New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Circle of the Shepherd Druid Guide to Fuzzy Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Master O'Laughs View Post
    For a Shepard Druid with 20 CON and proficiency in CON saves, would a cloak of protection or Sentinel Shield be a better uncommon magic item?

I am thinking the advantage on initiative is better since you can set up the battlefield with all the doggos.
    Depends on how you play/how your DM is. If you are safe mostly and your front line can keep enemies off you, Sentinel Shield would be better. If you are in danger a lot and your DM has enemies going straight for you, Cloak of Protection would be better.

2. - Top - End - #62

For a Shepard Druid with 20 CON and proficiency in CON saves, would a cloak of protection or Sentinel Shield be a better uncommon magic item?

I am thinking the advantage on initiative is better since you can set up the battlefield with all the doggos.
    Depends on what circumstances encounters tend to occur under. Do monsters usually surprise you at point blank range? If so, initiative matters. If not, it matters much less.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nhym View Post
    Depends on how you play/how your DM is. If you are safe mostly and your front line can keep enemies off you, Sentinel Shield would be better. If you are in danger a lot and your DM has enemies going straight for you, Cloak of Protection would be better.
    If it is an open battlefield I will get targeted some but the DM typically spreads the wealth with his monsters' attacks. There have been fights where I was able to successfully avoid all but 1 attack since I hid behind a corner most of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Depends on what circumstances encounters tend to occur under. Do monsters usually surprise you at point blank range? If so, initiative matters. If not, it matters much less.
    Except for a few fights, enemies usually start within closing distance of us.

From both comments, sounds like the sentinel shield would be the better option.

4. - Top - End - #64

Remember that you can also precast Conjure Animals though. It has an hour-long duration. If you feel like a fight is coming up, cast the spell and shift into wildshape before the fight.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

If it is an open battlefield I will get targeted some but the DM typically spreads the wealth with his monsters' attacks. There have been fights where I was able to successfully avoid all but 1 attack since I hid behind a corner most of the fight.

From both comments, sounds like the sentinel shield would be the better option.
    From what you have said, yeah it seems like Sentinel Shield would be the best option.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Great guide has been incredibly helpful for my Water genasi Druid.
    Thanks
    CENTER]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MickyDruidic View Post
    Great guide has been incredibly helpful for my Water genasi Druid.
    Thanks
    No problem, glad I could help :)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

As an update for anyone interested: Since posting, multiple new sections have been added and changed/edited. Please let me know if there is anything further I can add/improve!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Would it be possible to see DPR ranges for each summons?

Also, I think you may be underrating Warhorse. You reference it for transport only, but it hits like a greatsword, and trampling charge is essentially Pounce
    Getting that DC14 prone early can double the DPR of a group of warhorses as they all get a second attack

Compared to Velociraptors, one hooves does do less than a multiattack, 11 vs 14, but the warhorse is +6 to hit vs +4. If the first or second warhorse that attacks gets the prone rider, the whole group of 4 will have more dpr than the 8 velociraptors. Probably even if its the third warhorse prone procs on when you take the accuracy difference into account

10. - Top - End - #70

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GeistInMachine View Post

Also, I think you may be underrating Warhorse. You reference it for transport only, but it hits like a greatsword, and trampling charge is essentially Pounce
    Getting that DC14 prone early can double the DPR of a group of warhorses as they all get a second attack

Compared to Velociraptors, one hooves does do less than a multiattack, 11 vs 14, but the warhorse is +6 to hit vs +4. If the first or second warhorse that attacks gets the prone rider, the whole group of 4 will have more dpr than the 8 velociraptors. Probably even if its the third warhorse prone procs on when you take the accuracy difference into account
    Velociraptors are Tiny rather than Large, so you have much less of an issue maneuvering indoors. Also, the velociraptors have pack tactics, which obviates any difficulties they might have hitting.

Additionally, if you have enough room to do the charging attack conga with 4 warhorses, why not use 8 elk?

Not that the warhorse idea is bad, just not as powerful as other similar creatures.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GeistInMachine View Post

It's about perspective. While it's not bad on its own, it needs to be looked at through the scope of the spell. Warhorses are in the unfortunate position of being CR 1/2 so you can only get 4, while it is much worse individually than the CR 2 options.

So for straight damage, it's always better to go for 8 CR 1/4ths and if you need fewer summons, it's better to get an Auroch or Rhino.

I will say that they can make really good front liners if you can get the ones with Plate armor for 18 AC.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Wow, what a fun guide! Thank you!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Wow, what a fun guide! Thank you!
    Much appreciated! I will continue to update and improve is as well, and am always willing to take suggestions.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Updated with a section on the new Variant Class Features.

15. - Top - End - #75

It's very minor, but I just thought I'd mention Yeth Hounds also fair okay in indoor dungeons.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Amazing guide, thank you for your contribution!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Nhym’s Shepherd Druid Guide;
    Nature Always Wins

Full guide here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comments appreciated :)
    Thanks for sharing your view! ;)

A few comments/critics.
    But first, disclaimer: this is a GREAT guide, ESPECIALLY all the break-down of conjurable creatures by spell/condition/specialties. First time I see it and it's really extremely valuable (also helps people seeing how great and versatile Druid can actually be, even through "procuration". XD).
    So, while some of my comments may seem harsh or diminishing, take them just as what they are: constructive (or at least attempts to be) opiniated criticisms from a more or less random stranger. :)
    And plz trust that I'm very grateful for the amount of time and thinking that went through this work. Thanks a bunch!

1. Feats:
    - I really don't get why you'd put Lucky over Alert. This is directly going against what you said earlier, being that you can be a hell of a controller/tank (through summons)/debuffer.
    Lucky is just three attack rolls or ability checks you can reverse. Alert is a half-guarantee you can be the first to act in fight and immediately put enemy army in disarray. This one should be first or second grade, not near-last. Lucky should be "medium" at most, it's really not that impressive compared to every other great feat a Druid can grab.
    - I don't get Mobile either: mobility is one can make you simply avoid melee attacks (out of range) or ranged attacks/magic effects (back behind cover) in the first place. And you can at least try to attack if you need to Disengage. Great if you have a melee attack cantrip, which bring a point about race evaluation: ELVES should be put one rank higher: free cantrip (High) means having a good weapon attack when close range is here, while free short-rest Misty Step (Eladrin) can save your hide more often than not. And it also opens up access to neat racial feats and provide you a great regular attack for the first levels (ranged weapons proficiencies) where you are the most exposed.

- Magic Initiate: agreed on the specific Find Familiar case. It's not all there is though, not at all. If you went for a bulky race that goes to town with his wolf pack, Booming Blade can actually be a good pick. Otherwise, with Druid having such little choice in cantrips compared to everyone else, expanding your utility with some elemental classics (Shape Water, Mold Earth, Create Bonfire) or Wizardry (Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion) can be largely worth, as well as grabbing some WIS-based cantrips from Cleric or even from your own Druid. And you could also learn spells either for that one big emergency (aka Shield), or as a way to simply get a utility you can use often enough for the cases arising (Comprehend Languages, Catapult, Command, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Grease, Hex for a few examples).
    Should really be rated at least black, because it can allow you to tailor your character concept in so many ways.

- Observant: should be rated at least one rank higher, if not highest, but that of course depends on how you want to play your character: but even if you're not a Moon druid, you have access to enough beast forms to get by unnoticed in most places. And once you access flying, you can spy from distances beyond any kind of control. Plus, you know, big boost to Perception which always come in handy to avoid sad surprises.

- Warcaster: should be rated one rank less. Cast as reaction is something you probably won't see often as a backline caster (unless of course you do build your Shepherd as a frontliner), you don't need the "weapon facility" unless you went for a melee weapon because, again, you built a frontliner. Otherwise, Thorns Whip does the job very well (you *can* pull people, you are *not* forced to do so). So you simply don't need to wield a weapon in a hand usually, and if you really do so, a thrown weapon will do. If you really need to get ranged, you probably will need to switch to ranged weapons, unless you picked Spell Sniper. :)
    So it's really essentially the advantage on concentration checks that Warcaster brings, and while that is good, if you already picked Resilient (which brings less at low level but is the best of both in the long run) you can do without.

2. Races (continued)
    - I don't see why Firbolg is just black. +1 STR is not great, but it can be used. Starting with 17 WIS for upcoming Observant feat or +1/+1 ASI is very handy. And every other thing is either a great utility for anyone (free Disguise Self recharging on short rest means basically you can spend all day Disguised, free Invisible every short rest means possibly avoiding a nasty blow to your important concentration spell) or complete synergy with Shepherd (ability to talk to ALL plants, including those who don't have Sylvan, AND advantage on all Charisma checks towards beasts and plants!!).
    Firbolg should be the top 1 choice from a mechanical point of view, and at least in the top 5.

- Human variant is far from being overpowered imo, in general, but even more here: Druid is not a class craving for ASI unless you have a specific mix of feats in mind.
    It's sometimes much better to start with a 17 that you'll top off later with a "half-feat".

- Half-Elf, especially the Wood Elf descent one: this one should be quoted, and quoted good. "Wait, are you crazy? It's +2 CHA, not WIS! We don't care about CHA!"
    Or do we? As you say yourself, Shepherd is all about herding, hiring and manipulating beasts. It's its schtick. Secondary schtick being a great support.
    So, wouldn't having a good CHA make for a great Herder? Especially if you pair that with
    Inspiring Leader and/or Prodigy. First makes another great cushion of THP to use before Druid's Aura (useful especially if you feel Unicorn should be used instead of Bear for current situation). And, if you really lean into the "beast/plant army", can really make a difference in your allies's survivability during a scout or harass mission. Second can make you extra good at spying, scouting, sneaking, convincing, whatever you'd like.
    It's much better imo than LizardFolk, which essentially has the +2 CON for it, but everything else average (natural armor would need great DEX, melee capabilities are overall a bad idea for a caster) and should be toned down at least one rank.

- Aarakocra should be rated at least one rank less: yeah, you have a flight speed, yoohoo? Except you don't live past 30 years (in one shots you won't care, in long campaign this can get really frustrating), and you cannot wear anything more than light armor (meaning even lower AC than the minimum vital for a concentrating castr). Also, YMMV obviously, but flying usually means you're exposed (no cover) so enemy ranged attackers will probably be glad you make yourself such an easy target if they see you as a threat (and they should if they saw you cast that Plant Growth, Conjure Animals or Moonbeam). Finally, IIRC, you're supposed to have a disadvantage of some sort when in confined, obscured space, although cannot remember what exactly.
    It's definitely not a "top pick". A good one sure, but it does have significant drawbacks for something you could approach easily enough once you are level 8.

3. Skills
    Nothing much to say, just...
    a) "Keep it for your Wizard": mate. Not ALL parties have Wizard, far, far from it.
    b) Overall agree but Stealth is readily missing! You don't always want to rely on Pass Without Trace, and being able to go unnoticed or Hide can be important in many kind of situations (spying around, preparing an ambush, Wild Shaping to go hide in natural environment next round, etc).

4. Backgrounds
    Should be chosen depending solely on how you actually see your background imo, so no comment. ^^

5. Magic Items
    Just one thing: Ring of Spell Storing should be rated HIGHEST. Period. Why?
    a) You have MANY MANY spells that DON'T require concentration and can still be very useful, starting with the obvious Healing Words. But also Thunderwave to push close enemies, Ice Knife for a small boost in mundane damage, Longstrider/Jump, Daylight, Water Tide...
    b) Don't think just about your own interest! You may have pals who are great at melee and have trouble chasing enemies: well, give them the ring and charge it up with Longstrider!
    c) Optimize action economy and concentration economy! Charge up a Sleet Storm, a Conjure Animals, or a Healing Spirit, and give it to your (non-raging Barbarian) martial pal. Congrats: by delegating, you can now "concentrate on two great spells" at the same time. Or simply store a few Healing Words, so you have an extra emergency healer.
    d) Grab other people's goodies for yourself! You have a Sorcerer/Wizard? Now you can grab Shield without needing a feat. Your Cleric wants to Spirit Guardians everytime, you'd like to conserve some slots? Well, Bless is not the worst to concentrate upon in regular fights.
    You're away to spy? An Invisibility or Fly may help a lot escape if needed.
    Etc etc.
    The Ring is basically the one best item for anyone, except a full martial party possibly (and yet: you could still hire NPCs to charge up).

Spells
    - Warding Wind: "only useful if you get attacked at range". Well, shouldn't that be your usual threat? The big problem of this one is the fact it's concentration, and you have so many better spells to use it upon. If you're going for non-conjured animal armies, and otherwise use cantrips and Healign Words to support party, it *can* be worth. If you're going for a frontliner with Mobile and weapon cantrips, it is worth.
    - Wind Wall: "better make a wall of flurry": absolutely NOT. First, army of flurry would provide a half-cover at best, and it would require huge micro management to really make them act as an efficient arrow barrier (in addition to possibly hindering your own pals's movement). Second, Wind Wall make all ranged weapon attacks auto-miss. It's hugely better. So yeah, it's kinda a situational spell, but largely worth keeping it prepped unless you're pretty sure ranged enemies are non-existent in encounters to come. I do love Sleet Storm as an alternative, but Sleet Storm people can cross and get out of. Wind Wall, set up close to your frontline, make ranged useless for the whole encounter so they have no other choice than just watch or come crossing the wall into the frontline.

- Spike Growth: should be ranked one tier more at least, unless you're really the only one in party with push/pull abilities.

- Water Breathing: allows underwater short and long rests. Just think this should be stressed. :)

- Water Walking: situational, but invaluable in those situations: nullifying a body of water that acted as a blockade (like high forts), cutting travel by miles walking on top of a river instead of looking for a bridge, attacking ships while leaving your own in a safe area...
    Worth keeping in mind when you select your spells for the day.

- Elemental Bane: should be at least black. Yeah, it's situational, but immunities are rare until very high level, whereas resistances start getting common when you get the spell. Moreover unless you're in a pure martial party, you should find at least one element for which everyone has something to use. Also, you remember the point about Ring of Spell Storing? Provided enemy is not immune to fire, pair that with a Conjure Minor Elementals and Steam/Magma Mephits, have them order to "have one suicide every time an ally attacks it" to break the "group turn" into "individual turns" (depends on DM). If that isn't allowed, a simple Conjure Fire Elemental should work. Or maybe a Wall of Fire if there are several push/pull.

- Healing Spirit: can be equally worth casting IN fight, when you really want to help a few creatures tank a frontline. Also, remember the bit about Ring of Spell Storing? Perfect to have for example a ranged Rogue/Fighter keep your Conjure Animals healthy.

- Wall of Fire: "creatures can just walk through the wall". Yeah, sure. Except they *just take it*, no save. And it's triggered "first time on a turn". So its damage scales greatly with whatever push/pull (preferably push though, since it blocks view) your party has a whole may have.
    Remember the bit about Ring of Spell Storing? Conjure a bunch of pushing animals, or maybe fire-immune creatures that could push or try and grapple in place.
    Beyond that particular and wildly YMMV use-case, since it blocks view, it also force casters to come and cross it (putting themselves close to you) since many spells require sight and ranged attackers to do the same or aim blindly. Big win in both cases.

- Storm of vengeance: should be rated one rank higher at least. Of course it takes time, hopefully it takes time! It affects a MILE LONG RADIUS.
    You can completely disable whole armies, or set to ruin a whole region. It's not the spell you prepare for a fight. It's one of those Druid spells that give them incredible worldwide political power.
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2019-11-17 at 12:05 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Shepherd Druid Guide to Fuzzy Fury

Thanks! That would be an awesome addition. If you can put it in a google doc or google sheets and link it, i'll add it to the guide and credit you at the bottom :). It also very much bothers me when people say druids slow down combat.
    Well, it's true though...

Since they use Plant Growth to slow down enemies trying to reach melee range. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    This guide does not answer the one burning question that I have when playing most Druids:

How do I use my action & bonus action when I'm concentrating on summons? At level 9, I can use my action to... maybe hit for 2d6 damage within 30ft, optionally pulling a guy out of cover while doing so? Hitting for 2d8 often-resisted damage at 30ft isn't much better. And by now, Erupting Earth hasn't picked up on damage yet.

Plant Growth, Transmute Rock, and Bones of the Earth are absolutely great, yes, but they're situational, and if you pre-bake the battlefield with them, then you come back to the original problem. Best I've got so far is "turn into a horse for more party mobility", but if you've already got a horse... then what?
    My first answer would be, probably...
    "In what is that a problem?"

I mean, let's face it: from your initial conjuration turn to the time when only 20% or less of the original "strike force conjuration" is still up and battling, you probably dished as much damage as what would two or three martials properly built would do. It may feel frustrating because you don't do directly damage, but that doesn't change the fact.
    Same with a Plant Growth / Sleet Storm: it's even more subtle because it's more of a defensive move, but properly set up it shifts power balance tremendously.

So you should never be ashamed of "just" using Thorns Whip on regular turns.

With that said, I understand the will to bring hurt directly from your hands. So on that ground...

IF MULTICLASS IS ON THE TABLE.
    Pick Ranger 5, very simply. Gloomstalker being by far the best pick for such a dual-class, although Beastmaster fits more thematically. You'll get added proficiencies and Extra Attack plus a few interesting spells, extra WIS on Initiative, Rope Trick (-> easy short rest).
    OR pick Monk 5, equally simply, with Kensei being by far the best archetype if you stay in classic Shepherd tropes: you get magical longbow attacks, reaction against ranged attacks, decent unarmored, and Dodge/Dash as a bonus action. What's not to like?

Sorcerer and Warlock 3 to 5 should be quoted too: first for Metamagics (Extend being invaluable to make the most of your conjurations when in long runs, plus access to some great defensive spells like Mirror Image, Shield, as well as Careful metamagic to make some Druid spells easier to land), second for short-rest refreshing slots (welcome, "perma" Conjure Animals for travel) and interesting defensive spells (Hexblade for Shield obviously, Armor of Agathys) or features (Great Old One to silently command your beasts without revealing your position).

IF DIP IS ON THE TABLE
    Arcane Cleric 1, Grave Cleric 1 or Tempest Cleric 2 (with Booming Blade from whatever way) are nice ways to expand your capabilities: Sacred Flame upgrades your damage (and range!) when you don't need pull, Spare the Dying as Grave makes it easier to keep allies up, Booming Blade for melee or Ray of Frost for distance are always helpful.
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2019-11-17 at 02:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Thank you for the in-depth comment!
    Through responding to this I notice a pattern in a lot of your responses. You seem to present a lot of situations where spells/items/feats/races CAN be chosen used to great affect and while I may agree for those situations, they are exactly that: Situational. I am more interested in the things that will work well a majority of the time rather than the thing that will work amazingly 10% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by HiveStriker View Post
    Lucky is just three attack rolls or ability checks you can reverse. Alert is a half-guarantee you can be the first to act in fight and immediately put enemy army in disarray. This one should be first or second grade, not near-last. Lucky should be "medium" at most, it's really not that impressive compared to every other great feat a Druid can grab.
    I agree with the fast that Alert should be higher and have changed that. Lucky, however, is better than you give it credit for because you left out that it can be used on saving throws. Enemy controllers can be a huge issue for a Shepherd Druid and being able to reroll a failed save is a game changer.

I don't get Mobile either: mobility is one can make you simply avoid melee attacks (out of range) or ranged attacks/magic effects (back behind cover) in the first place. And you can at least try to attack if you need to Disengage.
    Feats are a precious resource and should not be taken lightly. Good positioning and summoned creature management can replace an extra 10 feet of movement and save you a feat. If the enemy is ranged, you shouldn’t be in line of sight anyway after casting your Conjures and if the enemy is in melee distance, get your summons between you and the enemy. The melee attack disengage can be nice, but again there are better feats to choose from. I’ll move it to orange though.

ELVES should be put one rank higher: free cantrip (High) means having a good weapon attack when close range is here, while free short-rest Misty Step (Eladrin) can save your hide more often than not. And it also opens up access to neat racial feats and provide you a great regular attack for the first levels (ranged weapons proficiencies) where you are the most exposed.
    I added Eladrin and Moved Wood Elves higher just because of the first few levels. I disagree with High Elves though because while Fey Step is excellent at any level, I don’t think a free Wizard cantrip adds enough to warrant a spot. I don’t disagree that it can’t be useful, but I don’t think it’s optimal.
    Magic Initiate: agreed on the specific Find Familiar case. It's not all there is though, not at all. If you went for a bulky race that goes to town with his wolf pack, Booming Blade can actually be a good pick. Otherwise, with Druid having such little choice in cantrips compared to everyone else, expanding your utility with some elemental classics (Shape Water, Mold Earth, Create Bonfire) or Wizardry (Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion) can be largely worth, as well as grabbing some WIS-based cantrips from Cleric or even from your own Druid. And you could also learn spells either for that one big emergency (aka Shield), or as a way to simply get a utility you can use often enough for the cases arising (Comprehend Languages, Catapult, Command, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Grease, Hex for a few examples).
    Should really be rated at least black, because it can allow you to tailor your character concept in so many ways.
    Melee Shepherd Druid is never a good idea. Your suggestions are all situational, so I do agree it should be bumped up to orange for situational. I can’t justify any higher because not every Shepherd is going to be able to benefit from it like some other picks.

Observant: should be rated at least one rank higher
    Agreed. Changed it.

Warcaster: …
    So it's really essentially the advantage on concentration checks that Warcaster brings, and while that is good, if you already picked Resilient (which brings less at low level but is the best of both in the long run) you can do without.
    I agree that the majority of use of Warcaster comes from the advantage of concentration, but I still say it is essential because comparing it Resilient, advantage on concentration checks is MUCH better than applying proficiency. I advise picking both because maintaining concentration is essential for a Shepherd, but statistically, Warcaster is better for that than Res [Con].

I don't see why Firbolg is just black. +1 STR is not great, but it can be used. Starting with 17 WIS for upcoming Observant feat or +1/+1 ASI is very handy. And every other thing is either a great utility for anyone (free Disguise Self recharging on short rest means basically you can spend all day Disguised, free Invisible every short rest means possibly avoiding a nasty blow to your important concentration spell) or complete synergy with Shepherd (ability to talk to ALL plants, including those who don't have Sylvan, AND advantage on all Charisma checks towards beasts and plants!!).
    I missed the part of advantage on Charisma checks with beasts and plants so I moved it up, but I do think that Strength is wasted and post level 5, your damage will be coming from your summons so high Wisdom doesn’t matter as much as it does on other Druids. Post level 5 Con is more important in combat. The utility is great though.

Human variant is far from being overpowered imo, in general, but even more here: Druid is not a class craving for ASI unless you have a specific mix of feats in mind.
    It's sometimes much better to start with a 17 that you'll top off later with a "half-feat".
    In combat, a Shepherd Druid’s strength comes largely from its summons which aren’t affected by the Druid’s stats beyond its ability to maintain concentration so I’d argue that feats are more important than stats in this case.

Or do we? As you say yourself, Shepherd is all about herding, hiring and manipulating beasts. It's its schtick. Secondary schtick being a great support.
    So, wouldn't having a good CHA make for a great Herder? Especially if you pair that with
    Inspiring Leader and/or Prodigy. First makes another great cushion of THP to use before Druid's Aura (useful especially if you feel Unicorn should be used instead of Bear for current situation). And, if you really lean into the "beast/plant army", can really make a difference in your allies's survivability during a scout or harass mission. Second can make you extra good at spying, scouting, sneaking, convincing, whatever you'd like.
    That’s a good character concept. That’s what it is though; a concept. You can make a Shepherd Druid a million different ways but since Charisma doesn’t benefit it in any mechanical way, you are starting to get into the realm of RP, which this guide is not about.

Aarakocra should be rated at least one rank less.
    Agreed.

Overall agree but Stealth is readily missing!
    Druids don’t get to choose Stealth as a skill proficiency.

Just one thing: Ring of Spell Storing should be rated HIGHEST. Period. Why?
    I put it a but higher but the biggest thing you didn’t mention is that this requires attunement to use, so it can’t be thrown around willy nilly around your party like you suggest. I do concede that it can be useful for allies to store defensive spells for you, but past that it entirely depends on campaign, party composition, situation, etc… It does have a lot of potential but it’s not going to be able to be the best in every situation like some of the other items are. Also, the equipment section is equipment for you, not necessarily for your team. That falls under one of those things where yes it CAN be useful in certain situations, but if I were here talking about every good combination you can have with certain items with certain party members, I’d be here forever.

Warding Wind: … If you're going for non-conjured animal armies, and otherwise use cantrips and Healign Words to support party, it *can* be worth. If you're going for a frontliner with Mobile and weapon cantrips, it is worth.
    That is far too situational to be rated out of situational.

Wind Wall: "better make a wall of flurry": absolutely NOT. First, army of flurry would provide a half-cover at best, and it would require huge micro management to really make them act as an efficient arrow barrier (in addition to possibly hindering your own pals's movement). Second, Wind Wall make all ranged weapon attacks auto-miss. It's hugely better. So yeah, it's kinda a situational spell, but largely worth keeping it prepped unless you're pretty sure ranged enemies are non-existent in encounters to come. I do love Sleet Storm as an alternative, but Sleet Storm people can cross and get out of.
    My point is that your concentration is almost always better spent on summons; I don’t mean a literal wall of summoned creatures. “So yeah, it's kinda a situational spell”. Exactly. That’s why I put it as orange. Orange doesn’t mean “Don’t pick it”, it means “Situational”.

Spike Growth: should be ranked one tier more at least, unless you're really the only one in party with push/pull abilities.
    Agreed.

Water Breathing: allows underwater short and long rests. Just think this should be stressed. :)
    Didn’t think of that. Added.

Elemental Bane: should be at least black. Yeah, it's situational, but immunities are rare until very high level, whereas resistances start getting common when you get the spell.
    It being very situational AND requiring concentration means I can’t justify putting it higher than orange.

Healing Spirit: can be equally worth casting IN fight, when you really want to help a few creatures tank a frontline. Also, remember the bit about Ring of Spell Storing? Perfect to have for example a ranged Rogue/Fighter keep your Conjure Animals healthy.
    Its efficiency is much less during a so unless you have plenty of spell slots left, it would be a waste as in combat, you can’t get nearly the healing that you can out of combat. Also regarding spell storing

Wall of Fire: "creatures can just walk through the wall". Yeah, sure. Except they *just take it*, no save. And it's triggered "first time on a turn". So its damage scales greatly with whatever push/pull (preferably push though, since it blocks view) your party has a whole may have.
    Beyond that particular and wildly YMMV use-case, since it blocks view, it also force casters to come and cross it (putting themselves close to you) since many spells require sight and ranged attackers to do the same or aim blindly. Big win in both cases.
    Again, this is situational, lending it to being in the “Situational orange” category.

Storm of vengeance: should be rated one rank higher at least. Of course it takes time, hopefully it takes time! It affects a MILE LONG RADIUS.
    I changed it to green and stressed that it’s not supposed to be used as an in-combat spell.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

About Warcaster / Resilient: sorry, but if there is only one to pick, Resilient is DEFINITELY THE BEST by FAR.

First: "auto-save": Warcaster gives advantage, so give better odds of succeeding, but does nothing for your minimum to roll.
    With concentration save being minimum 10, and being otherwise "half damage rounded up", for most of your life until at least level 14/15, except when you get crit or suffer a spell, you will rarely have more than 12 or 13 DC to top.
    Now compare two Druids of level 7.
    First picked Warcaster, topped off WIS and went with 14 DEX and CON.
    For a DC 10, bonus to roll is 2. Minimum to roll is 8. Chance with Warcaster: 87%. Nice indeed.

Second picked Resilient, which he made a starting 15: he now has 16.
    For a DC 10, bonus to roll is 3+3 = 6. Minimum to roll is 4. Chance without Warcaster: 85%.
    See how it makes no practical difference?

It gets worse at higher level. Let's say you don't care about maxing WIS (which is fair), so in both cases you bumped CON by 2.
    Lets fast track to level 18.
    Druid 1 now has a +3 to save. Chance with Warcaster: 91%. Still means that suffering lots of small attacks could make you drop concentration early.
    Druid 2 now has a +4+6 to save: Chance without Warcaster: 100%. Yeah, that's right: you auto-save any regular concentration save, up to 22 damage.

Except that Resilient Constitution also brought you an extra HP every level.
    More importantly, it doesn't work ONLY for concentration saves! It works ALSO against EVERY NASTY CON-targeting effect that can cripple your HP, petrify you, or otherwise incapacitate you! Ghouls or Medusas and the like can be prevalent in some campaigns, and at least not improbably to cross.

Furthermore, back on concentration...
    Even when you start getting hit for 30 damage regularly, even saying that both Druid have same 16 CON.
    First would need to roll at least a 12, which is 70% chance with Warcaster (45% without).
    Second would need to roll at least a 6, which is a 75% chance.

Let's check with a powerful crit? 50 damage, meaning 25 DC.
    First one? Out, concentration broken, period.
    Second? Needs a 19 or 20, so streak of luck, but at least he has a chance.

Let's check with a more reasonable example of high level: being hit for 35 damage.
    DC 17.
    First needs a 14, chance? 57%.
    Second needs a 8, chance? 65%.

So, as I said, Warcaster is only better at low level, and only in concentration, and only because while stastistically it's overall the same, it does gives you (the illusion of?) a "better chance" through ability of rolling two dices and choosing best, which feels satisfying. CON is much better all around mechanically from start to finish.

About CHA: sorry it benefits mechanically. It's not RP at all, it's about a) bumping slightly the chance to convince beasts and plants of doing your bidding and b) opening up way of a feat that can be especially useful if one plays a Druid *exactly as you hint he should*, meaning building an army of real beasts on top/ instead of using conjurations.

About Stealth: true, but it's easy enough to get with a background. Important for any Druid unless sneaking is really not your thing.

About Healing Spirit: yeah, no. You didn't get my point. There are situations where Conjured Animals will be simply mediocre, because powerful enemy has too much AC / HP / or other feature that means it's a PC (or a few) that need(s) to hold the line (and I really mean hold, as in staying immobile as much as possible). In those situations, there is nothing best than Healing Spirit: it doesn't require you to be close, it doesn't even usually require you to be in the right order or Initiative to do something (unless you need to move the beam), it just guarantees your Paladin/Fighter/Monk/Rogue pal always gets his full turn to act.

About Ring of Spell Storing: I was'nt saying "change owner every day", not at all. I was simply saying that whatever kind of Shepherd you play, whatever party you're in, that item is the one you can maximize every day (i just didn't want to annoy everyone by making a list spell by spell Xd). So it should be in the top three. :)

About STR: We don't care about STR for damage. We care about STR for things that may quickly mean your end as Druid such as effects restraining/proning/pushing you, which are either STR checks (hence why you should be proficient into Acrobatics at least) and saves (against which you can just cry). Having a positive is probably not worth it because other stats have priorities, but you can at least avoid a negative. Let's remind that as a non-Moon Druid you'll never access really beefy forms.

Orange doesn’t mean “Don’t pick it”, it means “Situational”.
    Arf, I didn't get that. It explains much about my perceived difference of opinion. Sorry about that. ^^
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2019-11-17 at 09:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

About Warcaster / Resilient: sorry, but if there is only one to pick, Resilient is DEFINITELY THE BEST by FAR.
    I refer to the statistics from this link: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...the-chances-of

The author states "tl;dr: Advantage roughly equals a bonus of +5.
    Hence, until you're level 13 and your proficiency bonus increases to +5, War Caster will be more useful. If the ability score increase also raises your CON modifier, you reach the tipping point 4 levels earlier, at level 9."

Practical application, the majority of games happen before level 13 (Unless you have uneven Con) where Warcaster is statistically better. Therefore, I rate Warcaster as higher as it is better in the majority of games. But as Con is a Shepherd Druid's most important stat, I suggest getting both War Caster and Res [Con]. Preferably Warcaster at 4 and res con at 8. There is no need to rush res con because warcaster is better at early levels and the con increase from res con is retroactive.

About Stealth: true, but it's easy enough to get with a background. Important for any Druid unless sneaking is really not your thing.
    I only listed skills that the druid can be natively proficient with, for simplicity. I added stealth at the bottom then.

About CHA

About STR
    From levels 1 to 20 you only get 5 ASI's. Feats are important to a Shepherd Druid so even if they don't take both War Caster and Res [Con], most Shepherds will take 2 feats. Most never see third tier play for the level 19 ASI which means most people will get 2 ASI's worth of ability scores. Con is so important that it is #1 and Wis is #2 obviously, so there is absolutely no room for stat distribution post character creation.
    For character creation, assuming you are doing point buy with a race that (ideally) gives you +2 in Wis or Con and +1 in the other, you can spend 23/27 points to get +3 in both Wis and Con and +2 in Dex (Which I would suggest as necessary). Charisma helps with social interactions, so it's better than Str or Int so that would be at least 10 for +0. That leaves either getting Cha to +1 or Str or Int to 10. When I say something like Charisma doesn’t benefit it in any mechanical way or that Strength isn’t good, it is through the lens of what one person can accomplish with their character. Yes there are a lot of things you COULD do with Charisma or ways that Strength COULD be useful to you, but to a Shepherd Druid, Wisdom is their spellcasting ability, Constitution is for HP and maintaining concentration and Dexterity is for AC and initiative (Mostly). Therefore compared to those stats, Cha Str and Int are dump stats. It’s not that they cant be useful, they just straight up aren’t the priority.

About Healing Spirit: yeah, no. You didn't get my point. There are situations where Conjured Animals will be simply mediocre, because powerful enemy has too much AC / HP / or other feature that means it's a PC (or a few) that need(s) to hold the line (and I really mean hold, as in staying immobile as much as possible). In those situations, there is nothing best than Healing Spirit: it doesn't require you to be close, it doesn't even usually require you to be in the right order or Initiative to do something (unless you need to move the beam), it just guarantees your Paladin/Fighter/Monk/Rogue pal always gets his full turn to act.
    I'm still not convinced. Upcasting to 3rd level provides 2d6 hp to anyone in the area per turn. Considering your stipulation of a PC holding the line (I read that as staying in the same spot) and with Healing Spirit's area only being a 5ft cube (Only enough for one person), that's only 2d6 hp per turn. Compare that to the possibilities out of combat with the Healing Spirit conga-line, you could heal for a total of 20d6 over the spells duration for the whole party.
    Now about in-combat utility compared to Conjure Animals. Very true that higher AC/HP enemies won't be affected much by enemies but they are meat shields. No matter what you conjure, those 8 CR 1/4 creatures essentially mean 8 hits your PCs aren't taking (Not including AoE). For enemies that strong, one hit is most likely a hell of a lot more than the 2d6 hp per turn healing of the healing spirit. That basically means the effectiveness of Conjure Animals is to healing spirit in combat is equal to the amount of damage the summons can mitigate by being targets against the enemy over the PCs versus the 2d6 per turn on one PC. AND that isn't even taking into account the fact that the Conjures still do attack and even with a terrible + to hit and high enemy AC, they will provide at least something more than just being meat shields.

About Ring of Spell Storing: I was'nt saying "change owner every day", not at all. I was simply saying that whatever kind of Shepherd you play, whatever party you're in, that item is the one you can maximize every day (i just didn't want to annoy everyone by making a list spell by spell Xd). So it should be in the top three. :)
    Fair Enough >.<
    Last edited by Nhym; 2019-11-17 at 11:24 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

I refer to the statistics from this link: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...the-chances-of

The author states "tl;dr: Advantage roughly equals a bonus of +5.
    Hence, until you're level 13 and your proficiency bonus increases to +5, War Caster will be more useful. If the ability score increase also raises your CON modifier, you reach the tipping point 4 levels earlier, at level 9."

Practical application, the majority of games happen before level 13 (Unless you have uneven Con) where Warcaster is statistically better. Therefore, I rate Warcaster as higher as it is better in the majority of games. But as Con is a Shepherd Druid's most important stat, I suggest getting both War Caster and Res [Con]. Preferably Warcaster at 4 and res con at 8. There is no need to rush res con because warcaster is better at early levels and the con increase from res con is retroactive.
    I just proved to you, maths in point, that Warcaster is NOT better statistically, or I should say, not better enough to be worth considering it gives no other real benefit for a Druid (since your own view is that Druid should never be in melee -> exit cast on OA, and you don't need weapon since you have cantrips, including melee ones -> exit the "don't fret about free hand for somatics" benefit).
    Advantage can equate a +5, but it does depend also on the DC to reach and your innate bonus.

Until level >8-9, the occurence of you actually having to save against anything other than a DC 10 should represent something like 5%, at most 10% if you're unlucky, of all rolls of your all life.

If you pick it at level 4, you're one level away of proficiency upgrade, right when you get the precious Conjure Animals. And you can even CON score, so it's an immediate +1.
    At level 5, you already have a +4 bonus to the save compared to the Warcaster (+1 from evening CON, +3 from prof).
    So the comparison I made in post above is already valable at level 5:
    Warcaster guy: needs minimum of 8 on roll, chance 87%
    Resilient guy: needs minimum of 4 on roll, chance 85%

FYI, this is the source I use which I know is accurate.

--> Since you're so adamant on having a good concentration, starting with 15 CON (or maybe even 17) should be one of your top strategies, possibly even more than having high WIS if you really rely solely on your summons (and Hill Dwarf should be top pick then with +2 CON and +1 WIS IIRC ;)).
    Last edited by HiveStriker; 2019-11-18 at 07:04 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Advantage can equate a +5, but it does depend also on the DC to reach and your innate bonus.

Until level >8-9, the occurence of you actually having to save against anything other than a DC 10 should represent something like 5%, at most 10% if you're unlucky, of all rolls of your all life.

If you pick it at level 4, you're one level away of proficiency upgrade, right when you get the precious Conjure Animals. And you can even CON score, so it's an immediate +1.
    At level 5, you already have a +4 bonus to the save compared to the Warcaster (+1 from evening CON, +3 from prof).
    You just said it yourself: At level 5 Warcaster equated to an effective +5 on the majority of concentration checks while Res [Con] is a +4 Bonus. That right there is ALL I am saying, that +5 is higher than +4. And as my source indicates, "If the ability score increase also raises your CON modifier, you reach the tipping point 4 levels earlier, at level 9." Which is one level past your second ASI at level 8 where I would have Res [Con] grabbed.

So put simply, when raising an uneven Con modifier, Res [Con] offers an effective +4 to concentration checks until level 9 when it hits an effective +5. Warcaster offers an effective +5 always. Therefore when solely concerning concentration checks, Warcaster is better at lower levels.

Remember, I don't suggest against taking Res [Con], far from it, and in the guide they are exactly the same color. I am simply advocating for taking Warcaster at earlier levels.

Since you're so adamant on having a good concentration, starting with 15 CON (or maybe even 17) should be one of your top strategies, possibly even more than having high WIS if you really rely solely on your summons (and Hill Dwarf should be top pick then with +2 CON and +1 WIS IIRC ;)).
    Yes, and Hill Dwarf IS a top pick.
    Last edited by Nhym; 2019-11-18 at 08:58 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

DruidGuy

So put simply, when raising an uneven Con modifier, Res [Con] offers an effective +4 to concentration checks until level 9 when it hits an effective +5. Warcaster offers an effective +5 always. Therefore when solely concerning concentration checks, Warcaster is better at lower levels.

Remember, I don't suggest against taking Res [Con], far from it, and in the guide they are exactly the same color. I am simply advocating for taking Warcaster at earlier levels.

Warcaster is only an effective +5 in average situations, while Res:Con is always at least +2 and normally +3 or more.

Warcaster is only better in situations where you expect to cast spells with your reaction frequently. Otherwise, the bonus to all Con saves, not just those for concentration checks, is significantly more useful for maintaining concentration. You are less likely to take extra poison damage, can halve damage from many cold and necrotic attacks, avoid stunning and paralysis (which inflict incapacitated, automatically breaking concentration).

The feats are very close in value, but only if you are getting full value from Warcaster via opportunity attack castings. Otherwise, the always-on benefits of Resilient—more HP, better saves for all Con saves—are significantly more valuable.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zuras View Post
    The feats are very close in value, but only if you are getting full value from Warcaster via opportunity attack castings. Otherwise, the always-on benefits of Resilient—more HP, better saves for all Con saves—are significantly more valuable.
    In the interest of popular opinion I suppose I have to concede on this point.
    Last edited by Nhym; 2019-11-18 at 04:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Just for accuracy, Firbolg's invis is once per short rest, not long (all their spells/abilities are, except talk to animals and double carry capacity, which is always on).
    Last edited by sambojin; 2020-08-27 at 12:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Do the Fireball vs. Conjure Animals damage calculations factor in the possibility that the attacks from your wolves can miss?

Also, in your animal ratings, you use ">=" instead of "<=" in quite a few places.

You also might want to mention that the scorpion from Giant Insect doesn't count as a summoned creature, since it's just an enlarged normal scorpion instead of something you actually summon(ed).
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2020-08-27 at 03:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The version of Eladrin that made it into the official game ups CHA, not INT.

EDOT: I don’t consider the DMG’s “for example” stuff official. But yeah, you may want to mention that those are DMG Eladrin you’re talking about.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-08-27 at 03:47 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Forgot to mention, great guide! Covers just about everything, at least as a decent primer for the class.
    I'd also chuck in "just save the webpage for a beast's/ fey's/ elemental's stats to your phone" as a zero-effort-for-the-DM thing. Most apps aren't nearly as comprehensive as this guide is on your summoning options, but the internet is remarkably good at stuff like this. Load webpage, hand phone to DM, problem solved. Never have to write up a stat-block again :)

(on the fireball vs conjure animals question above, it's not so much that it's instant damage, it's that you're getting nearly fireball levels of damage, with condition inducing effects, each turn. Combat lasts for 2-3 turns? Yes, CA is a pretty good bet, even if you don't/can't use it optimally. It tends to last at least two turns, at some level of continuing CC+damage.
    "But a Wizard could cast two fireballs in two turns!" I theoretically hear you say. Meh, chuck out a tidal wave next turn, and you'll feel fine as a druid. It's an "area up-to these dimensions" spell, and when you've already got 8d6+ potential magic damage off summons hanging around, another area modifiable/ proner/ light magical bludgeoning damage instant spell with a good DC just seals the deal, for your summons and your party.
    "Oh, you made the strength/AC save to not be advantaged against? Have a Dex save too :)" )

((+1 to Warhorses being good if there's enough area for them. They are brutal, and can hit hard enough for it to matter. Just. And less people freak out, because you can always say "I'm nature's noble/ whatever/ not a wolf, velociraptor, squid or a spider" as justification around "normal" people. +6to-hit is like lvl4+ and a +3bonus to your attack or casting stat. DC14 is like having a... Oh, yeah, I just said that. +6to-hit with advantage for a trample bonus action attack, is like having an extra +9'ish to-hit attack, for 2d6+4. It's pretty good. It's really not just transport. Any time that comes up, where you could all ride ponies away from it, you as a druid could also trample the ever-living-f* out of that problem with Warhorses. It's just a thing that you could do :)

Also +1 for Jaculi, because depending on how you read their spring ability, they are really easy to run in-game. And 4x +4 w/ maybe advantage attacks, for 2d6+2 +maybe 2d6 damage, isn't exactly horrible off a lvl3 Conjure Animals cast. With 30' move, 30' extra for their action spring-attack, and only 10' move towards needed to trigger their +2d6 damage and advantage from it. So +4to-hit w/advantage, 4d6+2 damage, often. Can probably ignore difficult terrain, or a certain amount of verticality, for instance, with spring attack actions. Perception advantage, hide advantage, and 10' blindsight too. They're "quite good" for CR1/2 beasts, and get +6HP from a shepherd's lvl6 aura (3d10HD) too. Can potentially jump-strike low-flying airborne targets, and take the splat damage, and keep going. 16 average damage (all in one dice roll, 4d6+2) if they hit with a spring is getting useful on splatting small stuff. And they're faster to run than wolves or velociraptors, but they're large. Which is good and bad, but they're snakey, so can probably not be 2x2 grid spaces for moves.
    Note: Jaculi punting themselves into melee range doesn't end their movement, they can still make large-snake-wall just after that for your party with leftover movement, or gaps for real tanks and dps'ers. There is no better use for a summon than to do damage, and take an AoO/reaction. "Spring" is just an action, that attacks, for funsies anything within 30', on top of 30' move/ 20' climb speed, and gives advantage and more damage if you sprung 10' or more. Laughing. It reads like 4x +7'ishto-hit, 4d6+2 damage, when optimized.

The Dreaded Command. "Wait, then Spring Attack any enemy that comes within 30' of you". And then they're a turret. Because lols.
    Yep. 30' range, wait action, given verbally 4x, on trigger of... RAW, bleh. You could even add "then move back to your position" if it was a RP/Grid-type as combat/war things. It's usually not.
    Yes, it's 4x crappy low-ranged Eldritch "snake" Blasts at lvl5 for the spell slot. Plus, they also have a large-sized Jaculi beside them now too, even if it doesn't hit. So it kinda works way better, every time. Kinda. Anyway, they're way too good to leave off the CR1/2 "good things you can summon" list. Like warhorses, but warhorses can't jump 30' into the air, and they don't have 14AC naturally. Or stealth. Or smell. Or blindsight.
    So, yeah. They're really crazy warhorses. They don't hit as hard, but they do hit))
    Last edited by sambojin; 2020-08-27 at 09:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sambojin View Post
    Just for accuracy, Firbolg's invis is once per short rest, not long (all their spells/abilities are, except talk to animals and double carry capacity, which is always on).
    Good catch, fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Do the Fireball vs. Conjure Animals damage calculations factor in the possibility that the attacks from your wolves can miss?
    "If they all hit their target that’s 56 freaking pierce damage turn one."
    and
    "Yes I know there are other differences which make each of their uses more unique like Fireball can hit more enemies that are grouped, Conjure Animals requires more rolls to hit, Fireball can toast allies, Conjure Animals give much better options for damage type, etc… but regardless of all that, them dice."

The point I was making was about potential damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Also, in your animal ratings, you use ">=" instead of "<=" in quite a few places.

You also might want to mention that the scorpion from Giant Insect doesn't count as a summoned creature, since it's just an enlarged normal scorpion instead of something you actually summon(ed).
    Thanks for the catch! Fixed.

I'd also chuck in "just save the webpage for a beast's/ fey's/ elemental's stats to your phone" as a zero-effort-for-the-DM thing. Most apps aren't nearly as comprehensive as this guide is on your summoning options, but the internet is remarkably good at stuff like this. Load webpage, hand phone to DM, problem solved. Never have to write up a stat-block again :)
    Thanks! But I am very wary about categorizing it as a replacement to a stat block for the reason that I don't want to have to worry about disclaimers and looking like I ripped off WOTC. Also, the stat page is meant as a reference rather than a replacement since it doesn't include a lot of information, particularly with creature actions, that is included in the stat block. It's intended use is for something like "oh the situation I'm in now requires something with blightsight and flying, let me sort by those categories to find the perfect summon"

Also +1 for Jaculi
    I haven't added anything ToA yet other than in "additional resources", but I'm work on adding that stuff.