New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Not-So-Mith'd Opportunity: Random Banter # 222

You haven't heard of the very awkward Vanilla Ice vehicle known as Cool as Ice? I envy YOUR life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Roland said that's a slur.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2019-07-12 at 10:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Roland said that's a slur.
    Fixed, sorry about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Not seen Kangaroo Jack then? Tsk.
    You make dangerous assumptions. at least that one has Bernard from Law & Order in it. Still not as bad as Anchorman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    You haven't heard of the very awkward Vanilla Ice vehicle known as Cool as Ice? I envy YOUR life.
    Don't envy it for long, now I really wanna see that!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

5. - Top - End - #785
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Anchorman is the best argument the British, or anyone else, could pull out if they wanted to advocate for the downfall of American cinema. Truly, that was our darkest hour.
    Haven't seen Jackass, haven't heard of Cool as Ice. That said, it's unequivocally worse. I envy your blissfully Anchorman-less life.
    Somehow in all of today's conversation this is the most wrong thing I've ever heard.

Vanilla Ice's ****ty romance-comedy and a bunch of dumb****s violenceing each other are not better then a really good comedy movie. How could you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    The lives of a pair of socially inept geeks, one of whom is autistic, are inverted by the arrival of a socially proficient but non-geek-literate woman who forces them to interact with the outside world. Just because they don't pay the royalties doesn't mean it's not a remake.
    big Bang Theory is a group of four friends not a pair, and that aside you've described the basic premise of every sitcom. I've SEEN The IT Crowd, and it's not even remotely similar.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-12 at 07:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Somehow in all of today's conversation this is the most wrong thing I've ever heard.

Vanilla Ice's ****ty romance-comedy and a bunch of dumb****s violenceing each other are not better then a really good comedy movie. How could you think that?
    I mean, I imagine it has something to do with one's personal tastes. My brother holds up Dumb and Dumber as some highlight of comedy, while to me it is the only movie that I've watched (I was forced to do so, by the way - I was told "no, you can't go to bed instead") and felt that I would have actively stared at a wall for two hours and had that be a better use of my time.

So... it's just that opinions are subjective, I suppose.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-07-12 at 07:43 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I mean, I imagine it has something to do with one's personal tastes. My brother holds up Dumb and Dumber as some highlight of comedy, while to me it is the only movie that I've watched (I was forced to do so, by the way - I was told "no, you can't go to bed instead") and felt that I would have actively stared at a wall for two hours and had that be a better use of my time.

So... it's just that opinions are subjective, I suppose.
    Yeah that's fair, but I feel like being so SURE that Anchor-man is a worse film than them is a hell of a take.

And yeah almost as if all humour is subjective or something

8. - Top - End - #788
    Bugbear in the Playground

Are you in the states? Because I'm heavily gluten-intolerant and it is VERY sneaky on this continent, as shared equipment basically rules out a lot of things for me. We should compare notes to see which wins.

Hell, Kellogs currently has a recipe on their website for a gluten-free dessert that is anything but.
    Yes, I'm in the USA.

Well, to be truly pedantic, I was talking about allergens rather than all intolerance triggers. Wheat allergy is a thing, but most people who need to avoid gluten are doing so for reasons of non-allergic intolerances. (Do we have a color-code for excessive pedantry? I feel this paragraph needs one.)

That, or I'm actually not sure which is harder. Both suffer from the problems of "clueless people not realizing that the thing is in the thing" pretty badly, but I think a higher percentage of things that contain gluten do so in an "obvious" way than things containing soy, at least in the American diet. Both of them also have a ton of places they're included sneakily, but there are more dishes where wheat is featured as an intentional ingredient than soy, which is almost always not the featured food in the dish.

Like, if I'm trying to figure out which things don't have gluten, I don't even need to read the labels on a random package of cookies - if it doesn't say gluten free in big letters on the front, it'll totally have gluten in it and there's no need to double-check that assumption by reading the label. With soy, I pretty much have to ask about each individual thing that isn't tofu since it's all equally likely to contain soy and the exceptions are neither obvious nor marketed as such. (I currently have some imported French chocolate-dipped butter cookies made with sunflower lecithin, but the only reason I have them is because I keep reading labels on everything for that one time out of 50 or 100 that I'll actually be able to eat the thing.)

On the other hand, since gluten doesn't have to be called out (as opposed to wheat or whatever other gluten-containing grain being called out by name) and cross-contamination is a bigger issue, there's a whole separate set of problems there. On an additional hand, at least there is a large enough market for gluten free foods that you can find things called out as specifically for that, which does not seem to be a thing with soy-free foods.

On the whole, I am envious of a college friend of mine. Her only food allergy is to pork. At least two different religions specifically don't eat that, plus vegetarians don't either. It still limits her food choices, but she has a much, much easier time than I do in finding safe food.

9. - Top - End - #789

Vanilla Ice's ****ty romance-comedy and a bunch of dumb****s violenceing each other are not better then a really good comedy movie.
    Oh, I absolutely agree. They are, however, significantly better than Anchorman.

Wull Ferrell has had the starring role in exactly two good movies - Stranger than Fiction and Your Welcome, America, both of which were phenomenally funny and had two starkly different characters. He has, separately, played the exact same painfully unfunny character as the starring role in a shockingly large number of other, very bad movies - painfully unfunny idiot as a newscaster, painfully unfunny idiot as a race car driver, painfully unfunny idiot at Christmas, etc etc.

Other movies where he's a supporting character or part of an ensamble cast he does great, notably because he plays an actually different character in each of those. But the one-trick-pony character made a ton of money so they kept Maki. G those movies. Shame, that.

10. - Top - End - #790

Oh, I absolutely agree. They are, however, significantly better than Anchorman.

Wull Ferrell has had the starring role in exactly two good movies - Stranger than Fiction and Your Welcome, America, both of which were phenomenally funny and had two starkly different characters. He has, separately, played the exact same painfully unfunny character as the starring role in a shockingly large number of other, very bad movies - painfully unfunny idiot as a newscaster, painfully unfunny idiot as a race car driver, painfully unfunny idiot at Christmas, etc etc.

Other movies where he's a supporting character or part of an ensamble cast he does great, notably because he plays an actually different character in each of those. But the one-trick-pony character made a ton of money so they kept Maki. G those movies. Shame, that.
    I disagree, though I have not seen You're Welcome America and the unstated movies you mentioned are bad. Stranger Than Fiction is absolutely choice though.

The Other Guys was legit good though, as was Get Hard in a very stupid sort of way, and both at least had very cool and fun credit sequences where the film reminds you that the real enemy is the rich so I'm always going to appreciate that.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Ettin in the Playground

Although I've only read the Wikipedia article for it, I already know for a fact that Anchorman is both:

• Terrible
    ...and...
    • better than Freddy Got Fingered
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-07-12 at 08:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #792

I disagree, though I have not seen You're Welcome America and the unstated movies you mentioned are bad. Stranger Than Fiction is absolutely choice though.

The Other Guys was legit good though, as was Get Hard in a very stupid sort of way, and both at least had very cool and fun credit sequences where the film reminds you that the real enemy is the rich so I'm always going to appreciate that.
    Haven't seen Other Guys or Get Hard. From the trailers, the didn't look as bad as the other ones he did, but I was pretty burned out on Will Ferrell by that point.

Ive seen The Nice Guys, but that's because I'm a huge sucker for Shane Black movies.

13. - Top - End - #793

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Anyway, I'm watching the latest adaptation of Watership Down,and I'm really not enjoying what they did to Bigwig. He seems to have lost all his calm from the books, where he might have known he was the Moray experienced but still had the decency to listent o others. I like Bigwig, I don't like this strange rabbit.
    If you're talking the latest BBC adaptation, I think I lasted to partway through the second episode before giving up on it. Watch the 1978 movie instead, it's 137 times better (I calculated it very carefully).

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

I've also heard that French/English translations just don't do well in general, but I only speak English, barely. Oddly, I've heard that German/English translations do much better since the languages are very close and the humor is easier to translate.
    From my experiences with the Germans and the sexy enemy, the humor is the bigger factor there. Not that English isn't closer to German, but the German sense of humour is so close to the English that I've honestly never had to explain a joke to a German.

Also German accents are adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you're talking the latest BBC adaptation, I think I lasted to partway through the second episode before giving up on it. Watch the 1978 movie instead, it's 137 times better (I calculated it very carefully).
    Which clearly makes the book (which I am currently reading) 323 times better. But I have fond memories of seeing the film when I was twelvish, I really need to relocate it.

In all seriousness I'm finding myself hating what's been done to Bigwig, and I'm not overly impressed with Holly. Fiver though is not bad, and the main problem is that it's just not as good as the old film or the book. If those didn't exist it would be okay, but they do exist.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #795

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Which clearly makes the book (which I am currently reading) 323 times better. But I have fond memories of seeing the film when I was twelvish, I really need to relocate it.
    It's available for streaming on Amazon--it's even free if you have Prime, just checked.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    It's available for streaming on Amazon--it's even free if you have Prime, just checked.
    Ah, good, maybe I'll watch it tonight. Got to relax after work somehow.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #797
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Don't envy it for long, now I really wanna see that!
    Your opinions on Anchorman make me want to fight you in the streets, but I envy you the joy of seeing Cold as Ice for the first time. It is, without a doubt, the second best bad pop-rock movie ever.

The BEST bad pop-rock movie is, of course, Purple Rain.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Since late May, I've been working on writing code to do data analysis of water temperature in a river to detect and analysis Super-Cooling (water drops below freezing, and ice forms in the river).

Yesterday I compiled everything into one script with the main functions and sub function list*. It came out to just over 2,100 lines of code. Accounting for comments, white spacing and the function I took from a file share, it adds up to my personal work coming to around 1,600 lines of code generated through trial and error through 3 months of ~60 hours a week.

TLDR: I am damn well taking today off to enjoy the sunshine.

19. - Top - End - #799

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Your opinions on Anchorman make me want to fight you in the streets
    If we do, I call dibs on Brick. Just because I didn't laugh doesn't mean I didn't pay attention.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

If we do, I call dibs on Brick. Just because I didn't laugh doesn't mean I didn't pay attention.
    No deal.

He hit a man with a trident.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

21. - Top - End - #801

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    No deal.

He hit a man with a trident.
    I actual kind of want to re-watch that movie now and see if I like it any better, because I did giggle at that just now. No small part of my intense, burning rage at it was the trailer I saw was, IIRC, composed entirely of scenes cut from the final movie, so not only did they advertise a movie I didn't see, those bits actually were funny! Slap in the face, I tells ya!

I'll never re-watch Elf, though. That movie can stay in the dumpster where it belongs.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-13 at 10:09 AM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think New York City have a blackout.

23. - Top - End - #803

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I think New York City have a blackout.
    What, really? Be careful, dude!

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

What, really? Be careful, dude!
    I did call all my friends who live in that area and they have electricity at their house. My home doesn't have any electricity at all.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Since late May, I've been working on writing code to do data analysis of water temperature in a river to detect and analysis Super-Cooling (water drops below freezing, and ice forms in the river).

Yesterday I compiled everything into one script with the main functions and sub function list*. It came out to just over 2,100 lines of code. Accounting for comments, white spacing and the function I took from a file share, it adds up to my personal work coming to around 1,600 lines of code generated through trial and error through 3 months of ~60 hours a week.

TLDR: I am damn well taking today off to enjoy the sunshine.
    Hmm, reading this, I realise I completely lack a concept of how many lines of code one is expected to write per day. Doing the maths on your numbers, it seems like you had a speed of 2-2.5 lines per hour, which honestly doesn't sound very impressive, but I wouldn't be too surprised if some of my hardest projects have progressed about the same speed. It is, after all, hard to write code while reading documentation, and some weeks I do nothing but read documentation and other's code...

I did call all my friends who live in that area and they have electricity at their house. My home doesn't have any electricity at all.
    Are there any lights on in your neighbour's houses? If so, check your circuit breaker, you might simply have suffered a ground fault.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

26. - Top - End - #806
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Are there any lights on in your neighbour's houses? If so, check your circuit breaker, you might simply have suffered a ground fault.
    There's definitely a real power cut in parts of New York.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hmm, reading this, I realise I completely lack a concept of how many lines of code one is expected to write per day. Doing the maths on your numbers, it seems like you had a speed of 2-2.5 lines per hour, which honestly doesn't sound very impressive, but I wouldn't be too surprised if some of my hardest projects have progressed about the same speed. It is, after all, hard to write code while reading documentation, and some weeks I do nothing but read documentation and other's code...

We got electricity again and was very short lived too. Yay!

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

I remember learning that the ideal coding speed is about 2-3 lines every hour, because of everything else you have to do (in my experience that's getting it to actually compile, but I don't code for a living).

I still remember learning to code at university. I actually got annoyed at how difficult it was to format columns with cout due to being so used to printf.

So I rewatched Watership Down yesterday, and it's still a great film. The animation is beautiful, the story is streamlined, and scenes aren't actioned up compared to the book (I'm looking at you BBC rivet crossing!). Plus the casting is great, everybody sounds right, and the bunnies are properly bunny-like. And Bigwig is his calm, Hazel-supporting but experienced self.

I give it four out of uncountable stars.

Show

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That's just what survived my numerous "I'l just purge this section and re write it."

Considering I only started serious coding in January, (grad course requiring software to be built), I really appreciate this response.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I remember hearing once that the average for fully debugged and documented code was something like 4 lines per day.

I don't think I've ever come across anyone that slow, but I don't think I've ever come across fully debugged and documented code either, not that I've seen a lot of code.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.