New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Tales of Trollskull Alley IC

Trollskull Alley Tavern. Nestled in the winding and cramped side street that gives the taproom its namesake, the festive and warm nature of the Fool's Court suffuses the torchlit building and gives it a jolly energy. Browned and crispy leaves swirl around in the cold winds arriving, heralding winter. The people of Ermeridian are wrapping up the harvest and preparing for the upcoming winter.

However, the Trollskull Alley Tavern houses more than just satisfied patrons. The place is absolutely brimming with what most would consider to be the scum of the earth- cutpurses and smugglers and slavers and assassins all mill about, enjoying each other's company and making merriment just like the normal hoi polloi inhabiting of the tap.

In the corner, a light game of three-dragon ante is afoot, populated by a strange panoply of individuals. While some are playing fair, the deck is stocked with about 5 too many Gold Dragons, and some at the table are using their guile or magical prowess to turn the game towards their favor. None of them particularly care, being at the least good acquaintances and at the most adopted family.

You are all playing the game in order to wait for your contact to arrive. Your contact, a senior assassin rumored to take orders directly from the Shaar, is going to brief you on your next task for the Apex. In the meantime, you can all describe your characters and make small talk in wait.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Trollskull Alley IC

Oro holds the right amount of cards. She's never been much of a gambler, not even casually, and her mind is barely on the game. She breaks out of her bubble of thoughts for a moment, just long enough to see how screwed her hand makes her, and announces I fold, setting her cards facedown on the table.

She stands, stretching up to her full height of just over seven feet. Her eyes scan the room, and settle on a rather unruly patron. One moment, friends, she says, leaving the gambling table and resting a massive hand on the patron's shoulder. She doesn't say a word-she doesn't even glare or anything. She simply places her hand there and notices him. No threat-only a promise that it would be very much in his best interest to shape up or go home.

After a few moments, she lets go, letting the man scurry away (or try something stupid, if he really wants to).
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

The patron ducks and runs almost immediately. Your reputation precedes you.
    See that cool Teifling? Thanks, potatopeelerkin! If you want something like it, they have more avatars up for adoption in the thread with the same name...

Hey, I have an extended signature now!

4. - Top - End - #4

Oro chuckles a little, and returns to her seat.

Show
    Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Khamuush is lounging in his chair, pretending - and failing - not to be irritated at the quality of cards he's drawn. He's intimate with the tricks that make the game attractive to many, but there's no use knowing them if you're unable to draw a winning hand. He releases his tongue from between his teeth to announce to the table. "I'm folding too. If I'd known this was today's luck I wouldn't have called for this in the first place."
    He leans back in his chair, eyes darting left and right as he continues to converse. They never seem to sit quite still, always drinking in the atmosphere, who was causing trouble, the people who slunk in and out, the coins exchanging hands. "Just a little longer and that skinny one on the edge of his seat was going to stab him. Shame you're so responsible Oro."
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

6. - Top - End - #6

I have a job to keep the people in here safe. I take my job seriously, she says. And, more importantly, we just got new tablecloths. You know how hard bloodstains are to get out.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nadarr gave a pleased hiss at his hand, it was pretty good damn near perfect. He laid the cards out on the table and took a long puff of his pipe exhaling the smoke out through his nostrils.

"Best hand I've had all night." The scaled sorcerer blew out another puff of smoke and eyed the bowel of his pipe, he spun and tapped it gently against a tray sat on the table. Carefully he took a pinch of pipeweed filled the bowel back up, with a snap of his fingers he held a small flame at the tip of his talon and lit it back up. "Ahhhh."

Spoiler
    Show

I think pipeweed is just a name for tobacco in DnD? O.o

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I have a job to keep the people in here safe. I take my job seriously, she says. And, more importantly, we just got new tablecloths. You know how hard bloodstains are to get out.
    "Fire prevents bleeding." Another short puff. "Just saying."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"I bet our elexir inclined friend could cook up something to get rid of bloodstains. But there's no way to turn a burtn hunk of wood back into a table as far as I'm aware."
    Khamuush leans in a bit to look at Nadarr's hand."This is bullsh*t"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

To Oro's left, sits a man of unmentionable stature seemingly known to those around the table. His Garb, unassuming. His mannerisms draw no attention. In fact, until he opens his mouth - you'd hardly know he was there...and the opposite is true afterwords. He appears...more than friendly (if not, a little too friendly) with those around the table, Cittern strapped to his back.

To new-commers he's known as Jean Claude Gustave-Clarette III...but...most just call him Jean (Pronounced John). Those who stray from law-abiding lifestyles may have heard of him, though most wouldn't put a face to the name.

He sits with a modest amount of chips at the table, engaging in the game of cards...but those known to Jean are more than aware that is not where his attention lies...and currently, it's with Oro's disruptive friend.

Fold...

Jean strategically moves towards the door as Oro approached the patron, and unassumingly swipes an unattended flagon of ale from a table. As the man dashes for the door, rattled by Oro's intimidating presence, Jean bumps in to him from the side opposite the direction his head is turned as he moves to the door from Oro.

Hey! Get out of here man, you're not welcome! He slurs in a sudden change of dialect.

Spoiler: Pickpocket
    Show

Sleight of hand check to steal whatever's in his pockets

(1d20+11)[22]

Jean imediately, and seemlessly, slips into the crowd - Blending like a chameleon of the Bar - molding into a piece of his environment.
    Spoiler: JIC Stealth check
    Show

(1d20+11)[23]

Afterwhich Jean moves back around, darting between Patrons, over to Oro.
    We should play cards more often...
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-05-27 at 09:39 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

11. - Top - End - #11

Sighing, Oro shakes her head. What did he even have on him? Last time this happened, you got six coppers. Hardly worth the effort.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Sighing, Oro shakes her head. What did he even have on him? Last time this happened, you got six coppers. Hardly worth the effort.
    Sometimes, you have to sift through the bad hands to win the big pot... Jean responds, as he folds another hand, Eyes shifting about the bar.

Besides, you remember the nobleman who stumbled in here who's ring i was able to plant on one of his guards. You cant tell me that wasnt...amusing...watching his guards fight eachother in the alley. Best fun ive had in quite a while.

Jean collects another hand and shifts through his pocket, feeling out what exactly he just lifted off the patron.

His gaze shifts to the others at the table, You could keep the furniture blood-free - kill em somewhere else. Like i always say, boys. Best kill is the one you got someone else to do...
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-05-27 at 09:50 PM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Eldon idly shifts his cards in his hand. He isn't particularly good at cards, but several of his allies enjoyed the game enough and it was something to do while they awaited an assignment. The gnome, fingers stained from years of alchemical work, sighs and sets his hand down I'll fold, too. I'm terrible at this game

He observes Jean Claude's antics while responding to the others.
    I don't make cleaning products. Blood stains can come out of someone else's paycheck. My materials are expensive enough as is. He rolls his curiously engraved stone between his hands, a common idle gesture from him.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-05-27 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Does that mean I take the hand?" Nadarr was better at dice then cards, he'd gotten a lucky hand but truth be told he had a hard time remembering the rules of the game he knew enough to play a friendly hand but put him up against anyone playing seriously he'd most likely lose in the first few turns. The Dragonborn was half listening to the conversation. He collected his winnings and drew a new hand.

"Well my way doesn't leave evidence." He answered after a moment. "I was never good at pickpocketing. My scales would always catch on the fabric."

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]"I was never good at pickpocketing. My scales would always catch on the fabric."
    Yah, Me neither...
    Jean smirks, the only thing he loved more than swiping a hand full off of an unsuspecting bystandard... was impressing others with just how good he was at it.

Keep your eyes open for another easy mark - we have to keep the money on the table flowing somehow rather than taking it from each other! He laughs and nudges Oro next to him.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-05-27 at 10:22 PM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Eldon scans the room, but he's trying to keep an eye out for their contact rather than Jean's next mark I do wish we could discuss something other than crime and gambling sometimes. His fingers begin to thud against the table and he mutters to himself. A moment later a small hand appears above the table and collects the cards from the round, depositing them where they belonged, before drawing and bringing him a new hand. It is something of a necessity, given the gnome's comparatively short arms to that of his fellows.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-05-27 at 10:34 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bah, the real fun is in jobs. Seeing a plan come together has a special sweetness to it."
    He waves a hand in the air towards the gnome. "What do you want to talk about then? All I know is that I'm anxious to do something more than... this. And the opportunity is walking towards us, so it's on my mind."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Something other than crime and gambling..." Nadarr wracked his brains for a topic. "Well last week...no wait that's crime-related." The Dragon tapped a talon on the table as he pondered, "It's getting colder out. I suppose that means we'll see an influx of trade. Last minute sailors and caravans trying to make some coin before winter sets in and the river freezes." It wasn't much but it was the best he could do. "Last year around this time a trader showed up with some spices from down south. I hope he shows up again, those spices bring back memories."

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Eldon scans the room, but he's trying to keep an eye out for their contact rather than Jean's next mark I do wish we could discuss something other than crime and gambling sometimes. His fingers begin to thud against the table and he mutters to himself. A moment later a small hand appears above the table and collects the cards from the round, depositing them where they belonged, before drawing and bringing him a new hand. It is something of a necessity, given the gnome's comparatively short arms to that of his fellows.
    Jean's face quickly shifts from a charming, playful smile...to a serious demeanor that cuts through the vibrant affect of the bar scene. He leans in to Eldon, his speech becomes soft, but piercing...and lowers to nearly a whisper.

My friend, I'll share something with you that a mentor whom I learned the majority of my trade taught me. He used to tell me, "Jean - never forget. No one suspects the man who's concern is stealing bread of killing the king"

He meets Eldons gaze for a moment, then his face shifts to a charismatic smile and a wink.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-05-27 at 10:55 PM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfall View Post
    "Something other than crime and gambling..." Nadarr wracked his brains for a topic. "Well last week...no wait that's crime-related." The Dragon tapped a talon on the table as he pondered, "It's getting colder out. I suppose that means we'll see an influx of trade. Last minute sailors and caravans trying to make some coin before winter sets in and the river freezes." It wasn't much but it was the best he could do. "Last year around this time a trader showed up with some spices from down south. I hope he shows up again, those spices bring back memories."
    The disembodied hand gestures to the Red Dragonborn There's something. I've been needing a few ingredients from the east for a project I'm working on. Supposedly there's a certain type of frog that regenerates vital organs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallytrev813 View Post
    Jean's face quickly shifts from a charming, playful smile...to a serious demeanor that cuts through the vibrant affect of the bar scene. He leans in to Eldon, his speech becomes soft, but piercing...and lowers to nearly a whisper.

My friend, I'll share something with you that a mentor whom I learned the majority of my trade taught me. He used to tell me, "Jean - never forget. No one suspects the man who's concern is stealing bread of killing the king"

He meets Eldons gaze for a moment, then his face shifts to a charismatic smile and a wink.

Eldon rolls his eyes Murdered any monarchs lately, Jean? Or have you just been knocking over bread carts? Some time ago he would have been off put by such a comment but spending so much time with the criminal element, particularly his companions, had taught him about posturing.
    Last edited by Luccan; 2019-05-27 at 11:12 PM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGuy

T

Eldon rolls his eyes Murdered any monarchs lately, Jean? Or have you just been knocking over bread carts? Some time ago he would have been off put by such a comment but spending so much time with the criminal element, particularly his companions, had taught him about posturing.
    ...define lately He laughs and leans back, sipping on his drink.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The disembodied hand gestures to the Red Dragonborn There's something. I've been needing a few ingredients from the east for a project I'm working on. Supposedly there's a certain type of frog that regenerates vital organs.
    "...Wait are you making the frog or is the frog the ingredient?" Nadarr was hoping it was the former rather than the latter. he had a sudden fantasy of throwing a jar full of frogs into someone's face.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Mikal Reshef
    Djantosian Human Cleric of Cavarrash
    AC: 18
    HP: 63/63
    Passive Perception: 17
    Condition: Normal

"Not so fast, Nadarr," Mikal says, revealing three Red Dragons in his hand and scooping up the gold on the table. "Looks like the Scales were in my favor today." Three-Dragon Ante is always more fun with a little bit of secret divine guidance.

He sits back while Oro bounces an unwelcome patron and Jean Claude picks the unfortunate mark's pockets. They're doing their jobs, no need for him to bestir himself from his chair and his near-retirement. He suspects that won't last long, though, since Anat Al’Quiimn is about to meet them and she always brings trouble with her. But she's rumored to be close to the Shaar, so it's always wise to help her out with her little tasks.

"Sounds like this frog would be quite useful in your research," he says to Eldon. "Don't forget that Cavarrash will have His due, though. You might be able to work a deal out with Him for yourself, but don't let this frog fall into the hands of our enemies or those awaiting a visit by the Shadowbearers." His tone is nonchalant, as if he were discussing the weather with Nadarr rather than the knife's edge between life and death.
    Show
    PC
    • Shahaar, Droaamite goblin cleric of the Dark Six in "Mysteries of Q'barra"
    • Mikal Reshef, human Death cleric in "Tales of Trollskull Alley"
    • Thyia the Mainad, human "druid" of Dionysos in "Bronze Blades and Olive Glades"
    • Mantika Thraissa, half-orc cleric of Olidammara in "Slaves of Emor"

DM

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nadarr was more annoyed that his hand had been beaten by Red Dragons than the fact he'd lost at all. "Now that's just twisting the knife." Nadarr gave a chuckle.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Mikal Reshef

Mikal laughs along with the red-scaled dragonborn and agrees, "Aye, that's quite the irony, all right. The cards have a strange sense of humor." The Djantosian speaks as if the cards have a sentience of their own. Which to him, they do.
    Show
    PC
    • Thyia the Mainad, human "druid" of Dionysos in "Bronze Blades and Olive Glades"

DM

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

They're ingredients. Though it might be worth it to see if I can build one He shrugs at the Djantosian's warning. I keep my work close. And if Cavarrash has a problem with my research, there's a bit of a line.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Mikal Reshef

Mikal laughs again at Eldon's response. "I got no problem with what you do, myself. And the Knife is just true to His nature, y'know? Doesn't really have problems with anyone, so to speak. Glad you're selective who you share your research with, though. It'd make things harder for the rest of us if anyone on the street could recover from a dagger to the heart."

"Where's Anat, by the way? She's late, again."
    Show
    PC

DM

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Khamuush is clearly vexed by the appearance of an Eben better hand than before, as indicated by his incredulously gesturing hand. "You sure it's Anat? Could be another. Besides, it's common petty politics to keep us waiting to remind us who's in charge."

"And Jean, if you get the chance to kill a non-hypothetical king, and I don't get to have a hand in it we're going to have some issues."

29. - Top - End - #29

Something other than crime... Oro muses. We could talk about boys, she says with a smile. I'd say men, but I don't think you get that title unless you can stand a chance against me in a fight. And no one in this bar-present company excluded, of course-fits that criteria.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

BardGuy

Something other than crime... Oro muses. We could talk about boys, she says with a smile. I'd say men, but I don't think you get that title unless you can stand a chance against me in a fight. And no one in this bar-present company excluded, of course-fits that criteria.
    Jean flips around his Cittern and begins strumming a delightful melody, slow and soft. He begins singing softly - to match the melody. The words, however, are in stark contrast - depicting the story of Oro, the man destroyer.

♫ The boys with their ale who seek her hand-they tend to fair so poor-oh. None compare, none have a chance, the Man-destoryer Oro... ♫

Jean grins and nudges Oro jokingly.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-05-28 at 10:31 AM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC