New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is this world the first one with high level characters?

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    ^

The implication seems to be that it's rare but has happened. Only a small fraction of worlds have lasted long enough to raise gods, a fraction of that has lasted long enough to raise gods and also have enough time to gather resources, and presumably only a small fraction of those gods have been able to actually do it.

For all we know it was originally the Ten Gods or something.
    Fermi Paradox, but for Gods. Also, I like to theorize that Rabbit is an ascended God, chosen to replace the forgotten god Cat among the Twelve, after an extremely successful propaganda campaign by Rat sapped his worshipers to such an extent that he starved to death. This actually fits with real-world mythology: Cat is included in Rabbit's place in the Vietnamese Zodiac, and the explanation for why he isn't in the Chinese is a myth saying that, when all the animals of Earth were competing to become the Zodiac, Rat successfully tricked Cat into a close loss, thus starting the eternal war between their descendents. Makes sense: In the OOTS verse, I also like to believe that the threads of reality that formed Cat worlds ago, were later re-forged into Mr. Scruffy. True ruler of Azure City indeed.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-06-25 at 07:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Makes sense: In the OOTS verse, I also like to believe that the threads of reality that formed Cat two worlds ago, were later re-forged into Mr. Scruffy. True ruler of Azure City indeed.
    This is now canon.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-06-23 at 10:51 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    It is implied that different iterations have different non human races, so sometimes we only get Asiatic dwarves
    What happens to race specific gods who survive the transition and then get stuck with a new version of their race?
    Well, Thor changed his hair colour due to changes in the beliefs of mortals. Presumably gods are quite mutable, depending on their followers. So an Asiatic Dwarf God from world X will become a Parody Stick Figure Dwarf god in the current world, and perhaps be less Asian and more Glaswegian.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Well, Thor changed his hair colour due to changes in the beliefs of mortals. Presumably gods are quite mutable, depending on their followers. So an Asiatic Dwarf God from world X will become a Parody Stick Figure Dwarf god in the current world, and perhaps be less Asian and more Glaswegian.
    That sounds about right. And when the situation is one that cannot be reconciled between the god and the people's view of them (such as denying their existence) that leads to things like what happened to Odin. How a god looks is presumably the thing that changes the most easily.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

^

The implication seems to be that it's rare but has happened. Only a small fraction of worlds have lasted long enough to raise gods, a fraction of that has lasted long enough to raise gods and also have enough time to gather resources, and presumably only a small fraction of those gods have been able to actually do it.

For all we know it was originally the Ten Gods or something.
    I would frame that a little more conservatively.

New gods that are robust enough to survive until a new world can be made to populate with worshippers is surely very very rare. We can make a wild guess that there have been ballpark ~1,000,000 worlds and we seem to have only roughly ~100 gods (or less) that are the beefy ones.

It could be that dozens of new gods appear every world, especially demi/lesser gods like Dvalin. It would be a good guess that these basically never survive.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Could be this is the first world where a monster NPC God was born who decided to tell his followers the secret. (I'm guessing Fenrir etc weren't really telling their followers anything beyond 'Maim! Eat! Rend! Repeat!)

7. - Top - End - #37

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I would frame that a little more conservatively.

New gods that are robust enough to survive until a new world can be made to populate with worshippers is surely very very rare. We can make a wild guess that there have been ballpark ~1,000,000 worlds and we seem to have only roughly ~100 gods (or less) that are the beefy ones.

It could be that dozens of new gods appear every world, especially demi/lesser gods like Dvalin. It would be a good guess that these basically never survive.
    How does that contradict what I said?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

We can make a wild guess that there have been ballpark ~1,000,000 worlds
    That seems to be a ballpark at least three order of magnitude under the actual estimated number in the comic alone, and that's not considering issues with eclipsing. The true number is likely more than 3 orders of magnitude above that.

Or more likely, that non-OG gods have trouble surviving the successive worlds. The elven and dwarven gods will do well as long as there are dwarves and elves, but the moment the pantheons switch to, say, movie snack world, they're going to be forgotten and fade, just as the pizza god wouldn't have much belief in the current OotS.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-06-25 at 08:27 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

How does that contradict what I said?
    I posit it likely that a new world spawns several new gods. They just do not survive to be seen in the next.

Perhaps that is what you meant, too.

10. - Top - End - #40

WolfInSheepsClothing

I would guess that how many, if any, gods arise depends on both the length of time the world survives, and the world's theme. For example, I doubt a world that lasted 4 years had time to raise gods, and I would guess that a gritty cyberpunk world might be less likely to raise as many gods during its existence compared to a world based on a D&D system.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

We can make a wild guess that there have been ballpark ~1,000,000 worlds
    Spoiler: 1139
    Show

The grey background isn't mist, it gravestones too far off to see properly. there has been much much more than a million worlds before that one.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

I would guess that how many, if any, gods arise depends on both the length of time the world survives, and the world's theme. For example, I doubt a world that lasted 4 years had time to raise gods, and I would guess that a gritty cyberpunk world might be less likely to raise as many gods during its existence compared to a world based on a D&D system.
    What, people can't be worshipped as gods in a modern world?

13. - Top - End - #43

WolfInSheepsClothing

It's not that they can't. Just that such worlds probably result in fewer gods.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Spamalot in the Playground

At best it's the first world to use D&D 3.5, and I'm not even positive about that given how the edition change happened in medias res like that. Seemed to be a planned threshold kind of deal.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    At best it's the first world to use D&D 3.5, and I'm not even positive about that given how the edition change happened in medias res like that. Seemed to be a planned threshold kind of deal.
    That change also seems to have been retroactive, judging by SOD.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Pizza appeared to have enough levels to one-shot Milk Dude, and Soda's epic revenge quest probably required earning a lot of EXP.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Or more likely, that non-OG gods have trouble surviving the successive worlds. The elven and dwarven gods will do well as long as there are dwarves and elves, but the moment the pantheons switch to, say, movie snack world, they're going to be forgotten and fade, just as the pizza god wouldn't have much belief in the current OotS.

Grey Wolf
    Wait, is OoTS world lacking in pizza?

We know it has waffles and tacos and orange juice, per the brunch after the death of Crystal.
    We know it has kimchee, per O'Chul's musings on the way to the last gate in the frozen north ...
    We know about pickles and various sandwiches and sardines, from Belkar in the thieves guild and his meals therein ...
    We know there is coffee, that Xykon can't drink now.

Is there any evidence of pizza in OoTS world?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-07-08 at 02:44 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Wait, is OoTS world lacking in pizza?

We know it has waffles and tacos and orange juice, per the brunch after the death of Crystal.
    We know it has kimchee, per O'Chul's musings on the way to the last gate in the frozen north ...
    We know about pickles and various sandwiches and sardines, from Belkar in the thieves guild and his meals therein ...
    We know there is coffee, that Xykon can't drink now.

Is there any evidence of pizza in OoTS world?
    It seems to me pizza exists within OotSWorld (last panel).
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

19. - Top - End - #49

The evidence seems clear.

The MiTD is a box of Mintos (“the curiously strong mint”).
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Could be this is the first world where a monster NPC God was born who decided to tell his followers the secret. (I'm guessing Fenrir etc weren't really telling their followers anything beyond 'Maim! Eat! Rend! Repeat!)
    Unlikely. All of the gods are quite sentient and intelligent, Fenrir seems to be in a bit of a fervor at the moment instead of being an entity of basal instincts.

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Since Thor said that previously mortals have reached godhood in other worlds too, it is likely that they have been high-level or something equivalent from the other worlds.

And now I shudder at the thought of a previous world using Warhammer Fantasy rules or something.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    A world based on Stick figure DnD parody is probably predated by several worlds based on actual DnD, so no.
    Hmmm. What if the gods played D&D, and said, "For our next world, we should do something like this!"

Maybe they picked it up in our world, which would have been one of the older, scribbled-over worlds. "A world of humans with no magic? Sounds kind of basic, doesn't it?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmit Svenson View Post
    Hmmm. What if the gods played D&D, and said, "For our next world, we should do something like this!"

Maybe they picked it up in our world, which would have been one of the older, scribbled-over worlds. "A world of humans with no magic? Sounds kind of basic, doesn't it?"
    That would imply we're dead...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

In regards to the original question, there have definitely been earlier D&D editions.

When Thor is explaining Odin's mental issues he's specifically referencing the Second Edition ruleset and details. Specifically saying the Dwarves were barbarians who thought magic was dumb nonsense for fools and simpletons.

Second Edition D&D (And 1st before it) Dwarves couldn't be mages, had some level of natural magic resistance and tends to look down on wizards. Also, 2nd Ed is where the BattleRager comes from and trust me, the 3.5 Prestige Class and the 5e Barbarian Focus don't really come close to the level of brainless smash smash that thing was.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    In regards to the original question, there have definitely been earlier D&D editions.

When Thor is explaining Odin's mental issues he's specifically referencing the Second Edition ruleset and details. Specifically saying the Dwarves were barbarians who thought magic was dumb nonsense for fools and simpletons.

Second Edition D&D (And 1st before it) Dwarves couldn't be mages, had some level of natural magic resistance and tends to look down on wizards. Also, 2nd Ed is where the BattleRager comes from and trust me, the 3.5 Prestige Class and the 5e Barbarian Focus don't really come close to the level of brainless smash smash that thing was.
    That's a massive stretch. And it directly contradicts actual canon, where Haley's dad was a first edition thief back in the day, implying that OotS world has gone through at least three editions in this world alone (1st, 3.0, 3.5).

There is no indication that the worshipers that messed up Odin in the previous world were dwarves, nor that they were running any D&D rules at all.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 11:09 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    There is no indication that the worshipers that messed up Odin in the previous world were dwarves, nor that they were running any D&D rules at all.
    Grey Wolf
    Which comic does Haley's dad say that?

As for the rest, there's plenty of indication, if you know a setting other than early edition D&D where Dwarves are Berserking anti-mage drunkards I'd love to hear about it. (Not meant mean or anything, I legitimately cannot come up with anything in all the fiction and myth I've read where the Norse gods had followers like this. Even if you go with Earth Vikings, the ragey stuff is a silly stereotype and they had a lot of mysticism that they respected or feared.)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Which comic does Haley's dad say that?
    Link

As for the rest, there's plenty of indication, if you know a setting other than early edition D&D where Dwarves are Berserking anti-mage drunkards I'd love to hear about it.
    Again, you are assuming your own conclusion. There is no indication that the believers that messed up Odin were dwarves. And there is no need for previous worlds to fit any existing settings, anymore than there needs to be an existing setting where laser-snails are a thing.

Canon is that in the previous world, the worshipers of the Northen gods (which might have been, for all we know, intelligent lawnmowers) disliked magic, and thus the god of Magic for the northern pantheon was given a crippling mental condition.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 11:55 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

BardGuy

You seem to heavily underestimate Rich's effort and research. The joke is a meaningless throw away the way you take it, where as it's a clever in joke nod to those who played 2nd edition by my interpretation.

You're welcome to disagree, this is hardly something worth fighting over, but again, he rarely makes pointless jokes that have no purpose or reference and again I can think of no other fiction or real life where the Norse gods are worshipped by people as Thor describes.

As for the link, I'm torn on that, it's issue 8. Well before most of the world, setting and plot were developed. It's possible that it's still cannon and also possible that's something that the series has long outgrown, I mean we have a Belkar who gets flustered by double talk and feels bad for accusing someone of theft. Not saying it's impossible for Belkar to fall for that type of thing, but g guilty and apologetic?. Would be curious for Mr. Burlew's comment if I have get the chance to ask.
    Last edited by Pixel_Kitsune; 2019-07-15 at 03:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

You seem to heavily underestimate Rich's effort and research. The joke is a meaningless throw away the way you take it, where as it's a clever in joke nod to those who played 2nd edition by my interpretation.
    Alternatively, you are seeing a connection where there is none. If Rich had wanted to make a joke about 2nd ed dwarves, you'd think he'd mention dwarves or 2nd ed. He did neither, instead at best referencing any number of barbarian-like cultures, the most obvious of which would be Conan.

You're welcome to disagree, this is hardly something worth fighting over, but again, he rarely makes pointless jokes that have no purpose or reference and again I can think of no other fiction or real life where the Norse gods are worshipped by people as Thor describes.
    Again: laser-snail. Not every previous world is a reference to an existing setting, and your continued assertion it must is baffling at best.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-07-15 at 03:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As for the link, I'm torn on that, it's issue 8. Well before most of the world, setting and plot were developed. It's possible that it's still cannon and also possible that's something that the series has long outgrown, I mean we have a Belkar who gets flustered by double talk and feels bad for accusing someone of theft. Not saying it's impossible for Belkar to fall for that type of thing, but g guilty and apologetic?. Would be curious for Mr. Burlew's comment if I have get the chance to ask.
    AFAIK, the "barbarians that decided magic was dumb nonsense" stuff is a nod to 2nd edition Barbarians that distrusted and hated magic, but it could also be a reference to lots of settings that have similar relationships beetween noble barbarians (or not so noble barbarians) and magic. Conan stories have some of this tone, for example.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-07-15 at 03:56 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"