New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Realm of the Dead

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

"Well thats...well..." Oathbreaker, uncharacteristically grim and molified by the violation that has occured not only to him but the others, leans against a crystal for warmth. Letting the book slip out of his hands he says "I want you guys to know that I'm in this with you. You've done me a good turn and that counts for a lot to me. Doesn't happen very often, you understand. I think I owe you guys, even you, you mean elf chick" (he looks at the cloud/miriel).

With this pronouncement his smirk/smile returns and he can't resist the urge to push it too far. "Well with that said, I say we get something to eat, I'm so famished I could eat a baby. You guys want to join in?" Before anyone gets too angry he finishes "I'm kidding! I'm kidding!" but thinks (man I'm hungry...)

Turning to Virmas he shruggs and says "I can't use magic man, sorry"
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-10-22 at 02:01 PM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reseve): Oathbreaker TGH
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reserve): Bloatsack the Vile
    Character for The Arena Tournament (reserve): Pin
    Character for The Grinder: Mr. Stabby

Arena Tournament Medals (courtesy of The_Chilli_God)

Arena Tournament. PvP. Forum Gaming. YES! GO!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Realm of the Dead

Hellstar

"Virmas is right ... we should burn these books. Alaeth, weren't you using a fire spell?" As he speaks, Hellstar is flipping through his notebook to make sure he didn't miss anything that might reveal where he is and who his captors were. Red Wizards, almost certainly, he thought, but I need to know how far up this goes. Did Shzass Tam himself order us to be created? A distant rumble forces him back into alertness. Grabbing nearby books and throwing them in a pile near the trap door, he says hurriedly, "We must start these books burning before the invaders get here. More than likely they will kill us along with our creators, but they might keep the books. They must be burnt. Alaeth, and anyone else who can cause fire, start working on this pile. Everyone else, pile the books or look for a way through that door -- we must leave time for ourselves to escape."
    Spoiler
    Show
    So if Alaeth is the only one who can make fire, can she be setting fire to multiple places in the pile? And before we make the pile itself, so that we're adding books on top of already burning books? I just want to make sure we have good coverage...

After the pile is complete and burning well, Hellstar will check out the doors.

Search - (1d20+14)[16](30)

He can easily shatter small objects, but these doors are too large I think. Now, if he can find the hinges he might be able to shatter those. That's his first plan.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

In a flurry of movement, Ethan (rematerialized while reading the notebook) begins running down the corridor, grabbing all the books he can, and tossing them in the pile to be burned. His mind was distracted with the new memories, they flared like hot embers inside him, but he supressed them, for now. Other matteres were more important, such as survival and the eradication of these arcane formulas.

"I'll collect them, somebody start burning them." Ethan says, before sprinting for another batch of books.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always wanted to be part of a book burning party , here is my chance.
    Background story will be updated soon
    Last edited by Revlis; 2007-10-22 at 12:06 PM.
    "Any language where you can spell "Fun" without "Morally Dubious" or "Immoral" needs to have its priorities re-examined."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    His eye flaring in the abyssal night, the bandaged man whispers softly as he reads over his book, his voice like the rustling of dry paper.
    "Aye, it was at the medic's tent...I remember Mrs. Bridget now. Were there really so many...?"
    Turning a few pages, Noj shudders with rage and revulsion as he reads over the ritual. Reaching his long blackened fingers into the book, he tears out all the pages he can find that contain magical formulae, leaving only those that talk about him directly.
    The shadow scarecrow ducks its head out of Noj's shoulder and grins.
    "That there, in that little book: That was your life, Jon the Miller. 'Subject 45 captured in medical tent around town of Barnard's Cross. Extensive burns on upper body, but skeletal structure promising.' "
    The scarecrow reads a few lines from the book in an austere mocking drawl.
    " 'minor lacerations on legs and hands, strength rated at about 1.6. Tibia/Fibia ratio favorable.'"
    it cackles again
    "Warms the heart, doesn't it, Noj? You're a travesty and an abomination, and a living corpse, but at least your Tibia/Fibia ratio is A-okay! Gwah-ha!"
    Clenching his fist, the towering bandaged man crushes the torn-out pages in his hand, and tosses the crumpled ball onto the growing pile of books, silently with head bowed.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

Before Suzette has the chance to tell anyone what her inspection of the doors reveals, the others begin their fevered burning of the books. Without questioning why, she follows suit. After all, she had had her doubts about their content from the start.

Seeing as there are enough people gathering the books already, she runs back down and scours the dead bodies for anything that might fuel the fire, such as dry rags or even hair.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Oathbreaker will follow Suzette and grab some of the more 'flammable' corpses. "I've heard that it helps guide the spirit to the afterlife. At least thats what the Hathran in Rashemen say" as he begins the macabre task of dragging bodies to the fire.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

With Alaeth's help, the books soon begin to burn and smoke rises towards the ceiling. Burning a hundred books as well as the corpses "Jacob" is carrying is no small thing.

After closer examination, the doors do not appear magically sealed like the trapdoor was though they are quite thick and do not appear to have locks from the inside. Only a couple of minutes into burning the books and examining them though, you hear the hurried steps of men in armor from just outside and keys clinging into unseen keyholes on the outer surface of the left door. You realise some guards must have been alerted from the smoke that passed through the gaps in the doors...

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas stops burning books at the jangling and sets himself against the door, holding it closed (If it opens towards us).
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas moves to block the door then realises that with the locks on the outside, the door almost certainly opens outwards too.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    With surprising quickness, Noj steps stands nearby the smoking pile of paper of corpses and lies down on the cold stone floor, adjusting his limbs to look splayed out, and allowing the the yellow gleam in his eye to dim.
    ((OOC: Noj is going to 'play dead' to try and get the upper hand.))

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Myriel

Standing over her sister's shoulder in mist-form, Myriel reads her own book as her sister leafs through it for her. When the others begin to burn the books she doesn't say anything though she'd like to learn a bit more about necromancy. Returning to her normal form with only a fraction of her strength returning, she stands up straight-as straight as she can in her weakened state-then clears her clothes and the rest of her body from any filth accumulated while battling the tentacly undead guardian. She then turns to her sister and repeats the process then moves to Suzette and does the same if the other woman allows her to ofcourse. She doesn't bother with the men though-unless they ask her. Nicely.
    On hearing the door unlocking, she turns towards it and says to the others:
    It would be best if I did the talking. Stay behind me and look harmless. Ofcourse, try to prepare for combat while doing so-I'll distract them to give us the advantage.
    Turning towards the door, she makes her long, golden hair flow down her shoulders, magically enhances her strength of personality again and lowers the perfectly clean but taterred white dress she's wearing an inch or three.
    And I can be very distractive when I want to.
    IM IN UR WIZARD SCHOOL STABBIN UR HORCRUXES

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

Alaeth aids reluctantly in the book-burning, setting the piles alight with swift bursts of flame. It is not that she doesn't agree that this knowledge must be taken out of the hands of the Thayans, or that she would really want to create more of the dead, but destroying any sort of knowledge is anathema to her. She keeps her own record-book, intact. No matter how foul the ritual, knowledge could teach. She could always destroy it later if they were captured. She smiles gratefully at her sister, both at having her back and at the cleaning.

With the lock rattling, Alaeth moves back and sits down, drawing her knees up and huddling in on herself so as to look harmless. The men coming would know what they were, but the remembrance of what had happened to her could easily have incapacitated her. Surprising that it had not happened to any of the younger ones, really. She stares listlessly at the floor just by the door as she waits for them to enter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+17)[18] to look listless and nonthreatening.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Nodding, Virmas goes incorporeal, raising above the door. Again, his form slips into invisibility.

Spoiler
    Show
    Imagine him laying against the ceiling, invisible.
    (1d20+28)[39] Hide, +40 unmoving invis

Really, do I even need to roll that? LOL
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

Unsure of what to do in such close quarters with an unknown force about to open a nigh-unbreakable door, Hellstar takes a few steps down the stairs and crouches. If they're coming to re-imprison us, we'll have to fight, and with my newfound speed I should be able to pop out from the steps and back down before they can hit me. If they're coming to destroy us ... well I just might let them. We are truly cursed abominations. But it is good that we burned the books. He hadn't noticed Alaeth keep her own notebook, or he would have stopped her.

As he sat huddled down just out of sight from the door, Hellstar was hit with a sudden urge. He was hungry. Unconsciously it was unfocused, but his studies told him for what. And he hated himself for it.

15. - Top - End - #195

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

Myriel's offer to clean her up takes Suzette by surprise - why would someone with unlimited arcane power use it for such a mundane task - but it is gratefully accepted. After all, everybody likes to look presentable.

Being downstairs, Suzette is one of the last to hear that someone is coming. She walks back up the stairs, doubly glad now that she is no longer covered in filth - looking harmless is a lot easier if you aren't covered in the bodily fluids from the previous being you encountered.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

Ethan more than half expected Myriel to clean him up as well, but chose not to ask for it when she didnt offer. Being clean or dirty is a distracting thought to what truly runs through his mind, though his very being: hunger, anticipation, and something bordering bloodlust. He feels the urge to kill, to crush a living life with his newfound power. It was a strange feeling unlike any he'd ever had before.

Slowly, he tries to rein it in, to control himself. However, unsure of how much control he has over his hunting instincts, he decides to turn into mist form once more, and float into the smoke produced by the fire.
    "Any language where you can spell "Fun" without "Morally Dubious" or "Immoral" needs to have its priorities re-examined."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

As Miriel passes him by with passive contempt (despite his god-like form) he has to wonder (Is she just a man-hater or a total bitch? Maybe both...or a lesbian...) Outwardly however he gives his most wicked smile and asks "Oh beautiful one, if you would be so kind as to clean me as well I would be eternally grateful" Bluff (1d20+16)[29] (bitch) <-mental conclusion

Regardless of whether she responds or not, as soon as Oathbreaker hears the jangle of keys in the door he will spider-climb the wall above the entrance and wield a 'club' one handed and at the ready.
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-10-23 at 09:20 PM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

The door opens slowly outwards-it must weight almost a ton seeing as it is several inches thick-to reveal a group of twelve men in black studded leather armor bearing shortswords. They don't look very confident and from their moves you realise they aren't very experienced either-perhaps that's why they were assigned to guard duty even during the battle upstairs.

When you see them, those of you with pointed fangs feel them slightly elongating and some sort of thirst surging within you. You hear their hearts beating within their chests and can feel the heat of their blood coursing through their veins. The vampire's thirst is not very strong though-not yet. Those of you without fangs-or the ability to turn incorporeal-instantly feel your bloodlust rising. These men are your enemies and it would feel good to kill them, to use all that newfound strength to crush their bones, tear them limb from limb. But the bloodlust you feel you realise it is a supernatural, demonic urge that doesn't yet control you. An unreasonable hatred blooms within the incorporeal members of the group-fear that you'll not be accepted in the society of the living, envy for those still alive. Why should they be alive and whole while you are empty shadows? The hatred lasts but a moment then reason reasserts itself...

The group of soldiers at the door is halted in their tracks, one or two of them staring at the fire and the corpses, most of the others staring at Myriel. The apparent leader stares at both the fire and the elf sorceress for a few moments, at a loss for words. Finally, he manages to piece together a few syllables and utter them with difficulty:
    What... who... who are you lady? H-how did you come here? The door was locked, it was.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Myriel

The elf sorceress returns "Jacob's" smile and employs her magic into cleaning him. That doesn't stop her from doing a snide remark-after all, he asked for it.
    Maybe you think me beautiful-most men do and quite a few women-but I don't think you're grateful. Two lies so far-it is becoming a habit, is it not? Just so you know, I am not cleaning you because you asked-but rather because I can't stand the smell. As for your bad luck with women, remember that they don't like being lied to even if they do lie back.
    Cleaning "Jacob's" clothes and body to perfection, Myriel leaves his face dirtier than before. It might be some time until he realised and it would be fun seeing him try to hit on her sister or Suzette with his face like that.

As the door opens, Myriel looks at the patrol leader in the eye and gives a winning smile, not showing teeth ofcourse. She did not want to alarm her next meal. While others may fear the curse of vampirism and try to fight it, Myriel did not see why she had to. Most probably, they'd have to kill these men anyway and why let them go to waste? Besides, she had heard that a vampire drinking blood from a human was almost as good as sex-and much cleaner and faster. She always wanted to try it.
    We are here on Red Wizard buisness, leutenant. Though we do need some help-perhaps you and your soldiers could help us?

Spoiler
    Show

Dominate DC 21. Myriel will give no commands so that the strange behavior from a dominated person won't alert the other guards. She'll command them all after she's dominated them.
    bluff - (1d20+30)[9](39) to make the lead guard believe her.
    IM IN UR WIZARD SCHOOL STABBIN UR HORCRUXES

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

With an effort, Alaeth holds her gaze listlessly on the ground as the doors open, drawing one foot about in a small circle aimlessly. It is difficult not to glance up to see who—or what has come yet, but she manages it.

When she finally does look up, there is a new shock. Since waking, she had not been able to feel a heartbeat. Now, it is almost as if she can feel blood pumping through her veins again, intoxicating and alive. But the feeling had a sharp edge. It was not really hers, she deduces; it was theirs. She had known, or guessed, that she was some type of vampire before. She had not considered what it would mean.

Until now. None of her inner turmoil shows on her face, however, as she glances up at the guards. She finds that she can almost see their thoughts in their eyes, if she concentrates. As her sister informs the men that they are on business of the Red Wizards, she reaches out experimentally, wrapping her own will about one of the men's thoughts as he glances her direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also using Dominate, DC 20. Assuming any of the guards can take their eyes off Myriel, of course.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

All the men now focus on Myriel-no distraction better than a scantily clad female vampire-sparing only glances for the rest of the group. The leader of the guards-Myriel doesn't know his rank and that would be suspicious under most circumstances-thinks about her words when his will is utterly crushed by the sorceress. It was so very easy-like crushing a sheet of vellum into a ball in your fist. Alaeth also employs her dominating gaze against a soldier that glances her way and similarly rips through his mental defences with ease.

One of the guards that doesn't seem as convinced yet as his fellows-or perhaps he noticed the burning books and is a bit alarmed by the fire-frowns at Myriel and the others-those that aren't hiding, that is-and asks:
    But what of the fire? And the corpses? What happened here?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Oathbreaker/'Jacob'

Slinking down the wall silently and standing next to the door Oathbreaker chimes in "You missed out on fighting hundreds of undead baddies friend" *throws severed arm 'club' into the fire* "trashed our equipment and weapons we fought so many. Its been kind of a long day so don't give us trouble now!" He finishes as he attempts to will this man into believing him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+15)[28] [I meant to write +16 so its really 29]
    Dominating Gaze on Mr. Reluctant (how do you figure the dc again? I forgot to write it down.)
    Last edited by Paladin Latham; 2007-10-24 at 04:21 AM.
    Character Sheets:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Alaeth

The man was impetuous, or a fool. Myriel had them well distracted, and there was no reason to suddenly alarm them with the appearance of another person. A far more threatening person in appearance, at that. Still, done was done; she might as well make the best of it.

Alaeth begins to stand, dusting off her dress and shivering slightly—for effect; if she appears shaken by their supposed battle with the dead, so much the better. She allows herself to appear as if her confidence were gradually restoring itself; in truth, the man's weak will had already reassured her that she need not worry overmuch about this group. "That," she chimes, gesturing to the flaming books, "is why we were here. Someone should have thought sooner of a strike on the crypt." Her lip curls contemptuously, as if to add that it was just as well that they had. "As it was, we were unable to prevent many of the records from being lost, along with the guardian."

Spoiler
    Show
    Call it an Aid Another to either Oathbreaker's or Myriel's next bluff, automatically succeeds. And another Dominate against one of the guards. She doesn't command them to do anything yet, except to not alert the other guards to her control and to act naturally aside from that.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas is quite content to float invisibily above the enemies, allowing those others to do the talking. If they can talk our way out of this, so much the better.

Don't be stupid.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hellstar

thump-thump. thump-thump.

There was a conversation going on upstairs, but Hellstar could barely hear it. What was merely a hunger a moment ago was now full-fledged starvation throwing his senses in disarray.

Hellstar bundles up a piece of his ragged shirt and bites down on it. It's caked with dried blood, and only serves to fuel his hunger. He freezes, but his insides are boiling. Goddamn you necromancers!

But secretly, he almost likes this feeling. He wants to climb those last few steps and appear, blood and rags be damned, and use the powers of domination that he knows he possesses. He wants to will the poor fool over to him, where he will move aside that useless head and sink his teeth into the jugular.

thump.

But he won't. At least not right now.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ethan

It was a strange sensation to Ethan, to feel so alive when he lacked a real body. The thirst, the hunger, the need; it was all almost too much. He continues to fight it, and does not submit. He needs them lulled first. For the moment, he remains amongst the smoke, a small cloud of mist indistiguishable from everything else.
    "Soon," He thinks to himself, "oh, so very soon."

27. - Top - End - #207

RedKnightGirl

Suzette

So this is what it is like, being undead. Instead of eating dead things, you want your food to still be alive. No, that is not correct: I don't want to eat these people, I just want to feel them die. Watch the blood run out of them. Hear their last breath escape their frail body. That does not mean I have to go and slaughter anyone who crosses my path, though. I might be dead, but I am still a Senue monk. I will not be the slave of my cravings.

Suzette shakes off her desire to charge and butcher the soldiers and listens to the conversation, casually leaning against the wall.

What are these people, blind and stupid? Can't they see what we are? How can they let themselves be fooled so easily? Let's just hope these soldiers aren't working against the Red Wizards. It still baffles me how the weakminded always try to lie their way out. Not surprising from those who already showed a total lack of selfconstraint. And those books obviously didn't do anything to promote emotional stability. Maybe that's why they were here in the first place, to weaken our minds against our murderous urges.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Noj
    Lying still on the cold stone, Noj experiences...peace. With his abyssal eye closed and his body still, he could almost believe himself dead. It was odd how noisy was the heart and the rush of blood and breath in the body, and how...loud the silence of their absence.
    But then the door opened. The door opened, and the living stepped through.
    Abruptly, the still pool of Noj's thoughts erupt in a malevolent geyser like an underground volcano.
    In a second, the peace and solitude of the moment was shattered, and a maddening itch like straw scraped across the brain replaced the serenity he had been savoring.
    How can anyone relax with the sound of all that BREATHING?! Shrieks the scarecrow in his mind,
    Kill them Kill them KILL THEM!
    Images tinged with red flash through the tall man's mind of his own blackened hands twisting off heads and crushing windpipes...ANYTHING to stop the noise of hearts pumping and air wheezing in lungs. It was grotesque! And there they stood, mocking him just by living!
    But then, amidst the frothing manic sea, a small smooth patch. Not still, like it had been before, but billowing gently, like a field in summer.
    I see. That's the demon-blood...

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

The man "Jacob" tries to dominate scowls at him then points at his face and is about to argue when Alaeth's gaze locks on him too. Myriel crushes the will of another man then another with Alaeth's third victim making six before the remaining six soldiers realise what's going on.
    VAMPIRE!
    Somebody yells and all six of them draw weapons but before they can act, Myriel and Alaeth have enthralled two more and this time "Jacob's" gaze proves strong enough to control the man he attempts to dominate. The dominated men turn and easily subdue the last three and the near-battle ends within seconds as Myriel, Alaeth and Jacob each crush the will of a soldier before the rest of the group can stand up, drop disguises and get close enough.

Spoiler
    Show

Jacob has dominated 2 men. Myriel and Alaeth have dominated 5 each. Noone else tried domination and I resolved the "battle" quickly so as not to lose time. Your decision now is what to do with the captives.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Virmas

Virmas descends, coming visible as he does so. "Whatever you want to do with your new toys, I suggest we at least disarm them." He looks at 'Jacob'. "Not literally, by the way." He then continues on. "A real blade will do us much good. I'd rather have steel in my hands than nothing."

Don't be stupid.