New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: SZbNAhL's Similarly Sibilant (if unpronouncable) Random Banter #223

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's a jokey exaggeration based on the idea that people who put their entire identity into what is effectively killing an animal without any real real reason are probably not people you wanna date. Play chess, sniff paint, cook some non-fish based food. Just pick up some hobbies or something so your entire photoset isn't "I only look good while holding a dead animal" themed.
    Well it depends, if hunting is a really big part of your life (and for a lot of people it is), they should probably advertise that. I would also take issue with any "real real reason". I have a farm, when I butcher an animal, to eat, there is no sport, there's no chance that the animal will get away. So if you've eaten animal flesh, you've killed an animal that no chance to defend itself, or had an animal killed for your sake.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a behavior I see a lot of, and a lot of people tend to have the same responses to it.
    Unless those people are extremely strict vegans I would say that's a pretty hypocritical response. Although to be fair most people don't imagine or think about where their food actually comes from. Also I would say that the "hunting/fishing picture folk" might be trying to avoid people like you or the people you tend to socialize with, and a picture like that is a good way to do that.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Although to be fair most people don't imagine or think about where their food actually comes from.
    Surely it comes from all the cute animals, why else ate we brutally killing such beautiful creatures as the cu and shep?

Ice head friends try to explain this plant based food thing to me, but it didn't make any sense.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2019-08-29 at 05:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, I already worked that out, I was more referencing that some of the advice ice gotten is a little prejudiced ('don't swipe right if you see a ton of boobs in their photos, because it means they're into casual sex'/'dead fish in pictures is poisson, avoid it').
    I mean, the whole point of online dating is to find our who you are compatible with. Someone else's red flags aren't going to be the same as yours, there is only so much overlap in dating preferences.

I have a number of automatic skip points that would probably offend some people to hear about but I know won't work. One person I read had a "no geminis" rule which worked perfectly for both of us, as I am a Gemini and the horoscope is nonsense. Saved us both a date.

Edit: the point about hunting/fishing fits perfectly. The people into it and those opposed to it can quickly eliminate their relationship possibility.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2019-08-29 at 05:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I mean, the whole point of online dating is to find our who you are compatible with. Someone else's red flags aren't going to be the same as yours, there is only so much overlap in dating preferences.

I have a number of automatic skip points that would probably offend some people to hear about but I know won't work. One person I read had a "no geminis" rule which worked perfectly for both of us, as I am a Gemini and the horoscope is nonsense. Saved us both a date.

Edit: the point about hunting/fishing fits perfectly. The people into it and those opposed to it can quickly eliminate their relationship possibility.
    The issue I'm having is more that there are statements being made about people's character that don't follow from those pictures. It would be like if you described people who thought horoscopes were fun and didn't take them too seriously as "utter morons" in this case "predators" which is a word that has some negative connotations, no?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, I already worked that out, I was more referencing that some of the advice ice gotten is a little prejudiced ('don't swipe right if you see a ton of boobs in their photos, because it means they're into casual sex'/'dead fish in pictures is poisson, avoid it').
    I mean as TVTyrant later said, some people's negatives aren't going to be yours. I do feel like the fishing thing is a general purpose red flag, because I do totally get wanting to show off that you do hunting and it's a part of your life, but uh... every picture? Really? Don't get any pictures of you not having violently killed something? Really? It's that sort of issue, for me.

Well it depends, if hunting is a really big part of your life (and for a lot of people it is), they should probably advertise that. I would also take issue with any "real real reason". I have a farm, when I butcher an animal, to eat, there is no sport, there's no chance that the animal will get away. So if you've eaten animal flesh, you've killed an animal that no chance to defend itself, or had an animal killed for your sake.

Unless those people are extremely strict vegans I would say that's a pretty hypocritical response. Although to be fair most people don't imagine or think about where their food actually comes from. Also I would say that the "hunting/fishing picture folk" might be trying to avoid people like you or the people you tend to socialize with, and a picture like that is a good way to do that.
    While I'm not a big fan of farms either, personally, I will note you also provide it with a rather happy life before eating it. That's technically a fair exchange, if a fatal one for the animal. I don't imagine you're a gross factory-farm person, so I can feel confident in saying that you don't actually kill them with any ill intent. My issue is that there's really no reason to go out hunting if it's not a cultural thing or JUST sport fishing (so letting the fish go instead of killing them) because like... come on. Just buy a fish from a fish monger or something. You don't need to do a hunting. Survival mode was mostly turned off by civilization.

I don't feel like there's any hypocrisy in saying "factory-farms are bad and there's no real reason to go out and personally kill a fish to each" and then going home to have the rest of the steak I bought. Is there? Possibly! But I don't think there is on a personal basis. People gotta eat, and while there are absolutely alternatives to meat I don't particularly care for them. And it's not like eating tofu's gonna make the farmer stop turning his cow into food, I'm not gonna let that go to waste.
    And yeah I wouldn't be surprised if someone who's got no pictures of themselves doing anything other than holding up dead animals wouldn't want to hang out with me. I'm fine with that?

EDIT: Predator was a wrong term, my apologies. I was just trying to get across a specific image without dipping into something actually not board safe. A better term to use is someone... careless about the world around them. Or just not fun to be with because fish stinks real bad.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-08-29 at 05:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I feel morally the opposite. Hunting an animal and getting your hands dirty is much less offensive then someone who gets one off of a farm, and as a hunter/fisher pays hundreds or thousands of dollars in tags is doing more for conservation (especially fishing where the industrial harvesting is much more destructive and they pay less to do it.)

There is also a lifestyle involved, fishing and hunting means much more time outdoors (and probably associations of campfire culture.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #667

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I feel morally the opposite. Hunting an animal and getting your hands dirty is much less offensive then someone who gets one off of a farm, and as a hunter/fisher pays hundreds or thousands of dollars in tags is doing more for conservation (especially fishing where the industrial harvesting is much more destructive and they pay less to do it.)

There is also a lifestyle involved, fishing and hunting means much more time outdoors (and probably associations of campfire culture.)
    To each their own. I'm just not super keen on hunting. I know there's benefits but I don't think they outweigh the negatives, since you could do that conservation effort without killing them too. Truthfully I don't even mind fishing that much, but when you center your entire identity around one thing (regardless of what it is) it starts to infest your head a bit. If you're entire identity is "I fish" then I'm as worried about you as I would be if someone told me they have absolutely no hobbies but wood working. Like... do anything else than the one thing you do exclusive to all else. Live a fuller life.

I don't find anything intrinsically better about getting your hands dirty personally than not doing that and being bloodied by proxy. They're the same, except one takes more effort.

Also yeah, like with factory-farms, industrial fishing is a menace to existence. That's not something anyone can really deny.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm not going to derail further into arguing hunting merits here, except to reiterate that those pictures are evidently doing their job in this case.

@anonymouswizard almost everyone is someone's type, the trick is figuring out how to find the people whose type you are and out of those find someone who is your type. I have the problem that I draw people looking for stability and often a dad figure, and I'm not really looking to take care of someone.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean as TVTyrant later said, some people's negatives aren't going to be yours. I do feel like the fishing thing is a general purpose red flag, because I do totally get wanting to show off that you do hunting and it's a part of your life, but uh... every picture? Really? Don't get any pictures of you not having violently killed something? Really? It's that sort of issue, for me.
    So if they have a few pictures of them hunting or fishing, that's alright?

While I'm not a big fan of farms either, personally, I will note you also provide it with a rather happy life before eating it. That's technically a fair exchange, if a fatal one for the animal. I don't imagine you're a gross factory-farm person, so I can feel confident in saying that you don't actually kill them with any ill intent. My issue is that there's really no reason to go out hunting if it's not a cultural thing or JUST sport fishing (so letting the fish go instead of killing them) because like... come on. Just buy a fish from a fish monger or something. You don't need to do a hunting. Survival mode was mostly turned off by civilization.
    The fishmonger also has to kill the fish. A fish is dying for you to eat the fish, the difference is that when you, yourself are catching the fish it has a chance to escape being your dinner that it doesn't otherwise have. This is especially the case if you would not eat fish if you did not catch fish that evening. Also you have no way of knowing that the picture of the person holding the fish up is not a person doing catch and release, and that the fish is actually dead. Since that looks about the same.

Maybe survival mode was turned off for you, but there are people that still need that. I work at heights, in dangerous environments, I know people who have died doing the work I do. My father works around electrical stuff, he has had multiple coworkers die doing the work he did. I work around animals which are extremely dangerous (almost all animals are dangerous in the right circumstances). I've been to war. Just because you have the luxury of a life where survival is not an issue doesn't mean that your lifestyle doesn't depend on people who forfeit that luxury. If there weren't people like me you'd have no bridges or buildings, and you'd probably have been conquered by some terrible dictator type in the past and therefore would be having a much worse life. A life such as yours where you can say "Survival mode was mostly turned off by civilization" depends in large part by people whose "survival mode" was not.

I don't feel like there's any hypocrisy in saying "factory-farms are bad and there's no real reason to go out and personally kill a fish to each" and then going home to have the rest of the steak I bought. Is there? Possibly!
    There is substantial difference here. If I am personally fishing, the fish has a chance to live. If I go to the store and buy a fish it doesn't. It's pretty easy to see here which situation is probably preferable to the fish. The thing is that you're comfortable with somebody else killing something so you can eat, but not spending time with that person, and saying that they are "predators" online (although you did recant later, that was the first word you used and therefore most likely the one you think. Again you are dismissing the people you need to live the life that you do, that's a big part of the problem.

EDIT: Predator was a wrong term, my apologies. I was just trying to get across a specific image without dipping into something actually not board safe. A better term to use is someone... careless about the world around them. Or just not fun to be with because fish stinks real bad.
    Eh, you can bath and stuff, and it's mostly bait that smells bad. I do lure fishing, so I don't smell bad often (and I catch things less often to boot, so win-win, I guess).

To each their own. I'm just not super keen on hunting. I know there's benefits but I don't think they outweigh the negatives, since you could do that conservation effort without killing them too. Truthfully I don't even mind fishing that much, but when you center your entire identity around one thing (regardless of what it is) it starts to infest your head a bit. If you're entire identity is "I fish" then I'm as worried about you as I would be if someone told me they have absolutely no hobbies but wood working. Like... do anything else than the one thing you do exclusive to all else. Live a fuller life.
    A person can live a very full life that's built around a single thing. Fishing and woodworking are hobbies that consume large amounts of time and resources comparatively to other hobbies, so it's more likely that somebody who does those will have less other hobbies in general.

And you can't do the conservation thing without killing. Period. Deer for example are a nuisance animal whose population is ten times what it was before we exterminated most of their predators, they have caused extinction of multiple animal and plant species, millions of dollars in damage to vehicles, millions of dollars in damage to crops, and then they get diseased and starve in the winter because they are unable to control their own population. If you want a balanced ecosystem, you have to do some management, and some of that is going to include getting rid of animals that are destabilizing it.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Barbarian in the Playground

.. .. .. I have a farm, .. .. ..
    I am just curious. I am not asking for any oher reason.

What do you raise? If you are in the USA, you may have heard of F.F.A. Were you a member?
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I am just curious. I am not asking for any oher reason.

What do you raise? If you are in the USA, you may have heard of F.F.A. Were you a member?
    Didn't start farming till later in life. Goats(diary and meat), chickens(layers mostly, a good mix though with a few multipurpose birds), turkeys(for Thanksgivings), Guinea fowl (for pest control), and one dog(for eating predator faces), considering adding pigs next year or year after.

Edit: I'd be super excited if my son did FFA though, but I'm not pushing him that way unless he wants that.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2019-08-29 at 07:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Yeah. And the latter tend to be spambots in disguise, is the issue.

It's a jokey exaggeration based on the idea that people who put their entire identity into what is effectively killing an animal without any real real reason are probably not people you wanna date. Play chess, sniff paint, cook some non-fish based food. Just pick up some hobbies or something so your entire photoset isn't "I only look good while holding a dead animal" themed.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a behavior I see a lot of, and a lot of people tend to have the same responses to it.
    Fishers, at least all the ones I know, are either catch and release or they eat what they catch. Mostly eat what they catch.
    That sums up my one of my loudest objections to hunting; its fishing with guns. It should be called fishing with guns. They set up a blind, sit around drinking beer, then shoot a deer if it walks past. That's not hunting. Hunting is tracking, moving, it's an active thing, ya know?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

13. - Top - End - #673
    Bugbear in the Playground

Baked in an oven. I can get it to a perfect medium rare with this method.

I wasn't sure that'd actually work since the pan is flat and not like, a grill. I'll consider that for tonight's supper though!
    If using an oven, I'd recommend rubbing some oil and maybe herbs (personally, I think pretty much everything is better with garlic bread and this is a good way to make garlic bread, so I suggest garlic as well as oil) onto the side of the bread you'll be toasting and using the "broil" setting. Put the bread on a cookie sheet, to-be-toasted-side-up, on an oven rack near the top element, and if your oven has a door set point of "a little bit open" use that one rather than closing the door all the way. Keep an eye on it - it'll brown in a few minutes once the element is up to temperature.

You can also pan fry things to toast them on the stove, but oil side down into the pan in that case.

14. - Top - End - #674

Didn't start farming till later in life. Goats(diary and meat)
    So.... How would one go about getting copious amounts of tender, tasty goat meat as an offering for their favorite dragon (dragons love goat meat)? Asking for a friend.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So.... How would one go about getting copious amounts of tender, tasty goat meat as an offering for their favorite dragon (dragons love goat meat)? Asking for a friend.
    Depends on if you have enough room to keep goats. Meat goats tend to be on the bigger side, and so need more space. You could see if there are any farms in your area or what-not. Or check butcher shops.

16. - Top - End - #676

I've tried, for some reason nobody wants to get paid in exposure.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Ettin in the Playground

You have to agree to stop exposing yourself people will pay much more for that.

18. - Top - End - #678

You sound just like the local police.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't start farming till later in life. Goats(diary and meat), chickens(layers mostly, a good mix though with a few multipurpose birds), turkeys(for Thanksgivings), Guinea fowl (for pest control), and one dog(for eating predator faces), considering adding pigs next year or year after....

Not that anyone asked, but story time!

In the '70's my parents caught a bit of the then popular "back to the land" vibe, and we visited folks who lived up north in Humboldt and Mendocino Counties with wood framed geodesic domes and tipi's and other amateur carpenter buildings, and for practice they started keeping ducks, geese, and rabbits in the backyard in addition to gardening, unfortunately they really had no idea on how to slaughter what had been my pets as they grew up in cities and suburbs, but this was pre-gentrification, and they were still neighbors who grew up in the rural south who showed them what how (sort-of, they basically just did it for my parents to be nice neighbors).

I think the experiment lasted three years at most, and they never moved "to the land".

You sound just like the local police.

That conversation brought me joy, thanks!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

20. - Top - End - #680

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

That conversation brought me joy, thanks!
    I aim to please!

And apparently miss the mark, according to the local police.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Actually it's not. It's a microwave source, which can cause some things to get hot, but it's not a heat source itself.
    Correct. The magnetron in the microwave emits microwave electromagnetic rays, these have no heat by themselves. However, they are perfectly tuned to excite any water molecules they hit. The water molecules get excited, then release heat, thus turning the water in the food itself into the heat source.

Fun fact: The water molecules in ice are too tightly compacted to be excited by the microwave rays, thus ice will not melt in a microwave (obviously, other heat sources can melt the ice, including if some melts and that in turn gets hot from the microwave rays, but the microwave rays will not melt the ice directly).

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

22. - Top - End - #682

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Correct. The magnetron in the microwave emits microwave electromagnetic rays, these have no heat by themselves. However, they are perfectly tuned to excite any water molecules they hit. The water molecules get excited, then release heat, thus turning the water in the food itself into the heat source.

Fun fact: The water molecules in ice are too tightly compacted to be excited by the microwave rays, thus ice will not melt in a microwave (obviously, other heat sources can melt the ice, including if some melts and that in turn gets hot from the microwave rays, but the microwave rays will not melt the ice directly).
    Okay cool next question: how does one deep fry ice cream while still leaving the ice cream super cold and solid? Genuinely curious about this.

23. - Top - End - #683

Okay cool next question: how does one deep fry ice cream while still leaving the ice cream super cold and solid? Genuinely curious about this.
    The easy way is you take two slices of white bread and cut the crusts off. Put a scoop of ice cream on one slice, put the other on top and press the edges together to encapsulate the ice cream. Immediately drop it in a deep fryer for about ten seconds.

The bread gets crisped by the deep fryer, as well as insulates the ice cream. For as short as its put in, the heat doesn't really pass through that well, so you end up with a warm, crispy shell with a frozen creamy filling.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-29 at 10:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #684

The easy way is you take two slices of white bread and cut the crusts off. Put a scoop of ice cream on one slice, put the other on top and press the edges together to encapsulate the ice cream. Immediately drop it in a deep fryer for about ten seconds.

The bread gets crisped by the deep fryer, as well as insulates the ice cream. For as short as its put in, the heat doesn't really pass through that well, so you end up with a warm, crispy shell with a frozen creamy filling.
    ... so it really is just a case of "eh we just didn't deep fry it THAT long" then? That feels weird to me because my time cooking in deep fryers has told me they're incredibly hot and not to be trifled with.

25. - Top - End - #685

... so it really is just a case of "eh we just didn't deep fry it THAT long" then? That feels weird to me because my time cooking in deep fryers has told me they're incredibly hot and not to be trifled with.
    Short time and insulation, yep. The bread flash-fries, so you get the effect without having to keep the item in the hot oil for any length of time. A small amount of the ice cream may melt, but it's trivial if it does, and I'm unsure enough heat passes through in that short time to matter anyway.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-08-29 at 10:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #686

BlackDragon

Unless those people are extremely strict vegans I would say that's a pretty hypocritical response. Although to be fair most people don't imagine or think about where their food actually comes from.
    Had a vegetarian colleague at a company some time ago, and his biggest issue with meat eaters were the sort of people who would happily eat beef but would balk at eating rabbit because "So cute!".

27. - Top - End - #687
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Had a vegetarian colleague at a company some time ago, and his biggest issue with meat eaters were the sort of people who would happily eat beef but would balk at eating rabbit because "So cute!".
    But rabbit is delicious! The cuter the animal the tastier the meat, that is just science.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Bah! Plop the bunnies in a stew, it's whey they're there for.

Actually over here that's literally true, rabbit warrens were introduced foe food and fur. Plus bunny stew is delicious anyway.

I also feel like we wouldn't have had to use such terrible culling methods if people actually ate rabbit. As it is the British rabbit is in danger, we must save our Hazels and Bigwigs via the medium of pie!

My biggest issue is those who won't ready offal because it's disgusting, even if thru easy all the rest of the meat. What's wrong with internal organs? Chicken liver makes spaghetti bolognaise taste lovely (and I'm partial to braised lamb liver any day of the week, heart is for a special occasion).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

29. - Top - End - #689

BlackDragon

What's wrong with internal organs? Chicken liver makes spaghetti bolognaise taste lovely (and I'm partial to braised lamb liver any day of the week, heart is for a special occasion).
    I'm OK with liver. My only experience of heart is when my father (who was nothing if not a cheapskate) used it in a stew he made. It was like eating old inner tubes...

30. - Top - End - #690
    Barbarian in the Playground

Didn't start farming till later in life. Goats(diary and meat), chickens(layers mostly, a good mix though with a few multipurpose birds), turkeys(for Thanksgivings), Guinea fowl (for pest control), and one dog(for eating predator faces), considering adding pigs next year or year after.

Edit: I'd be super excited if my son did FFA though, but I'm not pushing him that way unless he wants that.
    I was a member of FFA, myself.

as for PeeLee exposing himself and aiming to please. he can fly his freak flag over there in his own home and aim elsewhere, please.

as for rabbits: Yummmmm fried rabbit!
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here