New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1170 - The Discussion Thread

Only Loki can make ‘Hi, Pumpkin’ sound badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Noted Expert seems familiar - looks a lot like one of the Ettin Heads in How The Paladin Got His Scar.
    Thank you! I knew he looked familiar!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    Even though it's distinctly lawful, I wanna say that this was a Loki plan. It feels like a Loki plan.

Besides making for a great distraction, Thor and Loki are totally bailing out hundreds of thousands of souls right now. A century seems kinda short, actually, considering Dwarven lifespans.
    Thor said he wasn’t going to try to argue for the whole century, that tell us nothing about how far back that filing cabinet goes, nor how many more are behind that door. Get in and start the fillibusting so you can see Hel’s face as she realizes what’s happening and then let Loki do the actual fast-talking. That’s the one thing he’s actually competent at after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaleou View Post
    So if a soul is contested, would that body still work as a host for a vampire?

Is that a roundabout way to kick the vampires out of the hosts in either location with voting vampires?

I registered to post this.
    No vampire is voting on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ?

Hel's plan fails spectacularly here, and Thor & Loki are one step ahead of her.
    Which says nothing about Hela from the MCU. I am told she is indeed badass.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-07-10 at 02:19 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

aside from the one in the godsmoot they left behind

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    aside from the one in the godsmoot they left behind
    Hel's voting, not her.
    Forum Wisdom

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Hel's voting, not her.
    hels voting through her, hel needs a high priest present for her vote to count

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Except it seems reasonable to conclude that a vampire who gets kicked out of their host can no longer dominate the dwarven elders; thus, the vote would be spared.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by endiku View Post
    Not of fan of this tactic :(

Seriously; the purpose of honor and an afterlife is to reward desirable and punish undesirable behavior during life, so here we are undermining that system and rewarding cowards and the dishonorable.

Are we suggesting that the ends justify the means?

Or is it just "gosh darn it those wacky chaotic gods"

This doesn't feel consistent with the larger message.
    The larger message is "the dwarves got a raw deal." Humans in the comic openly gape at how it affected their society. "Honor" for Dwarves means not living to old age and dying peacefully. I don't see that as undesirable behavior, I see that as arbitrary standards. Literally the first example we see in this strip is a woman who died of pneumonia. How dare she, apparently.

I do agree, though, that this showcases Thor's chaoticness.
    you think a God would have any difficulty attacking a mortal? or that Thor can only make lightning apear from the sky?
    I think gods would affect the world in ways fitting with their portfolio. Thor uses lightning on the Mechane. Hel wants to go after Durkon with a heart attack.

Also, "no directly interfering" seems like a pretty toothless rule if the only drawback is "one other God gets to interfere as well." Not to mention how easily that could be gamed.
    Which says nothing about Hela from the MCU. I am told she is indeed badass.
    True, but I haven't heard anything either way. I defer to your judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by ASCIInerd73 View Post
    Except it seems reasonable to conclude that a vampire who gets kicked out of their host can no longer dominate the dwarven elders; thus, the vote would be spared.
    Assuming a single vampire, yes. We know that is not the case though.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-10 at 02:21 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I think gods would affect the world in ways fitting with their portfolio. Thor uses lightning on the Mechane. Hel wants to go after Durkon with a heart attack.
    that was thor indirectly intervening by making a thunderstorm and hel being subtle to not get caught

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    There's a line from The Vor Game, by Lois McMaster Bujold: "The key of strategy... is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."

Thor's read this book, I think. :)
    So have I, and Miles Naismith is only slightly less awesome than Miles Vorkosigan. Mind you, this doesn't bring to mind "The Vor Game" for me - it brings to mind the climax of "A Civil Campaign", which was also proving Ivan was really capable in his own way.

Also, Loki brought the Filing Cabinet of Holding, I see.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ASCIInerd73 View Post
    First, I was just being my nitpicky self.
    Second, it doesn't mater since any soul that has reached an afterlife cannot be at the same time trapped by a vampire inside their own former body for reasons that should be plainly obvious.

Also, "no directly interfering" seems like a pretty toothless rule if the only drawback is "one other God gets to interfere as well." Not to mention how easily that could be gamed.
    Assuming a single vampire, yes. We know that is not the case though.
    This already came up.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

The Gods must be crazy
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-07-10 at 02:27 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thor and Loki are the best bros.

12. - Top - End - #72

that was thor indirectly intervening by making a thunderstorm and hel being subtle to not get caught
    Which brings the number of examples in favor of my argument to >0. Do you have any examples in favor of your argument?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post

With the dishonorable death removed, those souls are now judged for their actual actions in their entire lives, including how they died.
    Hmm - I can see your point I guess - if you assume that the two examples were otherwise good - I'm not getting that from the comic.

The larger "message" I mean is that while the system may suck as implemented - honor is nevertheless important - Thor's claiming that "running away was justifiable in this case" doesn't sound very honorable in the larger sense - not just the manner of death sense.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thor and Loki, together unstoppable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    "Just because the DM lets you break the game, doesn't mean the game is broken."
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    "My Patron is Steven Spielberg"
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

15. - Top - End - #75

Indeed, that shows the rules to be quite full of teeth after the fact and more than just "the injured party can retaliate only to the same degree and then all's good."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seriously; the purpose of honor and an afterlife is to reward desirable and punish undesirable behavior during life...
    Sure, if there were such a system, then this comic would undermine it. However, that is not the purpose of this system.

This system does not reward “behavior during life.” It rewards “circumstances at the moment of death,” which is not always within the individual’s control. I don’t see much about the system in question worthy of being saved.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDave92084 View Post
    Wonder what a Chaotic Good god and a Lawful Evil god movie would look like...
    Hijinks ensue.

Not of fan of this tactic :(

Seriously; the purpose of honor and an afterlife is to reward desirable and punish undesirable behavior during life, so here we are undermining that system and rewarding cowards and the dishonorable.
    That's not my reading of Hel's Bargain (strip #1083). This was an intentional con game to reduce Hel's power and influence.

Are we suggesting that the ends justify the means?

Or is it just "gosh darn it those wacky chaotic gods"

This doesn't feel consistent with the larger message.
    The "honor" deal between Thor, Loki, and Hel was always an unfair political swindle of gods playing word games for mortal souls. I don't see that it's gotten any worse when they are now using it to save the entire world.

18. - Top - End - #78

Hmm - I can see your point I guess - if you assume that the two examples were otherwise good - I'm not getting that from the comic.

The larger "message" I mean is that while the system may suck as implemented - honor is nevertheless important - Thor's claiming that "running away was justifiable in this case" doesn't sound very honorable in the larger sense - not just the manner of death sense.
    Thor is looking at a bigger picture, as if the plan goes off - Hel gets every currently living soul. That's why he's willing to subvert the system so obviously, and this is the point where the system breaks down if she wins anyway. What is more likely to come out of this is The Bet being called off instead of being twisted into the purpose Hel is working towards.

Of course, with no Bet underlying the whole problem . . . Hel no longer has motive to agree to the world being blown up other than spite. (She'd do it, but it would benefit her not at all.)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Which brings the number of examples in favor of my argument to >0. Do you have any examples in favor of your argument?
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1082.html

2nd panel if she breaks the rules first she loses

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Why? If these two people were evil, they'll get an evil afterlife. It's not a dichotomy between Hel and Valhalla it's a dichotomy between Hel's particular corner of one of the seventeen afterlifes and the usual deal.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    Thor and Loki, Brothers, working together to block their sister
    Nope. Hel is Loki's daughter and thus, Thor's niece.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Loki and Thor are awesome when they work together.
    Well, awesomer.

„Hi Pumpkin” made me literally cackle like a madman.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2019-07-10 at 02:44 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

We don't know the larger sense. It's entirely possible Regin Greenhammer was a decent person overcome by a moment of weakness. Or maybe he wasn't. The point is: Taking exactly this last moment of his life to determine what the rest of eternity should be like for him is not in any way fair. However, by getting him out of Hel's clutches, the soul can get to the afterlife they actually deserve. Maybe that's Valhalla, maybe it's some evil plane of punishment, but it won't be Helheim. So justice is done to the souls and Hel is weakened. Win-win.
    Last edited by Cifer; 2019-07-10 at 02:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Kereminde View Post
    Thor is looking at a bigger picture, as if the plan goes off - Hel gets every currently living soul. That's why he's willing to subvert the system so obviously
    Hes willing to subvert the system so obviously long before that.

25. - Top - End - #85

Hes willing to subvert the system so obviously long before that.
    That's not subverting the system, that's doing your job advocating for what you believe. (Assuming the details are correct, and not made up, which we can't say for certain.) This one time we do know he's subverting things, knowing/guessing she won't have time to argue with him, and intentionally tying up her time arguing for souls he probably wouldn't have a right to claim otherwise.

The fact Loki is coming in behind him kinda adds to that feel of "yeah, he's subverting the system to prevent this major catastrophe from going off quite as neatly". There's still a chance it could happen, right now. (We all sort of know it's not going to happen, because narrative structure and the motion of the plot is going to suggest the Order's allies manage to stop it.) But Thor's interference with Loki is to keep Hel from doing anything "while nobody is looking", at the cost of nakedly subverting the system in place.

The benefit is, I don't think many gods are going to really get in the way of it since . . . as mentioned . . . if the world goes up, Hel becomes more powerful than the others due to the weight of souls going into Her domain.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

1. This was the funniest strip in a while.
    2. Extremely clever on Thor and Loki's part; even if the heroes lose (which I doubt will happen), Hel will likely lose a lot of power as well.
    3. Hypothetically, would dying of a heart attack directly by a god in the middle of a battle count as honorable?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

This one time we do know he's subverting things
    there was that one time he argued fighting a tree is dieing honourably

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html

28. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djagir View Post
    It's nice to see that the trickster god isn't going to be keeping things low-key.
    ... I'll allow this.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cifer View Post
    We don't know the larger sense. It's entirely possible Regin Greenhammer was a decent person overcome by a moment of weakness. Or maybe he wasn't. The point is: Taking exactly this last moment of his life to determine what the rest of eternity should be like for him is not in any way fair. However, by getting him out of Hel's clutches, the soul can get to the afterlife they actually deserve. Maybe that's Valhalla, maybe it's some evil plane of punishment, but it won't be Helheim. So justice is done to the souls and Hel is weakened. Win-win.
    I mean, it's not like we know why he ran.
    Maybe he figured the battle was lost and it was more important to inform whoever his group worked about them getting wiped out.

Or they were delivering a message or something and he tried to get it away from the orcs.

Or he was a coward and justified running with living to avenge his friends being more honourable than pointlessly dying with them.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Why? If these two people were evil, they'll get an evil afterlife. It's not a dichotomy between Hel and Valhalla it's a dichotomy between Hel's particular corner of one of the seventeen afterlifes and the usual deal.
    Hmm - well, if true that would make sense, but the way Thor is arguing implies that they were both going to Valhalla since he's arguing they died honorably...which is demonstrably (rule of funny) not true.