New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Aldaroth - Kingdom of Gornalad IC

Devon acknowledged Arsnic's answer with a nod, but didn't pry any further.

"Why not." he then replied to Japhet with a shrug. There was still time, and he had nothing to do anyway.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Yes, that would be appreciated... Arsnic agreed sounding somewhat defeated, hopeful that a night with so many turns for the worse perhaps contained one for the better.
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

Tales of Trollskull Alley - IC
    ♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

You leave Arsnic's house behind, making your way over a couple blocks through the midline quality houses of Gorn. Pressed between two other wooden houses, Japheth stops you at a rather plain house.

The streets remain quiet, morning approaching. No light has made itself visible yet.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

4. - Top - End - #184

Chimera

Japheth quietly unlocks the front door, and smoothly glides into his home. Inside is a small square of laminated wooden tile where some shoes and slippers sit, surrounded by a room with a floor material reminiscent of a rug. A door leads to a kitchen with a protected oil lamp burning silently straight ahead, and to the right another door is halfway open, revealing a pantry and spice cabinet. The recently collected sugar lay on a dining table in the corner between each doorway, closest to the chair next to the wall. There are two other chairs spaced around the table. He takes off his shield and boots and sets them by his mother’s house slippers, and softly says, ”Feel free to sit at the table while I show Arsnic something.”
    Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    You may notice that you have absolutely no hunger for blood in this house. While it whispered in your mind on your way here, the moment you step in this place your thoughts are free from the ravenous appetite of vampirism. There is no guarantee how long it will last, though...

Spoiler: Arsnic
    Show
    Japheth motions to Arsnic to follow him, and moves forward through the kitchen and then to the right through another door into a simple, collective bedroom. On a high-quality bed, the one nearest to the closet on the front left side of the room, lay his mother. Another bed, made of straw and having no blanket, lay empty, feet close to the entry; it’s the only one unoccupied. In the last bed, half the size of the other two and with short railings on all sides, sleeps a toddler. The little boy has dark hair that matches Japheth’s, though much lighter skin. His ears are barely pointed, a testament to his distant elvish heritage on his father’s side.
    Japheth looks at his son, and says to Arsnic in a whisper, “Enoch’s nose and chin are mine, but his eyes and skin are his mother’s. This little boy is the keystone of my existence. See how sweet he is?.”
    His eyes turn from his son to Arsnic. They are more intense now, almost harsh, but his voice remains gentle. We will rescue your wife and child together. Do not despair.”
    Japheth emits his paladin aura in full force; it’s hard to think of anything other than a peaceful, starry sky in your mind, even with a roof above your head. In the dim light from the kitchen lantern, you can see Japheth’s mother and his son smile in their sleep.
    ”Even if the worst comes to pass, I will help you bring your family back from hell if I can. Don’t get me wrong, none of us in this little crew know each other well, and it would be presumptuous to assume brotherhood when we have yet to be embraced by death together. It’s just... our kin deserve to live free of our sins.”
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-21 at 11:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

BardGuy

Arsnic’s eyes scan Japheth’s family, and remain stagnant on his child. He appears to stare...through...the child, deep in thought. His mind is noticeably elsewhere.

He’s...beautiful...
    His eyes meet Japheth’s, and he feels a sense of reassurance in the midst of a night of uncertainties.
    You must be proud. Thank you, friend. We are tethered, you and I. Both through ritual, but also on a deeper level. Your words provide me a hint of hope on a night in which ive lost not only my Elvmanity, but also my family. I will fight for you, my friend. And I have no doubt when my enemies attempt to flank my backside, that you will prevent their advances as well.

Arsnic makes a sort of sign with his hand, index and pinky finger extended with middle and ring finger touching his thumb, somewhat resembling an elves face with ears pointed up, and he then places the hand over his heart.

When you need me, I will be there, Japheth.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

6. - Top - End - #186

Chimera

Spoiler: Arsnic
    Show
    He returns the sign with a grin.

When they return to the others, Japheth asks, ”Anyone want me to grab some blackberry cobbler or homecooked leftovers for us to eat before we completely lack the need for them? We have clean water, too. I don’t have any other business to attend to.”

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I think sharing a meal together would be a great way to mark our new journey together m I say we eat out last meal together. I'd happily accept the food and drink.
    Last edited by TheAxeman; 2019-07-23 at 12:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188

BardGuy

That would be nice, though we need to be sure we get our coffins before dawn.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It took a few moments for Devon to pinpoint the cause of the weird feeling - or, more precisely, lack thereof - he had since entering Japhet's house. Of course, though, in hindsight it made sense for someone who already servd Mardaq to have a way to suppress the thirst.

"Sure." he accepted his offer, then turned to Arsnic. "Lord Mardaq said to enjoy our last day, so...not really my expertise, but I'd say the sun's not going to be a problem until the ritual is complete."

Tonight. When they'd die. Knowing that felt kind of surreal.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-07-22 at 12:31 PM.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

10. - Top - End - #190

Chimera

Japheth moves towards the kitchen, and pulls two large bins and a gallon jug out of a cabinet. He brings one of the bins to the dining table and opens it, revealing a neatly folded towel, then fills it with water from the jug and scrubs his hands with the towel, saying, "I hope you don't mind dinner on the colder side. I'd like to avoid waking up the family, and they have keen noses. Wash up with the towel while I get out the food."
    He then goes back into the kitchen and opens the other bin, which contains two lidded bowls surrounded by a thick layer of salt. He pulls the bowls out, and takes off the lids. One has some cooked meat and potatoes, and the other holds what looks to be a vegetable mix with various greens and mashed carrots. He pulls three saucers and a scoop out from another cabinet. After everyone's washed their hands (and paws) he brings the saucers and bowls over.
    "Alright, now that it's all ready, I'm going to use the latrine outside the house. After you've eaten, the last bowl in the kitchen has some dessert. If you don't mind, stack the empty dishes up when you're done and put the ones with food still in them back where I pulled them from."
    He then puts on his boots and straps on his shield before he unlocks the front door and steps outside, closing it behind him to keep away the night chill.
    The moment the door opens, he's scanning the immediate area outside.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    1d20+4
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-23 at 04:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

BardGuy

Arsnic looks about, Perhaps i can contribute... He reaches and grabs a few glasses, and proceeds to pull out a rather old, unassuming Jug.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

The Jug appears clay or old old ceramic (Difficult to tell with its apparent age), dusty, as though he had excavated it from a burial site.

Arsnic swishes the jug around, yielding a noise indicative of a liquid in the jug - which makes little sense considering the chances it would have spilled during their previous scuffle or other activities throughout the night.

He tips the jug into the glasses, pouring each member a glass of wine, including an extra for their host.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-07-23 at 11:57 AM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Japheth
    Show
    As Japheth steps outside, scanning in the direction earlier sensed, a presence seems to leap out to him, though the beast remains quite still. A terrible mix of stag and wolf, it is larger than either, and seems to melt into the shadows. It meets your gaze with intelligent eyes, then calmly stands and begins stalking off into a nearby alleyway.
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193

Chimera

As calm as the creature in front of him, Japheth casts Armor of Agathys as a spell of the second circle and follows it.
    Spoiler: Armor of Agathys
    Show
    Japheth gains 10 temporary HP for 1 hour, and any creature that hits him with a melee attack while at least 1 of these temporary HP remains takes 10 cold damage.
    Last edited by MinotaurWarblad; 2019-07-23 at 04:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    The huge creature walks with a near silent gait, not paying him any further mind beyond the initial eye contact. Each huge stride seems to further the distance between you, heading deeper into town.

How far/How long are you willing to chase?

15. - Top - End - #195

BardGuy

Arsnic places Japheth's glass of wine at the empty spot at the table, assuming he wanted to get some undisturbed fresh air, and begins to eat/drink in an attempt to enjoy his final living night.

He gives some food to Shade, though he doesn't need it Shade enjoyed taking part in some social activities he observed Arsnic participating in at times.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

16. - Top - End - #196

Chimera

Japheth follows it long enough to get a feel for where the creature is going, or for about five minutes if it seems to be meandering in a general direction (rather than a specific area). After that, he stops and see if the creature continues on, and returns to his home.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    A few minutes of following in, you realize that the creature is indeed headed along a definite path, making precise turns through the streets while avoiding large roads. Based on its current route, it's headed nearer to the Diners District, though it remains in q mostly civilian housing area.

You know a few places in this general direction. Aside from the larger Diners District places of interest like the more elite houses and the street spear centers, in this same direction is Isaiah's house and a few of the higher end blacksmiths etc.

Spoiler: Everyone else
    Show
    About ten minutes pass before Japheth returns. Sort of awkward being left in the house with sleeping folk you don't know.
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2019-07-23 at 10:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

Chimera

When he realizes it’s headed near Isaiah’s place, Japheth becomes still and heads back toward his house at the fastest pace he can manage. ”I don’t know if this thing is good or bad... We’ll be there as fast as we can, Isaiah.”
    When he gets in the front door, he tells the others in a hushed voice, “Sorry if I cut this too short, but something’s on its way towards Isaiah’s place. I can describe it on the way, but we should move quick if we’re going to investigate. I’m not sure if it’s a servant of our Lord or not, but we shouldn’t take any chances.”

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

For Devon, eating was more of a necessity than a pleasure; which is not to say he had absolutely no likes or dislikes, of course, but he didn't feel any particular attachment to this possibly being his last meal, and prepared a light portion for himself.

As he ate, rather quickly, he wondered where Japhet went. He couldn't say he approved of trusting people you just met a few hours ago as if they were old friends...it was clear the half-elf placed a lot of value in the bond of blood they now shared, and he couldn't say he was wrong, but it still seemed somewhat naive. And, more importantly, it would be more than simply awkward if the rest of the family woke up with strangers in their house eating their food.

Fortunately, Japhet returned before that could happen, and though he was bearing bad news, Devon felt somewhat relieved; for now, the less uninvolved people he interacted with, even if disguised, the better. Rising from the chair, he acknowledged the request with a nod and headed towards the door.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-07-24 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Typo.

20. - Top - End - #200

BardGuy

Arsnic's initial expression of relief that came with Japheth's return quickly turned to concern as he spoke on the creature heading to Isaiah's. He placed his Jug back into his pack.

Isaiah came for us when we were cornered at the docks, and in the streets, by those...vampiric abominations. He also offered to supplement out disappearance so as to prevent trouble for us...

Arsnic pushes his chair back and stands, meeting Japheth's gaze.

He is our Night-brother now, we should ensure his safety - I agree Japheth.

Arsnic's mind shifted to probabilities, paths to Isaiah's residence, viability. Morning was coming and he wanted to be sure he had a plan to mitigate any missteps that the party may encounter.

We should hurry.
    Last edited by Tallytrev813; 2019-07-24 at 10:08 AM.
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

As Japheth hurries back, in his estimation the beast will definitely arrive to Isaiah's place before they can get there. Even with it's slightly more back alley route, it has quite the head start on the group - you expect to arrive a minute or so behind it if you hurry.

Japheth leads the way out of his house and towards Isaiah's, as he's the only one who knows exactly where it is. Getting closer to the Diners District, the roads are wider and the houses generally farther apart, some with shingles and whitewashing - generally an expense only those with disposable income care for. Isaiah's house, as you pull up to it, is quiet and seemingly undisturbed. Even in this higher income area, it stands out due to the series of metallic pipes that run along the side of the building, up to the roof and disappearing at multiple points into the walls.

At a glance, there's no disturbance.

22. - Top - End - #202

BardGuy

Arsnic creeps up with the party, Is this it? It must be, judging by the looks of things. Though, it's quiet...

He creeps over to the side of the home, trying to peak into a window.

Spoiler: Rolls if needed
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+8)[26]
    Perception: (1d20+3)[22]

Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

23. - Top - End - #203

Chimera

Japheth, being cautious but unfortunately not the most discerning fellow, quite literally does not see Arsnic’s sneaky pathfinding, and walks right up to the door to test if its locked.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Mmm.

Devon examined the house, but there didn't seem to be any convenient window from which to spy inside. Well then.

He checked his surroundings and, if they were clear, he then melted in the darkness of the still approaching dawn to reappear on the roof, where he blended in the shadows and incospicuosly peered down; if someone (or something) tried to approach the others from their back, he'd notice.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Perception (1d20+9)[10]
    Stealth (1d20+10)[16]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Billy will attempt to quietly circle the house and look for the beast that was described or evidence of break into Isaiah's house.
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+7)[14]
    Perception: (1d20+6)[21]
    Last edited by TheAxeman; 2019-07-26 at 02:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Japheth tries the door to find it locked, and Arsnic peek through a slight gap between two shutters into an empty kitchen space, series of pipes still running through the room, but no signs of activity within. He spots a few items of interest. The pipes connect right into the stovetop, and there is no fireplace. One of them leads directly into the sink. One pipe, almost out of view and leading into the hallway beyond where he can see, has what looks like a clock face with only only one hand, currently pointed to the far left.

Devon quickly reaches a higher vantage point and scouts around the house while Billy sweeps the area, both coming up mostly dry in terms of any threats. They do both note that sunrise is nearing, and the earlier rising denizens of the town should begin their days soon. Here, on the debatable edge of the Diners District, that means guard patrols should resume shortly. None at the moment, but both keep their eyes peeled.

There is no sign of the creature seen before, and all remains quiet aside from their attempts at movement.

27. - Top - End - #207

Chimera

After finding the door still locked, Japheth raps his knuckles on the door.

28. - Top - End - #208

BardGuy

Arsnic carefully attempts to open the window
    Show

Aldaroth - IC

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ ♭ ♮ ♯ 𝄫

Child Support - IC

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

As Arsnics eases the window open and Japheth knocks at the door, Billy and Devon spot the aforementioned creature streak out of a nearby alley, it's large mass barreling forward at incredible speed towards Arsnic.

There's no reply to the door knock yet, and Japheths attention is quickly grabbed by the sight of the huge beast.

You have a moment to react before it reaches Arsnic, thanks to the lookouts.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Welp, the creature looked pretty hostile. Definitely not one of Lord Mardaq's, then.

In a repeat of what happened earlier at Arsnic's home, Devon's form vanished and reappeared beside the strange beast, stiletto ready to be plunged in its throat - and, exactly like back then, the shadows seemed to take on substance, grasping at the hybrid to slow and hinder its movements just before the strikes were about to connect.

Show
    Bonus Action: Shadow Step. Advantage on first attack.
    Action: Attack. Killing Shadows activates! +2 to hit and damage.
    #1 22 (OOC) for (1d6+6)[12] (+(1d6)[6] sneak attack) piercing damage.
    #2 (1d20+9)[23] for (1d6+6)[7] piercing damage.
    If either hits, spending a ki point to use Stunning Strike; Con DC 14 vs Stunned.

Ki 5/6.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2019-07-28 at 08:19 AM.