New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Through the door of Angels

Crystal

"I don't like the look of this!" Crystal calls, stepping forward and loosing two more arrows at the shaman. "I think he's managed whatever he was trying to summon!"

Spoiler
    Show

Rapid Shot (1d20+2)[4]+5, -2RS, -2DA, +1PBS, +1IC
    Damage: (1d8+11)[15]+3, +4DA, +1PBS, +2FE, +1IC

Rapid Shot (1d20+2)[16]+5, -2RS, -2DA, +1PBS, +1IC
    Damage: (1d8+11)[18]+3, +4DA, +1PBS, +2FE, +1IC

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

Hearing Crystal’s warning and having dispatched the devil in front of her, Amara abandoned her idea of going around the flank and instead moved past her allies to get a clear view of the shaman.

What she saw chilled her blood and she realized she didn’t have time to reload her bow and shoot, so she dropped her dagger and held up a palm facing the enemy about to sacrifice the woman. Just as she was about to reveal herself, however, the shaman was cut down, and she held back from releasing the eldritch fire with a grimace of discomfort.

Spoiler
    Show

Take advantage of the 8 move speed to get to Q24, then use eldritch blast.
    Who is IC? Amara is standing right next to them so they would notice be magic, probably.
    Attack: (1d20+5)[9] ranged touch
    Damage: (1d6)[3]
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-01-02 at 08:20 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Between the calls of his allies and the apparent ritual currently ongoing, Benedict realizes that there simply is no time to deal with the threat tactically and puts his faith in the Lord Heironeous to protect him as he makes a desperate attempt to prevent the shaman's continuation of his ritual.

With a brief prayer to his god, and the certainty that his prayer must be heard, he turns his back to the devil that tried to engage him and rushes past the shaman to plant himself firmly between the shaman and the last bound woman. Evil or not, she was an apparent victim, and he had to stop it.

Spoiler: OOC: Attacks of Opportunity AC
    Show
    Current AC: 19 (17 base, +2 from Daruk)

"Back, vile fiend! This one is protected by Heironeous and you shall not have her!", he shouts at the shaman as he takes a swing with his greatsword.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move: to J30 provoking attacks
    Standard: Attack shaman

Attack: (1d20+7)[18]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[18]

If attack is 26-27, confirmation: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[11]

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal as the shadowy outline starts to take on a shape you worry that it may be to late to stop the ritual from being complete and fire two arrows in quick succession trying your best to save at least one of the hostages before it is to late. Because of your quick thinking and rapid movements the first arrow goes wide, missing its mark completely. Seeing this you take a steadying breath as you let lose the second which pierces into the shaman's flesh causing more of that black diabolic blood you have gotten used to seeing with these kinds of devils to drip from a second arrow wound.

It is that small opening that Lord Benedict seizes upon as he rushes past the devil he was engaged with to place himself in front of the last hostage. The first devil swings wildly seemingly caught off guard by your retreat, and the shaman in to much pain doesn't do much better as you stand before the hostage, a shield of faith and declare this woman was under your protection as you swing your greatsword.

Raising the dagger to try and deflect the blade slightly doesn't help as your blade cuts straight through the sacrificial stone dagger cutting a deep wound from its right shoulder to its left waist. For a moment the chanting continues before realization crosses its eyes and it falls to the ground lifeless, its black blood pooling at your feet.

Amara it is as you mentally prepare yourself to reveal to these strangers that you are gifted in the arcane arts in order to save at least one of the survivors when you see Lord Benedict interpose himself between it and the hostage before a quick slash of his greatsword finishes the blow. The other devils see this and it looks as if their morale has broken and will no doubt flee, something obvious to you as you are not engaged yet in any real combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks please

5. - Top - End - #395
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Daruk

A sudden jolt of energy courses through Daruk´s body. He was unfamiliar with the sensation, but the warrior in him knew intuitively what to do with the opportunity: Attack! He swings his sword at the demon in front of him.

Spoiler: Attack M23
    Show

Longsword (1d20+9)[18], damage (1d8+2)[7]. If crit (28-29) confirm (1d20+9)[14], bonus damage (1d8+2)[5]

Stepping to the right (M22), he then opens up his attacking options, but also hopes to lure more demons into attacking him. Determined by and relieved because of Benedict´s heroic act, he produces one more swing of his sword: "For justice!" Thank Lord Heironeous, we may just succeed (....not that I ever doubted!).

Spoiler: Attack M23, or if it died L22
    Show

Longsword (1d20+9)[23], damage (1d8+2)[6]. If crit (28-29) confirm (1d20+9)[13], bonus damage (1d8+2)[10]

The spark of glory and victory starts to glow in his eyes, but he knows to not celebrate yet.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Daruk one by one the devil's fall to your blade and as the second one falls to your battle cry you watch as the two remaining devils flee away from you and the others. You could give try to give chase but then you would be leaving another prisoner tied up to a wall this time instead of on the floor, perhaps it will be best to save the people first and worry about the devils at a later time. You also note that the chair no longer seems to be glowing with flaming runes, nor is there a figure in it.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show
    Joshua gets an AoO against the one who left his threatened square, the other one is safe as of this moment however.
    Map
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2020-01-03 at 10:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

"I can't see anything in this gloom," Crystal grumbles as the devils flee beyond her range of visibility.

"Some sort of shadow creature formed, but it took the form of smoke and headed towards the closed section of the mine," Crystal informs the others who may not have been as sharp eyed as she. "I don't think we could fight it now even if we could pursue; how do you fight smoke?!" She asks. "I worry we were too slow to prevent a great evil being unleashed."

"And I wish we'd been able to rescue more hostages," Crystal sighs heavily. "Could someone check on the two in the other room? Amara, Issarel or Daruk ideally. I think Lord Shelford and Joshua should probably keep a low profile around them, to spare their feelings."

She puts her weapons away and behind rifling through the possessions of the fallen for clues, starting with the shaman.

Search (1d20+8)[19]

"Thank you," she says quietly as she gets a moment in proximity to Benedict, "for following me through the gap and keeping me from getting myself killed. You fought really well! It was nearly enough."

And perhaps it would have been if more of her arrows had flown true, Crystal mentally beats herself up. With four dead hostages and a failure to prevent the summoning she's finding it hard to see this as a victory.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2020-01-05 at 06:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

With her enhanced vision, Amara spotted the smaller devils trying to make a run for it and she moved to try to cut them off.

Spoiler
    Show
    not sure if we’re still in combat rounds or not but I’m going to be flying soon so posted out of turn.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal as you search the remains of the shaman you notice a clump of raw unworked metal the size of an orge's fist in one of the packs he seems to be wearing. Judging from the amount one could make a single weapon out of it or 50 arrows. Most of the other packs seem to be empty, containing scraps of food or dust. However in one of the packs you do find a some coins which you could show to the other's if you wished.

Spoiler: Gold Pieces
    Show
    (2d100)[142]

Looking over the other bodies you note they carry nothing on them except the picks that they use as weapons against all of you when you entered the mine. What is odd however is that unlike normal steel, there's seems to have a green tint to it.

Spoiler: Knowledge the planes DC 15
    Show
    As you look over the green steel like weapons you realize that this could only be one type of metal. Baatorian Green Steel, a metal from the depths of the nine hells itself, this metal is said to be especially dangerous when combined to a piercing or slashing weapon doing more damage then a typical weapon of its kind would do. However finding someone on the material plane that would know how to forge such an item will be difficult, reforging these weapons into new one's that could suit you and the others even more so.

10. - Top - End - #400

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Daruk offers to go and check up on the victims in the other room, as requested by Crystal. "Stay on your guard, you never know...."

11. - Top - End - #401

RangerGuy

Benedict nods to Crystal as she relays her thanks. "You fought valiantly as well. You were most brave in exploiting the breach." The tone of his voice is one of complete honesty, and he seems genuinely impressed by her actions.

With that, he then turns toward the woman chained to the pillar behind him. "Are you alright, miss?" He briefly (and not very effectively) checks her for any wounds before stepping around the pillar, lifting his greatsword, and taking a mighty swing at the chains binding her in place to try and break them.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Daruk and those who choose to go with him
    Show
    Daruk following Crystal's advice you go to check on the prisoners in the room you all left moments ago where Joshua's whip-dagger impaled one of the hostage's hearts that Benedict had stated was a devil in disguise. Walking into the room you see the two hostages look slightly relieved as their captures do not return. In the middle of the two hostages remains the dead man, lying face down in the ground. The three devils also remain where they were slain, however their black blood remains pooled around them, though slowly being absorbed into the earth itself unlike the man's which is nowhere in sight. As if the ritual itself had pulled every drop of blood he had towards it.

Spoiler: Assuming you untie and ungag them
    Show
    Releasing them from their bonds the two miners thank you for saving them from the devils. "Why did that man with you strike down Gef and call him a devil?" one of the miner's asks you as Timothy, the miner you saved earlier who agreed to show you around unties the other. "I was going to ask them that to but didn't have the time. We are all safe now, well all of us that are left ,so why did you do it?" he asks a look of confusion and concern on his face.

"All I know is I will not be the one to tell his wife. That bastard who killed him should have to tell the woman why her husband died." says the last remaining miner freed by Timothy of his restraints.

Amara not wanting the last devil to get away and no doubt regroup with the other one Crystal said turned into smoke, you chase down the creature cutting it off. As it turns the corner your crossbow bolt finds it's heart easily killing the creature. With this last foe dead you could rejoin Benedict and Crystal in the ritual room, or go with Daruk to check on the other prisoners.

Spoiler: Benedict, Crystal, and all those who choose to stay with them
    Show

As Benedict cleaves through the metal chain holding the woman suspended in the air Crystal easily catches her and guides her to the ground so her body can get used to supporting itself once more. "I am thanks to all of you sir, it was going to kill me." the woman says looking at the dead devil next to her before scooting away from it, not before picking up the dead red snake on the ground however. "They captured me and Fedrik here on our way home from Uada Formatus. My poor sweet Fedrik tried so hard to protect me but they killed him." she says breaking into tears once more as she mourns over her lost pet.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal Wolfe

Benedict's praise elicits a brief but genuine smile as they go to free the remaining prisoner. Crystal catches the woman as the knight breaks her chains and then supports her as she steadies herself.

"It's ok, I've got you," she soothes, as the woman learns to stand again. When the woman breaks down over Fedrik Crystal offers sympathy via light physical contact until she recovers herself.

"What's your name?" Crystal asks when the woman has recovered enough to answer some questions. "I'm detective Crystal Wolfe, and this is Lord Benedict Shelford. We can take you back to town if you'd like. Do you know anything about the other hostages? It would help us if we knew whose families to contact."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

From behind, Joshua lays his hand on Benedicts shoulder and says: Benedict, Crystal, good job! Daruk said I should go over to you... Seems you two have stopped the shaman just in...
    He interrupts because of the women
    Hey, I know you. Aah, damn! But where from? ... Wait he searches in his bag of his mantle. Ha! Here! You are the missing wife! Look!. He waves the paper in front of the knights nose.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

"I am Lady Claudia Trenus." the woman says, her features mostly hidden between the firelight and being covered in the grime of being held prisoner for a few days. What is clear is she holds the same brown hair and light brown eyes most from the Swordwatch Empire are known for. As you explain that you are a detective the woman clearly seems to brighten up at this, believing the town must have sent a search party for her no doubt. "They were all here when I arrived, if I had to guess they were people who worked in the mine. None of them stand out to me, then again unless you are a merchant or noble it is hard to gain my attention. You and your friends have my thanks Lord Benedict, Crystal. I am sure whatever my husband promised you for my safe return will not even come close to the service you have done for me." the woman says.

It is at that time Joshua walks over and begins talking, the woman instantly seems put off by his manners, and brushes the paper out of her face. "It is dark in here, I am not blind however. Yes I am Lady Claudia." the woman responds to Joshua with half attention, the complete opposite of how she spoke when you told her Benedict was a lord and you were a detective.

16. - Top - End - #406

PaladinGuy

Daruk

Daruk unties the men gently, making sure to ask them if they are doing allright or whether they have specific pains or ails he can look after immediately. He nods understanding and with a grave expression on his face when the prisoners start questioning him about the fight, but not before he checks up on that prisoner. Who knows, maybe he still lives? "I am very sorry for your loss, and my prayers to Heironeous are for him and his beloved." He grasps his holy symbol, not only to strengthen his words but also to assert his position as a priest. "It all went very fast, so I can´t be sure, but I am confident that what transpired was an unfortunate and unintended accident. The man you refer to I came to know as a brave man with all intentions to save you...even risking his life to do so. I do know that the demons we were facing here are full of trickery, at times making you believe things that are not true or truly there." He pauses a moment, thinking. "Maybe the man was befuddled and tricked?"

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Crystal

Crystal does nothing to contradict the lady's assumption that the party is here for her. "We're almost ready to head back, I think. Some of our colleagues should be releasing the other hostages just now. Other than that we just have to warn the miners about the summoned monster that escaped deeper into the mines."

18. - Top - End - #408

RangerGuy

Benedict nods to the Lady and to Crytal, "Kidnapped for a ritual seems to make sense, particularly as you were the last they intended to sacrifice.
    So there must be something important about you to the ritual; perhaps simply a matter of being nobility. We shall gather the other survivors and the bodies of these unfortunate souls..."
    , he gestures to the sacrificed miners, "...and escort all back to the town."

Conveniently noticing that the undertaker is here, he asks, "Joshua, good man, would you be so kind as to tend to the dead and make them ready for transport? We shall see if we might find a cart that my noble steed might pull to bring them home."

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Amara van Tannin

Amara ran off after the fleeing devil, pulled up to sight down the length of her crossbow, and shot it in the back.

She carefully approached the downed creature, ready for a trick, but it truly was unconscious.

Avoiding the worst of the blood, she patted it down quickly looking for anything identifying it might be carrying and then returned to the others with its pick and whatever she might have found.

“That last devil didn’t make it out,” she said, tossing the pick into the pile with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge the planes : (1d20+3)[8]
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sure Benedict, I will. Do you remember if one of these rooms here had some fabric in it, enough to cover them up, for a pall, a shroud? he asks

Spoiler
    Show
    I looked at older posts but found nothing. The first room, after the shrieker maybe. But we were told “hammers and picks and mining stuff“.

21. - Top - End - #411

BlackDragon

Issarel Clanyr

Issarel stands quietly observing the commotion. She is careful, very careful to avoid any of the many many pools of blood on the ground. She examines the body of the lead cultist to see if she can garner any more clues.

Search: (1d20+11)[14]

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Daruk
    Show
    "They played with your mind's sure. Using sounds and such. We ain't never seen one change their appearance before though Father." the miner says respectfully to you as you show your holy symbol. "All we know is they captured some of us with pit's after luring us with sounds of our friends being injured and such. Sometimes they would wear a cloak but looking hard enough easily showed them for what they were. Demons as you say Father. So your friend attacking just don't make sense." the man replies which the second and even Timothy both seem to nod in agreement about. They do seem plactatid for now however with your words.

"You mean something came through?" the woman looks absolutely terrified at this statement as she looks around the shadows as if expecting something to leap out and grab her at any moment. "Yes yes, let's make haste to leave this place at once. I do not want to be here if something was summoned here. Who knows what it is or can do, and I do not want to be offered up a second time." Lady Claudia says as she stays close to all of you, though keeping a good five feet between her and Joshua, the apparent lackey of the group by his shovel and how he is being told to prepare the dead for transport.

It is at that moment Amara returns and the woman's eyes alight. "Lady Tannin is that you? I haven't seen you since what, three winters ago at the emperor's ball?" the woman says clearly recognizing you from a function you went to with your family.

Spoiler: Knowledge Nobility check DC 10
    Show
    The woman before you is Lady Claudia Trenus, a lesser noble from Cor Justorum who was said to have moved to Angelius Ianuam to earn her riches and settle down with a local lord, securing her families place for future generations.

Spoiler: Nobility DC 15
    Show
    In some circles it was rumored that at the ball she mentioned she was caught trying to seduce one of the young Swordhand families boys and was caught. Because of the scandal her family uped and moved out of the capital.

Joshua you remember in your brief time inside the inner chamber room you were told was used as a clinic of sorts, where the prisoners were being kept that scraps of cloth were stockpiled in one area, no doubt clean sheets for the few cots you saw lined in the room, but they would do for now.

Spoiler: Issarel
    Show
    As you examine the body of the lead cultist you notice very few differences physically between him and the other devils you have encountered so far. He is a few inches taller then the rest, however nothing that would suggest magical potential more then the others jumps out at you. With time perhaps you could determine how this one was different then the others, however that would require a quite place to study what the norm of this diabolic race was and their standard traits followed by comparing it to the one before you.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

Spoiler
    Show
    nobility take 10 for 14.

“Lady Claudia?” Amara replied, “what are you doing here? Are you hurt badly?”
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

"Those foul beast caught me and my caravan when I was traveling home from Uada. You cannot imagine the fine fur garments they have coming out of that little village. All ruined because of these brutes." she says growing angry at the apparent loss of whatever goods she had purchased before being kidnapped. "And only my pride is hurt my dear. Thankfully it seems my husband was smart enough to hire competent people to search for me." she says looking towards Lord Benedict and Crystal, before her gaze moves over to Joshua taking care of the wounded, and lastly Meri who seems to be standing still caught in shock still.

"I must ask why are you here though? This is no place for someone of your status to be Lady Tannin." she notes shocked you would be getting dirty in a mine fighting such hideous creatures.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“I was visiting the town nearby when when I heard some of the emperor’s citizens had gone missing, and there was an expedition about to set off to investigate,” Amara said, “When I volunteered to join, I had no idea you were one of the missing individuals, Lady Claudia, but I’m glad you’re unhurt. Are you hungry or thirsty?”

Amara pulled her water skin and some rations from her pack.

Spoiler
    Show
    bluff take 10 for 24
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Daruk is still in the room we were before, right? Joshua says out loud, but to no-one directly. He wants to ask him, if he could give him a hand, carrying the clothes first, than wrapping the dead bodies in.

After some final preparing, he stands up and walks to the room, he remembers there were the needed clothes. And he wanted to greet the other two prisoners he saved recently (not knowing that they doesn't want to see him...)

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    "You mean something came through?" the woman looks absolutely terrified at this statement as she looks around the shadows as if expecting something to leap out and grab her at any moment. "Yes yes, let's make haste to leave this place at once. I do not want to be here if something was summoned here. Who knows what it is or can do, and I do not want to be offered up a second time."
    Crystal nods sharply in agreement. "I don't think it came through at full strength or there's no reason it would have left us alive. I don't want to be here when it changes its mind! We'll report it to the Silver Knights when we get back to town."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

As Amara spins her story it appears Lady Claudia believes her as she accepts the waterskin and some rations. Taking small sips as if she were in court still, and trying her best to eat rations in a "proper" manner which only becomes more and more amusing as she looks for a way to eat the jerky without using her hands before pulling out a scarf and covering her mouth before eating the jerky. Once she has finished eating she dabs at the sides of her mouth before placing it away once more again. "I don't think I would have had the courage to do what you did my dear. It sounds dangerous and like a good way to ruin a good pair of clothing. Thank you though none the less, tell me is their a carriage waiting to bring us back to town? I don't think I could walk all that way." she says, clearly a pampered person.

"Yes well come along then. Let us wait outside while the gravekeeper does his thing. The quicker we get back to town the faster I can send word to the Silver Knights." she says making her way towards what she believes to be the exit, however as you know is only a turn around.

Spoiler: Joshua and Daruk
    Show

Joshua as you make your way to the room where the prisoners were last seen you see Daruk and Timothy talking to the two remaining prisoners, it is the end of the conversation as you come into view and the two prisoners seem to glare at you as they notice you in the hallway. "We don't need any of your help." the two say almost in union, turning from you to look only to Daruk. It is clear, and no doubt understandable that they are mad at you for killing their friend and do not trust you. However who knows if your actions could change that.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

“All of my proper clothing is currently folded,” Amara said, “and about all this... do you think we could perhaps not mention it to my father? He probably would consider it reckless behavior, no need to worry the old man unnecessarily, right?”

“There isn’t a carriage, unfortunately,” Amara said, “I think everyone will be gathering near the mouth of the cave, that way, once we know we can move the wounded and deceased.”

Amara pointed towards the entrance and then moved to check on the wounded dwarf.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-01-13 at 11:40 PM.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

"I will so long as you don't go telling everyone at the next ball about being kidnapped by those fat ugly little things." she says gesturing to one of the slain devil's as she passes by it with disdain and disgust.

At the mention of no carriage however she seems to stop in her tracks. "I couldn't walk that far even in sensible shoes dear, never mind in these torn things. Add in the malnurishment and sores from the chains...We must find something sensible for us to ride in." she says looking at one of the mining carts for a minute before cringing at a sight only she could see, however you can guess that it is of her arriving dirty into town in a mining cart.