New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVI: Madness is the best possible response

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    which I don’t see why we wouldn’t since we count clank-Lucrezia as Lucrezia
    Mostly because we're taking the characters' word for it, but also because there's a significant difference in how their origins are described.

Everyone, including Lucrezia herself, considers every copy of her to actually be Lucrezia. Lucrezia even considers copies of herself to be other parts of herself rather than separate entities, and has internalized that concept to the point that each copy is willing to risk herself, or even kill herself if necessary, to help her other copies.

Only one person ever knew that Anevka's clank was not being piloted by a still-living organic Anevka, and that was Tarvek. As the only person with that knowledge, and as the creator of the clank, he is in a uniquely authoritative position on the subject, and he believes that the clank is not Anevka.

Every copy of Lucrezia was intentionally made by transferring or copying her mind. Clank-Anevka started as a remote controlled puppet, and became an independent being through gradual development over time. Her personality was undoubtedly very similar to Anevka's, but I don't think that happened through an explicit copying mechanism. It sounded to me more like learning from and being shaped by the experiences of the puppeted actions.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Mostly because we're taking the characters' word for it, but also because there's a significant difference in how their origins are described.

Everyone, including Lucrezia herself, considers every copy of her to actually be Lucrezia. Lucrezia even considers copies of herself to be other parts of herself rather than separate entities, and has internalized that concept to the point that each copy is willing to risk herself, or even kill herself if necessary, to help her other copies.

Only one person ever knew that Anevka's clank was not being piloted by a still-living organic Anevka, and that was Tarvek. As the only person with that knowledge, and as the creator of the clank, he is in a uniquely authoritative position on the subject, and he believes that the clank is not Anevka.

Every copy of Lucrezia was intentionally made by transferring or copying her mind. Clank-Anevka started as a remote controlled puppet, and became an independent being through gradual development over time. Her personality was undoubtedly very similar to Anevka's, but I don't think that happened through an explicit copying mechanism. It sounded to me more like learning from and being shaped by the experiences of the puppeted actions.
    So?

The clank that has the same memories and personality as Anevka is not the same as Anevka because the copying process wasn’t the same? Why would that matter? Also bear in mind that Tarvek was killing her at the time, I think he was rationalizing.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Only one person ever knew that Anevka's clank was not being piloted by a still-living organic Anevka, and that was Tarvek.
    Even the clank itself was not aware of the distinction--it thought it was still being puppeted by Anevka, even though the cables between itself and the casket containing her had been severed.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think that there is a distinction between the Other and Clankevka. We don't really know what the Other is.

Yes, sure, it's a conscious mind, that of Lucrezia. But where was it stored? Was it in the Machine in Sturmhalten? Or was it in a different dimension? And is that really Lucrezia, anyway? Or is it Lucrezia fused with someone else? The thing is, is there a qualitative difference with other minds? Albia says that Lucrezia's mind is unusual when she kills the queens.

Second, more importantly, the clank driven by Annevka was more than a puppet, as Tarvek says. But what was it, then? Hard to tell, since he never explains it. Maybe it contained an AI that worked as a crutch for Annevka's declining faculties, and was not self conscious. Having direct access to Annevka's memories, she could have made a copy into her own system, used them exclusively, and later ended up identifying into them. We don't really know if their minds ever were identical, however. Only their memories.
    The Other, instead, is installed on a clean slate.

Third, the most important of all: the Other is a problem of survival, while Annevka is just a matter of identity. It's the same if the various Others are actually different people or not really the Other, because they are still all bad, powerful, and bent on world domination. So they all must be destroyed/contained/what have you.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #695

To muddy the waters further, we don't know that the clank has more than a fraction of Anevka's memories. There's a reason for the trope where you trip up a doppelganger with trivia.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It's entirely possible that "Anevka" is the head that was removed, and now we simply have a clank body which has command backdoors built into it that respond to, "Anevka, _______."

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    It's entirely possible that "Anevka" is the head that was removed, and now we simply have a clank body which has command backdoors built into it that respond to, "Anevka, _______."
    Was that in question?
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #698
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I'd say that even if the clank isn't a direct copy of the original Anevka it is in most, if not all, the ways that matter, an Anevka in itself. By all indications it was self aware, had it's own desires, it's own feelings and it's own identity as a person to the point it could have an identity crisis upon being told the original had died.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Bugbear in the Playground

Having a powerful metal body and knowing she could electrocute people at a touch probably didn't do much to encourage the better angels of her nature.

10. - Top - End - #700

Since when do Sparks and their families have better angels in their nature?

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a matter of degree. One shoulder devil says to kill them, kill them all! while the other says to save some for experimentation.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #702

AssassinGuy

while the sparky boys are busy rebuilting the extractor engine, it would be really smart to do away with the need to but the subjects head under a hood.
    Just make it point and shoot thing.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

13. - Top - End - #703
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    So Lu actually DID try to learn to fight at some point. But it doesn't look like her training was that good. I bet her attitude "I should WIN!" is at least part of the problem.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #704

There are multiple possibilities here. This could be an example of, "Nobody dares strike the king so he wins all spars and thinks he is an invincible warrior god until he faces an enemy" or it could be that lu is drawing off what she knows about zeetha while forgetting she has had two YEARS to train and get even better with a jaeger general boyfriend likely helping out whenever possible. A third option is violetta is poisoning lugatha very carefully. Slowing reaction times until she can barely handle this fight.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #705

Another option- LuAgatha is about to keel over from Tweedle-poisoning.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Orc in the Playground

Whichever it is, I hope it resolves soon. The Lucrezia in Agatha plot has become tiresome.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    There are multiple possibilities here. This could be an example of, "Nobody dares strike the king so he wins all spars and thinks he is an invincible warrior god until he faces an enemy" or it could be that lu is drawing off what she knows about zeetha while forgetting she has had two YEARS to train and get even better with a jaeger general boyfriend likely helping out whenever possible. A third option is violetta is poisoning lugatha very carefully. Slowing reaction times until she can barely handle this fight.
    Another possibilty is that we've never seen Lucrezia fight with swords before. She's also the first non-Skifandrian that we know went there - she had to know where it was to dump the Baron there in the first place.

The way I read this is that Lucrezia spent some time in Skifander and learned their fighting style. She thinks she's pretty good, but Zeetha was the daughter of the queen and one of the best at fighting with those swords. Unlike other times we've seen Zeetha get beaten, she isn't facing someone superhuman, and she has her swords. She knows the fighting style and she knows Agatha's physical capabilities. And as noted, she's spent the last couple years training with Higgs.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    And as noted, she's spent the last couple years training with Higgs.
    You call that "training"?

While Lu does know of Skiflander, we don't know how much time she spent there. Or when she got her work in with the sword.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

19. - Top - End - #709

MindFlayer

It's also plausible that training only carries over partially from body to body. Agatha has a different arrangement of muscle, bone, and fat from the original Lucrezia. Some maneuvers won't work the same way. But you think Lucrezia would be aware of this.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    It's also plausible that training only carries over partially from body to body. Agatha has a different arrangement of muscle, bone, and fat from the original Lucrezia. Some maneuvers won't work the same way. But you think Lucrezia would be aware of this.
    Maybe she just doesn't know how to do Kaio-ken.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Firbolg in the Playground

We also don't know in which era she even trained. Maybe it was 2300 years ago, and now she finds out that the old techniques have been surpassed.

Or maybe she's being thrown off by the lack of muscle memory.

Or maybe Albia can interact with the swords.

I get the feeling that this is the second time in a row that the comic has to explain a confusing situation, first "how is Lugatha free?", and then "why is Lu so good with swords?".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Her wording (calling Zeetha a child, especially) seems to imply she's had more time to train with the swords than a regular human lifespan, though.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #713

I'm suddenly reminded of Tom Hiddleston's expression when Loki tried to dominate Stark in the first Avengers movie. "This usually works."

24. - Top - End - #714

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Her wording (calling Zeetha a child, especially) seems to imply she's had more time to train with the swords than a regular human lifespan, though.
    Not necessarily? Zeetha is only, what, early 20s? Even without any time travel shenanigans Lucrezia would be considerably older than that, and it's entirely in keeping for someone in their high 40s/50s to refer to someone in their early 20s as a "child".

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not necessarily? Zeetha is only, what, early 20s? Even without any time travel shenanigans Lucrezia would be considerably older than that, and it's entirely in keeping for someone in their high 40s/50s to refer to someone in their early 20s as a "child".
    It's easy to forget that Lucrezia is the same generation as Baron Wulfenbach. We only see her either in flashbacks or embodied in someone young. It doesn't help that Klaus has never looked young.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It's easy to forget that Lucrezia is the same generation as Baron Wulfenbach.
    That was before she went travelling thousands of years into the past. "The other" is millenia old.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #717

So "It's not the years, it's the eons"?

28. - Top - End - #718

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That was before she went travelling thousands of years into the past. "The other" is millenia old.
    She's briefly popped up in various places all over history, but that doesn't automatically mean she's thousands of years old.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    She's briefly popped up in various places all over history, but that doesn't automatically mean she's thousands of years old.
    She's spent centuries imprisoned by Van Rijn, so she's at least hundred of years old.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

30. - Top - End - #720

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    She's spent centuries imprisoned by Van Rijn, so she's at least hundred of years old.
    Or at least one aspect of her was. Lady is split so much its going to take one hell of an exposition dump to wrap it all together. Keep in mind we have at LEAST three aspects of her in present time. Lugatha, clankcrezia, and zolcrezia. We have no idea if "the muse of time" is another aspect entirely, or one of the current ones going through a time loop of some sort. We dont know if they somehow share memories, need periodic info dumps when they bump into each other, etc. We have so little information on how any of this is happening.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."