New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [3.5] Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - IC

Stepping through the cavern portal, you find yourselves stepping through a stone archway in an alley. Dim lit and abandoned, you can see larger alleys on either side and from there you hear the busy sounds of a city. For some of you the smell and feel of the air is a familiar grace on your mind and skin, but for some of you the cloying sense of closed in walls and magically filtered yet still dirty city air in this particular fashion is new. Looking up from between a building of wood and a building of stone you do not see a sky, but instead more city and streets. Light doesn't come from a place, just simply pervading the air and illuminating much of the city... save for the alleyway.

Coming in from a fight with those Drow in the cave, one of their numbers carried a journal. And while much of it had quips and tales and stories and footnotes about the Drow in question, it contained a single clue where to go forward and find out why you were ambushed: Rule-of-Three of Sigil intrigues me as few others have. As he would
    say: a riddle, an enigma, a puzzle. Regardless of his ultimate loyalty (impossible to determine), he would make a fine sacrifice to honor the Spider Queen.
    Perhaps a fellow comrade in suffering the Drow. Some of you know where the Oarsmen is, and guide yourselves to it. You take a shortcut to avoid a religious procession that is freely scourging bystanders. You duck into an alley littered with dirt and filled with scurrying black rats. Bits of rotting cloth, sewage, and rubbish give the alley a pungent reek.

You’re halfway down the alley when you hear the voices: hundreds of tiny voices, like children, all speaking together. “You must listen to us. Listening? Yes? Scuttle very carefully through this sewer. Demons are triple liars, but angels are eager to make you martyrs. Go, and trust neither heaven nor hell. We mean victory for you and defeat for the Spider Queen.” There’s no sound; the voices are entirely in your head, and they aren’t leaving.
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: [3.5] Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - IC

Verik is startled to hear the voices in his head. But hey, this is Sigil.

”Uh, thanks. Would you mind telling us who you are and who sent you or how you otherwise know about us and our recent business?”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Surprised by the sudden mental intrusion, Eilyra looks around warily, her glowing eyes darting from dark corner to shadowed doorstep, even as her hand flashes to her sword hilt. Her mind whirls as she considers what she sees. Nothing? Except rats. Which aren't smart enough to point out the obvious. Or try to set us up as tools in a faceted war. Why is nothing ever simple.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

"Not us! Not us!" the voices ring out in cacophony. "It doesn't matter who we are, we are not in agency, not like you. Listen to us. Don’t trust them. Don’t trust the angels. Tell us you don’t trust anyone, and we’ll let you go.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Branche, for that was what Oculali was calling himself today, sucked in the filtered air, the acrid smell of the magickal filtering upon and the tell tale sign of burnt cinnamon, at least, that's what he thought it was, it was an intriguing smell, capable of all at once making sigh in satisfaction, and vomit simultaneously, but it was something you could get used to. And miss, apparently.

Moving off, he quickly found his place, and kept his eyes down, much like surface dwellers when going underground, or vice versa, the transition to ones senses could be overwhelming, it was an old trick, to not look up, as most surfacers expected a skyline, and without one, kept moving up, and eventually, fall over, their inner ear out of whack.

Taking a side alley, he was just as disturbed as the others seemed to be when his mind was intruded upon. Stopping, he looked to the others and got the confirmation he needed that they were experiencing the same, at first, he thought perhaps a demon? some spawn he had lied to and came back for revenge? there were many Demons who could communicate telepathically.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge (the planes)
    (1d20+16)[35] to see if this is some kind of demonic/devilry

Does he have his pet glabrezu?

Alas, no k local, so he knows sigil, just not really....
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra, her hand on her sword, considers her options. Demanding policy statements without revealing themselves... sure, these things are definitely trustworthy. But the insane tend to go along with things if you play along, and this is not a time or place where I have the advantage in combat. So, play along, and ignore them. A pity, really, because trust is such a complicated thing. Society runs on it, but it is also, ultimately, destroyed by it.

Even as her golden eyes continuing to survey the area, the cool crisp sound of Eilyra's voice can be heard clearly over the background noise of the city. "We don't trust anyone. Not demons. Not angels. Not mysterious voices in our heads. Nothing."

Spoiler: Looking
    Show

Eilyra's going to continue to scan the area, looking for the source of the voice.
    (1d20+15)[33] Spot(Or Listen)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik laughs. ”Guess my ideas are becoming more popular.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Nitrick

Something was strange, to the young Nezumi. He almost remembered... something. Someone running? Still, this city was a fine place and his skeletal mount felt strong and sure beneath him. His new companions sure and strong by his side, now even such a strange place as this mysterious city found behind a hole in the wall seemed safe enough.

These voices...

"Nitrick not trust not-gods, not trust not-demons. Trust friends, yes? Friends to trust. Nitrick trusted not-goddess, but should have not trusted not-goddesses. Now, not-people voices say to trust and not trust trusting. Nitrick not trust voices that say to not trust... so Nitrick should trust?" As the heavily bone-armored nezumi speaks, his voice becomes more and more confused. Suddenly, he nods decisively, sending the lizard-skull helmet bobbing. "Nitrick has decided. Trust voices, so not trust anything, including voices! No trust!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

A moment of silence comes as the voices in your heads abate, before speaking again. "Good. Go. Be safe. No trust." And the presence disperses.

Spoiler: Eilyra
    Show
    Looking around, you don't see any other presence aside from the rats who leave as the voice in your head finishes. A curious thing, however, their chittering seems to be coordinated, and their brains are exposed to the air.

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

Not wanting to push her luck further, and noting the departure of the rats, Eilyra continues down the dirty ally, her stride eating through the ground with surprising speed while her golden eyes sweep back and forth.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2019-03-30 at 05:26 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says as they continue walking "That was odd. Even for Sigil. I guess the Seer who started us on this path might have sent … whoever that was.

Well, the next order of business should be to head to the market. We need to sell this bulky loot, and I want to buy a hat similar to what you have Eilyra, perhaps even with a few extras. Also I need to find a stable for Scaler. A good riding lizard is hard to find here, and though it'd be cool to ride him into combat, it's not worth the risk."

ooc: Now assuming that we have been to the market and back, and done the business, so that our character sheets are now current as they do already reflect that …

"Eilyra, I think we should disguise ourselves as drow. I'm half drow, but as we saw, full drow don't always respect that. It might help loosen lips so that we can find out what going on. Nitrick, your own appearance is sinister enough that if you are hanging out with a couple of drow, I think it won't spoil anything."

Using his new Hat of Disguise, and making sure that no one but his companions seems to be currently watching, he adjusts his appearance to that of a full blooded drow wearing studded leather armor.
    Last edited by kinem; 2019-03-31 at 02:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns at Verik's initial words, before shaking her head. Her melodically dry voice seems thoughtful, if perhaps a touch uncaring. "Not likely. If they were associated, they'd probably have mentioned it."

Throughout the trip to the market, Eilyra keeps a wary eye out, but keeps fairly quiet, beyond occasionally glaring at people who come too close, or overeager merchants.

Afterwards, as Verik being scheming, Eilyra frowns once more. "I'm afraid a passing pigeon managed to make off with my previous circlet, so I'll need a chance to study my spells again before I'd be able to disguise myself four a couple of hours or so. My heritage should serve a similar role, for the moment. It would be wise, I think, for us to find a place to prepare to face tomorrow challenges."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says ”So Oarsman now, or tomorrow?

For tomorrow, remember that breakfast is on me. My Horn of Plenty produces a meal with protective benefits.”

14. - Top - End - #14

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns, as she considers. Hm... The Oarsman's neutral ground, but that doesn't exactly make it safe, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone would be interested in following us out, afterwards. I can probably handle one more fight, but that's going to leave me pretty low on magic, so we'd need to come across as regulars, or at least dangerous enough to not be worth going after. Or we'd need to get the protection of a patron. We do have information that Rule-Of-Three would be interested in, and few people want to mess with him, as information's always available, but he might not be there. Should be able to determine that quickly, before entering.

After a few moments of intense thought, Eilyra's frown fades. "Best to do it now, I think. Information tends to be more valuable when fresh, and having business elsewhere should give us an excellent way to depart, without making a hassle." She pauses for a moment, before looking over Nitrick and Verik. "It might be best to let me do most of the talking. The Oarsman primarily caters to the lower planes, and it is a neutral area, so don't start a fight. I might be a second class citizen there, as a half-blood, but you two..." Her voice trails off, and she shakes her head. "Stick with me, follow my lead, and don't start anything, and we'll be fine."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says ”I’m the Drow, so when it comes down to drow talk, I’ll take the lead. But ... we never did find out the name of the drow who owned the journal, did we? That limits our options. Or is it in the journal somewhere?Letting Will be the one to question her seemed like a fun idea at the time, but I should have done it.”

Along with the others, and now disguised as drow, he heads to the Oarsman.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns once more. "It may be wiser to not use a magical disguise here, as it's not unknown for the denizens of the lower planes to pierce such effects without effort."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2019-04-07 at 08:39 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says "You always have to spoil my fun, don't you?

Well … even if they see through it, so what? I'm still half drow, wanting to hide the 'lesser' half of my heritage. I can roll with it."

18. - Top - End - #18

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra shrugs as she continues walking through the donut that is Sigil, before she speaks, her voice sounding coolly controlled. "It's your choice. And we're almost there, now."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Nitrick

A slight wrinkle around the skull-shrouded eye suggests a raised eyebrow as the bone-armored Nezumi gestures first to himself, then to his skeletal warhorse. "Nitrick may cause a scene, but Nitrick will defend and keep you all safe. If say not talk, Nitrick not talk." Holstering the lance, he chirrups to the warhorse as it resolutely ignores him and follows the group.

20. - Top - End - #20

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra simply grins at Nitrick as she walks. "If they get too... persistent, you can probably pretend to be a death knight. That's probably impress them, but they won't acknowledge it. But now's the time. The Oarsman is just at the end of this street."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #21

GreenSorcererElf

Continuing her walking, with her followers following, Eilyra, at long last, approaches the Oarsman, and passes though the open door.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2019-04-12 at 12:44 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Branche had been silent for a moment, and followed the others mindlessly, lost in his own thoughts of summoning a demon, he had wandered down the mental pathway of, 'which one', there were so many options, a simple dretch was, of course out of the question, he needed something formidable. No, he needed one that could think for itself, perhaps one of those nasty Vrocks, now that could be interesting, he had always wanted to summon and bind a glabrezu, but they were tricky, perhaps a hezrou? Oooh, perhaps a fiendish Girallon....

He paused and opened his eyes with a sudden expression of surprise and delight, they were at the Oarsmen!
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

You have found your way to the Lower Ward, a section of Sigil inhabited primarily by creatures of the Lower Planes, but also by humans and the floating dabus. You even spot occasional darting lantern archons, their light shining pure and holy through the smoke and gloom—and moving very quickly through this ward.

The Oarsman is noisy, and you see three squawking vrocks come stumbling out of the open archway that is the entranceway. Within you see barbed devils playing at cards, a beautiful human woman confidently serving goblets of wine to monsters, and a motley collection of customers. The bartender has six arms. It’s not the type of inn one could easily get used to.

24. - Top - End - #24

GreenSorcererElf

Without hesitating for a moment, Eilyra leads the way into the depths of the Styx Oarsman. Once inside, she looks around the building, looking to see who and what was there as she approaches the bar.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik can't help but be nervous in such company, but he doesn't show it. Disguised as a full-blooded drow man in leather armor, he looks around for other drow, but lets Eilyra take the lead.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Branche smiles at the sight that was before him. Ahh yes, devils and demons of all kinds.

I wander if any of these fine outsiders know me? He mused to himself as he followed his intrepid companions.

He looked around, and tried to recall what he knew about everything he could see.

Spoiler
    Show

planes - (1d20+16)[35]

Not sure if you want multiple rolls for each type?

if so:
    planes - (1d20+16)[23]
    planes - (1d20+16)[30]
    planes - (1d20+16)[35]
    planes - (1d20+16)[29]

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

A bartender moves over to your spot at the bar and stands expectantly. To Eilyra and Verik, he gives a long hard glance, this Githzerai's eyes flashing blue for but a moment. But as Oculali moves to the bar, he manages a soft and small smile. "Branche." But the six armed woman comes up beside him, putting all six limbs on the counter and smiling. "Welcome, welcome. What'll it be?"

Spoiler: Oculali
    Show
    Apart from the workers here, the crowd here seems to be the typical mid-day crowd. Slow paced, easy-going, keep-to-themselves kind of creatures who, outside these walls, would be happy to trouble you. But here? Just looking to spend some silver, pass the time in relative peace.

- Glora is serving drinks today; you can't truly tell what she is, but today she looks to be a human woman with brilliant red hair.
    - The vrocks are brothers, you've heard that much. You've heard the names Haggard and Slim, but you're not sure if those are names or descriptions.
    - The bartender with six arms is a marilith named... Marilith. You've never learned if that's her actual name or a nickname, and you don't think she'd give you the truth one way or another.
    Last edited by Cardea; 2019-05-08 at 03:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

GreenSorcererElf

Taking in the crowd, noting the mix of outsiders in this place, Eilyra smiles slightly. Not kindly, but cruelly, almost in a I know something you would really, really need to know sense. Time to attract attention. But specific attention. Should Rule-Of-Three be as good as his reputation, he'll find us. If not, well, he's unlikely to be of much use, so, time to place some bait. She looks the barkeeper directly in her eyes, and directs her smile her way. Behind her, her tail flicks to and fro, betraying her nervousness. "Elderwhist wine, and an answer." None of her nervousness shows in her voice, but the almost musical tone of it seems almost out of place in the Oarsman, despite her appearance. "Will you take a message for Rule-Of-Three?"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2019-05-11 at 08:38 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Two of the woman's arms extend behind her, checking out different bottles, before deciding on a purple glass container with a rosy amber liquid inside of it, poured into a tall glass. "Not for free," the woman says, still smiling. "Five stingers, or do you want to tab it for you and your friends?"

30. - Top - End - #30

GreenSorcererElf

With a quick glance to Verik, Nitrick, and Oculali, Eilyra nods. "Wonderful. I'll take the tab, for now." With that said, her left hand reaches below the bar, into her pouch, and quickly emerges, holding ten ancient gold coins. "I believe this should be sufficient to cover us for reasonable expenses? And should you happen to encounter Rule, would you kindly inform him that we have some information he will be interested in?" She pauses for a moment, before smiling once more. "And please, get my allies whatever they'd like to drink." With that, she places the coins on the bar, and reaches for the glass, meaning to take a sip.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2019-05-21 at 06:18 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss