarre from a Zelda standpoint.
    I just want to point out here that the games where Link has a sword beam attack outnumber the ones where he doesn't.

By a lot.

Games where he has a sword beam attack of some variety (pulled from the Wiki)

1.1 The Legend of Zelda
    1.2 The Adventure of Link
    1.3 A Link to the Past
    1.4 Link's Awakening
    1.5 Majora's Mask
    1.6 Oracle of Seasons
    1.7 Oracle of Ages
    1.8 Four Swords
    1.9 Four Swords Adventures
    1.10 The Minish Cap
    1.11 Phantom Hourglass
    1.12 Spirit Tracks
    1.13 Skyward Sword
    1.14 A Link Between Worlds
    1.15 Tri Force Heroes
    1.16 Breath of the Wild
    2.2 Hyrule Warriors
    2.3 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

That leaves...um. Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess? Am I missing any? The CD-i games I guess.

I'm not disputing it was silly in the cartoon, but Link and his sword beams are pretty iconic and it never left the series.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Dang, I thought I was the ninja.
    Maybe I had more data?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I just want to point out here that the games where Link has a sword beam attack outnumber the ones where he doesn't.

By a lot.

[snip]

I'm not disputing it was silly in the cartoon, but Link and his sword beams are pretty iconic and it never left the series.
    Not to mention the show was from 1989. They had a whopping two games to source from.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

Bah, like half those games are from game boy! Thats like counting all the so called "final fantasy" games that were released as a part of the franchise. Im just kidding, I know there is a vast difference between an entirely different series being called final fantasy because its the only way americans would buy it and actual zelda games.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm still peeved that the remakes of those never got an English release.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

confused Re: Sonic the Hedgehog, the Movie

I love the medium and wish there was more being done with it. Imagine how cool an animated series with the style of Exalted could be!
    Exalted what now? What is this show with property destruction of Dragonball Z without the animation?

I'm still peeved that the remakes of those never got an English release.
    You mean Final Fantasy? They’ve all been remade and released in English...is this a joke I’m not getting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    You mean Final Fantasy? They’ve all been remade and released in English...is this a joke I’m not getting?
    There are a lot of games released as "Final Fantasy" games that are different franchises entirely.

One of my favorite "Final Fantasy" games is Final Fantasy Legend 2...otherwise known as SaGa 2 in Japan.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It'd probably look like Dragonball if you cut out all the episode-long charging of their ki beams and added more melee combat. The 10% of the shows where they attack instead of talk or grunt is generally extensively destructive to local property values up to and including moons or planets, which I figure is a natural consequence of any number of Exalts going to town in a fight.
    wow, Exalted 2e really did cement a lot of peoples interpretations of Exalted didn't it? just know that the current 3e canon is something less over the top. I like with DBExalted/AnimExalted/Gunstar Autochthonia, but not everyone does.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #279
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    wow, Exalted 2e really did cement a lot of peoples interpretations of Exalted didn't it? just know that the current 3e canon is something less over the top. I like with DBExalted/AnimExalted/Gunstar Autochthonia, but not everyone does.
    It's the only Exalted edition I have any familiarity with, so yes?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    There are a lot of games released as "Final Fantasy" games that are different franchises entirely.

One of my favorite "Final Fantasy" games is Final Fantasy Legend 2...otherwise known as SaGa 2 in Japan.
    And those (the Final Fantasies from the Gameboy) are the specific ones Traab was referencing as a comparison to the Gameboy Zeldas. There were Final Fantasy Legend 1, 2, and 3, which were SaGa 1, 2, and 3, and Final Fantasy Adventure which was the first game in the Secret of Mana series.

The Legend games were my introduction to Final Fantasy (or ironically...not) and JRPGs in general. And they are fantastic, some of the best games ever released for the original Gameboy.

In the late 2000s, they remade Final Fantasy Legend 2 and 3 for the DS, making them look gorgeous and updating the mechanics to be a bit more modern. Unfortunately, they decided that there was no English market for it and didn't bother to translate it and sell it overseas. Which is a damn shame, and I suspect would not have happened today with digital distribution.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

The Legend games were my introduction to Final Fantasy (or ironically...not) and JRPGs in general. And they are fantastic, some of the best games ever released for the original Gameboy.
    Eh.... I mean, they're okay and I remember enjoying them well enough but also having almost literally no idea what I was doing (well, not No but very little) because the game(s) tell you hardly anything about their rather weird mechanics. But yes, I'd also have loved to play the updated games.

Also, proposal for a new FF movie series , that's just a speed run of every game.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Griffins and doors drink polyjuice potion to look like humans, and then get sorted into house Gryffindor. And then I make a particularly bad play on words.
    Doors can drink now? I had no idea a door had an esophagus. Or do you just kind of splash it on the door and that counts as drinking. Or do you mean the band the Doors?

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Doors can drink now? I had no idea a door had an esophagus. Or do you just kind of splash it on the door and that counts as drinking. Or do you mean the band the Doors?
    Harumph, everyone knows the liquids can seep into wood, so clearly they can "drink" the potion enough to take effect. Thats just science. *EDIT* As for the gameboy FF games, I agree with the hard to figure out part. Pretty much every single one I played ended the same way, totally confused about what I was supposed to do and with no way of finding out as it was pre online walkthrough days for me.
    Last edited by Traab; 2019-06-24 at 08:21 AM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Harumph, everyone knows the liquids can seep into wood, so clearly they can "drink" the potion enough to take effect. Thats just science. *EDIT* As for the gameboy FF games, I agree with the hard to figure out part. Pretty much every single one I played ended the same way, totally confused about what I was supposed to do and with no way of finding out as it was pre online walkthrough days for me.
    I remember what I did. Quit playing until months or years later when I got bored and figured the damn thing out.

I didn't realize Final Fantasy Legend games were SaGa and Final Fantasy Adventure was the first Secret of Mana game, although it totally makes sense in retrospect (the latter one, the first one I still don't see the connection).
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Eh.... I mean, they're okay and I remember enjoying them well enough but also having almost literally no idea what I was doing (well, not No but very little) because the game(s) tell you hardly anything about their rather weird mechanics. But yes, I'd also have loved to play the updated games.

Also, proposal for a new FF movie series , that's just a speed run of every game.
    The updated games, from what I read a few years back, removed a lot of the weird mechanics that made the game interesting, unfortunately. Primarily the ability for your Monster companions to eat meat and become pretty much any non-boss in the game. They might have changed the interesting stat growth system for robots too.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The updated games, from what I read a few years back, removed a lot of the weird mechanics that made the game interesting, unfortunately. Primarily the ability for your Monster companions to eat meat and become pretty much any non-boss in the game. They might have changed the interesting stat growth system for robots too.
    I found the monsters fairly uninteresting, since they may start out strong when you get to a new area way ahead of your parties level, but by the time you are ready to leave they are the weakest. If you keep your party leveled, however, you encounter the new problem of which monster you want ever area, and by the time you figure it out they were weak.

Robots were more interesting since the upgrade system was interesting. The problem here, though, is that healing was a totally different process. The existence of a robot would tie up another character to keep them functioning.

Humans were ultimately the most powerful in a balanced party with solid healing. Robots and monsters are interesting, but ultimately, they were often a weaker choice.

Its similar in D&D, actually. Sure, you can choose to play a monster or get other unorthodox options, but the rule system makes sure these will gimp your character 95 times out of a 100, and the other 5 times you acquire some sort of exploit.

In Legends though, sadly I didn't find any really great exploits. Which should be another tip off that its not a "real" final fantasy game.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cool. I can't wait to see this movie? Did they change the movie for next year?

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Cool. I can't wait to see this movie? Did they change the movie for next year?
    Yes. General reception of the Sonic model was very negative, so they pushed back the release date so they could try again. Hopefully they release a preview of the new model before committing the resources to put it in all the scenes this time.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Yes. General reception of the Sonic model was very negative, so they pushed back the release date so they could try again. Hopefully they release a preview of the new model before committing the resources to put it in all the scenes this time.
    Ok I understand. Well I see the first glance of the live action Sonic I was like What....?

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

d20 Re: Sonic the Hedgehog, the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You can focus group that. I think they call it “test audience.” Of course, the internet probably beats those groups in terms of both generating buzz and getting the test right to the people who will see the movie.

However, the fan-made Sonics were pretty obvious. Of course, we also found the music was a poor choice (and poor taste).

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

You can focus group that. I think they call it “test audience.” Of course, the internet probably beats those groups in terms of both generating buzz and getting the test right to the people who will see the movie.

However, the fan-made Sonics were pretty obvious. Of course, we also found the music was a poor choice (and poor taste).
    Yeah, that song is about fairly serious issues that aren't board-safe, I have no clue what they were thinking. I could understand it if it was a recent song, but as it is the music was practically as bad a problem as Sonic was.

Now I'm remembering a conversation I had with my friends when we first learnt this movie was happening. We decided that the movie would only have been improved if they'd dyed actual hedgehogs blue (we were split on if firing them out of cannons was a good idea).

I suspect the 'new' sonic will keep a lot of the body shape but include a redesigned face and gloves. If only so they don't have to resort all his scenes.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that song is about fairly serious issues that aren't board-safe, I have no clue what they were thinking. I could understand it if it was a recent song, but as it is the music was practically as bad a problem as Sonic was.

Now I'm remembering a conversation I had with my friends when we first learnt this movie was happening. We decided that the movie would only have been improved if they'd dyed actual hedgehogs blue (we were split on if firing them out of cannons was a good idea).

I suspect the 'new' sonic will keep a lot of the body shape but include a redesigned face and gloves. If only so they don't have to resort all his scenes.
    I think I did this a page ago but its worth repeating. Real hedgehogs won't work. Looking at this thing:

You want to tell me the movie should take one of these things and dye it blue? If they did, I think they would have worse problem than the humane society, but probably them too.

The idea of using a "real" hedgehog is the only idea worse than what they actually did. Our problem with Sonic is he looks too much like a little human and doesn't have the proportions we are used to.

23. - Top - End - #293

I personally enjoyed the trailer, The song was an odd choice, and I am confused by his ring portal device. And as a final note, I find it interesting how a freaking air powered dart gun tags sonic, but 50k bullets and missiles fired from 2 dozen robots at all angles is a game to him. It probably would be addressed in the film but yeah, thats annoying. It would be like quicksilver being shot to death by a quinjet. Just absurd and would never happen in a movie.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I think I did this a page ago but its worth repeating. Real hedgehogs won't work. Looking at this thing:

You want to tell me the movie should take one of these things and dye it blue? If they did, I think they would have worse problem than the humane society, but probably them too.

The idea of using a "real" hedgehog is the only idea worse than what they actually did. Our problem with Sonic is he looks too much like a little human and doesn't have the proportions we are used to.
    You're missing the point. The point was even three years ago it was pretty clear that the only way this film would be genuinely enjoyable would be if they just went so ludicrous that it became stupid.

A blue realistic looking hedgehog, where the superspeed is done via 'practical effects' (such as the cannon that the humane society would likely object to even more) might make it cross into the 'so bad it's good territory, whereas the best thing I can say about the film as it stands is that it looks 'so standard it's bad', the worst assumption I have is 'cringe-fueled nightmare'. Compared to that I'd take a film where the majority of sonic's screentime was a blue blur smashing robots, with the small number of non-super speed scenes.

The point isn't that it would be more accurate or believable, but that it would be funnier.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I personally enjoyed the trailer, The song was an odd choice, and I am confused by his ring portal device. And as a final note, I find it interesting how a freaking air powered dart gun tags sonic, but 50k bullets and missiles fired from 2 dozen robots at all angles is a game to him. It probably would be addressed in the film but yeah, thats annoying. It would be like quicksilver being shot to death by a quinjet. Just absurd and would never happen in a movie.
    I know that scene gets a lot of flak, but I've never really gotten why. We aren't shown an exact distance away and the bullets are already in flight by the time Quicksilver starts running, and he is obviously going all out just to even reach Hawkeye. He could have avoided the bullets, but that would have meant not saving Hawkeye and the kid. Given the additional contractual obligation to not use him for more than one movie, the character got as good a death as anyone could ask for.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

We're talking two different things here. One is Quicksilver getting killed in Age of Ultron in the midst of a heroic rescue at presumably full speed. While you see contradictory things in comics a lot, its quite a stretch to see this happen to comic quicksilver, who can move at greater than light speed and should be able to move like the missiles were standing still, downed by a Quinjet. Its simply the case that Quicksilver isn't as fast in Age of Ultron as his comic counterpart.

Sonic, on the other hand, clearly gets surprised by the dart gun, while taking the bullets and missiles head on. The comics allow that speedsters can get surprised. Spiderman is the one that supposedly can't get surprised (although I seem to recall his spidey sense doesn't always allow him to react in time).

Finally, there's no reason to do a Deathbattle-like analysis that suggests the character has some exact speed and reaction trait. These characters always have a wide spread in performance.

27. - Top - End - #297

Ok guys, I know, I was just making a joke about a fellow speedster who got tagged by something that, in canon, should not have hit him.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Sonic the Hedgehog, the Movie

When in the Sonic thread, blue text is encouraged.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Firbolg in the Playground

and I am confused by his ring portal device
    That's actually a legit, albeit obscure, thing from the game. There were giant rings in some of the games that warped you to the bonus stages

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_Ring
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What bugs me most about the bit where he stops time is my perception of Sonic's speed. I've only really played the 2D games, and Sonic simply isn't a "Time Stop" level of speedster in the games. It would trivialize any fight against Eggman/Robotnik - Sonic goes up to full speed, Robotnik ceases movement, and Sonic casually dismantles his robot and ties Robotnik up at near-relativistic velocity. Sonic running alongside a missile to give it a kick and knock it off course? I'd be fine with that, although it's still a stretch. But that scene is just over the top to the point of parody.