New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1171 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I'm guessing the standards for "what they could have done that could be considered honorable when they died" are lower for infants, but I imagine they still have to DO something, and it's really hard for babies to understand that kind of thing let alone act on it.
    "This baby died with a dagger in their hand and poked the person who killed them, so...Valhalla?"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    "This baby died with a dagger in their hand and poked the person who killed them, so...Valhalla?"
    I like to think Thor would try that.

Still probably best not to die of any baby diseases though.

Fortunately Dwarves get that +2 Con. It gotta help a lot with keeping down the Infant Mortality rate.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

3. - Top - End - #843

As long as the baby is eating, sleeping, growing and filling diapers, they are doing their duty as a baby. Therefore, their death would be honorable by default.

Besides, I really can't see Hel trying to set up an eternal daycare.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    As long as the baby is eating, sleeping, growing and filling diapers, they are doing their duty as a baby. Therefore, their death would be honorable by default.

Pretty much my thought as well. Every waking moment is a struggle for survival for an infant. Kudzu cant even walk on his own (probably) so the standards for what counts as an honorable fight for him are pretty low.

Also, Hel is almost certainly not interested in infant spirits. No energy, no value as a slave, they whine all the time and don't understand her when she yells at them to be quiet... why would she want that?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #845

She won't even get paid for it.

(((continuing the angsty teenager motif)))

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Pretty much my thought as well. Every waking moment is a struggle for survival for an infant. Kudzu cant even walk on his own (probably) so the standards for what counts as an honorable fight for him are pretty low.

Also, Hel is almost certainly not interested in infant spirits. No energy, no value as a slave, they whine all the time and don't understand her when she yells at them to be quiet... why would she want that?
    Well, off the top of my head, she's an insanely evil and petty person...

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, I really do, but we aren't dealing with an ideal situation here.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Well, off the top of my head, she's an insanely evil and petty person...

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, I really do, but we aren't dealing with an ideal situation here.
    Let me put it this way. She would have to go out of her way to get it, and there are actively reasons she doesn't want it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right, I really do
    https://wondermark.com/c1476/

There’s nothing preventing fiction from not making sense. It’s just people making stuff up.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Let me put it this way. She would have to go out of her way to get it, and there are actively reasons she doesn't want it.
    You're making a good point. Makes me feel optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

There’s nothing preventing fiction from not making sense. It’s just people making stuff up.
    There are some bars that need to be met...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-07-25 at 10:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

10. - Top - End - #850

HalflingRogueGuy

There are some bars that need to be met...
    A bear, a rooster, and a snake walk into a bar.

“I’m so happy to have met you!”, they say.

11. - Top - End - #851

Irrelevant aside, but I just noticed when Dion posted earlier that his name is an anagram for Odin.

Do you have a couple of pet ravens?

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

The "assume everyone, ever, is an idiot, thus cleaning up 20% of plot holes" does explain the entirety of the Megaman Battle Network series. And Metal Gear Solid. And all of those other games you liked to play when you were kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post

Short term soul power, not efficient, also she doesn't seem to enjoy inflicting pain for the sake of the pain. She does it for a purpose, though aforementioned purpose is bound to her ever-shifting whims.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-07-25 at 10:36 PM.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #853

HalflingRogueGuy

The "assume everyone, ever, is an idiot, thus cleaning up 20% of plot holes"...
    To be fair, I wasn’t trying to imply that The Giant is an idiot, and I apologize if I offended anyone who took it that way.

But D&D cosmology never made a bit of sense, and I don’t think The Giant’s goal was ever to untangle that snarl.

What I was trying to say was “have fun thinking about this as a thought exercise, but if you find yourself in actual distress worrying about the fate of dwarven babies, try to let it go...”
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-07-25 at 10:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, I wasn’t trying to imply that The Giant is an idiot, and I apologize if I offended anyone who took it that way.

But D&D cosmology never made a bit of sense, and I don’t think it was The Giant’s goal was ever to untangle that snarl.

What I was trying to say was “have fun thinking about this as a thought exercise, but if you find yourself in actual distress worrying about the fate of dwarven babies, try to let it go...”
    No, I meant in the link. I mean "assume everyone in the works is an idiot", not the creators.

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #855

HalflingRogueGuy

No, I meant in the link. I mean "assume everyone in the works is an idiot", not the creators.
    Oh yeah, that does help.

It helps in real life too. Have you ever asked yourself a question like, “Why does this international airport in one of the richest cities in the world look like a rundown municipal shopping mall?” Because everyone is an idiots.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

But D&D cosmology never made a bit of sense, and I don’t think The Giant’s goal was ever to untangle that snarl.
    I'm tempted to agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I am not going to spend time researching the history of D&D's treatment of dead souls. If you want to learn more about it, you're on your own. It's all inconsistent anyway, so even if you find a book that contradicts what I said, that doesn't mean there's not another one out there that agrees with me. And frankly, even if I'm remembering wrong and not a single book corroborates what I'm saying, so what? How does it matter to the story at all?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh yeah, that does help.

It helps in real life too. Have you ever asked yourself a question like, “Why does this international airport in one of the richest cities in the world look like a rundown municipal shopping mall?” Because everyone is an idiots.
    I'm more concerned as to why my international airport looks so much like a frightening death cult operates out of a secret nuclear blast-proof shelter in the basement.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    This is Tolkien's actual headstone. Three guesses who his actual self-insert is, and the first don't count.

Grey Wolf
    My guess is Faramir.

Quote Originally Posted by The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien: Letter 180
    As far as any character is 'like me' it is
    Faramir – except that I lack what all my characters possess (let the psychoanalysts note!) Courage.
    He even gave Faramir the same recurring dream that he had throughout his life (a towering wave destroying Atlantis Nśmenor.

The Beren and Lśthien romance was certainly inspired by his own love for his wife Edith. But Beren himself bears no special resemblance to Tolkien himself, as far as I can tell. Certainly he lacks the detailed worldview that Faramir has, which is basically copied-and-pasted from Tolkien's own preferences.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

19. - Top - End - #859

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Wow, that’s really sweet.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

You're all wrong. The real Tolkien self-insert is Professor John Jethro Rashbold from The Notion Club Papers.
    ungelic is us

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    My guess is Faramir.
    Yes, that's Toliken on his best days as an insert.

Although in a different story, Niggle in Tree and Leaf was an obvilous self insert.

The Beren and Luthien love story/tombstone is IMO a bit deeper. For one thing, it symbolizes their eternal love. But to a different extent, that's a fair candidate for the Tolkien self insert that reflects his deep feelings about what passing through the shadow does and how it influences people.

For Tolkien, the parallel for Beren's journey before he met Luthien was World War I, Western Front.

And FWIW, it is my belief that Sam Gamgee is a tribute to every private soldier who Tolkien met on the Western Front. One of the things that Peter Jackson got right, in the films, was "the stubborn courage of the common man" as reflected in Sam.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-07-26 at 09:03 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Short term soul power, not efficient, also she doesn't seem to enjoy inflicting pain for the sake of the pain. She does it for a purpose, though aforementioned purpose is bound to her ever-shifting whims.
    Yeah, it's easy to overlook the fact that being Evil does not mean Evil in the same ways. That's what sets Loki apart from Fenrir, or say, Xykon.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #863

Lizardfolk

I'll join the faction of people thinking Hel doesn't have much interest in keeping the souls of dwarven infants.

If only because she got tired of Thor running into her domain and yelling about how each and every infant died honourably as they fought for survival in such challenging conditions (namely, being an infant) and just started handing the little things to him so he'd shut up.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    You're all wrong. The real Tolkien self-insert is Professor John Jethro Rashbold from The Notion Club Papers.
    It's actually Beorn, not sure how everyone misses that.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's actually Beorn, not sure how everyone misses that.
    Tolkien was, of course, well known for transforming into a bear and prowling around at night.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    I'll join the faction of people thinking Hel doesn't have much interest in keeping the souls of dwarven infants.

If only because she got tired of Thor running into her domain and yelling about how each and every infant died honourably as they fought for survival in such challenging conditions (namely, being an infant) and just started handing the little things to him so he'd shut up.
    Obligatory SMBC link.
    (Caution: Somewhat NSFW).

27. - Top - End - #867
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Tolkien was, of course, well known for transforming into a bear and prowling around at night.
    That was one of his best recurring pranks at Oxford. He inherited this playful streak from his parents, who themselves began pranking him immediately after he was born by naming him Jolkien Rolkien Rolkien Tolkien.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That was one of his best recurring pranks at Oxford. He inherited this playful streak from his parents, who themselves began pranking him immediately after he was born by naming him Jolkien Rolkien Rolkien Tolkien.
    He took that as tolkien of their comedy talent...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

29. - Top - End - #869
    Banned

Zombie

Just saying that, this time, it's not at all unusual a decision.
    What stops her from doing the plane shift when she sees (if) the battle is lost? Why is that worse than going off somewhere and hoping that she'll get enough warning to cast plane shift? I agree with you that if the world is getting eaten by the snarl that a plane shift is worth trying, even though we as the readers know it will not work. She doesn't know that. What I'm saying is that her not even trying to save the world is what makes her evil. I hope that if it was all creation, vs my infant son (I have had 2) I'd pick the world, at least until there was no hope. Never minding everything else shes done, her leaving the fight here is an unrevokably evil act. My hope is that Sigdi has taken steps to make sure she cant go pick up Kudzu without the others.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Banned

Zombie

They are souls, and souls are power. Its unpleasant to think about but I think she probably just puts them somewhere and leaves them to squirm. It is Hel after all. I'd like to think that the people saying that the baby fighting to grow probably counts though. If Alcoholism, or attacking a tree, is an honorable death, struggling out of a dirty diaper probably is too.