New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1171 - The Discussion Thread

THAT IS NOT WHAT A DEUS EX MACHINA. A DEUS Ex MACHINA must come without warning. Both Durkon’s plan and the HP examples, were foreshadowed, quite extensively. A Deus Ex Machina is something NO ONE, save the author, could have expected, not just “anything I didn’t expect”.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    THAT IS NOT WHAT A DEUS EX MACHINA.
    I’ve often idly wondered if “Ghost in the Shell” a translation of Deus ex Machina, after being mangled through a few intermediate languages?

Edit: It turns out they’re not related. See: http://www.word-detective.com/2011/06/ghost-in-the-machine/. Oh well.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-25 at 05:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    THAT IS NOT WHAT A DEUS EX MACHINA. A DEUS Ex MACHINA must come without warning. Both Durkon’s plan and the HP examples, were foreshadowed, quite extensively. A Deus Ex Machina is something NO ONE, save the author, could have expected, not just “anything I didn’t expect”.
    Yes. A deus ex machina is a capability introduced in the same scene as the conflict it resolves. And this is a meaningful distinction because a deus ex machina points to a lack of foreshadowing...as in, if you're really in a situation where you truly think you need a deus ex machina, you'd benefit from going back and putting in some foreshadowing (which is easier said than done in serially-released formats, admittedly).

And I mean, in one comic almost 132 strips beforehand we have HPoH unable to mentally associate the content of two separate memories himself, HPoH picking up one of Durkon's mannerisms...and Durkon noticing both of those things. Durkon taking advantage of the former to take advantage of the latter didn't come out of nowhere; that the surrounding scenario was orders of magnitude more intense doesn't change that.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems like a lot of these have been addressed already, so I'll just stick to some quick points.

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    So now that we've answered those questions, let's look at Durkon. I think we can agree that the "Durkon kills Durkon* while Durkon is Durkon*" probably qualifies as a Deus Ex Machina. There's no mechanical justification for it, the bad guys won fair and square when the narrative required them to lose. If we flipped the narrative around, suppose Team OotS defeated Xykon fair and square, destroyed the phylactery, and then, having been completely killed off, Xykon bursts out of Roy's chest with a big "Nope" and an evil cackle. There's no mechanical justification for it, it's just "Roy dies because the plot demands that Xykon needed one more pun."
    No, "we" can't. It doesn't seem like anyone agrees with you, really.

There's only one Mary Sue in the story, and that's Tsukiko. Except she's not the Mary Sue of The Order of the Stick, but the Mary Sue of the story she thinks she's in, How Tsukiko the Brave and Beautiful Made The World's Most Powerful Lich Fall in Love.

Also re: plans in advance. Not relevant. Ditto "Plotted backwards from the DXM" vs "Ran into plot wall, therefore DXM."
    Of course they are relevant. "Plotted backwards from ___" is the opposite of a Deus ex Machina.

Maybe Marty Stu is the wrong term. Is there a trope for a character who consistently can do no wrong because no matter what, the universe goes out of its way to accomodate their blunders and let them win anyway?
    Billy Madison.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2019-07-25 at 05:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #815

Oh look, my lunch break is up. Tune in next week for another exciting episode!

Also re: plans in advance. Not relevant. Ditto "Plotted backwards from the DXM" vs "Ran into plot wall, therefore DXM."
    Both of those are absolutely relevant, they just also happen to be to the detriment of your argument. The only case that could be made about Durkon's gambit being a Deus ex Machina is that it was a completely without foreshadowing event that only or primarily exists to resolve the issue of the Order being defeated, neither of which is the case.

If you want to talk about something irrelevant, though, you saying there's no mechanical basis for it certainly applies. Because Mr. Burlew has been very clear that he follows Dnd rules except for when he believes it hinders the plot to do so. In this case, he came up with his own mechanics for how vampires work to serve the story that he wanted to tell. Mr. Burlew is only obliged to stay consistent with the rules he makes, or previously established exist in this world, nothing more.

Which isn't to say you have to like how vampires work in this story, or the resolution to Durkon's vampire imprisonment. But it does mean that calling the conclusion a Deus ex Machina is factually incorrect.

Incidentally, this is why regardless of how many dictionary definitions you decide to copy and paste, if you aren't applying them correctly, it's still fair to say you don't really understand the terms you are using.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-07-25 at 05:35 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

6. - Top - End - #816

HalflingRogueGuy

So I’ve always assumed that when bookish nerdy people write stories, they identify with bookish nerdy characters they write about, and sometimes those characters risk turning into the author’s self insertion.

So, for example, I do believe Bilbo was a standin for JRR Tolkien in LotR.

Similarly, I think Tyrion is everything GRR Martin wishes he could be.

Which of the characters in OotS is Rich?

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    So I’ve always assumed that when bookish nerdy people write stories, they identify with bookish nerdy characters they write about, and sometimes those characters risk turning into the author’s self insertion.

Similarly, I think Tyrion is everything GRR Martin wishes he could be.

Which of the characters in OotS is Rich?
    I think Martin has even said something along the lines of Tyrion being who he wish he could be and Sam being who he actually is.

As far as Rich goes, my first guess would be Elan?

8. - Top - End - #818
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I thought Bilbo was the generic Englishman. After all, if there's one thing the British love to satirize, it's themselves.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Nah, her son is an infant, so he goes wherever she would go, assuming the Snarl doesn't unmake him. Hilgya is concerned about the possibility of her own death, not the fate of Kudzu's soul.
    Wait, wait. Where did you get that info?

As for her not wanting to risk death, eh. No one does.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think Martin has even said something along the lines of Tyrion being who he wish he could be and Sam being who he actually is.

As far as Rich goes, my first guess would be Elan?
    I've heard of people basing characters after an "aspect" that they see in themselves, and I've done some characters in that sort of style. While Elan himself doesn't strike me as being a stand in for Rich, the storytelling and general genre savvy does strike a chord of sorts.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #821
    Barbarian in the Playground

In fact, I’d argue that Odin originally selected Durkon for the mission because of the kind of person Durkon is.

To be fair, Odin isn’t even sure if he actually selected Durkon. So I recognize my argument breaks down in less than two steps.

But I’m still going to argue it anyhow.
    Maybe Odin wasn't actually the one who made the decision, but Thor used him to make the prophecy?
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Maybe Odin wasn't actually the one who made the decision, but Thor used him to make the prophecy?
    I don't quite see Thor manipulating his father to make a prophecy, but something to that effect in which Thor reminds Odin about it or suggests that Odin should tell his high priest about it seems plausible.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-25 at 06:05 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #823

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    Then why would Thor be so assured that his father is the one who made the decision to set all of this in motion?

Honestly, I still think the simplest answer is that some people are thinking way more about Odin saying "sounds mean" than we're actually supposed to.

Thor says Odin has good days and bad days - the prophecy and what it meant was given on a "good" day, and in the middle of a "bad" day, Odin cant quite remember doing so. Seems fairly straightforward to me.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

14. - Top - End - #824

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I don't quite see Thor manipulating his father to make a prophecy, but something to that effect in which Thor reminds Odin about it or suggests that Odin should tell his high priest about it seems plausible.
    I seem to remember Thor explicitly thinking Odin did it as part of a plan, and then Odin had no clue whether he did anything of the sort, I can't see Thor forgetting or lying about him being a part of this plan.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Then why would Thor be so assured that his father is the one who made the decision to set all of this in motion?

Honestly, I still think the simplest answer is that some people are thinking way more about Odin saying "sounds mean" than we're actually supposed to.

Thor says Odin has good days and bad days - the prophecy and what it meant was given on a "good" day, and in the middle of a "bad" day, Odin cant quite remember doing so. Seems fairly straightforward to me.
    Basically this.

Odin did the prophecy, Thor at least vaguely knew about it but didn't have a part in it. Him bringing it up while Odin calls it "mean" equates to trying to jog your elderly grandfather's memory about the plans he was making to invite everyone to a picnic next week.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-25 at 06:22 PM.

-Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I've heard of people basing characters after an "aspect" that they see in themselves, and I've done some characters in that sort of style. While Elan himself doesn't strike me as being a stand in for Rich, the storytelling and general genre savvy does strike a chord of sorts.
    But... but the avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Wait, wait. Where did you get that info?
    I think there's a quote from Rich to that effect, probably when someone asked "So how was it determined which afterlife Eric Greenhilt went to?"

17. - Top - End - #827

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I thought Bilbo was the generic Englishman. After all, if there's one thing the British love to satirize, it's themselves.
    I always thought Tom Bombadil was an author insert.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I always thought Tom Bombadil was an author insert.
    This is Tolkien's actual headstone. Three guesses who his actual self-insert is, and the first don't count.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #829

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    This is Tolkien's actual headstone. Three guesses who his actual self-insert is, and the first don't count.

Grey Wolf
    I honestly can't tell what it means, its been awhile since I last (and first) read LoTR.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    But... but the avatar.

I think there's a quote from Rich to that effect, probably when someone asked "So how was it determined which afterlife Eric Greenhilt went to?"
    Does that rule include dwarven infants? o_O
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

If it includes 5 year olds, it'll include infants.

-Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #832

Why wouldn't it?

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

Why wouldn't it?
    Correction: if it exists, why wouldn't it apply to dwarven infants.

-Squire Doodad

24. - Top - End - #834
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Grey Wolf
    I'm going with Balin.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

The Harry Potter I'm familiar with didn't really excel that much;
    A good description I heard was that he excelled at mana manipulation. Once he bothered to learn a spell, he could throw it around at a high level of proficiency with minimal training. Hermonie was more into book learning, but he was better at raw power.

Also tripping over people throwing plot devices at him, but still...
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Why wouldn't it?
    Weren't they included in the bet? That's what I was wondering here.

27. - Top - End - #837

This idea that the bet would exclude dwarf children for some reason has never made sense to me. How unfair and terrible it is a very clearly the point, and also no mention of exemptions (aside from "honorable death") have ever been brought up.

Edit: Or do you mean "where does a baby go if it's parents have already died with honor, but the baby itself didn't?" In which case, I'd assume the whole "die without honor, go to Hel" rule trumps any preexisting "go to parent rule".
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-07-25 at 07:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, a good point.
    I'll leave that to everyone else but that is worth considering.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going with Balin.
    Shelob, clearly.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2019-07-25 at 07:31 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

This idea that the bet would exclude dwarf children for some reason has never made sense to me. How unfair and terrible it is a very clearly the point, and also no mention of exemptions (aside from "honorable death") have ever been brought up.
    I'm guessing the standards for "what they could have done that could be considered honorable when they died" are lower for infants, but I imagine they still have to DO something, and it's really hard for babies to understand that kind of thing let alone act on it.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman