New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    You do realize its tied to a removal for every discard right? +1: discard is nothing, of course.
    Because reanimator and dredge run tons of spot removal, or even intend to cast a 4 mana card. I already pointed out the strength of spot removal on planeswalkers, but the two decks that want discard most would have no use for this. Midrange is the only archetype that would use that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #572
    Banned

Default Re: Magic the Gathering Thread XXIV: *Slaps Roof* This Thread Can Hold So Many Chand

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Because reanimator and dredge run tons of spot removal, or even intend to cast a 4 mana card. I already pointed out the strength of spot removal on planeswalkers, but the two decks that want discard most would have no use for this. Midrange is the only archetype that would use that.
    fair enough, would also depend on what the - / ulti are though. But anyways, plenty of actual cards around to deal too much in theorycrafting, sorry for the tangent.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    To be fair Oko can go to 6 the turn he comes in. This is far more than burn deck can be dish out on turns 2 - 4. I wonder how much worse Oko would be if he started at 3 loyalty, so Fry could kill him even if he made food
    No mention of Oko in the comment I replied to. The comment simply said there were more ways of dealing with enchantments than dealing with planeswalkers.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

I really like How to Keep an Izzet Mage Busy.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Seems like a screaming drake in levels of combo abusability.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    It combos with everything though.

Generate 1 storm per R you have.
    Trigger anything that triggers off spells. (Monastery Mentor, Young Pyromancer, Jeskai Ascendancy, Adeliz, Aria of Flame, Guttersnipe, Talrand, Aetherflux Reservoir)

Bad things:
    Enable surge for 1 mana.
    Use with Splicer's Skill to make 3/3s for 5 mana.

The problem with the card is that it will either be great/busted combo material, or completely useless.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Question: Are there any ways to improve my Draft success? I pretty consistently loose my first draft game no matter how good the deck is, because I cannot gauge my decisions in the first game. It is hard for me to formulate a game plan out of random cards. I feel I am getting better at it, but I still feel like I either play to conservatively (i.e. squeeze out all the value!) or too aggressive (hoping tempo carries me to the win), when even aggressive decks in draft have to play a bit of midrange, and even controlish decks need to maintain some momentum in the form of creatures as removal and control tools are often lacking.

Now I could use a short general draft guide in video form (like 20 minutes or so) but I am looking for a direct answer to my problem at hand.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Seems like a screaming drake in levels of combo abusability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    It combos with everything though.

Generate 1 storm per R you have.
    Trigger anything that triggers off spells. (Monastery Mentor, Young Pyromancer, Jeskai Ascendancy, Adeliz, Aria of Flame, Guttersnipe, Talrand, Aetherflux Reservoir)

Bad things:
    Enable surge for 1 mana.
    Use with Splicer's Skill to make 3/3s for 5 mana.

The problem with the card is that it will either be great/busted combo material, or completely useless.
    Oh, I didn't mean I would ever want to encounter it in actual play, from either side. I just meant it was brilliantly funny.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Question: Are there any ways to improve my Draft success? I pretty consistently loose my first draft game no matter how good the deck is, because I cannot gauge my decisions in the first game. It is hard for me to formulate a game plan out of random cards. I feel I am getting better at it, but I still feel like I either play to conservatively (i.e. squeeze out all the value!) or too aggressive (hoping tempo carries me to the win), when even aggressive decks in draft have to play a bit of midrange, and even controlish decks need to maintain some momentum in the form of creatures as removal and control tools are often lacking.

Now I could use a short general draft guide in video form (like 20 minutes or so) but I am looking for a direct answer to my problem at hand.
    A lot of this comes from experience with the specific draft format and experience with playing Magic in a general sense. Learning when you are the aggro and when you are the control is the hardest part of Magic. In general, however, it sounds like Who's the Beatdown?, one of the classics, may be helpful to you. A lot of the specifics make no sense now (this article is super-dated) but the key questions are helpful:
    1. Who has more damage? Usually he has to be the beatdown deck.
    2. Who has more removal? Usually he has to be the control deck.
    3. Who has more permission and card drawing? Almost always he has to be the control deck.
    These are harder questions to answer in Draft specifically, but it helps to look at your deck when it's laid out, and know how much removal you have, how much card advantage you have, and what cards you have that will finish the game when they start attacking or doing their thing.

The main question I ask to help me decide these things is "If things go according to plan, how am I going to win this game?" and "What can my opponent do that will change my plans?" A lot of Magic is adapting to changes in these situations, but even a draft deck should have a clear plan of attack that, ideally, you construct as you're putting together cards.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2019-11-09 at 12:30 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    A lot of this comes from experience with the specific draft format and experience with playing Magic in a general sense. Learning when you are the aggro and when you are the control is the hardest part of Magic. In general, however, it sounds like Who's the Beatdown?, one of the classics, may be helpful to you. A lot of the specifics make no sense now (this article is super-dated) but the key questions are helpful:

These are harder questions to answer in Draft specifically, but it helps to look at your deck when it's laid out, and know how much removal you have, how much card advantage you have, and what cards you have that will finish the game when they start attacking or doing their thing.

The main question I ask to help me decide these things is "If things go according to plan, how am I going to win this game?" and "What can my opponent do that will change my plans?" A lot of Magic is adapting to changes in these situations, but even a draft deck should have a clear plan of attack that, ideally, you construct as you're putting together cards.
    Not the clear cut answer I was hoping for but it is a very simple and good basis to wrap my head around. Thanks.

Tho I understand most of these principles from Hearthstone and TES: Legends (even though the games work differently). My main "problem" or issue is with deck building at the start of the draft.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a more pressing issue than who's the beatdown honestly. The first thing to really get is don't draft bad cards. You do not want your draft deck to be full of cards that don't do anything. This is part of why creatures (and thus removal) are usually prioritized. Your cards have to do things. Card evaluation is one of the most important things that separates the people who consistently are in prizes and people who are constantly bottom of the table.

Cards like fortifying provisions are bad cards that you should almost never play in your deck. Aim to have as many 'playables' as possible. Even if a 2/1 for 2 isn't great at all stages of the game, having more of them is better in general than having several cards that just don't pull their weight.

Look into some articles on Mana curve in draft, I don't recall any off the top of my head. Google should turn up some goodies though.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

If you aren't sure how to draft a deck, I suggest you start with CABS theory. Once you've mastered that, you can advance to other, more complicated strategies, but starting here is a great way to improve your success.

I assume you draft mostly online because most people do, but if you draft in real life, you can usually ask your opponents how they built their deck after the game. Most people aren't so unwilling to talk about their drafts, and they can explain to you their plan. Or maybe not, but asking will show you just how many people struggle with this problem because it's super hard!
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

I can't even bring myself to go out to shop for clothing on the times its needed or look for a new place to live, don't expect me to go out to a FNM like a NORMAL HUMAN BEING!

14. - Top - End - #584
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I’ve just got to share. Had one of my absolute best drafts on Arena yesterday. Started with Garruk in my first pack, Questing Beast in my second, and somehow the AI let Wicked Wolf fall to me for the third pick of the second pack. Didn’t end up with much other removal, but I absolutely smashed my way through the round to 7-1.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been looking at a card recently, and I'd like peoples opinions on it.

What does everyone think of Embercleave, and is it viable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marywn View Post
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate
    For a sufficiently sexy Fey patron, that might be the best word yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Have Barbarian Bear Totem Centaur, who's being ridden by a Cavalier Centaur, who's being ridden by a Life Cleric Centaur, who's being ridden by a Goliath Monk, who's being ridden by a Gnomish Warlock.

HI-HO SILVER, AWAYYYYYYY~!

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Viable in which format?

I really like the idea of it with a commander like Radha. Play a bunch of creatures, throw radha down, use the mana generated to slap embercleave on her.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Embercleave is currently in use in a Pioneer deck that's putting up results.

The big issue here is that as the Pioneer meta shakes out, said deck might not continue to be viable in the format. But it works pretty well with go-wide strategies, and especially creatures that make other creatures, such as Goblin Rabblemaster.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

18. - Top - End - #588
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

In Limited, I'd categorize Embercleave as a bomb card. I got one for a Sealed event in Arena, and I think it's the main reason I got 7 wins (the maximum) for that entry.

It's a powerful card, and its built in cost discount plus flash can make for a brutal low cost combat trick - and then it sticks around to keep giving its bonuses on future turns.

I'm not sure how it stacks up in Constructed play, though.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #589
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post

I think the bolded section may be where you're running into the most of an issue and it may be happening before the game even begins. When you're drafting, the card pool is random, but your deck shouldn't be. Instead after you make your first few picks you should be continuing to focus on cards that will only improve on the ones you have or, if that's not possible, would cause you headaches later. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to have the entire metagame memorized, but it does mean you may want to focus on a deck type that you're already familiar playing with. While some of the tactics might change from set to set, the overall strategies don't so get familiar with the basic color theories.

For example, I tend to be a very Timmy player. I can do control if I have to, but my default mindset is "Hulk, smash" and its a comfort zone when I'm playing. So when I draft, I tend to look for the cards that let me play to my strengths. A few mana ramps, a few combat tricks, and strong, face-beating creatures that are relatively costed for their power levels. If I don't see something that fits my plan for the deck, then I'll grab the card that will foil my plan, such as off color removal. Not because I plan on playing it, but because I don't want to play against it. Then when I sit down, I've got about 15-18 cards which are the core of my deck, about 4-5 run offs, and 1-2 which could be useful at some point, maybe. Meanwhile the remainder of my 45 will be 7-9 cards I cut, 7-9 cards I won't use but won't have to worry about facing, and the remainder are, well, the remainders I just ended up stuck with.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

20. - Top - End - #590
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    In Limited, I'd categorize Embercleave as a bomb card. I got one for a Sealed event in Arena, and I think it's the main reason I got 7 wins (the maximum) for that entry.

It's a powerful card, and its built in cost discount plus flash can make for a brutal low cost combat trick - and then it sticks around to keep giving its bonuses on future turns.

I'm not sure how it stacks up in Constructed play, though.
    Nice, I dont play arena, but that sounds pretty good. Honestly, Ive been thinking on going into some more serious formats like modern, but its price tag and learning curve have dissuaded me... but its actually been kinda attractive to try to get better in a competive format.

Embercleave seems cool but yea, Ive noticed it doesnt do as well as id like it to be in constructed, *COUGH, COUGH OKO*

Anyways, thanks for that. Any relatively cheap modern decks that would be worth trying?
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate
    Have Barbarian Bear Totem Centaur, who's being ridden by a Cavalier Centaur, who's being ridden by a Life Cleric Centaur, who's being ridden by a Goliath Monk, who's being ridden by a Gnomish Warlock.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Get into pioneer honestly. Modern is great, I love it. Modern is a cesspit of degeneracy. If you're looking to dip into constructed it is not where I would recommend you start.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Get into pioneer honestly. Modern is great, I love it. Modern is a cesspit of degeneracy. If you're looking to dip into constructed it is not where I would recommend you start.
    Hm... Pioneer has come up with some of my friends, and they have told me it's cheaper to get into than modern is.
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

Last I checked, the cheapest real Modern deck you could realistically get that was competitive was Gifts Storm. The deck was around $250 four (?) months ago. Beyond that price point it jumps to around $500-$600 dollars for your Boros Burn, Grixis Death's Shadow, and G/W Bogles. Most other meta decks are going to be around $1k. Some extreme outliers are going to be even more than that.

The big problem most decks are going to run into price wise is fetch-lands. These can be anywhere from $80 - $350 for a playset. After that, it's going to be format all-stars like Snapcaster, Karn Liberated, Liliana of the Veil, and Jace tMS.

The other 45+ cards in your deck usually run about $150.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

As for me, I know I should try to have a Modern deck but I never found one that strike my fancy... I should probably go watch my local gamestore those who play it to see if it seem fun.

And no, I dont watch or play MTG Arena. I tried but its confusing for me

25. - Top - End - #595
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    As for me, I know I should try to have a Modern deck but I never found one that strike my fancy... I should probably go watch my local gamestore those who play it to see if it seem fun.

And no, I dont watch or play MTG Arena. I tried but its confusing for me
    MTG arena is something i find redundent for me. My mindset on that is why spend money... on cards that i could just get physically instead.

Of course Not bashing anyone for playing it, but just having a massive collection of cards makes MTG Arena a turn off for me.
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

MTG arena is something i find redundent for me. My mindset on that is why spend money... on cards that i could just get physically instead.

Of course Not bashing anyone for playing it, but just having a massive collection of cards makes MTG Arena a turn off for me.

My mind set in turn ia that it is insane to pay 200+++ $ for a standard, edh Brawl or modern Deck when I can play with them virtually.

But I already feel kinda shafted because of the latest decisions to only have Brawl 1/week, historic being hidden away and edh not being a thing at all.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

You're aware that arena is free, right?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #598
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    You're aware that arena is free, right?
    Yes, I am aware, but it feels limiting to me when I have the card in my hands, and i have to spend my time trying to get the chance to get cards that I already physically have
    TIME FOR THESAURUS.COM!
    Consummate

29. - Top - End - #599
    Colossus in the Playground

For those of you who care, the new MTG novel, War of the Spark: Forsaken, which is about the aftermath of the titular war, is out now.

I'm reading it now, feel free to ask questions. Please note some of the opening chapters are shockingly horny.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    For those of you who care, the new MTG novel, War of the Spark: Forsaken, which is about the aftermath of the titular war, is out now.

I'm reading it now, feel free to ask questions. Please note some of the opening chapters are shockingly horny.
    Like everyone shacking up? Because that usually happens after a war, seems pretty reasonable.