New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VII: LA LA Land

Wouldn't Psychic Warrior also work? The Wisdom bonus helps, and Psychic Warriors have powers for either to-hit or damage, depending on which you need.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wouldn't Psychic Warrior also work? The Wisdom bonus helps, and Psychic Warriors have powers for either to-hit or damage, depending on which you need.
    Ya these do well as psychic warrior and ardents.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also, Psionic Lion's Charge is quite useful. (EDIT: Missed that they have natural pounce. Yeah, they're even better than I thought).

Definite +1 here.
    Last edited by Unavenger; 2019-08-29 at 01:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I don't think you need damage, just to hit.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

5. - Top - End - #575

SamuraiGuy

I don't think you need much more damage, just to hit. You have 4 arms and pounce, something most Uberchargers would love, or seek out at first posibility.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

6. - Top - End - #576

Pick up Leap Attack if you're going the charge/pounce route. Might even be able to talk a DM into waiving the Jump ranks prereq on account of your racial bonus. Even if you can't, still worth it - even a standing start is basically automatic for short distances (ie, minimum distance for Leap Attack).
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sitting out the kreen vote. I can't discount the large number of posters who've said +1 (including from actual practice!), but I also can't take the time and attention right now to build a comparison and see for myself why.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #578
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread VII: LA LA Land

Udoroot

Last week we had a low-HD, conveniently humanoid, relatively unproblematic monster with an universally agreed-upon LA? Time for a sessile plant that messes with the action economy.

Udoroots are Huge-sized subterranean bulbs, whose six crowns can sense other creatures with blindsight and manifest psychic powers. The crowns don't share the root's HP pool, and instead are sunderable objects with 7 HP and hardness 5.

Like all plants, they're immune to electricity and resistant to fire and ice. They also have some natural armor and small bonuses to constitution, wisdom, and charisma (in addition to a -6 intelligence penalty).

The first problem: as mentioned above udoroots can't move. I guess one could be transported by an ox cart, or put on a few mid-level floating disks, or given movement through some obscure template, but even then its mobility is going to be very limited compared to other characters.

Udoroots have a number of psionic powers, of which the most notable ones are probably at-will False Sensory Input, at-will Mind Thrust, at-will Telekinetic Force, and 3/day Astral Construct. As long as at least two of the six crowns remain, the udoroot can use two PLAs a round.

While the concept of a giant psychic plant is cool, and two PLAs a turn are some serious firepower, the udoroot is simply too reliant on its frail crowns to actually do anything. A few sunder attempts, or an area attack or two, and the party is down a team member.

There's also the issues of poor object manipulation, terrible mobility, and difficulty using magic items. Considering all of those, the udoroot deserves -0 LA. I could slap on an asterisk for the inability to move, but that's not game-breaking as much as just really annoying.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2019-08-31 at 08:28 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need?

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #579

LA-0 for the wannabe Lotus-Eater Machine. Not much to work with, considering its limitations, and its primary draw being dependent on slowly regrowing crowns that are liable to get destroyed incidentally by AoE spells; let alone as primary targets. It leaves this thing in the dumpster tagged as unsuitable for even the most adventurous PCs.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2019-08-30 at 09:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Well if you have other PLAs or at least up the ML of the powers you could get something out of this, but not for long I guess.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #581

-0. Too many issues, not enough oomph.

12. - Top - End - #582

MindFlayer

-0. Good power, but oh so very fragile. Practically unplayable until you have unrestricted access to a fast time Demiplane.

13. - Top - End - #583

Concur, LA -0.

They're an interesting gimmick encounter as a monster ... kind of. But the crowns are just way too vulnerable, and get replaced way too slowly.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

very cool concept but to many issues to make them work. The fact in and of itself that they are blind past 60' and can't move means they should be very easy to kill for anything that recognizes them -0 LA
    Last edited by liquidformat; 2019-08-30 at 02:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585

-0 for the wannabe mandrake. Way too many problems, too reliant on an easily disabled mechanism, and just not worth the hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Like all plants, they're immune to electricity and resistant to ice and fire.
    They're resistant to songs of ice and fire, but how would they fare against games of thrones?

I could slap on an asterisk for the inability to move, but that's not game-breaking as much as just really annoying.
    If being really annoying was enough for an asterisk, kender would have at least three.

I don't have anything interesting to say relevant to the udon root or whatever it's called. It's a monster designed as a unique boss fight without regard to how it might function outside a boss arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

So many "ifs" about this. If the PLAs scaled. If it had an int bonus like its other mental stats. If it were smaller. Tempting to give an asterisk just for needing to move around a huge subterranean bulb because that is somehow more tricky than moving a dryer's tree. But a regular -0 seems fair.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

I think this might be the least PC-friendly option since the vasuthant.

In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Like all plants, they're immune to electricity and resistant to fire and ice.
    As a Pokémon fan, this statement hurts me.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    As a Pokémon fan, this statement hurts me.
    Worse still, they're immune to poison. Poison just can't catch a break.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

21. - Top - End - #591

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    I don't have anything interesting to say relevant to the udon root or whatever it's called. It's a monster designed as a unique boss fight without regard to how it might function outside a boss arena.
    Except it's appallingly crappy as a boss fight.
    The not-flowers are just too fragile. Hardness 5, 7 hp.
    It's only a problem if you botch the Knowledge(Nature) check to know what it is. And that you have to use the Sunder action on it, if your casters aren't willing (or able) to kill it with fire magic.
    Then again, it is a plant. "Kill it with fire" should probably be considered a reasonably safe assumption, even without the knowledge check.
    Although without the knowledge check, the party might not dig up the underground portion to finish off. On the other hand, there won't be any new crowns for a month, and it's unlikely that the party will still be in the area ... or low enough level to be bothered by it.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hmm. Two levels of Totemist for at-will move action teleport. Maybe one level of Barbarian for Rage, and from there take Blazing Berserker and Frozen Berserker (and Extra Rage) to be immune to fire and cold while raging (probably not this; they're already resistant)? And then... two levels of Half-Dragon Savage Progression for immunity to Acid? And I guess from there go Ur-Priest or a martial initiator. -0

This would make a pretty cool host for Symbiotic Creature. As a huge plant, you don't even need any shenanigans to bolt a typical humanoid character onto one, and the backstory practically writes itself (humanoid/animal/[guest creature] lures prey into the Udoroot to feed on/loot the corpses once it kills them in a traditional symbiotic relationship that evolves into Symbiotic Creature template over time).

Actually, one thing that would be cool. Double Manifest is subject to psionic/magic transparency, right? So you could cast two spell-like abilities through it per turn? Warlock just became this monster's go-to class. That's the equivalent of an [Epic] feat, and one that's typically considered one of the best for Warlocks. And a Warlock Udoroot could use Flee the Scene to move around when not blasting. Now you just need a way to fix its horrible squishiness (a better way than the one I came up with up above); with that I could see this monster rising to +0 or maybe even higher. Maybe one level of the Ghost Savage Progression for incorporeality?
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2019-08-30 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

23. - Top - End - #593

LA -0 for sure. It's flowers take too long to replace and too many hoops to jump through in order to, jump.

On the flowers durability: It's actually not that easy to OHKO them with an errant fireball. Even at max CL fireball only does 10d6 damage (average 30) which actually isn't enough to kill them. Remember that they are immune to Electrical damage and take half damage from Fire/Cold attacks and have effectively DR 17 after having the damage. Yes Sonic/Acid will wreck them but the flowers can take quite a beating from fire attacks.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    LA -0 for sure. It's flowers take too long to replace and too many hoops to jump through in order to, jump.

On the flowers durability: It's actually not that easy to OHKO them with an errant fireball. Even at max CL fireball only does 10d6 damage (average 30) which actually isn't enough to kill them. Remember that they are immune to Electrical damage and take half damage from Fire/Cold attacks and have effectively DR 17 after having the damage. Yes Sonic/Acid will wreck them but the flowers can take quite a beating from fire attacks.
    Ah yes, mixed up hardness and DR there. Will fix that.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need?

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #595
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quick thing I noticed: on the LA archive, the heading that says "Expanded Psionics Handbook" has an apostrophe on "Psionics". My copy of the EPH doesn't have that, so I was wondering if it was a mistake or intentional.
    Just 14 is fine.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

Udoroots could benefit from the Miser's Fortune feat (Complete Scoundrel) to protect their crowns. Or get a casting of:
    • Augment Objects (Stronghold Builder's Handbook) to double the hardness and hp of the crowns.
    • Hardening (Spell Compendium) to grant them up to +10 hardness.
    • Minor Servitor (Savage Species) to animate the crowns as creatures.
    • Sequester to prevent the crowns from being detected.
    • Book Ward if you use PF material

Also some potential DM rulings which could improve its viability:
    • It has six crowns because it has 6 HD. A lv20 udoroot would have twenty crowns.
    • The crowns' 7 hp is actually 1 Plant HD + the udoroot's Con modifier.
    • Double Manifest extends to powers and spells it gains from other sources.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2019-08-31 at 10:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Also some potential DM rulings which could improve its viability:
    • It has six crowns because it has 6 HD. A lv20 udoroot would have twenty crowns.
    • The crowns' 7 hp is actually 1 Plant HD + the udoroot's Con modifier.
    • Double Manifest extends to powers and spells it gains from other sources.
    The first two do make a lot of sense. The third one would probably be a good addition, but thanks to psionics/magic transparency I think the Udoroot could already, as written, Double Manifest Warlock invocations (which are spell-like abilities).
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

28. - Top - End - #598

Goblin

I agree with LA +1 for the thri-kreen, though I think it's on the upper side of that.

-----

I think LA -0 is right for the udoroot.

I was looking up ways to give an udoroot a movement mode, and I came across a question. Does "Speed 0 ft" mean the udoroot doesn't have a land speed? Or does it actually count as having a base land speed of 0 ft? Because, presumably speed bonuses generally only apply to movement modes the creature already has, right? Like the Dark Creature template from Tome of Magic, which says, "As base creature, +10 ft to all modes of movement." Surely, if the base creature doesn't already have burrow, climb, fly and swim speeds, the Dark template doesn't grant them 10 ft in all of them, right? So, would it give the udoroot a base land speed of 10 ft? Or does it have no effect? I kind of think RAW favors the second, but I would probably rule the first if I DMed for an udoroot PC.

Also, if the udoroot ever wants to deliver touch attacks or something, it has a reach of 0 ft. Does that extend to its crowns, too? Or would each crown have reach as if it were a Medium creature?
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2019-08-31 at 03:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

It's cool, but a main feature that can be foiled by a non-magical weed whacker probably isn't THAT good. LA -0 for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    As attended objects, aren't they immune to AoEs?