New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Banned

Default Re: OOTS #1171 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    But Odin also is a few crows short of a murder.
    Well, it's not certain he was when he made the prophecy--Thor did say he had his good days--and if he were, that's just another reason why the prophesy is the way it is aside from "conservation of detail."

2. - Top - End - #542
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I wonder if the other vampires are dusted already..

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Forcibly drag the vampires out? He's both the most powerful cleric and one of the only ones actually equipped for melee combat, so its not out of the question that he just beats them until they have to mist out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I would think that would be against Dwarven Law and thus get him turned to stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Would it though? Vampires are classic monsters, and given the near-constant state of conflict the dwarves seem to be in, with trees if nothing else, it seems unlikely to me that there aren't provisions for going out and picking a fight with a monster, especially for the protection of your home.
    Idea I just had: What if there's some Excalibur Exception (a term I don't think actually exists, but bear with me) for Durkon's new hammer? Like, somewhere way back in Dwarven law it states that since the hammer can only be wielded by the righteous messenger of Thor, its use is by definition in compliance with Dwarven law?

I thought of this because Durkon seems confident in his chances despite the rules and the Ex-Exarch's knowledge of them; the presumptive Hammer of Thunderbolts is the one thing in these recent strips that it's explicitly stated has been forgotten about with time by the Dwarves. Plus, it would be a reason that only Durkon is going into the inner chamber.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-07-19 at 06:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Idea I just had: What if there's some Excalibur Exception (a term I don't think actually exists, but bear with me) for Durkon's new hammer? Like, somewhere way back in Dwarven law it states that since the hammer can only be wielded by the righteous messenger of Thor, its use is by definition in compliance with Dwarven law?

I thought of this because Durkon seems confident in his chances despite the rules and the Ex-Exarch's knowledge of them; the presumptive Hammer of Thunderbolts is the one thing in these recent strips that it's explicitly stated has been forgotten about with time by the Dwarves. Plus, it would be a reason that only Durkon is going into the inner chamber.
    He's not allowed to attack anyone in the chamber but there's no law against giving it a skylight and four fewer walls.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    He's not allowed to attack anyone in the chamber but there's no law against giving it a skylight and four fewer walls.
    Sure there is. Destruction of property, demolition without a permit, treason (the arboreal enemy can exploit skylights, you see). . .

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    I mean, if there's something about the hammer that supersedes the law, then "he's not allowed to ___" doesn't apply to him. But to your idea, I've had similar thoughts previously; see below for more.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Sure there is. Destruction of property, demolition without a permit, treason (the arboreal enemy can exploit skylights, you see). . .
    We don't know that-- and, in fact, given how much chipping at rocks the subterranean Dwarves must have to do, I could actually believe there's no blanket ban on demolition. And then you consider that Durkon has a weapon he can throw into the ceiling and have return directly to him, without relying on that pesky gravity...

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Plus, it would be a reason that only Durkon is going into the inner chamber.
    What's that about only Durkon? Sigdi is also going in.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Also, Minrah.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-20 at 09:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Isn't the chamber only near the surface? If I'm remembering correctly (and I might not be) breaking througg the roof will only open it up to the cavern in which it is in, not to the open air.

Edit: 1155 Elder Screed
    Found the link! In it, the grumpy clan elder says "You know I don't like being this close to the surface." She seems to imply the whole council structure is part of a LotR Mines of Mora cavern close, but not actually exposed, to the surface.
    Last edited by Paleomancer; 2019-07-20 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Fixing comic link

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that will be the answer.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Ah, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Also, Minrah.
    Where does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    It's an interesting idea, but I doubt that will be the answer.
    Probably not, but there has to be something Durkon knows that we don't, that will allow him to thwart the vampires in the chamber.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably not, but there has to be something Durkon knows that we don't, that will allow him to thwart the vampires in the chamber.
    Any Dwarven Citizen is permitted to challenge a Dwarven clan leader for the right to be inducted into the clan via rap battle, and the rap battle must be watched over by all other available clan leaders. Rap battles take precedence over all other events barring an official parlimentary investigation.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Any Dwarven Citizen is permitted to challenge a Dwarven clan leader for the right to be inducted into the clan via rap battle, and the rap battle must be watched over by all other available clan leaders. Rap battles take precedence over all other events barring an official parlimentary investigation.
    Rap in a Dwarven accent? (I've heard rap in Polish so it's possible I guess.)
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

14. - Top - End - #554
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    bankrupting a sex trafficking ring
    This is not the proper name for, as far as we yet know of, one forced marriage (it would not even be the proper name for a family that has opportunistically arranged several forced marriages over the years). The proper term is forced marriage. Does your emotional appeal in favor of the principles of guilt by kinship, collective responsibility, and collective punishment of all family members, whether or not they took part, still work if we don't artificially inflate the wrongdoing to something calculated to sound much worse? Forced marriage is also a moral wrong, after all, but it seems that accurate language would facilitate accurate judgment.
    Last edited by Kader; 2019-07-20 at 01:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kader View Post
    This is not the proper name for, as far as we yet know of, one forced marriage (it would not even be the proper name for a family that has opportunistically arranged several forced marriages over the years). The proper term is forced marriage. Does your emotional appeal in favor of the principles of guilt by kinship, collective responsibility, and collective punishment of all family members, whether or not they took part, still work if we don't artificially inflate the wrongdoing to something calculated to sound much worse? Forced marriage is also a moral wrong, after all, but it seems that accurate language would facilitate accurate judgment.
    The_Weirdo has been explained this many times over. They don't care. Best to just ignore them, unless you're in the mood to engage them in a 20-page discussion about it in which nothing is ultimately resolved and everyone just ends up angry.
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-07-20 at 01:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kader View Post
    So far as The_Weirdo appears to be concerned a clan which engages in arranged marriages is a sex trafficking ring, despite all the logic and reason which points out the differences. I'm pretty sure they genuinely don't see it as inflating the wrongdoing to something much worse, I think they actually consider it to be about the same thing.

Best not to bother.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Perhaps it’s not illegal to cast healing spells in the chamber. Like, you know, on vampires

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    Perhaps it’s not illegal to cast healing spells in the chamber. Like, you know, on vampires
    Any spell, quoth the Gonetor.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Darn you and your correctness!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if that means "all spellcasting, period", "using spells on any creature, but not objects", or "spells on creatures besides yourself".
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #561

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I wonder if that means "all spellcasting, period", "using spells on any creature, but not objects", or "spells on creatures besides yourself".
    I'm taking "any spell on any creature" to mean no objects and including yourself.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

I'm taking "any spell on any creature" to mean no objects and including yourself.
    Yeah, sounds most likely, but is that strictly the only way to interpret it? Just curious.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #563

Any spells targeting any creatures are outlawed by some given unnamed rule. That doesn't mean there isn't also other rules that also happen to bar spells that don't target creatures, under different conditions. For example, spells targeting unattended items might not be banned on the whole, but it might be illegal to do a spell to change the shape of the room, or the materials, or to move through dimensions, and so on, and so on, making most spells that don't target creatures also banned. It just wasn't relevant to bring up all the minute details of what is or isn't allowed. Or possibly a surprise is in store.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

24. - Top - End - #564

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yeah, sounds most likely, but is that strictly the only way to interpret it? Just curious.
    You may be able to interpret it differently, but it seems like it's the author's way of telling us "hey here's a specific restriction they have to keep to."

Of course, I have historically been very, very wrong on nearly all my predictions, so take that with probably a whole can of salt.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    So far as The_Weirdo appears to be concerned a clan which engages in arranged marriages is a sex trafficking ring, despite all the logic and reason which points out the differences. I'm pretty sure they genuinely don't see it as inflating the wrongdoing to something much worse, I think they actually consider it to be about the same thing.

Best not to bother.
    Very well: what are the actual differences? Or do you think that them giving her no option on whether or not to marry has no bearing on them giving her an option - or not - on her sexual availability as regards Ivan, were he so inclined?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-07-20 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Very well: what are the actual differences?
    This was answered quite well and thoroughly by Xyril several pages ago, and given your tendency to ignore or refuse to acknowledge posts that contain information you don't want to process or can't refute, I don't think you should be trying to get someone else to repeat the same information so you can have the same argument for the 750th time.

27. - Top - End - #567

Lizardfolk

Is garlick against dwarf law?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

28. - Top - End - #568

MindFlayer

What's going on in the first panel of #1170, if not a spell or supernatural ability? The rule may have to be read as "on another creature". Gontor* would still be gloating.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    What's going on in the first panel of #1170, if not a spell or supernatural ability? The rule may have to be read as "on another creature". Gontor* would still be gloating.
    Quite likely a specific exception, as otherwise meeting inside the blue barrier would be pointless.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

This was answered quite well and thoroughly by Xyril several pages ago, and given your tendency to ignore or refuse to acknowledge posts that contain information you don't want to process or can't refute, I don't think you should be trying to get someone else to repeat the same information so you can have the same argument for the 750th time.
    Fine. If we decide to apply such an approach, we can apply it to Hilgya, too: she didn't force Gamblingaddict to bet the entire family fortune.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.