New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1198
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Man you outdid yourself with this one. You took it in a couple directions I hadn't considered and definitely provided a lot of inspiration for my next campaign. I liked the subtle elements such as powering him through an internal telescope pointed at the cosmos and also why the druids would be drawn to him. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Hi!

Just found this forum and I love this thread! Made an account specifically for this thread

My character just died (RIP) and I got a session coming up real soon and I just lost my inspiration after creating it.

What I got so far is some kind of Occult Investigator in the form of a High-Elf Oathbreaker (former Oath of Crown I think. Level 5), Miran. How she broke her Oath I haven't figured out. The setting starts at a recently discovered continent of the world (homebrew setting except the deities) and she have traveled there by ship. Not sure why she left yet either. She'll be Lawful Evil and would be cool if a maybe Night/Winter deity could be involved somehow. I've picked up Arcana, Religion and Ritual Caster Wizard, since I found that fitting. Oh yea and she plays the violin.

Background:
    Marine

Personality Trait:
    I live for the thrill of the hunt.
    I’m used to the very best in life, and that’s a hard habit to break.

Ideals:
    Family. Blood runs thicker than water.

Bonds:
    I keep my thoughts and discoveries in a journal. My journal is my legacy.

Flaws:
    Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

<3
    Last edited by Vikki; 2023-01-03 at 07:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    Dude, that was amazing! Thank you so much! I can't even say how awesome and useful this will be to inform the character at the table. Now I just want to go roll some dice!
    I love me some Dragonlance. So if you ever (and this goes for anyone, really!) want to come in this thread and just tell me how it's going with the character and their adventures - I'd love to hear it. I get connected to these characters I write for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissented View Post
    Man you outdid yourself with this one. You took it in a couple directions I hadn't considered and definitely provided a lot of inspiration for my next campaign. I liked the subtle elements such as powering him through an internal telescope pointed at the cosmos and also why the druids would be drawn to him. Thank you!
    Thank you! I always enjoy these writing challenges! And even more so when those who request them enjoy them! :)
    As always thank ye for replying too! Sometimes people request stuff - and I write it - and I never hear back from them... so I have no idea if they liked it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
    Hi!
    Just found this forum and I love this thread! Made an account specifically for this thread
    My character just died (RIP) and I got a session coming up real soon and I just lost my inspiration after creating it.
    What I got so far is some kind of Occult Investigator in the form of a High-Elf Oathbreaker (former Oath of Crown I think. Level 5), Miran. How she broke her Oath I haven't figured out. The setting starts at a recently discovered continent of the world (homebrew setting except the deities) and she have traveled there by ship. Not sure why she left yet either. She'll be Lawful Evil and would be cool if a maybe Night/Winter deity could be involved somehow. I've picked up Arcana, Religion and Ritual Caster Wizard, since I found that fitting. Oh yea and she plays the violin.
    Background: Marine
    Personality Trait:
    I live for the thrill of the hunt.
    I’m used to the very best in life, and that’s a hard habit to break.
    Ideals:
    Bonds:
    I keep my thoughts and discoveries in a journal. My journal is my legacy.
    Flaws:
    Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.
    <3
    This one is kind of long... I always feel like those ones where someone "falls from grace" end up a little bit on the longer side...
    You need to show how their life was before the fall...
    Give them a good sense of how good they were... or how good their life was...
    And then the fall... and why they've turned against everything they once held true and valuable.
    A lot of symbolism here too... when her heart grows cold... I specifically mention the goddess of winter since you wanted that infused...
    And continue that cold theme with her...
    And then the symbol on her platemail... also symbolic.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    Enjoy!
    =======================

“Perhaps one day, you can be as good as your father’s brother at this violin,” Miran’s mother, Alleena smiled.

“Please,” Miran’s father, Auzengard laughed. “Do not encourage her so. You’ve heard the stories my brother, Kallius has told us all!”

Kallius, who like the others, was a High Elf – though he behaved, Auzengard teased, “much more like a half-elf” because of his nature. Kallius had sat in a chair, leaned back, his feet pressed against the wall while he strummed at the violin. “Have I told you about the one where I encountered some adventurers who had camped out in the woods? There I was tired,” he began to play the violin, pulling the bow across the violin’s strings to emphasize the dramatic effect of his story, “having just fled – bravely, I might add! – from an infestation of giant spiders when I saw a flickering light in the forest.” Miran leaned close, her elbows resting on the floor, her palms prompting up her head.

“If this is one of those stories where you meet ‘a lady of exquisite skills’,” Miran’s mother warned, “can you please spare us?” as she gestured towards Miran, who was still very young.

“By Sune’s fiery hair, you think I have no tact?” Kallius laughed. He kneeled down and handed his violin to Miran as he’d done every time he happened to be “in the area.” He looked at her as she gazed up at him in wide eyed wonder. The sound the violin had made when it was played sounded amazing to her – and each time her uncle offered it to her to play – she did not hesitate beyond the initial shock. She took it into her hands and began to try and mimic the same notes her uncle had played, bringing the bow across the strings. Kallius immediately recognized what she was doing and gently touched her hands and said, “Place your hand here, fingers here and here. Now pull the bow across these two strings. Now slide your fingers down here, and pull across this string.” She’d done so and it had sounded very close to what he had played.

“What is that song called?” Miran asked.

“Why,” Kallius said, leaning back, placing his hands behind his head, “that’s a Kallius original. I call it the Ballad of Blood.”

“Really,” Miran’s mother flinched. “That’s a dreaded name.”

Kallius shrugged. “When I meet others on the road, and I play it faster than what I showed a moment ago, it really does seem to inspire my companions if we find ourselves in trouble. Also seems to unnerve the enemy.”

Kallius came by frequently during his travels around the world – and Miran looked forward to it each time. He’d brought her a number of trinkets and bobbles that he’d acquired through his travels, which she truly appreciated, but there was no gift better than when she could play the violin for him and his reaction as she improved each year.

Her father, Auzengard was worried that Miran was bound to follow in the steps of his brother and become a bard that traveled the lands, sang poetry and told incredible stories, but to his surprise, she followed in her father’s footsteps becoming a faithful follower of Eldath and becoming one of her most devote Paladins in the Order of the Crown. Like her father, her efforts to keep peace around the High Elf lands had forced her to combat the likes of goblins, orcs and brigands of all kinds and while she felt content, she looked forward to Kallius’ visits so she could try to impress him with her violin skills. With her mother’s approval, when Miran was not off protecting the land, she was allowed to take violin classes by a devote follower of Milil, god of poetry and song, named Amhran Silversong. Amhran was a beautiful, older high elf – her once golden locks were now streaked with grey. Her skin however, showed some age – but her eyes were as bright and youthful as the morning skies. She’d always said that it was important to keep love and song in the heart, and the body, though it may age – the heart and mind will forever be young.

She was fluent in several different instruments and taught many how to play them. Miran was in a class, full of about sixteen others, who were all there to learn the violin. One of the students paused, and looked around. Amhran looked, “Is there something wrong Branstar?”

Branstar looked around himself. “Do you not hear that? It sounds like screaming.”

Liriac, who was often quite the jokester, replied, “Listen, I know we’re not as good as Amhran, but I don’t think any of us sound like our playing is mimicking screaming.”

But in that moment – they had each heard it. Screams.

Amhran looked at her students, “Remain here.” She rushed to the door and swung it open and saw several people running towards the west. Amhran’s eyes widened as she saw a fire spreading to the west. “Stay here,” she repeated and slammed the door behind her as she left. It wasn’t long before there was the sound of metal clashing and the students opened the door and saw what appeared to be a nightmare. The entire western region of the town was ablaze and people in black armor were cutting through people regardless of gender or age.

Some students fled, some hid, Miran had fought before – she had no weapon, but she did not need any. She would defeat one of the enemies who dared attacked their city and rip the weapon from the dead body and proceed to cut down these attackers. She quickly rushed into combat, without armor on, and was able to quickly move around those in heavy armor. The attackers were brutes – slow and sluggish – more trained to do damage than be skilled with a weapon. She quickly slammed into one of them and detached their dagger from the hilt at their side and plunged the dagger between a gap in the armor allowing the blade to bite deep into their neck. They grabbed their neck in a vain attempt to stop the blood pouring from the wound before death took them. She grabbed their sword and began fighting these men, though she had no armor to protect herself. She was cut and gashed badly throughout the fight – when she noticed her own home was burning. Foregoing all else, she dashed towards her home and kicked down the door. She was immediately greeted by her mother who had, perhaps, mercifully been slain – her throat slit. She moved through the house and found her father’s corpse next – he’d put up a fight trying to defend Miran’s mother. But that’s when to her surprise, she’d found her uncle buried under a part of the wall – she’d not heard he was coming. He moaned and she quickly dropped her weapon and kneeled down to him. Immediately, she could see the life fading from his eyes. He would not be alive much longer. “Please,” she whispered, “don’t speak. Rest. Everything will be fine.”

He smiled, blood leaked from the corner of his lips. “Cult … members of… Myrkul… god of… death,” he coughed blood and the life drained from his eyes ever so quickly with each cough. “Want to… resurrect… an… ancient…” he coughed once again and the life drained from his eyes for the final time.

Despite the raging inferno around her, Miran felt the cold, wretched touch of winter, clench her heart and squeeze it with such force, she was certain that Auri, the goddess of winter herself, had chilled her. Miran picked up her uncle’s violin, whose wood had been warped by the fire. Ignoring the flames all around her, she entered her room and donned her armor, and clasped her weapon to her body. By the time she’d gone outside, most of the attackers had fled or been slain. Many asked her if she was all right as she stormed past them. The people around her struggled to gather the dead and dying all the while trying to put the inferno around them out.

Miran did not care. Each step away from home her heart grew ever colder.

By the time she’d reached the library, she could almost see the chill mist of her breath. She stormed through the door and walked through the rows and rows of books until she reached an area about the deities – and she began pouring through one of the volumes that dealt with Myrkul and his cult of fanatics. She learned that they’d had a small temple not far from the very place she called home. She slammed the book shut, walked to the stables and without asking stole a horse and rode towards the temple with little regard for her own life. As she rode through the woods, the very branches of nature tried to stop her from the path she’d set herself on – that by the time she’d breached the edge of the woods and began riding into the plains, the symbol of Eldath had been scratched so badly it was no longer recognizable.

She arrived at the temple, set against several larger hills, within two days. She dismounted and began to walk towards the temple. As she spotted two guards casually talking, she removed her violin from her shoulder and pulled the bow across the strings – her hand there, fingers there – then move – then across the other string.

The two guards, startled by the odd sound the violin had produced due to the warped wood, peered into the dark – just as lightning flashed behind Marin, creating a silhouette. “Who goes there?” they called out – but as their eyes tried to adjust to the new found darkness when the bolt of lightning vanished, they did not see or hear Miran’s footsteps rushing towards them in unison with the rolling thunder, her sword decapitating one of the men, and spraying blood onto the face of the other who stumbled back in surprise.

She leapt on the second one and demanded to know what the cult was after. Despite serving the death god, the man feared for his life – the look of frost and winter in her eyes was a coldness he could not explain. He confessed that one of the elves in her town had uncovered a map to a distant land – and supposedly there, some great power sought to be awakened.

Miran thanked him by shoving her sword through his throat. She made her back to the horse, rode to the nearest port village, and booked passage for this supposed new land…
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Thank you!! I really enjoyed your backstory for Miran.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Hello Tawmis, I'm starting in a couple of days a new campaign, it's set in Curse of Strahd.

My character is a Human male, a Light Cleric of Lathander. I picked the feat Magic Initiate Druid.
    My background is the Haunted One from the CoS book, basically choosing the line: "An apparition that has haunted your family for generations now haunts you. You don’t know what it wants, and it won’t leave you alone".
    This is the reason why I became a devout follower of the Light and wander the world smiting evil. I learned a few tricks from druids, but I worship my god and preach the word everywhere I go, even a tad too loudly sometimes.

I pictured a hint of eccentric behaviour, borderline paranoic, but I'm resolute in my faith and I fear nothing.

I don't want to be an adventurer before the start of the campaign, I'm pretty much an unlucky commoner with a difficult past (this bit is for DM request) that just discovered his powers. I have no idea if I'll find myself in Barovia or end up there accidentally.

Hope you can spare some time for this and that what I wrote is inspiring enough. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Miele; 2023-01-12 at 06:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1026

Quote Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
    Thank you!! I really enjoyed your backstory for Miran.
    Thank you! Always glad to hear people enjoyed what I wrote for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Miele View Post
    Hello Tawmis, I'm starting in a couple of days a new campaign, it's set in Curse of Strahd.
    My character is a Human male, a Light Cleric of Lathander. I picked the feat Magic Initiate Druid.
    My background is the Haunted One from the CoS book, basically choosing the line: "An apparition that has haunted your family for generations now haunts you. You don’t know what it wants, and it won’t leave you alone".
    This is the reason why I became a devout follower of the Light and wander the world smiting evil. I learned a few tricks from druids, but I worship my god and preach the word everywhere I go, even a tad too loudly sometimes.
    I pictured a hint of eccentric behavior, borderline paranoid, but I'm resolute in my faith and I fear nothing. I don't want to be an adventurer before the start of the campaign; I'm pretty much an unlucky commoner with a difficult past (this bit is for DM request) that just discovered his powers. I have no idea if I'll find myself in Barovia or end up there accidentally. Hope you can spare some time for this and that what I wrote is inspiring enough. Thank you in advance!
    Hopefully got this in before your game started!
    The ghostly figure was the center piece, as you mentioned, to becoming a cleric.
    Also left her very humble start (no adventuring yet!) - because there was no adventuring, I did the "Magic Initiate Druid" fear as a very subtle way of saying you were good with animals (horses, specifically) that when your cleric powers are bestowed, perhaps that came with it as Lathander saw your love of your horses.
    I played up your "paranoid" as general fear (bats, for example; then when the ghostly figure first appears).
    And I left the location (are you in Barovia? Could go either way, which is why I used bats in the story)....
    Anyway, would love to hear what you think!
    Good, bad, what you liked, or didn't like!
    Feedback helps me and it also keeps this thread bumped and alive!
    Enjoy!
    ====================================

I was eight years the first time I saw it and the sight of it nearly took twenty years from my life.

Now? I am simply used to it appearing.

My older sister and brother both claimed to have seen it also. I’d never seen it before until it came to me when I was alone.

My mother’s voice had called out from inside the cabin that I was to be the one to clean the horse stables tonight – and to make sure they were very clean – because my father would be riding one of the horses into town to apply as one of the city guards. Again.

As the stable door creaked open, it startled several bats that had taken to nesting at the top of the dark stable, and fluttered out of the door – giving me quite the start. I shook my head and looked over my shoulder, scolding my older brother that he was supposed to have cleaned the upper stables three days ago – and clearly had not – since the bats, which had lived there for weeks now, were clearly still making the barn their home. I had gone inside and saw our two horses; Thunder and Lightning, named so – because Thunder was a larger horse, whose hooves clomped loudly on the ground when he ran. He was thicker, more majestic looking if you were to judge him by size and muscle. Lightning was our female horse; she had a beautiful mane that when the moon hit it just right, seemed to be made of rainbows. She was more slender than Thunder, smaller in height too, but she had earned her name because she could out run Thunder, both in distance, and especially speed. Like their name sake, Thunder was a deep grey color, resembling storm clouds; while Lightning was almost pure white, with uncanny blue eyes.

At that moment, between Thunder and Lightning, a grey mist appeared. Startled, I fumbled backwards, foot in the bucket of water and toppled to the ground. The mist took shape and a ghostly finger pointed to me then slowly began to dissipate. My first thought was my sister was behind this – she’d been practicing magic and it would be just like her to try and scare me, but as I searched the barn there was no sign that she was here. I called out for her and heard my mother call out that she was cleaning dishes and not to be disturbed.

When I spoke with my sister and brother, they both explained they’d seen it before. First, it had come to my eldest brother – he’d seen it at the well. Each and every time – it appeared next to the well. When my sister, who was just a few years older than me, began to see it – it’d been at the edge of the woods. That, my brother explained, was when he’d stopped seeing it. My sister informed me, she’d not seen it in six days. So was it only paying a visit to one family member? What was the message it was trying to tell me?

The following day, my mother was pleasantly surprised when I offered to go to town with her. She knew something was behind the reasoning of my request; because I’d often said I’d much rather go clean the stables than go to town.

As we walked through town I saw exactly what I was looking for – a church of Lathander. I begged my mother if I could go; and she agreed, so long as I stayed there until she came back from the market to get me. I wholeheartedly agreed. I rushed into the Lathander chapel and immediately began to pray to Lathander, who was known throughout the realm as the Morninglord – but he was someone who favored those who dispelled the undead, among other things.

So I prayed to Lathander and asked how to be rid of this undead that haunted my siblings and now me. I was disappointed that I heard no majestic voice, nor did an angel descend and give me holy words I would carry forth to dispatch this spirit. As a matter of fact, I heard nothing.

Day after day, I came with my mother to town and I rushed to Lathander’s chapel and prayed. Each and every day. After weeks of no answer, I realized that perhaps Lathander did not answer me because I was just coming here for my own selfish reason – would I come here again if I’d gotten the answer on how to vanquish this visiting spirit? In my heart, I knew I would not. Lathander knew I was being selfish.

So for the next three years, I continued to come back to Lathander’s chapel and pray – not just on how to vanquish this spirit – but for the people of the world, to let Lathander he was in my heart, and I began to feel a change in me. Once I accepted the ways of Lathander, I could hear whispers of his voice speaking through magic.

I accepted my position as a Cleric of Lathander – and though the spirit continued to visit me; now even outside of the barn – I realized, perhaps it was not there to harm me – but it was giving me a message or needed my help – and perhaps it wasn’t about destroying the spirit, but finding a way to help it find peace.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Now that is... amazing! Thank you very much, I enjoyed reading it!
    I love the details about the horses and I was imagining my character as a kid :)

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there! First off, I'm amazed with the number of backstories and people you've helped through this thread, and reading through what you've written has been pretty inspiring. I'm hoping you can help me with my character's backstory. I have a concept, but I'm having trouble fleshing it out and enriching it.

Name: Illunius
    Race: Shadar-Kai (formerly an elf)
    Class: Oathbreaker Paladin

I'm somewhat inspired by Xiao from Genshin Impact where fighting demons day and night for over 2000 years has him accumulating karmic debt and corrupting him to the point that his presence is harmful to most mundane individuals. So for my character, instead of breaking an oath, he instead gained a curse or something similar that twisted the divine light within him, allowing him to channel the very powers he swore to fight against. Once a beacon of light, as he still is, he now also stands as a beacon for darker entities, and if he isn't careful, he might succumb to them.

He was formerly a regular elf but later gained the Shadar-kai features as part of the curse or corruption.

Personality-wise, he's got golden-retriever energy but with a dangerous edge when push comes to shove, and despite the curse or corruption, he still tries to make the best out of his situation and for those he holds dear.

I hope what I wrote makes sense.

9. - Top - End - #1029

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticOwl View Post
    Hey there! First off, I'm amazed with the number of backstories and people you've helped through this thread, and reading through what you've written has been pretty inspiring. I'm hoping you can help me with my character's backstory. I have a concept, but I'm having trouble fleshing it out and enriching it.
    Name: Illunius
    Race: Shadar-Kai (formerly an elf)
    Class: Oathbreaker Paladin
    I'm somewhat inspired by Xiao from Genshin Impact where fighting demons day and night for over 2000 years has him accumulating karmic debt and corrupting him to the point that his presence is harmful to most mundane individuals. So for my character, instead of breaking an oath, he instead gained a curse or something similar that twisted the divine light within him, allowing him to channel the very powers he swore to fight against. Once a beacon of light, as he still is, he now also stands as a beacon for darker entities, and if he isn't careful, he might succumb to them.
    He was formerly a regular elf but later gained the Shadar-kai features as part of the curse or corruption.
    Personality-wise, he's got golden-retriever energy but with a dangerous edge when push comes to shove, and despite the curse or corruption, he still tries to make the best out of his situation and for those he holds dear.
    I hope what I wrote makes sense.
    I was, admittedly, 100% unfamiliar with Xiao from Genshin Impact... so I googled it. Saw it was a game.
    Went to youtube - watched "Short Suffering" (I think it's called?) to get an idea - and it shows the scene you mentioned.
    So with that in mind...
    I moved forward.
    I go a bit into some lore in the beginning to set up the character...
    I hope you enjoy!
    I'd love to hear feedback - good or bad - if it works or doesn't (and if doesn't, why not? Maybe I can rewrite that part to make it fit?) - tell me what you liked or didn't like.
    It all helps me. Which is why I do these challenges.
    It also helps keep the thread bumped and alive and provides visibility to others.
    Anyway!
    Enjoy!
    ==========================

The hatred between Elf and Orc has run since the age of gods.

Gruumsh, god of the orcs, bore a seething hatred for all elven gods – especially Corellon, creator of the Elves, whom he had waged many wars again – and lost. This urge to fight and slay, especially elves, was infused into the genetic make-up of the orcs in the world. Even amongst the gods, did many fear and respect the bloodthirsty rage of Gruumsh, but Corellon never heeded the warnings.

When the gods gathered around the world and staked their claim; Gruumsh quickly realized each land was taken, mountains by dwarves, hills by halflings, deserts by humans, forests by elves; he grew furious and pierced the land and shouted that orcs would adapt and dwell everywhere and be infused with the desire to reclaim the world as their own.

My name is Illunius, and long have I faithfully followed Corellon as his weapon and his warrior against the darkness that would seek to reclaim that which has long been the home to the elves. I come from a long line of other Paladins of Corellon; my father before me, who instilled in me all that is right and just. He showed me how to hold a shield and swing a weapon. He was there when the time came for me to take the first orc life I would ever take. My grandmother before him was also a Paladin of Corellon, and she was proud of what she stood for. Her strength was more than just physical. The way she stood, the way she looked, when she entered the room, without uttering a word, she commanded the presence of all who beheld her; and for generations before her, my family has always had someone who bore the crest of Corellon and fought for his light.

For generations, just as the orcs had been infused to strike at all before them – especially elves – had my family been infused with the light, the passion, and the calling to fight those very forces.

Since I was young, I have walked the walls of this city, buried deep in the woods. Since I was young, I have rushed out, with others like me, to defend the land from orcs, and other beasts that would dare seek to harm those beyond the walls.

Since I was young, I have seen death. I’ve watched the vile orcs die; stuck on the end of my blade, the life draining from their eyes. Some of them, there have had anger to the end. Some of them, I’ve seen regret and fear, as the shadow of death comes for them.

Still, there was never mercy to be given. They threaten my home, my family, and my friends. I’ve seen companions who have faithfully followed Corellon die next to me, hearts pierced by crude weapons, forged in hatred.

Since I was young, I have defended these walls. It has been over three hundred years now; a never ending bloodshed from the never ending enemies that rush these walls to bring their shadow and evil into a place of light and love.

Three hundred years of this and it has changed me. I became detached at the task at hand; my blade moved and cleaved without emotion, without thought, like a leaf falling from the tree. My body moved to simply kill. When there was no enemy, I was inside the walled city, a prisoner to the darkness that grew around my soul, like infection weeds in a dying garden, choking the light and bringing in the slithering darkness.

The light of my soul was fading. Even the morning sun began to hurt my eyes. I longed for the night shift, so I could walk under the watch of the pale moon’s light. It’d been such a night, when I cast my eyes towards the one moon that lingered in the night sky, her bright light shining down on me. No stars were seen that night, as if they’d all fled or been devoured by darkness. As I continued to stare at the moon it seemed to get closer or I was floating towards it. Suddenly the lack of stars began to become more noticeable – and the one moon changed to an eye – an eye that never sleeps. Gruumsh!

My eyes snapped open and the moon’s light was still there, but the stars returned, flickering. I stood and shook my head, making my way back to my home. It was there, as I gazed into the reflection of a pool of water, I took notice.

It was not just that the sunlight had begun to bother me; but my once, golden hair, that shined bright like the sun, had lost its color – it was now deathly grey-white, like the moon. My skin, now almost grey in color – the life, drained from me. I had stopped being a light for Corellon and had simply surrendered to the never ending hatred, war and blood. I’ve lost my way into the shadows and darkness.

I needed to get out. I needed to get away.

Since I was young, I have fought in an endless war.

And it has cost me my soul.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2023-01-14 at 05:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tawmis View Post
    I was, admittedly, 100% unfamiliar with Xiao from Genshin Impact... so I googled it. Saw it was a game.
    Went to youtube - watched "Short Suffering" (I think it's called?) to get an idea - and it shows the scene you mentioned.
    So with that in mind...
    I moved forward.
    I go a bit into some lore in the beginning to set up the character...
    I hope you enjoy!
    I'd love to hear feedback - good or bad - if it works or doesn't (and if doesn't, why not? Maybe I can rewrite that part to make it fit?) - tell me what you liked or didn't like.
    It all helps me. Which is why I do these challenges.
    It also helps keep the thread bumped and alive and provides visibility to others.
    Anyway!
    Enjoy!
    ==========================

The hatred between Elf and Orc has run since the age of gods.

Gruumsh, god of the orcs, bore a seething hatred for all elven gods – especially Corellon, creator of the Elves, whom he had waged many wars again – and lost. This urge to fight and slay, especially elves, was infused into the genetic make-up of the orcs in the world. Even amongst the gods, did many fear and respect the bloodthirsty rage of Gruumsh, but Corellon never heeded the warnings.

When the gods gathered around the world and staked their claim; Gruumsh quickly realized each land was taken, mountains by dwarves, hills by halflings, deserts by humans, forests by elves; he grew furious and pierced the land and shouted that orcs would adapt and dwell everywhere and be infused with the desire to reclaim the world as their own.

My name is Illunius, and long have I faithfully followed Corellon as his weapon and his warrior against the darkness that would seek to reclaim that which has long been the home to the elves. I come from a long line of other Paladins of Corellon; my father before me, who instilled in me all that is right and just. He showed me how to hold a shield and swing a weapon. He was there when the time came for me to take the first orc life I would ever take. My grandmother before him was also a Paladin of Corellon, and she was proud of what she stood for. Her strength was more than just physical. The way she stood, the way she looked, when she entered the room, without uttering a word, she commanded the presence of all who beheld her; and for generations before her, my family has always had someone who bore the crest of Corellon and fought for his light.

For generations, just as the orcs had been infused to strike at all before them – especially elves – had my family been infused with the light, the passion, and the calling to fight those very forces.

Since I was young, I have walked the walls of this city, buried deep in the woods. Since I was young, I have rushed out, with others like me, to defend the land from orcs, and other beasts that would dare seek to harm those beyond the walls.

Since I was young, I have seen death. I’ve watched the vile orcs die; stuck on the end of my blade, the life draining from their eyes. Some of them, there have had anger to the end. Some of them, I’ve seen regret and fear, as the shadow of death comes for them.

Still, there was never mercy to be given. They threaten my home, my family, and my friends. I’ve seen companions who have faithfully followed Corellon die next to me, hearts pierced by crude weapons, forged in hatred.

Since I was young, I have defended these walls. It has been over three hundred years now; a never ending bloodshed from the never ending enemies that rush these walls to bring their shadow and evil into a place of light and love.

Three hundred years of this and it has changed me. I became detached at the task at hand; my blade moved and cleaved without emotion, without thought, like a leaf falling from the tree. My body moved to simply kill. When there was no enemy, I was inside the walled city, a prisoner to the darkness that grew around my soul, like infection weeds in a dying garden, choking the light and bringing in the slithering darkness.

The light of my soul was fading. Even the morning sun began to hurt my eyes. I longed for the night shift, so I could walk under the watch of the pale moon’s light. It’d been such a night, when I cast my eyes towards the one moon that lingered in the night sky, her bright light shining down on me. No stars were seen that night, as if they’d all fled or been devoured by darkness. As I continued to stare at the moon it seemed to get closer or I was floating towards it. Suddenly the lack of stars began to become more noticeable – and the one moon changed to an eye – an eye that never sleeps. Gruumsh!

My eyes snapped open and the moon’s light was still there, but the stars returned, flickering. I stood and shook my head, making my way back to my home. It was there, as I gazed into the reflection of a pool of water, I took notice.

It was not just that the sunlight had begun to bother me; but my once, golden hair, that shined bright like the sun, had lost its color – it was now deathly grey-white, like the moon. My skin, now almost grey in color – the life, drained from me. I had stopped being a light for Corellon and had simply surrendered to the never ending hatred, war and blood. I’ve lost my way into the shadows and darkness.

I needed to get out. I needed to get away.

Since I was young, I have fought in an endless war.

And it has cost me my soul.
    Having backtracked through this thread, I knew you worked quickly, but it still surprised me that you were able to come up with all of this within a day. Truthfully, I was searching for guides about making an oathbreaker paladin when I stumbled upon this thread, and having read the first of your works, I immediately made an account to hop on in.

As for the backstory, I'm unfamiliar with the lore about elves and orcs in D&D, but I am a fan of Lord of the Rings; did you take inspiration from that? Overall, this was an interesting read, and I very much enjoyed what you've written for Illunius.

Thank you very much!

11. - Top - End - #1031

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticOwl View Post
    Having backtracked through this thread, I knew you worked quickly, but it still surprised me that you were able to come up with all of this within a day. Truthfully, I was searching for guides about making an oathbreaker paladin when I stumbled upon this thread, and having read the first of your works, I immediately made an account to hop on in.
    As for the backstory, I'm unfamiliar with the lore about elves and orcs in D&D, but I am a fan of Lord of the Rings; did you take inspiration from that? Overall, this was an interesting read, and I very much enjoyed what you've written for Illunius.
    Thank you very much!
    Oh! Another who made an account for my thread?! Easy, people! My ego will soon eclipse the sun! :D
    I kid, I kid! I have a long way to go before my ego even eclipses a candle! hahah
    Yeah - with the craziness of the holidays out of the way, it's much easier to leap on here and knock these out in a day.
    I enjoy trying to do them as soon as I see them so that I am forced to be creative right then and there (which is why I made the thread) rather than brew up ideas over a number of days. I love pushing myself to think on the spot.
    As for the lore with Gruumsh (orc god) and the Elven gods - it's all lore from Forgotten Realms (which I assume most people play in unless they state otherwise, since Forgotten Realms is the default setting for D&D unless DMs homebrew their world). For the lore, it was an easy spot to start with. Because from the game you had pointed out that was the influence, they'd spent 2000 years fighting demons to feel the corruption. So I took that as the stepping stone - when you said High Elf - to make it generations of your family fighting orcs, including yourself. And really played up that hatred between orc and elf. If you go to - lemme find it - the Enemies section of Gruumsh on this page it goes into the details of the hatred between orc god and elven god(s).
    As a side note, I absolutely love Tolkien. I would not be into D&D had it not been for my 4th grade teacher reading The Hobbit to the class. After she read it, I literally checked out the book for two years straight, reading it back and forth. I'd take my favorite parts of the book and type them up. Then I would try to rephrase it with my own words, in a mad, youthful attempt to capture how Tolkien wrote. In the 6th grade, my teacher saw me with the book and was like, "You've been reading that book for awhile." I said, "No, I've probably read it now about 200 times." He was floored and asked, "Have you read Lord of the Rings? Takes place after that."
    Jaw.
    Dropped.
    Went and read those non stop for a few years.
    I still have the very first copy of "The Hobbit" that my father took me out to buy all those years ago.
    It's in severely bad condition from the constant re-reading back then. But it's definitely one of my treasured possessions. ... My... precious, if you will.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2023-01-14 at 01:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

So far your backstories look amazing! I have to admit, I also made an account just to reply to this thread. Would you be able to write just a short and quick backstory for my character?

Name: Otto Glittergear
    Race: Forest Gnome
    Class: Clockwork Soul Sorcerer
    Alignment: Chaotic Good

Otto grew up in a small Gnomish forest village named Undercreek. He inherited his power from his ancestor who helped build some of the first Modrons. He is not only part of an adventuring group but also a Sorcerer's Guild, and he is paid to cast spells for people (like casting Lesser Restoration on a poisoned villager). He has a younger brother named Percy who lives in the same kingdom as him but in a different city. They visit each other (typically) once a year.

I only really need a short backstory, so it doesn't need to be essay-length.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by GrimWaffle; 2023-01-25 at 04:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1033

Quote Originally Posted by GrimWaffle View Post
    So far your backstories look amazing! I have to admit, I also made an account just to reply to this thread. Would you be able to write just a short and quick backstory for my character?
    Name: Otto Glittergear
    Race: Forest Gnome
    Class: Clockwork Soul Sorcerer
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Otto grew up in a small Gnomish forest village named Undercreek. He inherited his power from his ancestor who helped build some of the first Modrons. He is not only part of an adventuring group but also a Sorcerer's Guild, and he is paid to cast spells for people (like casting Lesser Restoration on a poisoned villager). He has a younger brother named Percy who lives in the same kingdom as him but in a different city. They visit each other (typically) once a year.
    I only really need a short backstory, so it doesn't need to be essay-length.
    Thanks!
    You have a good short summary already!
    But to really get a feel for your character - I had to step back further, to how you mentioned an ancestor working with a Modron.
    I wanted to see how that came to be - and from there - built forward.
    It became easy as I looked up Clockwork Soul Sorcerer (never played one, myself, so I had to check) - and the pieces feel into place.
    Some fun notes - the mention of "Kwint Stormbellow" - and the saying - comes directly from the book that the Clockwork Sorcerer is in. :)
    You ancestor being named "Bhaut" is a reference to your character's name. Otto + Bhaut. Autobot. Transformers.
    Anyway! I had fun writing this - hope it's just the right length!
    Would love to hear feedback in the thread as it helps keep it bumped and alive!
    Enjoy!
    ======================================

There are rumors – and rumors that the dwarves quickly dismiss – that the innate desire in so many gnomes comes from their direct relationship to Dwarves, who enjoy the forge. Dwarves are quick to explain that there is absolutely no relation between Dwarf and Gnome; though many would argue that both enjoy creating things, their stout size, and their pride in the work that they do.

Otto’s ancestor – too many generations to even remember now – supposedly worked on the Modrons. According to legend, Otto’s ancestor, Bhaut Glittergear was out with his best friend Kwint Stormbellow, who was also a gnome – but a rock gnome, when a malfunctioning Modron crashed near them from the sky. The two rushed over to see what had crashed – and discovered the malfunctioning Modron that was repeating the words, “Anarchy… Chaos… Urgent… Mission… Damage… Murder… Comet… Diagnose… Critical… Trajectory altered… Location… Unknown.” It repeated the same message over and over. The two friends looked at each other and without saying a word began to lift and carry the Modron towards their mutual tinkering shop that was at the base of the mountain.

“I swear,” Bhaut Glittergear growled. ““Every 289 years, the entire multiverse goes mad. Like clockwork.” (As a side note – his best friend Kwint laughed so much, he constantly repeated the phrase and became the one who is quoted as having originally said it).

Together, the two relentlessly worked on the Modron, until it suddenly reset – sat up, and said, “Running diagnotics… repairs… completed. Mission parameters can still be met.” Without so much as a thanks, the Modron quickly exited the shop and departed into the heavens.

Little did either Bhaut or Kwint realize, that the long hours that they’d spent working on the Modron, day in and day out, was infusing their body with magical energies that altered their very genetic being. Every couple of generations someone on each side of their family was born able to inexplicably channel magic effortlessly.

Growing up not far from where his ancestor had worked on the Modron; Otto grew up in Undercreek, a forested village, whose forest grew right up against the Undermountain, where the lab was. The lab, over the generations (and the ever-expanding story of Bhaut and Kwint working on a Modron) was now much larger, and home to many gnomish artificers who constructed various objects and created new potions (both of which, had the occasional explosive, but rarely lethal results).

In Undercreek, life was much simpler. When Otto first surfaced his magical abilities, his family wasn’t at all surprised. It’d been quite a long time since someone in the family exhibited magic; even his younger brother, who saw Otto develop magic had hoped he too would also be able to do what his brother had done. Unfortunately, Percy, like many others before him, was not born with magical abilities. While Percy moved to Undermountain to study to become an artificer, Otto remained in Undercreek for quite some time being employed by the developing Sorcerer’s Guild that answered to the needs of the people, providing services such as Lesser Restoration for the occasional gnome who consumed the questionable mushroom found around Blooming Lake (named for the numerous plants and vegetation that grew around the lake due to the amount of nutrients the lake provided, undoubtedly from the depths – which had not been fully explored – of the lake).

While Otto was content in Undercreek, being near his people, his brother, and feeling useful around the town, providing services and being a part of an ever-growing guild – there was still something else he longed for.

Deep inside, there was something gnawing away at him. Something beyond Undercreek or Undermountain. Something beyond the walls of the forest or even the mountains. There was an entire world out there to explore and see. And yes, there was dangers to also be considered – but something about it – called to him.

One night, while visiting Percy at Undermountain, Otto explained that it might be a while before he sees him again; and that he was going on “an adventure.” When Percy asked where, Otto shrugged his shoulders and simply said, “I am not sure to be honest. But look to the moon as it moves across the skies, like seconds on the clocks; and know I will be watching the same moon. We may be far apart, Percy, but we will always be watching the same moon.”

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You have a good short summary already!
    But to really get a feel for your character - I had to step back further, to how you mentioned an ancestor working with a Modron.
    I wanted to see how that came to be - and from there - built forward.
    It became easy as I looked up Clockwork Soul Sorcerer (never played one, myself, so I had to check) - and the pieces feel into place.
    Some fun notes - the mention of "Kwint Stormbellow" - and the saying - comes directly from the book that the Clockwork Sorcerer is in. :)
    You ancestor being named "Bhaut" is a reference to your character's name. Otto + Bhaut. Autobot. Transformers.
    Anyway! I had fun writing this - hope it's just the right length!
    Would love to hear feedback in the thread as it helps keep it bumped and alive!
    Enjoy!
    ======================================

There are rumors – and rumors that the dwarves quickly dismiss – that the innate desire in so many gnomes comes from their direct relationship to Dwarves, who enjoy the forge. Dwarves are quick to explain that there is absolutely no relation between Dwarf and Gnome; though many would argue that both enjoy creating things, their stout size, and their pride in the work that they do.

Otto’s ancestor – too many generations to even remember now – supposedly worked on the Modrons. According to legend, Otto’s ancestor, Bhaut Glittergear was out with his best friend Kwint Stormbellow, who was also a gnome – but a rock gnome, when a malfunctioning Modron crashed near them from the sky. The two rushed over to see what had crashed – and discovered the malfunctioning Modron that was repeating the words, “Anarchy… Chaos… Urgent… Mission… Damage… Murder… Comet… Diagnose… Critical… Trajectory altered… Location… Unknown.” It repeated the same message over and over. The two friends looked at each other and without saying a word began to lift and carry the Modron towards their mutual tinkering shop that was at the base of the mountain.

“I swear,” Bhaut Glittergear growled. ““Every 289 years, the entire multiverse goes mad. Like clockwork.” (As a side note – his best friend Kwint laughed so much, he constantly repeated the phrase and became the one who is quoted as having originally said it).

Together, the two relentlessly worked on the Modron, until it suddenly reset – sat up, and said, “Running diagnotics… repairs… completed. Mission parameters can still be met.” Without so much as a thanks, the Modron quickly exited the shop and departed into the heavens.

Little did either Bhaut or Kwint realize, that the long hours that they’d spent working on the Modron, day in and day out, was infusing their body with magical energies that altered their very genetic being. Every couple of generations someone on each side of their family was born able to inexplicably channel magic effortlessly.

Growing up not far from where his ancestor had worked on the Modron; Otto grew up in Undercreek, a forested village, whose forest grew right up against the Undermountain, where the lab was. The lab, over the generations (and the ever-expanding story of Bhaut and Kwint working on a Modron) was now much larger, and home to many gnomish artificers who constructed various objects and created new potions (both of which, had the occasional explosive, but rarely lethal results).

In Undercreek, life was much simpler. When Otto first surfaced his magical abilities, his family wasn’t at all surprised. It’d been quite a long time since someone in the family exhibited magic; even his younger brother, who saw Otto develop magic had hoped he too would also be able to do what his brother had done. Unfortunately, Percy, like many others before him, was not born with magical abilities. While Percy moved to Undermountain to study to become an artificer, Otto remained in Undercreek for quite some time being employed by the developing Sorcerer’s Guild that answered to the needs of the people, providing services such as Lesser Restoration for the occasional gnome who consumed the questionable mushroom found around Blooming Lake (named for the numerous plants and vegetation that grew around the lake due to the amount of nutrients the lake provided, undoubtedly from the depths – which had not been fully explored – of the lake).

While Otto was content in Undercreek, being near his people, his brother, and feeling useful around the town, providing services and being a part of an ever-growing guild – there was still something else he longed for.

Deep inside, there was something gnawing away at him. Something beyond Undercreek or Undermountain. Something beyond the walls of the forest or even the mountains. There was an entire world out there to explore and see. And yes, there was dangers to also be considered – but something about it – called to him.

One night, while visiting Percy at Undermountain, Otto explained that it might be a while before he sees him again; and that he was going on “an adventure.” When Percy asked where, Otto shrugged his shoulders and simply said, “I am not sure to be honest. But look to the moon as it moves across the skies, like seconds on the clocks; and know I will be watching the same moon. We may be far apart, Percy, but we will always be watching the same moon.”
    That is amazing! I am definitely coming back to this thread in the future, your story writing skills are great!

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Are you able to write a backstory for the villains of my campaign? Here is a brief summary:

They're all Eladrin of different seasons. Their names are:

Spring: Berenus Bloom (male)
    Summer: Erevan Blaze (male)
    Autumn: Valoria Bluster (female)
    Winter: Aurora Bitter (female)

They are all lawful evil and wish to conquer certain domains in the Feywild. For example, Berenus wants to conquer the Spring kingdom. When he does so, everything about spring is "amplified" - flowers and plants bloom and grow so much that the entire kingdom is overgrown and difficult terrain. If Valoria conquers the Autumn kingdom, the winds will become so strong that leaves constantly fly in your face, and giant pumpkins block the path.

They all want to conquer their kingdoms and then work together to overthrow the king who lives in the middle of each of the kingdoms (in a neutral city named Mossbottom).

Are you able to find a way of linking the four Eladrin with a backstory? Why do they want to overthrow the king, apart from just gaining power? For information, the king is a bullywug named King Clunk XIV.

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #1036

That is amazing! I am definitely coming back to this thread in the future, your story writing skills are great!
    Thank ye! I enjoyed writing it!

Are you able to write a backstory for the villains of my campaign? Here is a brief summary:
    They're all Eladrin of different seasons. Their names are:
    Spring: Berenus Bloom (male)
    Summer: Erevan Blaze (male)
    Autumn: Valoria Bluster (female)
    Winter: Aurora Bitter (female)
    They are all lawful evil and wish to conquer certain domains in the Feywild. For example, Berenus wants to conquer the Spring kingdom. When he does so, everything about spring is "amplified" - flowers and plants bloom and grow so much that the entire kingdom is overgrown and difficult terrain. If Valoria conquers the Autumn kingdom, the winds will become so strong that leaves constantly fly in your face, and giant pumpkins block the path.
    They all want to conquer their kingdoms and then work together to overthrow the king who lives in the middle of each of the kingdoms (in a neutral city named Mossbottom).
    Are you able to find a way of linking the four Eladrin with a backstory? Why do they want to overthrow the king, apart from just gaining power? For information, the king is a bullywug named King Clunk XIV.
    Thanks!
    So typically Eladrin can shift their forms to other seasons...
    But this seemed as if each one was stuck in the season they represented.
    So I wanted to figure out - "Why" are they stuck representing that particular season?
    The Queen I selected - her race could be changed to be Elf, or whatever - I just picked what I did because of the magical indications of it.
    Anyway, this was just a real quick... this one makes it too easy as to why they'd be plotting against the king...
    I may come up with another one... but here's one for now!
    Enjoy!
    =====================

There is no bond deeper than blood shared by family. Rarely, can such a bond be severed.

When King Lazrick learned that his wife, a well-respected and well-loved Dryad of the Evergreen Woods in the Feywild was finally pregnant, he could barely contain himself. He leapt about with joy, announced new holidays for the kingdom every other week, simply to celebrate the ever approaching day of his child. Several weeks into the pregnancy however, his wife, Krassila, complained that she was not feeling well and placed her hand on her stomach. Her body shivered with terrible coldness, her skin as cold as death itself; then, a moment later, searing hot. Her eyes would go from a deep green to deep orange colors uncontrollably.

When a Priestess of Life was called in to check on Queen Krassila, the Priestess was happy to report that it would seem that Krassila – who had been trying to get pregnant for years – was now going to give the King twins. This doubled the King’s joy! More holidays! More celebrations!

However, several months into the pregnancy, the symptoms returned and the Priestess of Life was called back. The Priestess, after examining Queen Krassila, had a look of deep concern – and King Lazrick leaned forward dreading the words that would spill from the Priestess’ lips. Instead, still in shock, her face pale, her eyes lost in the depths of endless questions, she turned to King Lazrick and said, her voice breaking, “I do not know how to say this… or how this is possible…”

“Go on! Go on!” the King urged. “Say it, Priestess! My heart is faint! I cannot take this waiting!”

“It’s not twins,” the Priestess finally said.

“What?” The King was shocked. “Is it triplets then?” He was ready to burst with excitement.

“I am afraid not, my King,” the Priestess said.

“Then what? What is this news that pales you so?” the King demanded.

“You will be having quadruplets,” the Priestess whispered.

The King was overjoyed until he saw the Priestess’ face. He paused and looked at her. “Why do you remain pale, Priestess?”

“I believe it’s the children who make her ill, my King,” the Priestess said. “It’s as if a storm rages within her belly, my lord.”

“What would you have me do? Destroy my own children?” the King asked appalled.

“Of course not,” the Priestess bowed. “I know that your life is long, as an Elf, and that you have longed for your lovely wife to bare you a child. I merely worry for her own health, my lord.”

“Your Queen, the incredible Krassila, is far stronger than the greatest warrior in the feywild,” King Lazrick growled.

And so, Queen Krassila gave birth to four children; born within moments of one another. First was the boy Berenus, whom King Lazrick held in his hands and thought how this boy would one day sit on his throne; next was Erevan – another boy! The King rejoiced! The brothers would keep one another company! Next was the girl Valoria, she was beautiful – and Krassila would love her deeply! The last and final child was Aurora, another daughter! How wonderful, thought the King! The two boys, the eldest, will one day rule my Kingdom! I shall teach them to be gentlemen and wonderful rulers! And Queen Krassila will have her two daughters whom she could teach to be proper ladies of the Realm!

In their youth, the children were loved by the Realm. Everyone rejoiced at the opportunity to see them and speak with them – but as the children reached their teenage years, something became very clear. Initially most had thought that perhaps the inherent powers of Krassila being a dryad had been why these children were seeing as being sometimes emotional.

Berenus seemed optimistic and hopeful; often said to be the most stable. But Erevan was not so calm; his blood ran hot all the time, believing he deserved to be the heir to the throne and that his “elder” brother was only an elder by mere seconds. Valoria almost seemed to be down; though she never cried, but when she walked through gardens, rose petals often fell and the leaves would turn orange, like the color of her eyes and begin to fall. Aurora was the one many feared; her heart seemed cold and rigid as she grew older, caring little for others around her. Even her breath emanated mist as if she stood in some artic region.

It became clear, as the four children left their teen years behind them and grew that something that had been long forgotten had come to the surface. Though King Lazrick looked to be a normal High Elf, who called the Feywild his home, like many other High Elves – in truth, he was an Eladrin. But he had learned to control his shifting seasons and had able to manifest himself to appear, simply as a High Elf – and he’d done so for so long, that it wasn’t until his children exhibited these Eladrin traits that the people remembered. There was no shame in being an Eladrin – they were simply elves who were shaped by the endless magics of the Feywild, having been infused with the boundless wild magic that ran rampant in the Feywild, so much so that it had genetically changed them to represent the four seasons of the world.

However, an interesting development had come because King Lazrick had fallen in love with a Dryad, perhaps the mixture created something unique – each of his children represented one season specifically. It became clear this is why the Priestess had warned it were as if the Queen had a storm within her belly when she was pregnant…

Berenus represented spring; as he grew older, leaves grew around him, life seemed to bloom all about. Erevan, with his envy and fury, ran hot all the time; his flesh the color of the burning sun, emanating heat all around him. Valoria was Autum, as the leaves and nature around her because to fall and change to match the colors of her orange eyes. Aurora, the most callous of them, was frigid like the North Winds of Frosthaven, and she represented Winter.

While normally the Eladrin purebloods could shift to represent the seasons of their mood; King Lazrick’s children were stuck in the Seasons for which they represented. At first this seemed fine, but as the magic of the Feywild coursed through the children; magic that ran so rampant and in uncontrolled doses, so did it impact the moods that each of them represented. Berenus found that his father was lacking in taking care of the land that his people farmed from. Erevan simply wanted to be the first son, so he plotted at times to kill his own sibling; but Berenus assured him he had no interest in the throne. Valoria was the epitome of self-loathing and she grew to despise her father. Aurora, her heart as cold as the whitest winter, cared for no one.

Madness crept into the veins and minds of King Lazrick’s children.

Soon, each plotted against him. Berenus wanted to reclaim the land and promised Erevan the throne, should he help dethrone their father. Aurora agreed to this plan, though she had planned to immediately dispose of her own brother – which ever one – who dared take the throne from her, and Valoria, not wanting to be excluded from this event with her siblings whom she was bound to, also agreed.

And so madness was born, and so too, was a plot formed to over throw the king… to over throw their father.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Halfling in the Playground

First thing first: hello!

I've been reading through your thread for a while now, and your stories are amazing (I haven't read everything yet but so far each and every story was a masterclass)! I absolutely love your pacing and how, despite the number of stories you wrote, they all feel unique and they still leave room for players' creativity, it's remarkable.

I was wondering if you could come up with a backstory for my centaur druid, as I'm not really a creative person (I think her name is indication enough of that)

Name: Hippogyne [shedoesn'thavealastnameyet]

Race: Centaur

Class: Moon Druid

Personality traits:
    • If someone is in trouble, I'm always willing to lend help
    • I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplations, becoming oblivious to my surroundings

Ideals:
    • Honor. If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan

Bonds:
    • I would do anything for the other members of my old troupe

Flaws:
    • I overlook obvious solutions in favor of complicated ones

Additional information:
    • She has a frontal, unicorn like, horn. It doesn't do anything and she's too tall to make any use of it. It hasn't been decided yet if her whole clan has a horn or if it's just her (it's up to you if you decide to make use of that information)
    • She's very close to her mother, Agape
    • Centaurs are non-monogamous so most members of her clan were her step-siblings

There's very little fully established things about her story, but I know that she wants to prove herself despite her shy and polite nature and that her dad calls her "his little filly" despite her being an adult, and that's pretty much it!
    Last edited by sun_flotter; 2023-01-26 at 12:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038

Quote Originally Posted by sun_flotter View Post
    First thing first: hello!
    I've been reading through your thread for a while now, and your stories are amazing (I haven't read everything yet but so far each and every story was a masterclass)! I absolutely love your pacing and how, despite the number of stories you wrote, they all feel unique and they still leave room for players' creativity, it's remarkable.
    I was wondering if you could come up with a backstory for my centaur druid, as I'm not really a creative person (I think her name is indication enough of that)
    Name: Hippogyne [shedoesn'thavealastnameyet]
    Race: Centaur
    Class: Moon Druid
    Personality traits:
    • If someone is in trouble, I'm always willing to lend help
    • I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplations, becoming oblivious to my surroundings

Ideals:
    • Honor. If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan

Bonds:
    • I would do anything for the other members of my old troupe

Flaws:
    • I overlook obvious solutions in favor of complicated ones

Additional information:
    • She has a frontal, unicorn like, horn. It doesn't do anything and she's too tall to make any use of it. It hasn't been decided yet if her whole clan has a horn or if it's just her (it's up to you if you decide to make use of that information)
    • She's very close to her mother, Agape
    • Centaurs are non-monogamous so most members of her clan were her step-siblings

There's very little fully established things about her story, but I know that she wants to prove herself despite her shy and polite nature and that her dad calls her "his little filly" despite her being an adult, and that's pretty much it!
    Hah! This was fun to write!
    Having an open ended thing to write left it wide open...
    And I tried to cover why you have some of the traits, bonds, flaws you mentioned above in the story...
    I did end up playing the relationship between your character and your father, more than your relationship with your mother...
    But the father bit near the end could be swapped out as the mother (just need to change the nick name calling)... but to me the father fit more here.
    Some of the things that I mention I figured I'd link...

Image that Inspired the Father “Shadow” - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/42/d5...19e89393fa.jpg
    Image that inspired the Mother “Agape” (except with white hair instead) - https://about-mythical-creatures.wee...57507_orig.jpg
    The Forest Walker (Skerrit) - https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Skerrit
    Titanite - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...C_Pakistan.jpg

Anyway, as always, would love feedback. Good, bad, whatever you have!
    What worked?
    What didn't work?
    What did you like?
    What did you dislike?
    Love feedback! Keeps the thread bumped and alive!
    Enjoy!
    ================================

There is a saying among humans; that there is no bond stronger than the blood that is shared by family. Perhaps our own human like trait borrowed from such a saying, because as Centaurs, the tribe I come from was non-monogamous, and so each of us was family to one another, which created an incredible bond between us. No one would seek to do harm or betray the other, because in order to do so, you were in fact, betraying your own family.

My name is Hippogyne, and among the Centaurs, I was still quite young, only twenty-six cycles passing. My mother was an elegant centaur; her upper torso was a beautiful shaped woman who wore a leather tunic. Her hair was as white as the snowcapped mountains, but it wasn’t due to age – it was merely the color of hair she’d been born with. That same color came in the form of her long, elegant tail as well. Her eyes were piercing blue and to lock gaze with her was like staring at the heart of winter if she was angry with you; otherwise, it was like gazing into the most refreshing lake. She was primarily a gatherer for the tribe, gathering herbs, berries and fruits for the tribe’s survival, but she was also one of the best with a bow and arrow; most said she was a better hunter than those who’d been designated as part of the hunting side. Her name was Agape, and I was very close to my mother.

My father was named Shadow, named after his dark black hair that he wore long, untied and unkempt. He also had a beard that helped cloak most of his face beneath the darkness of his long hair or black beard. He was one of the Hunters – and he was exceptionally well at it. (Though many would tease him that clearly his time with Agape had taught him how to hunt). My father was wonderful and enjoyed my mother quite a bit, as he often came around to check on her and me, though he had no true obligation as he had many other mates and children in the tribe.

When I reached the age of sixteen cycles, I developed an intense migraine – and my mother was there to comfort me and tell me that it was fine. It was a symbol of power. She pointed out that others in the tribe, who had antlers or horns – and explained that this means, magic runs in my veins and that those blessed with the horns and antlers were touched by the Forest Walker (some called him Skerrit). Magic was an intense headache for another two years, as a single unicorn-like horn eventually developed. Shortly after it had grown to its full length, the migraine subsided. True to my mother’s word, I could soon feel the energies of unseen magic flowing around me, like another layer of air blowing in the wind.

By the time eighteen cycles had passed I was brought to the Circle of the Stone Forest. In truth, it wasn’t even a forest unto itself – rather it was five large stones, standing each ten feet in height, made up of titanite – and the Arch Druid, another Centaur by the name of Evergreen, claimed that The Forest Walker himself placed these gems here as a symbol of life. In low light, they were the pale green of the woods, but when the light struck them just right, they flared orange, yellow and red, the symbol of the sun blessing the woods with the life giving energies.

Within the Circle of the Stone Forest, when we gathered – energy would connect from stone to stone, forming a protective circle around those inside. It was my time with the Druids that I learned that the Druids were the designated protectors of the Woods. The tribe had the gathers, such as my mother, Agape; they had the hunters, such as my father, Shadow; but it was the Druids who called upon the Moon’s light, and the night’s Darkness, to grant them the powers to protect the woods from those who would seek to harm it, or the people within it.

I’d been twenty cycles and out on my own, patrolling the borders of the woods. The sounds of combat caught my attention and I stepped closer to the edge of the woods. I watched as a human woman with fierce red hair, like a beautiful burning fire, singlehandedly fought off three very large, muscular bugbears. She looked to be in trouble, but she also seemed to be quite capable.

“Do not encourage attention to the woods,” my father always said. “Kindness to strangers will only welcome betrayal to the heart.”

I continued to watch as this brave woman fought off the bugbears. She was capable, but she was clearly beginning to show signs of exhaustion.

“Protect the woods,” Evergreen had said. “Keep the dangers out, and those that come in, destroy them if they refuse to leave.”

I grimaced and charged forward – revealing myself, which startled the bugbears who saw me emerge from the woods – I quickly cast Entangle, entrapping the bugbears. The woman, whose back had been turned to me, looked over her shoulder, equally as shocked to see me as the bugbears had been. “Run,” I shouted. “I will hold them.” Thankfully, bugbears relied on melee weapons. The woman quickly fled into the woods, running by me, breathing heavily, thanking me. Not in the woods. Not in the woods. I wanted to scream.

I chased after the woman into the woods, forgetting the bugbears behind me now. Catching up to her quickly I frankly said, “You need to get out of the woods. I didn’t mean for you to run in here. Just away from the bugbears.”

“I just need a moment to breath,” the woman heaved deeply. “Then I will exit your woods. I know the bugbears won’t come in here. They know your kind protects these woods.”

“You are the root, the tribe is the tree,” my mother would say. “To damage the root, you damage the tree. Do what you can to feed the tree. Acts against such a thing will bring dishonor.”

“Well, hello little filly,” a male voice said from the shadows. “Who is your friend here?”

Only one person ever called me that – I turned my head and felt my cheeks burn as bright as the human woman’s hair. “Father! What are you doing here?”

“Thought I heard you,” he admitted, his bow still pulled, an arrow knocked. “Your sweet voice, child of mine, is like a songbird to my ears.” He gestured to the human woman. “Who is she?”

“My name is Amberose,” the woman said. “I meant no harm. Your daughter rushed out to help me against bugbears.”

“Rushed out, you say,” my father’s gaze drifted towards me. My cheeks burned even brighter.

“She showed courage and honor to help a stranger,” Amberose explained.

“How kind of her,” my father’s words were dripping with the sweet nectar of sarcasm. “I am glad that you are alive and well, Amberose. But I am going to have to politely ask you to turn and leave now.” Amberose turned her head, and she could see through the thicket that the bugbears had broken free of the entangle spell, but were pacing a small distance away from the forest’s edge waiting for her to come running back out. The longer she remained inside, the closer they edge, believing that perhaps the forest wasn’t so guarded.

“Father,” I pleaded. “You should have seen her – she was fighting all three of those beasts. If you send her out now, tired as she is, she will not last much longer. Show mercy.”

“Mercy,” Shadow growled the words. “This is why…” My father began, but cut off his words. He rode to the edge of the forest, and within seconds – four arrows flew, and struck their marks – two in the larger bugbear, one for the other two – each piercing the eyes of the bugbears who slumped to the ground dead. He turned his head towards the human, “Now, Lady Amberose, your path is clear. I’d like to ask you to leave again.”

My mouth was wide open, Amberose turned to my father and thanked him, than to me and thanked me as well, before sheathing her sword and making her way back out of the woods.

“This, little tilly,” my father continued his sentence he’d originally stopped. “This is why we don’t help the outsiders. They invite trouble. Those bugbears were edging closer while you were sheltering her. We have taken centuries defending these woods and creating a mystique about the woods where others believe these woods are haunted or protected by demented fey.”

I bowed my head. “I am sorry, father. I was careless. It’s just… she looked incredible fighting… but those bugbears… they were cheating… two would attack, and allow one to rest, then when he was rested enough, he’d leap in and another would back off… you should have seen her… she was incredible.”

My father heaved a deep sigh. “I told your mother there was something about you. Something different. Something special,” he approached me and tapped the unicorn like horn on my forehead, “and I don’t just mean this. There was a deeper love for things than I’d seen. You care for the world the way most of our tribe simply care for one another.”

“I know,” I sighed. “I can change. I can fix myself.”

My father laughed, and pat me on the head, the way he did when I was a child, “Little filly, you are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. Perhaps it is the tribe who needs to be fixed, and see through your eyes.” He placed his arm around me. “We’ve locked ourselves away for so long behind this forest wall, that we have blinded ourselves to the world outside. Perhaps it’s time that changes. Your mother is going to kill me for this… but, by the gods, while I don’t want that to be you… I believe you are just the right person to do just that.”

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

I love your work and have requested it before. I'm a satisfied, returning customer. Here is another request...

I have a Forest Gnome Rogue: Arcane Trickster. Her names is Brunhilda. She is a well-respected, high ranking, albeit retired, military official.

Brunhilda: Hero Forge

Roland: Hero Forge

Her husband (Roland is a Gnome Druid) is not yet retired and not quite as high ranking, but he is also highly regarded. They have two children, a boy and a girl. Both are grown and have chosen to follow their parents' example and dedicate to a life of military, both are established and successful. All of them still gather together for the holidays/birthdays and communicate whenever possible amidst travels. Might even become a grandparent in the near future. She has never been aggressive, but she will certainly stand up for herself (or family) without hesitation.

Now, to my request:

Based on this information, I would like your legendary perspective on her motivation throughout the past. Why did she join the military? How did she meet her husband? When did she acquire her knowledge training as an Arcane Trickster? How was that class implemented through her career in the military? What was it like raising a family while actively serving a greater purpose? What ultimately (if not just decades of dedication) brought about such renown? Why did she decide upon adventure after retiring?

I know I've provided a fair amount of detail, but I was hoping you could fill in some blanks on her motivation and events for me? I hope it's not too much detail to ask. Also, have fun with it!
    Last edited by animorte; 2023-01-27 at 12:49 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey Tawmis, you've already provided me with 2 backstories and they're both amazing! However, I was wondering if you could do one last backstory - mainly because I've been asked to DM a separate group of people and I'm fleshing out a campaign idea that I've had for ages.

Basically, the entire campaign is based on the poem Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. The Wikipedia page on the poem has some great "lore". The BBEG in the campaign is the Jabberwock (stat block from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight), and it's set in the kingdom of Tulgey (based on the line "Came whiffling through the tulgey wood"). I was wondering, is there any way to connect all the monsters from the poem and give them a connection to the Jabberwock? I have a list of which stat block each monster of the poem should use:

"Slithy Toves" - Black Dragon Wyrmling
    "Borogoves" - Wynlings (from JttRC)
    "Jubjub Bird" - Tlecatecolo (from JttRC)
    "Bandersnatch" - Banderhobb
    "The Jabberwock" - Jabberwock

Do you have a way of somehow connecting all of the monsters to the Jabberwock? The Jabberwock is of course the BBEG who needs to be killed but I don't really have any motives. Also, in the kingdom that my campaign is set in (Tulgey), the first two stanzas of the poem are told as a children's rhyme, and so obviously nobody believes any of the creatures to exist. Also, since the Jabberwock appears by the Tumtum tree in the poem, maybe in the campaign the Tumtum tree could be some form of an ancient tree that summons the Jabberwock? Could you tie that into the backstory too?

Thanks! I hope you can think of a cool way to link the villains :)
    (and by the way, it doesn't need to be written from a 1st-person-perspective)
    Last edited by GrimWaffle; 2023-01-27 at 08:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Halfling in the Playground

Hah! This was fun to write!
    Having an open ended thing to write left it wide open...
    And I tried to cover why you have some of the traits, bonds, flaws you mentioned above in the story...
    I did end up playing the relationship between your character and your father, more than your relationship with your mother...
    But the father bit near the end could be swapped out as the mother (just need to change the nick name calling)... but to me the father fit more here.
    (...)

Anyway, as always, would love feedback. Good, bad, whatever you have!
    What worked?
    What didn't work?
    What did you like?
    What did you dislike?
    Love feedback! Keeps the thread bumped and alive!
    That's it, I'm in love! Where do I even start?

You were able to convey the character's energy perfectly (too perfectly maybe, pretty sure this is witchcraft haha), the relationships she has with her tribe feel incredibly genuine and you can sense a strong sense of attachement behind the words. The father at the end works perfectly, as I imagined her to really look up to her father as a wise figure.

I also love the titanite being used, as it is said to be calming, balancing and to stabilize mood, which already fits druids quite well and it just works wonderfully here. Plus, if I recall correctly but I might be wrong here so don't quote me on that, but I think people also associate healing properties with the stone?

And Amberose? Love her, and I think my DM will too! One fun thing about her that made me stop in my reading to process the information fully is her name (I'm friend with someone named Ambrose and they somehow give me similar vibes) and just, she's amazing and she could be a great "tool" for the DM as an NPC

All in all, this was absolutely perfect!

Enjoy!
    That you can trust I did! Thank you so much for the wonderful work!

22. - Top - End - #1042

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I love your work and have requested it before. I'm a satisfied, returning customer. Here is another request...
    I have a Forest Gnome Rogue: Arcane Trickster. Her names is Brunhilda. She is a well-respected, high ranking, albeit retired, military official.
    Brunhilda: Hero Forge
    Roland: Hero Forge
    Her husband (Roland is a Gnome Druid) is not yet retired and not quite as high ranking, but he is also highly regarded. They have two children, a boy and a girl. Both are grown and have chosen to follow their parents' example and dedicate to a life of military, both are established and successful. All of them still gather together for the holidays/birthdays and communicate whenever possible amidst travels. Might even become a grandparent in the near future. She has never been aggressive, but she will certainly stand up for herself (or family) without hesitation.
    Now, to my request:
    Based on this information, I would like your legendary perspective on her motivation throughout the past. Why did she join the military? How did she meet her husband? When did she acquire her knowledge training as an Arcane Trickster? How was that class implemented through her career in the military? What was it like raising a family while actively serving a greater purpose? What ultimately (if not just decades of dedication) brought about such renown? Why did she decide upon adventure after retiring?
    I know I've provided a fair amount of detail, but I was hoping you could fill in some blanks on her motivation and events for me? I hope it's not too much detail to ask. Also, have fun with it!
    Hah - I took this one for a different kind of spin. Wrote it from her perspective - but also injected so much personality (as she 'talks to herself') in the telling of this story.
    She has a ton of inner dialogue with herself that just began coming out as I wrote this...
    Definitely influenced by the incredible (I laughed so much!) Hero Forge image you have of her.
    That spunk and fun was everywhere in that image and it poured itself right into this story.
    I think I hit all the beats you wanted!
    I would love some feedback on this one because it's quite different!
    Enjoy!
    ===============================

It’s funny when your life is on the line how quickly you can make some life changing decisions.

My name is Brunhilda – and don’t be fooled by my size. Just because I am a gnome doesn’t mean when the floor drops beneath my feet my neck won’t snap. Now, one might ask how I ended up here? Is it some evil king who hangs people for the spectacle of it all?

No, just the opposite of that, really. King Jaros is well loved. Quite loved, as a matter of fact. That’s pretty much how I ended up here.

You see, all my life, I’ve been what some would call a thief. (I, personally, prefer the “Rogue” - it doesn’t sound as bad). I am often hired to try and… acquire things for high paying individuals. Sometimes someone will challenge me to try and acquire something. Sometimes, something catches my eye and I try to acquire it. (I don’t like to say stealing… because that makes me sound like a thief!)

Well something that had caught my eye was the Heart Gem – a gift given by the Elves of Emerald Wood. The forest was named Emerald Wood, because, as you might guess – the forests were lush and green, no matter the season. However, in the very heart of the forest was an ancient treant named Thousand Oaks, and from time to time, he would pull from the depths of his roots the most beautiful of gems that were buried far beneath the ground. There’s a story - I am not entirely sure I believe it – that Thousand Oak is the oldest tree in all of the world, planted by the Elven Goddess herself, and that his roots reach throughout the world and spring forth in the form of all the forests in all the lands.

Like I said, I am not sure I believe all of that – but, there’s no denying that Thousand Oaks exists – I’ve seen him (I think it’s a him? Do Treants have gender? I am not sure. He, it, has a very deep voice, so I have always called Thousand Oak a “him.” Maybe “it” is the proper pronoun? That seems insensitive. I think I will stick with “him”).

I am getting off track – at any rate, Thousand Oak gave the Elf King a red gem that, from the ground itself, looked to already be in the shape of a heart. The Elf King, in turn, gave this to King Jaros, because King Jaros had marched his own army against the goblin threat that had made its way towards the Emerald Forest. The war against the goblins had lasted four years and the Elf King wanted to show his appreciation and explained, “The heart of my people are forever in your debt, King Jaros, and so I give you this precious gem.”

King Jaros had inlaid that gem into the front of his crown, to honor the Elf King, so that all could gaze upon it. So it’s kind of his fault – flaunting the gem the way he did, that it caught my eye.

Well, one thing I hadn’t taken into account (mostly because I hadn’t heard) is that the Elf King had also given King Jaros a blink dog as a gift. I’d seen the dog – laying outside of King Jaros’ door, in the hallway, door was closed. So when I snuck in through the window, directly into King Jaros’ room – I was certain it would be fine. However, the Blink Dog had picked up my scent and blinked into the room and began barking, which awoke King Jaros, with my hand on the crown, trying to pry the gem loose – and when I bolted for the window, realizing everything was going sideways – the blink dog teleported in front of the window and growled at me – and before I knew it, six of the King’s Guards were on top of me and I was arrested.

Now, despite me explaining I was just intending to steal the Heart Gem, there was no denying I was right next to the King’s bed, dagger in hand, so they thought I was there to assassinate the King. (I can see how there might have been some confusion… being called a “thief” I can tolerate… but an assassin? Look at me! Do I look like an assassin? Well, I suppose most assassins don’t look like assassins or else they wouldn’t be good assassins… OK, I can see how they might come to the conclusion I was there to assassinate the king).

So we come to my hanging – the noose around my neck, the lever about to be pulled – and that’s when destiny would intervene and I would him – another gnome, magic-type by the looks of what he was wearing (muted browns and greens – druid is my guess). His name is Roland.

Roland turned to King Jaros, “My lord, perhaps there is use of her unique skills.”

King Jaros turned to face Roland, “What do you mean?”

“The goblin army,” Roland explained. “While they’ve been defeated and retreated away from the Emerald Forest, there is still a very large presence of goblins located in the Asheron Mountains. Someone as skilled as this one,” Roland gestured towards me with a nod of his head, “if we can get her to agree to scout the caves – perhaps get the rough number of remaining goblins, or perhaps to uncover what their next move is…”

“She’s a thief,” King Jaros shook his head.

“I prefer ‘Rogue’, my liege,” I shouted back, realizing perhaps that wasn’t the best time to intervene what I preferred to be called. I saw Roland chuckle, however.

King Jaros looked from me to Roland and back to me. “How do we know that she wouldn’t just run off the moment we take her down from the galley?”

“We can get Dazirw to cast a spell on her that would allow him to always scry wherever she goes and she knows you have infinite resources and are loved by all. If she ran there’s nowhere she could go where we couldn’t send someone to find her,” Roland explained.

King Jaros paused and shouted, “Would you agree to these terms?”

Listen, I don’t like being anyone’s lap dog – I’m looking at you, Blink Dog, sitting happily next to King Jaros – but I’d rather do that than have my neck snapped. “I agree! Happily, my liege!”

“So be it, remove the noose and bring her forth,” King Jaros demanded.

The following day, Dazirw came to the cell I was in and cast some kind of rune around my wrist and showed how – no matter where I went, just as they had said, he could see me. (I felt this was a violation of some privacy – there were private times I would need and knowing that some Human wizard could see me was a little unnerving). However, as I said – better than getting my neck snapped.

I made my way to Asheron Mountain and made my way inside the goblin infested caves and allowed myself to get captured. I explained to the goblins (by the way, they’re a filthy lot – and I am now debating if maybe the neck snap might have been the better choice here) that I had information on King Jaros and his kingdom – having recently escaped – and if the goblins wanted revenge, I could help make it happen. They were thrilled with this idea. I knew Dazirw would be scrying me so I used that to my advantage. I explained, exactly where I would lead the goblins to be able to get inside the fortress of King Jaros. Within three days, the goblins marched, in full force to the location – which, as I anticipated, Dazirw had informed King Jaros of what I’d said.

I wasn’t betraying King Jaros. Just the opposite. I had led the goblins into an ambush where King Jaros’ military force managed to kill and capture the majority of the goblins who had survived the previous war. I saw Roland there, as a part of King Jaros’ forces and watched, with admiration, how he used his druidic powers to help ensnare the goblins and prevent them from retreating. After that, King Jaros had invited me to dinner to celebrate my victory – and it was there, he gave me a full pardon. What came next was a surprise – he offered me a position in his military and said, Roland had recommended it. Honest work? For a King? Doing what I love? It’d be different.

I accepted the position.

Roland and I grew closer and closer as the days and weeks went on, eventually developing a relationship and being wed. The amount of people who showed up was astonishing – because King Jaros himself had made it a massive spectacle. I met royalty from the Dwarven and Elven Kingdoms. (I assure you, despite some very fine jewels; I kept my hands in my pockets and didn’t acquire anything).

I became King Jaros’ favorite spy and rapidly rose through the ranks of his military force. Roland and I grew closer and closer and he began showing me how even I could learn to weave the ways of magic to help benefit my own skills as the King’s spy.

After years of service to King Jaros, Roland and I had a child; a beautiful son. That’s when King Jaros told me my days as his spy were over, and that I was to focus on being a mother and the High Advisor to the agency of spies he had. This allowed me to focus on being a mother and keeping my position with the King’s military. It was just a year later, I gave birth to a daughter.

As the years rolled by, both son and daughter followed in our footsteps. They joined King Jaros’ military and were well loved by both Roland and I, but by King Jaros as well. In all my life, prior to the day I was almost hung, I’d never truly known love. That’s why I became a Rogue – I knew I was acquiring things back then because my life had been devoid of love and I wanted these things around me to make me feel loved.

Now I had two children, an incredible husband, and a King who sincerely loved me and my family.

Quote Originally Posted by sun_flotter View Post
    That's it, I'm in love! Where do I even start?
    You were able to convey the character's energy perfectly (too perfectly maybe, pretty sure this is witchcraft haha), the relationships she has with her tribe feel incredibly genuine and you can sense a strong sense of attachement behind the words. The father at the end works perfectly, as I imagined her to really look up to her father as a wise figure.
    I also love the titanite being used, as it is said to be calming, balancing and to stabilize mood, which already fits druids quite well and it just works wonderfully here. Plus, if I recall correctly but I might be wrong here so don't quote me on that, but I think people also associate healing properties with the stone?
    And Amberose? Love her, and I think my DM will too! One fun thing about her that made me stop in my reading to process the information fully is her name (I'm friend with someone named Ambrose and they somehow give me similar vibes) and just, she's amazing and she could be a great "tool" for the DM as an NPC
    All in all, this was absolutely perfect!
    That you can trust I did! Thank you so much for the wonderful work!
    This was my pleasure! I do love introducing potential NPCs who may revisit the campaign through someone's background (which is what Amberose is). So if your DM ever wanted to bring her back into the campaign as a connection to your character, I thought that'd be fun. Otherwise, she could be someone you never see again. But I enjoyed writing Amberose into the story and using her to show off your character (and references to her red hair and using that to explain your fiery red cheeks when your father finds your character!)
    For the titanite - I am sure it probably is used in some areas as a healing stone. I just like how it's green, but can also reflect other colors when light hits it. (This page talks about the hues from different angels -https://www.minerals.net/mineral/titanite.aspx )

As for witchcraft being involved... shhh, you're going to give away my secret!

If you ever have other character concepts you want me to flesh out - feel free to come post'em in here.

Hey Tawmis, you've already provided me with 2 backstories and they're both amazing! However, I was wondering if you could do one last backstory - mainly because I've been asked to DM a separate group of people and I'm fleshing out a campaign idea that I've had for ages.
    Basically, the entire campaign is based on the poem Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll. The Wikipedia page on the poem has some great "lore". The BBEG in the campaign is the Jabberwock (stat block from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight), and it's set in the kingdom of Tulgey (based on the line "Came whiffling through the tulgey wood"). I was wondering, is there any way to connect all the monsters from the poem and give them a connection to the Jabberwock? I have a list of which stat block each monster of the poem should use:
    "Slithy Toves" - Black Dragon Wyrmling
    "Borogoves" - Wynlings (from JttRC)
    "Jubjub Bird" - Tlecatecolo (from JttRC)
    "Bandersnatch" - Banderhobb
    "The Jabberwock" - Jabberwock
    Do you have a way of somehow connecting all of the monsters to the Jabberwock? The Jabberwock is of course the BBEG who needs to be killed but I don't really have any motives. Also, in the kingdom that my campaign is set in (Tulgey), the first two stanzas of the poem are told as a children's rhyme, and so obviously nobody believes any of the creatures to exist. Also, since the Jabberwock appears by the Tumtum tree in the poem, maybe in the campaign the Tumtum tree could be some form of an ancient tree that summons the Jabberwock? Could you tie that into the backstory too?
    Thanks! I hope you can think of a cool way to link the villains :)
    (and by the way, it doesn't need to be written from a 1st-person-perspective)
    Heh. Can't say I ever tried to match up any background to an existing story or poem...
    Especially a nonsense poem... that added quite a bit of difficulty to figure out how to tell this...
    So I ended up going with the telling of the story from a bard's perspective (I am sure you will catch the reference to the Bard's name... should be obvious)...
    And did it as if he was telling a story to an audience (the adventurers about to partake? Or perhaps this is an entry in the bard's journal?)
    Anyway... you can take what I wrote and reforge it if it doesn't work - but managed to tap all the things you had wanted...
    And added some extra stuff for the party to potentially encounter as well...
    I'd love feedback because this was really a very odd one to write.
    Enjoy!

Perhaps you’ve heard the story of beauty and the beast? No, no – not that one. This one is as old as time and deals with the Tulgey Kingdom – specifically the Tulgey Forest. Or, what was a forest anyway. It’s more of a swamp now.

Oh. Who am I, you ask? I suppose I should introduce myself that is the proper thing. My name is Lewus Kharroll. Some would call me a poet… a singer… a story teller. I just call myself Lewus.

The story I am about to tell you, surrounding the Kingdom of Tulgey, is one that will send shivers down your spin. The story begins with a Dryad by the name of Ailleacht. She is said to be the most beautiful being in all the world; that even the very gods who gazed down upon the world were envious of the beauty she possessed.

One day, the King, riding in his carriage protected by his military of King’s Guards, rode through the Tulgey Forest and Ailleacht saw the human king and took a liking to him. However, the good King was happily married, and despite Ailleacht’s undeniable beauty, the good King kindly declined her offer to visit her home and experience “pleasure greater than any could know.”

Ailleacht was outraged. None had ever turned her down. She could have the love of the gods, if she wanted! So, in her anger, she cursed the Tulgey Forest – and as such, the Tulgey Kingdom which sat deep in the middle of the woods.

She opened a barrier into the darkest corner of the Feywild, and pulled forth the much dreaded Jabberwock! I can see you’ve not heard of what a Jabberwock is! Well, avid listener – allow me to educate you in the darkness of the Jabberwock! A jabberwock is a solitary, volatile hunter that haunts pristine forests and ancient ruins – and in doing so begins to rapidly bring the darkness from which it comes into the woods it haunts! As such, these once lush forests that were well known for their beauty had begun to turn dark and murky. Endless fields of green and roses were now swamp water and fallen tree stumps. Lush green tree tops were now entwined by dying vines. The corruption the jabberwock brought created temporal portals to the feywild that attracted other such creatures… boggles, while cute in their own little way, began to call these woods their home; spreading their oily substance… the wildlife itself began to change… normal rats were changed into brigganocks, altered by the feywild magic seeping into the swampy forest, while the mice were turned into wynlings … bullywugs soon began to populate the swampy area… and they even say a band of gnomes who had been traveling through the woods were corrupted by the dark magic of the feywild that the jabberwock brought with it, changing these once innocent loving gnomes into redcaps, who were now bent on murder…

The beauty of Ailleacht revealed that deep in her soul was a dark beast that reigned…

She watched what was her home for thousands of years, change rapidly before her eyes, and she felt no pity. All she could think of was how this would ruin the King’s lands and destroy and curse his Kingdom.

This eventually drew the attention of a Black Dragon wyrmling, because Black Dragons favored swamps as their home. This young black dragon named Slithy Toves could sense the jabberwock and kept his distance from the foul creature… but Slithy Toves’ presence only helped corrupt the land further… Bandersnatch toads and frogs around the murky waters around the Black Dragon wymling began to change and grow in size, distorted by the darkness… and became banderhobbs…

With so much darkness seeping into the land, and Ailleacht blind to her own fury and pettiness, was soon beginning to change… the once beautiful Dryad was now beginning to represent the very darkness within her … the very darkness she’d brought into the lands… and she was becoming a hag… even her favorite bird, one that resembled an owl – that she said to have always turned to for wisdom, had been changed by the darkness… the Jubjub Bird had become the much dreaded tlacatecolo… a cursed owl like creature of pure darkness… Still this was not enough for Ailleacht to undo the curse… she only became further enraged that her most trusted ally had fallen victim to the curse – all of which, she continued to blame on the human King who had denied her…

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, Hades Hath No Fury Like A Dryad Scorned? No? Well, that’s how the saying goes…

So why am I telling you this tragic tale of a scorned Dryad?

Because, you, my captivated audience, are about to do something to help break that curse.

No pressure what so ever, of course.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2023-01-27 at 05:03 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Heh. Can't say I ever tried to match up any background to an existing story or poem...
    Especially a nonsense poem... that added quite a bit of difficulty to figure out how to tell this...
    So I ended up going with the telling of the story from a bard's perspective (I am sure you will catch the reference to the Bard's name... should be obvious)...
    And did it as if he was telling a story to an audience (the adventurers about to partake? Or perhaps this is an entry in the bard's journal?)
    Anyway... you can take what I wrote and reforge it if it doesn't work - but managed to tap all the things you had wanted...
    And added some extra stuff for the party to potentially encounter as well...
    I'd love feedback because this was really a very odd one to write.
    Enjoy!

Perhaps you’ve heard the story of beauty and the beast? No, no – not that one. This one is as old as time and deals with the Tulgey Kingdom – specifically the Tulgey Forest. Or, what was a forest anyway. It’s more of a swamp now.

Oh. Who am I, you ask? I suppose I should introduce myself that is the proper thing. My name is Lewus Kharroll. Some would call me a poet… a singer… a story teller. I just call myself Lewus.

The story I am about to tell you, surrounding the Kingdom of Tulgey, is one that will send shivers down your spin. The story begins with a Dryad by the name of Ailleacht. She is said to be the most beautiful being in all the world; that even the very gods who gazed down upon the world were envious of the beauty she possessed.

One day, the King, riding in his carriage protected by his military of King’s Guards, rode through the Tulgey Forest and Ailleacht saw the human king and took a liking to him. However, the good King was happily married, and despite Ailleacht’s undeniable beauty, the good King kindly declined her offer to visit her home and experience “pleasure greater than any could know.”

Ailleacht was outraged. None had ever turned her down. She could have the love of the gods, if she wanted! So, in her anger, she cursed the Tulgey Forest – and as such, the Tulgey Kingdom which sat deep in the middle of the woods.

She opened a barrier into the darkest corner of the Feywild, and pulled forth the much dreaded Jabberwock! I can see you’ve not heard of what a Jabberwock is! Well, avid listener – allow me to educate you in the darkness of the Jabberwock! A jabberwock is a solitary, volatile hunter that haunts pristine forests and ancient ruins – and in doing so begins to rapidly bring the darkness from which it comes into the woods it haunts! As such, these once lush forests that were well known for their beauty had begun to turn dark and murky. Endless fields of green and roses were now swamp water and fallen tree stumps. Lush green tree tops were now entwined by dying vines. The corruption the jabberwock brought created temporal portals to the feywild that attracted other such creatures… boggles, while cute in their own little way, began to call these woods their home; spreading their oily substance… the wildlife itself began to change… normal rats were changed into brigganocks, altered by the feywild magic seeping into the swampy forest, while the mice were turned into wynlings … bullywugs soon began to populate the swampy area… and they even say a band of gnomes who had been traveling through the woods were corrupted by the dark magic of the feywild that the jabberwock brought with it, changing these once innocent loving gnomes into redcaps, who were now bent on murder…

The beauty of Ailleacht revealed that deep in her soul was a dark beast that reigned…

She watched what was her home for thousands of years, change rapidly before her eyes, and she felt no pity. All she could think of was how this would ruin the King’s lands and destroy and curse his Kingdom.

This eventually drew the attention of a Black Dragon wyrmling, because Black Dragons favored swamps as their home. This young black dragon named Slithy Toves could sense the jabberwock and kept his distance from the foul creature… but Slithy Toves’ presence only helped corrupt the land further… Bandersnatch toads and frogs around the murky waters around the Black Dragon wymling began to change and grow in size, distorted by the darkness… and became banderhobbs…

With so much darkness seeping into the land, and Ailleacht blind to her own fury and pettiness, was soon beginning to change… the once beautiful Dryad was now beginning to represent the very darkness within her … the very darkness she’d brought into the lands… and she was becoming a hag… even her favorite bird, one that resembled an owl – that she said to have always turned to for wisdom, had been changed by the darkness… the Jubjub Bird had become the much dreaded tlacatecolo… a cursed owl like creature of pure darkness… Still this was not enough for Ailleacht to undo the curse… she only became further enraged that her most trusted ally had fallen victim to the curse – all of which, she continued to blame on the human King who had denied her…

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, Hades Hath No Fury Like A Dryad Scorned? No? Well, that’s how the saying goes…

So why am I telling you this tragic tale of a scorned Dryad?

Because, you, my captivated audience, are about to do something to help break that curse.

No pressure what so ever, of course.
    Oh. My. God. That is probably the best backstory ever...I am amazed. Thank you for helping me with this, I love the way you connected the Jabberwock to the creatures of the Feywild!

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

My backstory. Rune Knight. Fighter. vHuman. Custom Background (March Warden)
    Spoiler: March warden
    Show
    You were in an elite border /militia/raiding force patrolling the marches between Byssia and the neighboring lands. Men, half elves, and wood elves made up the company. You had frequent contact with giants and goliaths, and the peoples of Auringon; not all contacts were hostile, but not all contacts were friendly (Our patrol camp was once nearly overrun by hungry owlbear. I have a claw to remember that near disaster by).
    Feature: (Wanderer, just like Outlander)
    Personality Traits: (a) I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn to my encamped detachment of an approaching goblinoid hostile raid. I’d do it again if I had to.
    (b) I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry Owlbear.
    Ideal: Honor. If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan. (Lawful)
    Bond. I suffer awful visions of a coming Disaster and will do anything to prevent it.
    Flaw: I am too enamored of ale, wine, and other intoxicants.
    ==================which led to this backstory======================

My name isn’t Beau Janglez, but I drinks a bit.

I started drinking the spirit of the rye when the wet dreams were replaced by the dreams of disaster, just after my 17th summer began. After the third sleepless night where I was bathed in sweat and fear, I began to sneak into the upper loft and partake of Pa's flask of spirit of the rye.
    Pa and Uncle Firkun distilled it up in the highlands, and uncle's shack, well above the rolling terrain where our homestead was established.
    Out of habit, and the success of sneaking a bit here and there, I acquired a taste for the spirit of the rye. Being less than wise I snuck too many sips and was discovered by Pa in the midst of swallowing a glorious dram.
    Pa knew better than to beat me: I was bigger and stronger, but he knew why I did it - after the interrogation Ma had subjected me to the week before. She was a disciple of the Church of Night Reborn.

My first nightmare had caused damage to our barn, where I slept with the oxen and the donkeys, to the extent of numerous boards being broken as I battled dream demons that were not there. Ma was more spiritually gifted than Pa, and left no question unasked in an attempt to discover why I erupted into sleepwalking violence night after night. I had no answer, which pleased her not.
    As Pa had always said “You need a good night’s sleep to be a worthwhile farmer, or you’ll hurt yourself or others. Get some rest!” But I could not. The visions of disaster visited me every night, unless the blessed rye chased them off.

When the levy call came that fall, Pa raised no objection to me being inducted into the regional militia. The other four who entered with me had families who fought tooth and nail to keep them out, but the regional judges had ruled against them.

We were worked so hard that most nights I couldn’t dream, but when I did, the disastrous visions returned. I learned who kept a vial or a flask of spirits in their pack, and learned how to acquire a dram here and there. When we got our pay, I always made sure to get a portion to keep the dreams away. I applied myself as well as I could, to make Ma and Pa proud of me – me, their sot of a son.

The March Wardens noticed my aptitude for battle and mayhem, as well as my knack for moving about unobserved, and offered me a place. A March Warden! The defenders of Byssia’s borders. Me. I could hardly believe my good fortune!

For two years I roved, marched, raided, fought and negotiated with them. But as had become my habit I drank a bit too much. In a hamlet outside of New Nochthia I broke the jaw of a bouncer at a tavern who didn’t care for the attentions that the barmaid, his sweetheart, lavished upon me. His objection led to a brawl, and that brawl led to my release.

The Captain sat me down, handed me my last pay, and suggested I pursue the mercenary trade.
    Puzzled, I asked him why. Had I not fulfilled my oath?
    He nodded, and told me “Yes, you have fulfilled your oath. The problem is, when you drink you can’t tell between our enemies and the phantasms you wish to defeat.” He paused. “This is the third time you have done violence – thankfully non-fatal, which with your strength is always a risk – to someone who your mind’s eye painted as an enemy.”

I was about to object when I saw the truth of his point. This was the third time I’d had to see the Captain for a laxity in discipline. Most others rarely had to seem him once, and almost nobody had to see him twice. This was my third time, and as the third son of a third son I saw the justice of his decision.

Before the next sunrise, I was out of the bivouac and headed east. I caught on with a caravan braving the risks of the Windwalkers. Nobody in that group minded my drinking, but when we got to the plains in the southwest of the Crisial Kingdom, my contract was not renewed. They paid me off, gave me a bottle of spirits, and wished me well.

My next job involved chasing down and killing cattle thieves. I was effective, but I was once again given my pay, a bottle, and a kind invitation to head to a city, like Rauviz, where my talents would me pay well and where I’d not be a bother to them or their villages.

I’d been dry and dream-cursed for three days when I arrived at the gates of Rauviz. The pikemen at the gate looked me over with some care, and asked me my profession. My reply was terse.
    “Sellsword and farmer.”
    The guard captain stepped out of the gatehouse, laughing.
    “We’ve no need of farmers here, lad, but someone will certainly want your axe under their command. Five silvers to enter, and know that we prefer combat within the city walls to be unarmed.”

The five silvers were in his hand before the two guardsmen could react. I smiled.

“Such a warm welcome, Captain, to your fair city. What tavern would you suggest, for a man with a taste for the spirit of the rye?”
    His eyebrows rose slightly.
    “Seek ye the Sign of the Rampant Griffon. You’ll find oblivion, spirit, and much else there.”

I offered him my best salute and headed into Rauviz. Who and what, I wondered, might I meet at the Sign of the Rampant Griffon? The only way to find out was to put one foot in front of the other…but first, I must needs slake my thirst.

I drinks a bit.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-01-30 at 02:51 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #1045

Oh. My. God. That is probably the best backstory ever...I am amazed. Thank you for helping me with this, I love the way you connected the Jabberwock to the creatures of the Feywild!
    Hah! Awesome. That one was quite weird to write up to an existing poem. :)

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    My backstory. Rune Knight. Fighter. vHuman. Custom Background (March Warden)
    Spoiler: March warden
    Show
    You were in an elite border /militia/raiding force patrolling the marches between Byssia and the neighboring lands. Men, half elves, and wood elves made up the company. You had frequent contact with giants and goliaths, and the peoples of Auringon; not all contacts were hostile, but not all contacts were friendly (Our patrol camp was once nearly overrun by hungry owlbear. I have a claw to remember that near disaster by).
    Feature: (Wanderer, just like Outlander)
    Personality Traits: (a) I once ran twenty-five miles without stopping to warn to my encamped detachment of an approaching goblinoid hostile raid. I’d do it again if I had to.
    (b) I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry Owlbear.
    Ideal: Honor. If I dishonor myself, I dishonor my whole clan. (Lawful)
    Bond. I suffer awful visions of a coming Disaster and will do anything to prevent it.
    Flaw: I am too enamored of ale, wine, and other intoxicants.
    Hah! I was super confused when I initially read this... because you'd already written up a background.
    I don't mind you posting the background in the thread, but clearly don't need me to write one up for ya! :)

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Hah! Awesome. That one was quite weird to write up to an existing poem. :)

Hah! I was super confused when I initially read this... because you'd already written up a background.
    I don't mind you posting the background in the thread, but clearly don't need me to write one up for ya! :)
    I was all excited when a new campaign was announced this weekend, and after mulling over what to play, came up with the Rune Knight and what resulted was this character. So I thought I'd share it with you as it's thematic to what you are doing. Hope you enjoyed it. Would you rather I put the bulk of it in a spoiler so as to avoid visual clutter?
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2023-01-30 at 02:50 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #1047

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I was all excited when a new campaign was announced this weekend, and after mulling over what to play, came up with the Rune Knight and what resulted was this character. So I thought I'd share it with you as it's thematic to what you are doing. Hope you enjoyed it. Would you rather I put the bulk of it in a spoiler so as to avoid visual clutter?
    Hah, no. Was absolutely fine as was! Like I said, just saw the flaws, bonds, etc - and kept reading, thinking it was a brief summary of the character.
    By the time I got to the end, it was a good read and was clear you didn't need me to write the character for it. So I was briefly confused. :D But enjoyed the read!

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah - I took this one for a different kind of spin. Wrote it from her perspective - but also injected so much personality (as she 'talks to herself') in the telling of this story.
    She has a ton of inner dialogue with herself that just began coming out as I wrote this...
    Definitely influenced by the incredible (I laughed so much!) Hero Forge image you have of her.
    That spunk and fun was everywhere in that image and it poured itself right into this story.
    I think I hit all the beats you wanted!
    I would love some feedback on this one because it's quite different!
    Enjoy!
    Sorry for the wait on my response, just wanted to make sure I had the time to detail it properly, the effort it deserves. Honestly, when I was putting this down, I was genuinely hoping it would provide you a slightly different perspective from which to approach. You've received plenty of practice and I thought I could pose the challenge in a less common fashion.

I'm glad my Hero Forge link was able to inspire and excite you, as per the goal! It's a small way I can try to pay you back for the impressive work you consistently express here. It even took me a few weeks to get used to it, really! It's one of my favorites (and I have a lot).

Spoiler: Brunhilda's Story
    Show

It’s funny when your life is on the line how quickly you can make some life changing decisions.

My name is Brunhilda – and don’t be fooled by my size. Just because I am a gnome doesn’t mean when the floor drops beneath my feet my neck won’t snap. Now, one might ask how I ended up here? Is it some evil king who hangs people for the spectacle of it all?

No, just the opposite of that, really. King Jaros is well loved. Quite loved, as a matter of fact. That’s pretty much how I ended up here.

You see, all my life, I’ve been what some would call a thief. (I, personally, prefer the “Rogue” - it doesn’t sound as bad). I am often hired to try and… acquire things for high paying individuals. Sometimes someone will challenge me to try and acquire something. Sometimes, something catches my eye and I try to acquire it. (I don’t like to say stealing… because that makes me sound like a thief!)

Well something that had caught my eye was the Heart Gem – a gift given by the Elves of Emerald Wood. The forest was named Emerald Wood, because, as you might guess – the forests were lush and green, no matter the season. However, in the very heart of the forest was an ancient treant named Thousand Oaks, and from time to time, he would pull from the depths of his roots the most beautiful of gems that were buried far beneath the ground. There’s a story - I am not entirely sure I believe it – that Thousand Oak is the oldest tree in all of the world, planted by the Elven Goddess herself, and that his roots reach throughout the world and spring forth in the form of all the forests in all the lands.

Like I said, I am not sure I believe all of that – but, there’s no denying that Thousand Oaks exists – I’ve seen him (I think it’s a him? Do Treants have gender? I am not sure. He, it, has a very deep voice, so I have always called Thousand Oak a “him.” Maybe “it” is the proper pronoun? That seems insensitive. I think I will stick with “him”).

I am getting off track – at any rate, Thousand Oak gave the Elf King a red gem that, from the ground itself, looked to already be in the shape of a heart. The Elf King, in turn, gave this to King Jaros, because King Jaros had marched his own army against the goblin threat that had made its way towards the Emerald Forest. The war against the goblins had lasted four years and the Elf King wanted to show his appreciation and explained, “The heart of my people are forever in your debt, King Jaros, and so I give you this precious gem.”

King Jaros had inlaid that gem into the front of his crown, to honor the Elf King, so that all could gaze upon it. So it’s kind of his fault – flaunting the gem the way he did, that it caught my eye.

Well, one thing I hadn’t taken into account (mostly because I hadn’t heard) is that the Elf King had also given King Jaros a blink dog as a gift. I’d seen the dog – laying outside of King Jaros’ door, in the hallway, door was closed. So when I snuck in through the window, directly into King Jaros’ room – I was certain it would be fine. However, the Blink Dog had picked up my scent and blinked into the room and began barking, which awoke King Jaros, with my hand on the crown, trying to pry the gem loose – and when I bolted for the window, realizing everything was going sideways – the blink dog teleported in front of the window and growled at me – and before I knew it, six of the King’s Guards were on top of me and I was arrested.

Now, despite me explaining I was just intending to steal the Heart Gem, there was no denying I was right next to the King’s bed, dagger in hand, so they thought I was there to assassinate the King. (I can see how there might have been some confusion… being called a “thief” I can tolerate… but an assassin? Look at me! Do I look like an assassin? Well, I suppose most assassins don’t look like assassins or else they wouldn’t be good assassins… OK, I can see how they might come to the conclusion I was there to assassinate the king).

So we come to my hanging – the noose around my neck, the lever about to be pulled – and that’s when destiny would intervene and I would him – another gnome, magic-type by the looks of what he was wearing (muted browns and greens – druid is my guess). His name is Roland.

Roland turned to King Jaros, “My lord, perhaps there is use of her unique skills.”

King Jaros turned to face Roland, “What do you mean?”

“The goblin army,” Roland explained. “While they’ve been defeated and retreated away from the Emerald Forest, there is still a very large presence of goblins located in the Asheron Mountains. Someone as skilled as this one,” Roland gestured towards me with a nod of his head, “if we can get her to agree to scout the caves – perhaps get the rough number of remaining goblins, or perhaps to uncover what their next move is…”

“She’s a thief,” King Jaros shook his head.

“I prefer ‘Rogue’, my liege,” I shouted back, realizing perhaps that wasn’t the best time to intervene what I preferred to be called. I saw Roland chuckle, however.

King Jaros looked from me to Roland and back to me. “How do we know that she wouldn’t just run off the moment we take her down from the galley?”

“We can get Dazirw to cast a spell on her that would allow him to always scry wherever she goes and she knows you have infinite resources and are loved by all. If she ran there’s nowhere she could go where we couldn’t send someone to find her,” Roland explained.

King Jaros paused and shouted, “Would you agree to these terms?”

Listen, I don’t like being anyone’s lap dog – I’m looking at you, Blink Dog, sitting happily next to King Jaros – but I’d rather do that than have my neck snapped. “I agree! Happily, my liege!”

“So be it, remove the noose and bring her forth,” King Jaros demanded.

The following day, Dazirw came to the cell I was in and cast some kind of rune around my wrist and showed how – no matter where I went, just as they had said, he could see me. (I felt this was a violation of some privacy – there were private times I would need and knowing that some Human wizard could see me was a little unnerving). However, as I said – better than getting my neck snapped.

I made my way to Asheron Mountain and made my way inside the goblin infested caves and allowed myself to get captured. I explained to the goblins (by the way, they’re a filthy lot – and I am now debating if maybe the neck snap might have been the better choice here) that I had information on King Jaros and his kingdom – having recently escaped – and if the goblins wanted revenge, I could help make it happen. They were thrilled with this idea. I knew Dazirw would be scrying me so I used that to my advantage. I explained, exactly where I would lead the goblins to be able to get inside the fortress of King Jaros. Within three days, the goblins marched, in full force to the location – which, as I anticipated, Dazirw had informed King Jaros of what I’d said.

I wasn’t betraying King Jaros. Just the opposite. I had led the goblins into an ambush where King Jaros’ military force managed to kill and capture the majority of the goblins who had survived the previous war. I saw Roland there, as a part of King Jaros’ forces and watched, with admiration, how he used his druidic powers to help ensnare the goblins and prevent them from retreating. After that, King Jaros had invited me to dinner to celebrate my victory – and it was there, he gave me a full pardon. What came next was a surprise – he offered me a position in his military and said, Roland had recommended it. Honest work? For a King? Doing what I love? It’d be different.

I accepted the position.

Roland and I grew closer and closer as the days and weeks went on, eventually developing a relationship and being wed. The amount of people who showed up was astonishing – because King Jaros himself had made it a massive spectacle. I met royalty from the Dwarven and Elven Kingdoms. (I assure you, despite some very fine jewels; I kept my hands in my pockets and didn’t acquire anything).

I became King Jaros’ favorite spy and rapidly rose through the ranks of his military force. Roland and I grew closer and closer and he began showing me how even I could learn to weave the ways of magic to help benefit my own skills as the King’s spy.

After years of service to King Jaros, Roland and I had a child; a beautiful son. That’s when King Jaros told me my days as his spy were over, and that I was to focus on being a mother and the High Advisor to the agency of spies he had. This allowed me to focus on being a mother and keeping my position with the King’s military. It was just a year later, I gave birth to a daughter.

As the years rolled by, both son and daughter followed in our footsteps. They joined King Jaros’ military and were well loved by both Roland and I, but by King Jaros as well. In all my life, prior to the day I was almost hung, I’d never truly known love. That’s why I became a Rogue – I knew I was acquiring things back then because my life had been devoid of love and I wanted these things around me to make me feel loved.

Now I had two children, an incredible husband, and a King who sincerely loved me and my family.
    My wife and I read through this together. It's a character I've had for quite some time. All the information I gave you up front is what I've had established for all the time. I never really went any further in depth with it than that though. Naturally, I reach out to someone with a greater expertise to just take what's there and let it flow. It also helps when different perspectives come together and inspire one another.

I'll start at the beginning. I never really viewed her as a sort of thief rogue, but this makes perfect sense to establish the path that I decided upon, in several notes that you addressed exceptionally well. I mean, she does have a fair amount of fancy rose-gold accessories.

Roland is such a wise and wonderful individual. I never mentioned this to you, but most of his Druid capabilities have always been utilized for the greater good. He established relationships with his knowledge and always used exceptional moral judgement. He only gets really serious when necessary. You captured this based on context around the other information. Nicely done, I wouldn't have him any other way.

The attitude and military tactics were so accurate to the way I've portrayed her. I believe I certainly gave you enough to figure that out. However, the origin of that was another note that you absolutely nailed in your own regard. I'm not sure any other circumstance could have been conducted in a greater fashion. What an exceptional way to start out that career, just by being downright clever. It definitely reflects the Intellect worthy of an Arcane Trickster.

The love: Filling one's life with materialism evolving into the ultimate family aspect was a really cool way to end. It brought the entire thing full circle and it's the reason I read the entire thing 14 times instead of just 10. It was so wholesome and something I actually needed in my life right now. Thanks for that.

I do have one note that doesn't follow suit to all the previous statements of grandeur. There was one note I'm still searching for. She's got all this history and so many wonderful things to hold onto. She couldn't be happier and has led what many aspire to and define as a full life. Of course that doesn't correlate to any desire to end it. Why then, does she choose to step out and adventure further? When I start with her, all of this is in the past, and she's still got plenty of time ahead. Maybe she's just looking to recruit more people into the folds of what family really means? Perhaps she's just on the way in between preexisting family visits. I could even see continuing on as a consultant for more behind the scenes military action because she got bored.

That was the only note I didn't really see, but it doesn't even remotely change all of the other questions you answered for me. I already liked what she had going on, but now I'm so much more invested in her story and her family. Excellent work, I shall return.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    Sorry for the wait on my response, just wanted to make sure I had the time to detail it properly, the effort it deserves. Honestly, when I was putting this down, I was genuinely hoping it would provide you a slightly different perspective from which to approach. You've received plenty of practice and I thought I could pose the challenge in a less common fashion.

I'm glad my Hero Forge link was able to inspire and excite you, as per the goal! It's a small way I can try to pay you back for the impressive work you consistently express here. It even took me a few weeks to get used to it, really! It's one of my favorites (and I have a lot).

I do have one note that doesn't follow suit to all the previous statements of grandeur. There was one note I'm still searching for. She's got all this history and so many wonderful things to hold onto. She couldn't be happier and has led what many aspire to and define as a full life. Of course that doesn't correlate to any desire to end it. Why then, does she choose to step out and adventure further? When I start with her, all of this is in the past, and she's still got plenty of time ahead. Maybe she's just looking to recruit more people into the folds of what family really means? Perhaps she's just on the way in between preexisting family visits. I could even see continuing on as a consultant for more behind the scenes military action because she got bored.

That was the only note I didn't really see, but it doesn't even remotely change all of the other questions you answered for me. I already liked what she had going on, but now I'm so much more invested in her story and her family. Excellent work, I shall return.
    So, the reason I didn't delve into why she might have come out of retirement, I wasn't sure if she was going to be an NPC or an actual played character (considering her age, based on the Hero Forge character!) But one, especially her - doesn't let age define us. So the easiest thing, based on what I've set up - given the information you've given me - the reason she could (and would) probably come out of retirement is someone has done something to her family - whether her direct family, or the King's family - and she's either gone out to find out who and why, or gone out to get revenge, if it's something that's darker.

I wasn't sure (like I said if she was going to be an NPC), or if this is for a pre-determined adventure (Storm King's Thunder, Curse of Strhad, etc.), which I could use something to lean into.

Regardless if you want more for her story, let me know what YOU know of the adventure ahead - and I will gladly revisit her and Roland. :)

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Orc in the Playground

Name: Oszi Extaminos (I dont know if yuan-ti houses has surnames or just the name of the house) of House Extaminos (Cover name: Belan Pekan, mostly known by this name)

Race: Yuan-ti (Human-like with forked tongue)

Allignment: LE

Background: Witherbloom Student (think more of a Yuan-ti school)
    note points:
    - Grew up in a temple of House Extaminos in Ankhwood
    - Close with brothers
    - Got education in the temple (education got cut short because of the attack)
    - Our temple got attacked by adventurers
    - Got orphaned at 13
    - We were unsure where to go, as we were left behind.
    - Traveled to Ankahpur, we started doing small time crime stealing. We eventually got really good at it. Found out a cover as a adventuring party was a great idea
    - Got offered warlock powers from Queen of Air and Darkness
    - Our teenage years were used on helping people as a cover, stealing during the night, killing other adventurers when we get the chance.
    - Brother Severes is a mystic and he's the brains of the group, Oszi is not the smartest but very sneaky, Zalvex is the brawn a paladin of vengeance
    - Good standing with Shadowthieves guild in Ankahpur
    - Traveled by boat to Waterdeep, after a bad interaction with the locals. (This is where the campaign starts)

Class: Archfey Warlock 1

Personality traits:
    If family is in trouble, I'm always willing to help
    I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplations, becoming oblivious to my surroundings

Ideals:

Bonds:
    My brothers and me have a serious grudge with adventurers and do not hesitate to take an opportunity to kill the competition.

Flaws:
    I'm too greedy for my own good. I can't resist taking a risk if there's money involved.