New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3...confirmed!

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Actually getting the Bhaalspawn involved in any real measure means they'd have to account for every class, race and possibly other choices as well. I don't think it's likely.
    Or you write it so those things don't matter as much. The 100 year advancement I've seen bandied about removes a lot of characters from immediate consideration... all humans, half-orcs, and halflings are likely dead, unless they have significant magic to preserve them. And that doesn't include the ones who died as part of the plot (Faldorn and Yoshimo, for example).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    KOTOR 2 did it right 15 years ago with a smaller budget. Just have a few questions at the start about your Bhaalspawn and change a couple scenes or dialogues based on your answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Or you write it so those things don't matter as much. The 100 year advancement I've seen bandied about removes a lot of characters from immediate consideration... all humans, half-orcs, and halflings are likely dead, unless they have significant magic to preserve them. And that doesn't include the ones who died as part of the plot (Faldorn and Yoshimo, for example).
    That's what I meant by "any real measure", yes. Just name-dropping them somewhere isn't going to be a problem, but Calemyr's post implied a higher degree of involvement.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I didn't mean Abdel, the Scion, Charname, or whatever the heck you want to call them. I meant the Bhaalspawn as a "race".

We are done with Gorion's Ward, I am sure. He is now dead, officially. If he rises from Bhaal in Descent into Avernus, it won't be in any form related to the luckless idiot traipsing up and down the Sword Coast bringing peace to the world one bloody death at a time. If Abdel rises, it will be as something Wizards of the Coast owns, not us. And we sure as Nine Hells won't be playing him.

But the Bhaalspawn could return, conceivably. We could have Sarevok return with the awesome voice of Kevin Michael Richardson and sword in hand, his essence reclaimed from the pit by undefined adventurers but his soul saved by his siblings (or not, as the case may be). Or we could have any number of Bhaalspawn, previously known or unknown, who stole back a spark of their father's essence and returned to the world. Again, Descent into Avernus is supposed to be a game-changing event for the Forgotten Realms and a full entry in the Baldur's Gate Saga. That will be the event that really sets the stage for BG3 and decide whether the city or the blood of Bhaal ultimately define the franchise.

I'll eat my words if it ends up being related, but nothing we know so far has given us any indication that it will.
    Well, yes. But, once again, I point to Descent into Avernus, the fourth Baldur's Gate installment and the one before BG3, which has not come out yet. Marvel was not talking about Professor Hulk before Infinity War came out.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2019-06-12 at 11:01 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I didn't ask you to say anything. I didn't even initially respond to you.
    And then I lashed out in a needlessly hostile way. I'm sorry.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #335
    Firbolg in the Playground

Holy crap, this has hit 12 pages, almost entirely on the topic of the controversy revolving around the number "3".

Although it did include some really good sideplots. Like the redemption arc about the Archpaladin.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-06-12 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Holy crap, this has hit 12 pages, almost entirely on the topic of the controversy revolving around the number "3".

Although it did include some really good sideplots. Like the redemption arc about the Archpaladin.
    That's not true. We talked about Illithid sex too

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

So what's next? What other hearsay do we have to needless theorize upon for days?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any question that we would have pretty much all the same complaints even if they had named it something else. Most of the time when you have a few numbered games and then go to a non-number it is either a very different type of game, or a reboot of the games. You would still have people saying "they're just saying Baldur's Gate as a blatant cash grab."
    As far as mining childhood games, everyone is doing it across every medium they can, and of course the developers are just as much fans of the game as any random person online.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    So what's next? What other hearsay do we have to needless theorize upon for days?
    I heard that Minsc has joined a tribe of miniature giant space hamsters, and is now a space pirate captain in Spelljammer. Don't tell me you believed that for a second!
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the Nautiloid shown flying way high up is massively oversized so there's that. Doubt it's worth much discussion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

11. - Top - End - #341

Illithid Sex.

Do you think they use all 3 tentacles?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Illithid Sex.

I am reminded of the Centauri from Babylon 5...
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I am reminded of the Centauri from Babylon 5...
    Vir never went above 2

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Illithid Sex.

Do they enjoy giving head as much as they do slurping head?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Illithid Sex.

This is slander! Baseless slander! No noble Illithid would stoop so low as to debase themselves with what the lesser races call "sex". Every man of education knows that all Illithid begin ou, err, their life as tadpole, spawned from the supreme intellect that is the Elder Brain, and long all of their lives for the time were w, err, they will be deemed worthy to return to the bliss of the collective.

I am sure a brief face-to-face chat would be more than enough to convince to abandon such spurious gossip and embrace your, err, our inferiority as a mammalian humanoid.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

16. - Top - End - #346

I am sure a brief face-to-face chat would be more than enough to convince to abandon such spurious gossip and embrace your, err, our inferiority as a mammalian humanoid.
    Ooohhh... "face-to-face", is that how the Octosluts are calling it these days?

Kinky

17. - Top - End - #347
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zousha View Post
    And then I lashed out in a needlessly hostile way. I'm sorry.
    Well, that was unexpected.

I will say that if you're actually having fun--if it's not actually the joyless, compulsive, "I would be happier if I had never heard of this game" thing it looks like from behind my monitor--then yes, you should absolutely go right on doing it and not worry about justifying it to anyone.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Illithid Sex.

I don't think the average skull can comfortably tolerate that much action.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I didn't mean Abdel, the Scion, Charname, or whatever the heck you want to call them. I meant the Bhaalspawn as a "race".

We are done with Gorion's Ward, I am sure. He is now dead, officially. If he rises from Bhaal in Descent into Avernus, it won't be in any form related to the luckless idiot traipsing up and down the Sword Coast bringing peace to the world one bloody death at a time. If Abdel rises, it will be as something Wizards of the Coast owns, not us. And we sure as Nine Hells won't be playing him.

But the Bhaalspawn could return, conceivably. We could have Sarevok return with the awesome voice of Kevin Michael Richardson and sword in hand, his essence reclaimed from the pit by undefined adventurers but his soul saved by his siblings (or not, as the case may be). Or we could have any number of Bhaalspawn, previously known or unknown, who stole back a spark of their father's essence and returned to the world. Again, Descent into Avernus is supposed to be a game-changing event for the Forgotten Realms and a full entry in the Baldur's Gate Saga. That will be the event that really sets the stage for BG3 and decide whether the city or the blood of Bhaal ultimately define the franchise.
    It seems I misunderstood you, then. Bhaalspawn as a group appearing is much more possible, I agree, though I don't know if I'd expect it. But WotC does seem to have played up Bhaal in their material, so who knows.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't think the average skull can comfortably tolerate that much action.
    I'm just wondering whether the new Ilithid companion will be romanceable by all races, or whether my Miniature Giant Space Hamster Swashbuckler will be out of luck and have to settle for pursuing Boo's great-great-great-great-great-grandkid.

21. - Top - End - #351

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It seems I misunderstood you, then. Bhaalspawn as a group appearing is much more possible, I agree, though I don't know if I'd expect it. But WotC does seem to have played up Bhaal in their material, so who knows.
    Hey. Nothing says you cant play the Last of the Bhaalspawn. The last of those who never won the great prize, and yet somehow survived the purges.

I think that would make an interesting continuation.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Banned

Larian Studios absolutely loves writing games about characters ascending to godhood though. I think it's very unlikely that this game won't have a similar plotline.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I'm just wondering whether the new Ilithid companion will be romanceable by all races, or whether my Miniature Giant Space Hamster Swashbuckler will be out of luck and have to settle for pursuing Boo's great-great-great-great-great-grandkid.
    This is the obligatory, gone-rogue, "I'll betray my race and help you guys" Illithid companion we're talking about, right? Hm, I guess it could be fun if the true end of the romance "path" would be the brain eating and consecutive game over screen.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-06-13 at 09:46 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As someone who finds very little appeal in some (read: most) of the modern video games being released in the RPG genre (and I really don't like any of the other genres, and I LOATHE the mobile games almost entirely), I am quite interested in what Baldur's Gate III has to offer. Whether or not their use of the name is a transparent attempt to garner interest, it certainly succeeded on my end. Having played Divinity II, I can easily say that a Forgotten realms game with a similar flavor to it, that is piggy backing off of the trade mark name, will already exceed my expectations for what is already available on the market. But they are playing a dangerous game because by using that trademark, they are setting my overall expectations high.

I won't dwell on the what-ifs and worrying about what will happen if they fail. I will stubbornly envision a positive experience to come and deal with the disappointment (if any) later. That's life.
    Last edited by Eldonauran; 2019-06-13 at 02:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

This is the obligatory, gone-rogue, "I'll betray my race and help you guys" Illithid companion we're talking about, right? Hm, I guess it could be fun if the true end of the romance "path" would be the brain eating and consecutive game over screen.
    Nah, if we're going for the Drizzt sterotype, it would probably be far too emo and angsty to contemplate a relationship.

Yanno... had an idea. If BG3 does become a big success, it might bring in enough people to warrant a non-horrible D&D movie. If they can get Lucas Arts to do the SFX and CGI, they could probably manage a decent Icewind Dale movie. For those not familiar with the story, it would be a Trope Inversion when the Obviously Elven Ranger turns out to be less 'blonde hair pretty boy that looks like he'd be better suited on a pirate ship' and more 'Thor: The Dark World' drow. With a second Trope Inversion of having a Drow be a not-a-total-jerk. For those familiar with the story, it could be a crowning moment of awesome with the cowl reveal if they built it up right.

I mean, they probably would need a team like the MCU has to do the SFX and CGI done properly, which would probably be out of the budget for anything WotC would be willing to spend on such a risky play, and they'd need to get the right director and writers, so no bets there either. Knowing WotC, they'd probably hire Shama-lama-ding-dong instead of Joss. Which would be a criminal shame. But it would be nice to finally do to D&D what happened with comic book movies (i.e. go from really bad to really good).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

26. - Top - End - #356
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    If they can get Lucas Arts to do the SFX and CGI, they could probably manage a decent Icewind Dale movie.
    Disney presents Icewind Dale! Now with memorable songs like "All We Wanna Do is Eat Your Brains" and a cast of colorful soul-stealing undead horrors sure to give your kids nightmares.

Directed by Tim Burton
    Trolls will be blocked. Petrification works far better than fire and acid.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

A Tim Burton D&D based movie I think would be fantastic.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    A Tim Burton D&D based movie I think would be fantastic.
    I disagree, although I suppose you could go for Guardians of the Galaxy level camp. But Tim Burton's camp just won't fit, I think. I mean, we all remember what happened to the old Tim Burton Batman movies... we don't want that happening again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I mean, we all remember what happened to the old Tim Burton Batman movies...
    ...They became minor cult movies with some of the best comicbook villain portrayals in cinema, great soundtracks and an overall interesting take on a franchise associated with pure camp in the mainstream until the movie franchise was given to completely different directors?

I wouldn't want a D&D movie with Tim Burton at the helm either, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of Bhaalspawn, do twins share a soul fragment of Bhaal, or does each have one?