New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571

Default Re: Grrl Power V: Probably Not an Octopus

It wasn't even that at the beginning. Just an excuse to practice his art. Rich didn't start OOTS with a big game plan either. The difference being, when it was decided to move beyond that initial plan, Rich sat down and worked out a plan, developed characterization and did a dozen other things that makes it easier to have both a funny and a coherent comic===and the second often leads to the first. Dave didn't put any thought into this by his own admission, and the strip frequently suffers because of it (most recently the reveal that all of this covers maybe ten days of Sydney's life). I've seen Benny Hill sketches that were less frenetic.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It wasn't even that at the beginning. Just an excuse to practice his art. Rich didn't start OOTS with a big game plan either. The difference being, when it was decided to move beyond that initial plan, Rich sat down and worked out a plan, developed characterization and did a dozen other things that makes it easier to have both a funny and a coherent comic===and the second often leads to the first. Dave didn't put any thought into this by his own admission, and the strip frequently suffers because of it (most recently the reveal that all of this covers maybe ten days of Sydney's life). I've seen Benny Hill sketches that were less frenetic.
    Benny Hill sketches typically weren't frenetic, the yakety sax bit was a bit of end of show silliness (though since it was live stop motion, it must have taken ages to actually do).
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Benny Hill sketches typically weren't frenetic, the yakety sax bit was a bit of end of show silliness (though since it was live stop motion, it must have taken ages to actually do).
    Wouldnt they basically just edit out a handful of frames per second to create the jerky motion effect? Or just speed up the film? Possibly a bit of both?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Wouldnt they basically just edit out a handful of frames per second to create the jerky motion effect? Or just speed up the film? Possibly a bit of both?
    This was before computers, more or less. So, probably not. Sometimes I think it was a bit jerky as well, so I don't think it was anything like filming then doing slowmo. It was a long time ago though. They usually had stances as if they were walking not running as well.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2020-03-14 at 04:09 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #575

Speaking of high speed action, Math and Jabberwokky are at it again.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Jabberwokky seems cool, I liked the below comic line about establishing a brand.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

The Math/Jabber comic were really good.
    Both engaging action, and a quite funny joke to end it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Whoever build that thing never got kicked by a bunny.

Also, can't pistol shrimps punch really hard?
    I mean they punch hard enough to fire bullets at their prey, that should qualify for a higher spot.

Maybe Sydney should get her own spot on that list though...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #579
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Pistol shrimp dont punch, really. It's more like a finger snap powerful enough to create a shockwave.

10. - Top - End - #580

Which rapidly dissipates because of physics. Plus they're only a few inches long, so relative, y'know?

Funny that nobody (not even the resident demon) qualifies as "Demon". In fact, assuming Dabbler is the purple marker that about matches her skin tone, she's all the way down at "Tiger".

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Which rapidly dissipates because of physics. Plus they're only a few inches long, so relative, y'know?

Funny that nobody (not even the resident demon) qualifies as "Demon". In fact, assuming Dabbler is the purple marker that about matches her skin tone, she's all the way down at "Tiger".
    As Dabbler isn't a full blooded demon, that sort of makes sense.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Whoever build that thing never got kicked by a bunny.
    Right; kitten and rabbit should definitely be swapped.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If Sydney's so weak, then how did she do stuff like this https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...entional-judo/ and this https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...y-of-violence/ ?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #584

Rule of Funny.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The second one is just Maxima's imagination.
    And the first one was Mr.Amorph hiding his powers.
    Besides, pulling and punching are two very different skills.
    Pushing would be closer.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    A well placed kick to the privates and hip throw, unconventional as hers was, are largely not dependent on your strength.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. It should even be pointed out, that the kick didnt do that much.
    Her spicy breath of doom did more to make Mr Amorpheus open his mound and blind him.
    As the text underneath explains. He was doubled over, ½ blind, and she got him by the tongue.

18. - Top - End - #588

Plus, you know, adrenaline. She was in full fight or flight mode with the "bank robber" and flight wasnt an option (ok it was if she grabbed the right orb but you know what I mean) And before someone links the dabbler take down, much like being kicked in the jewels, there are a large number of body parts that hurt a LOT when struck even when its not by a strong person. As evidence, hold a baby or small child up to your face and wait till its flailing hits you in the schnozz. They cant karate chop balsa wood but thats still going to make you tear up.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looks about right.
    Exhausted Sydney hits even weaker and her orbs are bull.
    Maybe using the manipulator a whip instead of a fist would have worked better though.
    But who thinks about that when there's a trolling strength test to punch.

20. - Top - End - #590

Nice to see them working with another ARCHON member instead of just Sydney. Can we get another 20-30 updates of that?

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nice to see them working with another ARCHON member instead of just Sydney. Can we get another 20-30 updates of that?
    Sure, as long as it doesn't come with more "Sydney fails at carnival games" antics.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

lets be fair here, this could well be leading into a "Sydney doesn't have a clue how to actually throw a punch" bit, not just a "Sydney is comically weak" bit.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #593

Leading into? The entire point of this last three or so updates is sydney being very much so bad at the whole physical combat thing. Including not knowing how to throw a punch.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Leading into? The entire point of this last three or so updates is sydney being very much so bad at the whole physical combat thing. Including not knowing how to throw a punch.
    Theres a difference between not knowing the technique (which Sydney claims to know) and not being strong enough to pull it off anyway.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Theres a difference between not knowing the technique (which Sydney claims to know) and not being strong enough to pull it off anyway.
    Also a difference between having watched people go through the 'Here's how to throw a punch' routine a hundred times in media, and actually having somebody guide you through how it applies to your particular body and *doing* it a hundred times to get the form down.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

It is nice to get confirmation on that Max does in fact work with all the recruits.
    Just most of it happens off screen.

Also a difference between having watched people go through the 'Here's how to throw a punch' routine a hundred times in media, and actually having somebody guide you through how it applies to your particular body and *doing* it a hundred times to get the form down.
    Even so, actually throwing a punch isnt rocket science.
    Another possibility is that as a 50 kg nerdy girl, Sydney is not going to score above Bunny no matter how technically correct her punch is.
    Not in a machine designed to handle a full strenght blow from Stalwart.

27. - Top - End - #597

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    A hundred? Remember the quote from Bruce Lee: "I do not fear the man who knows ten thousand strikes. I fear the man who has practiced one strike ten thousand times."

28. - Top - End - #598

A hundred? Remember the quote from Bruce Lee: "I do not fear the man who knows ten thousand strikes. I fear the man who has practiced one strike ten thousand times."
    Well yeah, but right now we are getting sydney to the point where it doesnt hurt bruce lee to watch her take a swing. Making him fear her swing is a more long term project.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well yeah, but right now we are getting sydney to the point where it doesnt hurt bruce lee to watch her take a swing. Making him fear her swing is a more long term project.
    Now that would be a interesting strategy.
    Fighting so bad your opponent gives up out of sheer embarrassment.

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Now that would be a interesting strategy.
    Fighting so bad your opponent gives up out of sheer embarrassment.
    Bad Guy: "Mwahahaha! With this I shall take over the world! I shall... what... what are you doing?"
    Hero: "Im getting ready to kick your butt evildoer!"
    Bad Guy: " Wait, thats supposed to be a STANCE?! Thats the worst thing ive ever seen! A stiff breeze will knock you over its so unbalanced. My six year old could hip toss you with what you are doing now."
    Good Guy: "Dont underestimate me criminal! HIYAH! OORAH! WACHAA!!!"
    Bad Guy: "Oh god, please... please just stop, this is painful just to watch. Seriously, who spins in a full circle when they miss a roundhouse?"
    Good Guy: "The added momentum means when I swing back around im BRINGING THE PAIN!"
    Bad Guy: Oh god, I cant watch this any more, please stop, I promise not to take over the world. ARE YOU TRYING TO DO A CRANE KICK?!?!?! THIS IS NOT KARATE KID!"
    Good Guy: /wobbles, /falls "I accept your surrender!"