New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Are All Vulcans Lack Emotions?

Personally, I like the idea that the Klingon Empire includes a number of races, conquered and subsumed as the Empire grew, and so "Klingons" might refer to a number of different species.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Personally, I like the idea that the Klingon Empire includes a number of races, conquered and subsumed as the Empire grew, and so "Klingons" might refer to a number of different species.
    That's the direction Star Trek Online went. By 2410, the Klingon Empire now consists of Klingons, Orions, Gorn, Nausicaans, and Letheans.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

That's essentially the old novel explanation. In those (by various authors), the gnarled-forehead variety was a subrace called the "Imperial Race" and was the ruling class, rarely seen by outsiders in the TOS era.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Obviously (to anyone who knows anything called “logic”) logic alone can’t prove a single set of ethical values and social-political priorities, but Vulcans, and Star Trek, has a problem acknowledging that....

If the Vulcans did, they’d basically have to cease to exist. Gone in a puff of logic.
    This is a thing that the series itself has pointed out a couple of times, mostly with the Vulcan concept of beauty. Logic works for them because their goal is "infinite diversity in infinite combinations."

As for whether or not Vulcans have emotions or not,
    Illogical, ILLOGICAL, ILLOGICAL!!

I have little more to add.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That's essentially the old novel explanation. In those (by various authors), the gnarled-forehead variety was a subrace called the "Imperial Race" and was the ruling class, rarely seen by outsiders in the TOS era.
    Although as noted, DS9 kind of shoots that one in the foot by re-introduced actual characters from the original series who now have modern Klingon ridges, and also by having Klingons actually looking different in the past.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.