New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Building an Arcane Trickster

The main issue I'm hung up on is whether or not to dip Shadow Monk 6. I will star the things that I think really matter.

Things I would lose by multiclassing
    *Obviously I'd lose some SA, which would suck.

Spell Thief seems cool, but my (very limited) experience with high level enemies is that I am not going to be able to consistently win that DC battle. Also, if it's level 4 or below... what's the point? I've got evasion. Denying an enemy use of Dispel Magic seems pretty awesome... but I'm not seeing how that justifies staying in the class.

*Slippery Mind would definitely be a loss. My DM loves his liches and high level casters.

Elusive. Am I missing something? I guess that's nice, but seems very situational. Also, with Uncanny Dodge...

*Stroke Of Luck. This one seems cool... but it's only once per short rest. But I guess if I'm considering Monk, I'm going to be petitioning for plenty of short rests anyways...

Things I would gain by multiclassing
    *Unarmored Defense. I suppose this would technically make me MAD, but I could a) dump INT (most of my spells would be utility anyway), or b) get over it.

*Unarmored Movement. 15ft is significant, especially when paired with Dash or Shadow Step.

Ki. This will generally compete for my bonus action, so it's kind of a moot point.

Martial Arts. Meh. Nice flavor to be able to kick a orc in the gonads, but I will be using a single short-sword regardless; between controlling the Mage Hand, needing a hand free to use material components, and all of the other things competing for my bonus action, a second weapon is the last thing I need.

Deflect Missiles. I have only rarely seen this work, but the concept is freakin' awesome.

Slow Fall. I have literally only seen this used once. He reduced 4 falling damage to zero...

*Extra Attack. Always good, especially with only one weapon, especially especially when my DM likes to throw 25 AC monsters at me.

*Stunning Strike. A way to ensure future advantage, and therefore SA? Yes!

Ki Empowered Strikes. By the time I get this, I'll most likely have a magical short sword.

*Shadow Arts. A legitimate use for my ki points! Also, with Blindfighting... (although, it's unlikely we'd ever make it to that level). The other spells are also very thematic with the Arcane Trickster, and alleviate some of the spell competition.

**Shadow Step. THIS is what we're really here for. Guaranteed advantage and thus SA; huge range while maintaining stealth BEFORE moving; keep Thing (think Addams Family) on my shoulder for portable finagling; escape from combat without invoking AoO... this is arguably one of the most overpowered low-level features.

Wrapping up.
    Question: what's the standard DM ruling on what constitutes "dim light"? Obviously a poorly lit dungeon or cellar... but what about the shadow of a cliff or a tree? It is-- by definition-- dim as compared to the adjacent ambient light.

So yeah! That's where I am. Advice/ experience from people who have played such characters?
    Last edited by igor140; 2019-06-07 at 07:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Building an Arcane Trickster

Quote Originally Posted by igor140 View Post
    The main issue I'm hung up on is whether or not to dip Shadow Monk 6. I will star the things that I think really matter.

Things I would lose by multiclassing
    My God Man! Don't forget all your 3rd and 4th level spells!

And yet more competition for the Bonus Action is pretty teeth gritting (speaking from experience with a single class Monk and single class Arcane Trickster - each of whom individually have me pulling hair out deciding on which Bonus Action to use!)

Don't forget, Stunning Strike guarantees nothing - in my experience it fails as often as it succeeds. And a well played Arcane Trickster already has plenty of tricky ways to get that SA every round...

On the plus side, Deflect Missiles works every time...just not necessarily to it's full potential. But we're back to competition...but for Reaction now, and Uncanny Dodge.

Now Slow Fall on the other hand...well how much use you get out of that depends on how much you give it a chance to get used! Also something that works every time, and on a damage type that Uncanny Dodge can't help you with. Granted it scales much better on a single class Monk.

I guess mostly I feel like you may be disappointed at just how much of this build won't really take effect until very late in a campaign...possibly later than the campaign will last
    Last edited by CorporateSlave; 2019-06-07 at 07:40 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Not sure for most of this post, but as for lighting:

Shadows being cast, such as from a tree or overhang, vary based on how large it is. I treat it same as light: Closer to the source, more intense. A small tree shadow would be dim light, whereas the center of a cliff shadow would be darkness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I Don’t think 6 levels is a “dip”

I’m playing an arcane trickster myself and monk is not even a consideration for multiclass

I’m more interested in a one or two fighter level dip (archery fighting style and action surge are great), and maybe a wizard level or two for utility rituals.

I just see continuing as an AT to be better in almost any case though. It’s just so good and so much fun!

Any “dip” takes away from sneak attack, if nothing else, and that’s a big deal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Not that this couldn't be fun, but 6 levels is more than a dip, and may mean you don't see anything truly fun about arcane trickster for quite a while, if ever, depending on how long your campaign goes, or how high your dm let's the levels get. For my AT, I just took Misty step when I could and enjoyed just being a rogue.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    I’m playing an arcane trickster myself and monk is not even a consideration for multiclass
    I’m more interested in a one or two fighter level dip (archery fighting style and action surge are great), and maybe a wizard level or two for utility rituals.
    I had been looking at the same. Decided on Ritual Caster instead of Wizard as that gets me access to the higher level rituals such as Water Breathing.
    Still debating Fighter. One level is probably better than Stroke of Luck and an extra 4th Level Spell but do not want to take it before Level 13 when I have third level spells.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Have you thought of the order you would take these levels? It's a lot and seems like it could take a really long time before the build really comes together.

My AT dipped a level of fighter for the archery style to go with Crossbow expert and sharpshooter. No regrets. Six level "dip"? Possible regrets.

On the other hand, maybe you'll enjoy just playing a shadow monk for a while. And then starting to get rogue levels will be fun. *Shrug*
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post

I just see continuing as an AT to be better in almost any case though. It’s just so good and so much fun!

Any “dip” takes away from sneak attack, if nothing else, and that’s a big deal.
    +1. If anything, I'd consider 3 levels of Fighter (battlemaster), to be able to use Sneak Attack as a reaction (riposte). That offsets the loss of SA progression, and some extra armor and action surge are nice as well. But even this (imo pretty good) dip costs you quite a lot.