New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 39 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Ale, Fortune and Math

Morning glow shines upon Mathwin's face as he awakens from a deep slumber. He feels the warmth from the sun shine through the open window and the slightly cooling spring breeze enter and caress his arm. Spring has been a blessing to this city, especially after the long, cold winter. The days have become warmer to the point where Mathwin doesn't feel the need to hide from the cool breeze under the blankets.

He suddenly feels movement coming from under the covers, and hears a murmur, much like a yawn.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-18 at 11:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

Rubbing the sand from his eyes, Mat stretches his arms to the heavens and smiles at the simple, raftered ceiling. The morning brings the smell of bread and salt water on the wind through the window. He also catches the floral scent of the red hair draped across his chest.

Tabitha? Tiffany? Well, it's something like that.

Mocking a loud, ostentatious yawn, he sits up on the bed, waking the girl.

Oh, I do apologize, my sweet. I didn't mean to wake you. He gently kisses her forehead. Standing from the bed, clad only in his skin, he walks to the wash stand and splashes frigid water upon his face. He rubs his teeth with salt and soda and attempts to tussle his hair into a semblance of control. Walking to the small wooden chair in the corner of the room, he dons his plain white shirt and leather breeches, pulling on his leather boots while talking to the young lass.

I do think that Mistress Oparra should have some kind of breakfast for you, love, should you like. Yesterday is was sausages and muffins! Tell her to charge my tab. He pulls his vest over his head. I sincerely wish I could stay a while, but duty calls and I must be off a touch early this morning. He finishes fastening his buttons and cinches his belt. Duty certainly did not call, but he had to get to the town square and take a look at the job postings before all the good ones were taken. Mat grabs to lass's shift and dress and gently folds it on the bed, sitting down next to her and kissing her deeply. Now, if you'd be a dear and get dressed, I need to lock the room before I go. You understand, thieves and all. Mat put on his most winning smile. As the lady rises to get dressed, Mat catches her hand. Now don't get dressed too quickly, lass. Give a man time to admire the art.

Thank Calistria for that particular piece of art, he thinks to himself as he sits on the bed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save:(1d20+2)[5]

4. - Top - End - #4

MonkGuy

The female does exit the bed, fully unclothed when Mathwin approaches to kiss her, but she pulls back from the approach. In a soft, high pitch voice she asks, "I can barely understand a word your saying. Why did you just use my tooth salt? And who is this Opp...ara? Is she your wife?" She voices becomes more aggressive, "Was everything you said last night a lie?!" She moves towards to window and fully pulls back the drapes, to reveal the bright morning sun directly facing the room. As the light hits Mathwin's face, a sudden pain stabs into his head. His arch nemesis returns; the post-ale headache.

Mathwin is barely able to hold back letting the mead and wine he introduced into his body the previous night back into the world, but he has fought this fight for years. He is able to compose himself and adjust to the light, only to realize that he isn't in his room. Taking a second to look around, he recognizes the type of wood used for this building. He must be inside "The Broken Wrench Cellar." He knows the women here are worth the night, but never seemingly to morning.

While Mathwin is discovering this, he hears the female sounding more and more upset, waving her hands around aggressively. She backs him up towards the door before he is able to say another word and shoves him out the door, but stopping before slamming the door and saying "Oh, and this piece of art is called Anca. I hope you admired the view. You'll never see it again!" The door slams and Mathwin’s ear ring. After he re-adjusts, there is finally silence. There is another older gentleman walking down the stairs, who stops and says, "I'll have to ask for her next time!" as he proceed to walk down.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-18 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Highlighting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nursing a splitting headache and a bruised ego, I can't believe I thought it was my room, Mat tries to gain some bearings. He has his clothes, albeit they're a bit disheveled. He checks himself to make sure he has his wand and hat.

6. - Top - End - #6

MonkGuy

After a through check for his items, he does not find anything missing.

As he finishing his check, he hears a semblence of arguing downstairs, and a crash that sounds like wood being cracked.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat draws his stout Rowan wand, trying to focus his eyes in the light of the hall. Making his way downstairs carefully, Mat readies himself for a fight.

No spells studied yet. Better draw two just in case.

Pulling a long, slender Willow wand from his vest, Mat dual wields a wand in each hand. A bit unorthodox, but it works. He remembers his instructors admonishing him for it in the Academy, but ultimately the style hasn't failed him yet.

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGuy

As he turns the corner, he sees no one in the main hall, yet sees a broken wooden table smashes on the floor. After looking around, he notices the bar owner, Kantoe is not at his usual spot by the door, ready to collect the fees for the use of rooms and women. He knows Kantoe to be a nice, romantic man, but not very strong. He doesn't take pay up front, for fear that it will ruin the mood in the moment. This act is not practiced in any other brothel, and his women aren't the prettiest in the town, but many come here looking for love, if not just for one night.

Mathwin knows he hasn't paid yet, but typically Kantoe is more vigilant about customers paying. He then hears a soft groan coming from behind the bar. He recognizes the tone to be similar to Kantoe, but is unable to see him.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-18 at 01:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Very carefully, wands at the ready, Mat looks behind the counter.

10. - Top - End - #10

MonkGuy

Ever ready, as Mat looks over the counter, he sees Kantoe lying behind the counter unconscious and blinded, and also covered in a rainbow of colors around his face and eyes. He has seen this spell, Color Spray, before used by children and beginner wizards to graffiti walls. Kantoe is still unconscious and has not seen Mathwin yet.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A spellcaster, eh? Mat whispers. No worries, mate. You'll be right as rain in no time. sheathing his Willow wand, he draws a jet black Ebony wand in its place. Holding both of his wands ready, but actually charging the Ebony wand to fire at an obvious foe, he searches the area, looking for whoever did this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action to cast Inflict Pain on anyone who looks to be a rival spellcaster. Searching the immediate area for the enemy. Perception: (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-08-18 at 02:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGuy

Mat, ever ready for a chance to prove himself the better caster, walks the whole room, looking for the fiends who attacks this poor frail man. While looking, he hears behind the bar Kantoe start to regain consciousness. "Those damn kids..." he says under his breath. A middle aged women suddenly appears from the stairway, looks at you and screams, as you point your wand around the room.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat sheathes the Ebony wand in his vest and with a flick of his wrist, the Rowan wand disappears back up his sleeve. No need to alarm yourself, mum. Just looking for the ruffians who did this to poor Kantoe. Did you get a good look at them, my man?

14. - Top - End - #14

MonkGuy

The woman, still untrusting of you, runs towards Kantoe for safety. The older man, gives her an assuring gesture and she helps him into a chair. He tries to compose himself as the woman helps him wash his face with a wet rag from the bar.

Kantoe speaks in a frail voice, yet has no issue conveying his point. "I know these young men; Loto, Sigeric and Volker. They have been a pain to me and my girls all this weekend. They've come in here taking girl after girl each night. Every day I try and stop them and they push their way past me. I'm no match for a wizard of the Arcanamirum...they think because they got accepted into the school that they own this town." He looks at you with hope in his eyes, "Sir, they've run up a tab of 50 gold pieces. My girls need to eat, I must protect them. I heard you last night, claiming you were the best wizard Absalom has ever seen. Although you seemed quite drunk, please you must help me! I will reward you!" He snaps his fingers from the girl towards you, who then acts quite helpless while she poses to draw you into her gaze.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Loto, Sigeric, and Volker. Where have I heard those names before? Mat searches his memory for any mention of the Arcanamirium entrants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowlege Local:(1d20+8)[17]

Whoever they are, they can'y just waltz in here like they own the place. Using Color Spray on an innocent . . . business owner. Reprehensible. And I understand why you'd be reticent to call the watch. If they've left for the day then I'll find them at the Arcanamirium. Otherwise, I'll wait for them to come back. As far as . . . compensation goes, you can forgive my tab. Mat the pauses and thinks for a moment. Also, I could certainly use you your friendship. I might occasionally stop in, asking for local scuttlebutt. Does that sound reasonable?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am trying to get him to grant an NPC boon of a bonus on Knw Local.

Mat thinks that as long as these new Arcanamirium students are only of the apprentice level he should be able to beat them one-on-one in duels.
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-08-18 at 07:33 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

MonkGuy

Mat is aware that the Arcanamirium only excepts a handful of students every year, so the class sizes are rather small. Being one of the only wizards in town not currently enrolled at one of these schools, he doesn't know all of the students enrolled, but Loto was the son of a teacher there, Duhyren. Duhyren is a teacher that mostly teaches conjuration magic, but Mat has only heard good things about the teacher. Perhaps the apple fell further from the tree than normal.

After listening the Mat, Kantoe nods forcefully, adding very quickly, "Yes of course! If you help me, consider your tab wiped clean, and I'd happily let you stop by! Who knows when we could help each other! Thank you!" He bows adamantly, and then begins to instruct the women waking to help in back to his place at the door.

It is early morning in the southern area of The Coins. Mat is aware that classes are about to start at the Arcanamirium, but all wizards typically are granted a short leave at mid day. It should be no longer than an hour or 2 walk to reach the Arcanamirium, and Mat residence is not that much out of the way, with plenty of time to spare if nothing should stop him.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-19 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Clarfiication

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat quickly makes his way westward. Through the morning's smells and sights, Mat pulls his hat to shade his eyes from the piercing light and resultant headache.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I don't know how much to post because I don't want to trample you again. Grand plan wise, I would like to:
    1. Walk to Felicia’s Potions (if nearby) to buy a dozen doses of Alchemist's Kindness without getting my pocket picked.
    2. Walk to the Wandering Wastrel (West Coins) without getting my pocket picked.
    3. Grab a bite to eat and flirt with my landlady, asking her about Loto Duhyren, Sigeric, and Volker or, the "new students admitted to the Arcanamirium".
    4. Go upstairs and study my spells for the day.
    5. If I have time, go to the Arcanamirium (Wise Quarter) and ask Vox what he knows about Loto Duhyren, Sigeric, and Volker.
    6. Post/declare a challenge against one of them (I'll know more when I research my foe a little better).

18. - Top - End - #18

MonkGuy

Mathwin laves The Broken Wrench Cellar. As he opens the door, he see the bright light of day rush towards his face. He flinches to avoid the same rush of pain from earlier, but it seems that being awake for a few minutes has calmed his system. Years of drinking has it pains, and benefits it seems.

The southern section of The Coins is always a little slower to start in the morning. Being close to the docks and home to some more of the poorer and more rowdy people in the city typically means late nights/mornings. He sees some Fishers carrying their even earlier morning catches towards the center market place. He notices one of the fish dropping from the bag of a sailor.

Mat calculates his course of actions for the day. There is still plenty of time to spare before midday. He knows that Felicias Potions are closer towards the Ivy District, and his home isn't too far to walk from here. He decides it would be better to stop in at home and study his spells before heading closer towards the north of the city. As he makes his way towards western Coins, it starts to get busier as shops open up for the day. He notices the change in houses as he travel further from the south, from wood and clay to brick. He sees children running towards him and is smart enough to stay clear of them, just in case any of them are pickpockets. Mat has never had a huge problem with pickpockets, they always seem to get caught in the various pockets of his jacket, unable to run before Mat can grab their hand. But he doesn't let a few lucky experiences change his mind set.

As he makes it closer to the Western Coins, he sees a big shift as far as the type of shops available and style of living. This is by far the nicest section of the Coins, very inspired by the even nicer Petal district. There is an occasional Tea shop and ale house, but this section is certainly more residential. He walks through and sees all assortments of houses, from single rooms to family housing. He finally makes it back to his current residence, The Wandering Wastrel. As he walks inside he is greeted as always by Mistress Oparra, Mathwin's heavyset and sweet Landlord. "My Mathwin! Well aren't you in early! I assume another one of Absolom's finest was the recipient of your special treatment last night?" She hints heavily on wanting more information, while laughing almost perversely. You have known Oparra for almost your entire stay here in Ablosom. She put an ad up in the town square for rooms to rent at the exact moment you were looking or a place to stay. You figured you could charm her into a low monthly fee, but in truth she charmed you with her honest demeanor and bright attitude. She doesn't play games with her business, except of course while flirting with Mat. She has more than once mentioned that she could forgo a few days rent, or give Mata couple days extra, as long as Mat would give her some collateral. Mat has never needed this so far, and quite enjoys shamelessly flirting with her, hoping and maneuvering that his charm never harms her emotionally. Mat has never known Oparra to take a lover, and honestly wonders if she ever has.

"I've got a hot meal for you dear, made especially for my favorite resident!" She places a bowl with some sort of ground meat and potatoes, with a biscuit and a small glass of ale in front of Mat.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah, my dear Mistress Oparra, why would I need to find beauty anywhere but here? They all pale in comparison to your radiance. Mat takes off his hat and makes his most flourishing bow to the woman while sending a disarming smile her way. He then sits at the table to eat the meal laid before him. Mat makes sure to check around the common room for any new faces. The ale is cool on his lips and the breakfast filling and well spiced. After finishing his meal, Mat quietly asks his landlady if she's heard of the men who roughed up Kantoe or if she's heard any news about new Arcanamirium students.

20. - Top - End - #20

MonkGuy

Mistress Oparra laughs loudly and blushes at Mat's comment, grabbing his arm in a joking way, yet he can tell she's using this as an opportunity to feel Mat's arm. Mat uses this opportunity to look around the common room. This building holds 6 rooms, a family of 3, other single tenants and mistress Oparra. The family of 3 consists of Elonald, Jess and their son, Hilardo. Mat does not deal with the parents very often, as the father works the docks all day, while the mother sews at an embroider in the Petal District. They both work all day, so Mistress Oppara has taken Hilardo as an assistant. Only 8 years old, he has come to be a great help to Oparra, keeping the area clean and helping cook.

The other tenants have changed over the past few months, passerby’s who stay for a month or two or drunks who can't afford to pay rent and get kicked out. Currently, 2 of the 3 rooms are being rented, by 2 gentlemen who are sailors. Mat has heard from Oparra that they may be leaving soon, so the house might be getting new tenants soon. Mat sees only Hilardo, who smiles at him while he sweeps the floor. The other tenants usually head to work very early, so he has a quiet home during the day.

Mat asks Mistress Oparra about the events earlier this morning. She lets go of Mat's arm and begins to straighten up the tables. " I'm afraid I haven't heard of anything like that happening. But the name Loto does sound familiar. Perhaps they are some of the new students applying at the Arcanamirium this week. Aren't they having the entrance exams this week? Kids these days have too much energy, they need a job and a nice wife!" She chuckles to herself while she cleans the table off.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-20 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Mat thanks Mistress Oparra with a kiss on the cheek and heads up to his room. After closing and locking his door, he gently pries up the loose floorboard beneath which he keeps his spellbook. He settles in at the small table he uses as a desk and begins his reading, preparing his spells for the day. He makes sure to prepare special spells that would be useful in a spellduel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Prepared spells updated in character sheet.

After preparing spells, as long as he's no longer feeling hungover, Mat wants to head to the Arcanamirium and talk to Vox.

22. - Top - End - #22

MonkGuy

d6 Re: Ale, Fortune and Math

After preparing his spells , Mat leaves his room, locking the door behind him. He begins traveling towards the northwest section of the city. Morning is in full motion as he walks past the various buildings he knows well.

After about an hour of walking, he finally makes it to the Arcanamirium. It is a rather large building. He has been here a few times, scoping out the other magicians and competitions. He has won and lost a few duels here, as they are the most equipped to rend harmful damage useless in their fields. Even if Mat wanted to apply here, they only do admissions once per year, as each teacher is granted 1 extra pupil per year. Even though this school has many more resources that his school in Varisia.

He approaches the school just in time when many students are leaving for midday lunch.

Spoiler: Granted check
    Show
    Mat is granted a perception check to find Vox.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d20)[19]

24. - Top - End - #24

MonkGuy

Mat is able to find Vox, a average size male, with long brown hair in a ponytail and glasses, sitting a table reading a rather old looking book, which read "Mysandrs Force" in elvish on the side. He greets you with a friendly handshake.

You remember that same handshake when you met him in The Magicians at Varisia, or, TMAV (Pronounced Tee-Mav) for shorthand. He was a year older, studying evocation magic as well. He was always a bit of a loner, very focused on his work, but he was certainly always nice to everyone. He never got on anyone’s nerves and never really shined bright, and always was a consistent caster.

"Mathwin, it's been awhile, how are you? Keeping up with your studies?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm well, Vox. It's always a pleasure. I study the bottom of a tankard every night, Mat jokes and smiles at his friend. I was actually hoping you could help me out. Word is that a couple of your classmates have been stirring up trouble in the Coins. Sounds to me that they could use a lesson in humility. Loto, Sigeric, and Volker. What do you know about them? How'd you think they'd fare in a spellduel against yours truely?

26. - Top - End - #26

MonkGuy

Vox, looks around cautiously when you mention the names. "Do you mean Loto Ingle? As in Duhyren Ingle's son? You know he's my master right?" Vox looks uncomfortable to speak about the topic around so many people, yet he composes himself to a very neutral tone. " Messy, blacked hair guy, followed by to bigger guys. He is one of the prospects this year of getting into the academy. He's....very convinced that he will be granted admission this year. And Sigeric, and Volker, I wouldn’t worry about them, they can’t tell necromancy from divine spells." He looks around again, and somewhat quietly he says, "You know me, I've always respected the gift of magic, and I wonder if Loto has that same appreciation. I saw him yesterday duel, using a Ki arrow, but between you and me, he's more interested in enchantment spells, such as Sleep and Hypnotism. I heard him bragging about getting a girl to do whatever he wanted last night."

Realizing he might have said too much, he retracts his statement, "But that's only what I heard. I'm am hopeful the rumor isn't true and I can train with him this coming year. If you want to meet him, I would check by the dueling area." He points behind a building of the school, and area you know well.
    Last edited by Leomor; 2015-08-20 at 01:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thank you, Vox. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

Standing and walking to the dueling yards, Mat thinks about his strategy. He needs to get Loto and his cronies to exit school grounds before he teaches the lout a lesson. Looking through the dueling yard for the black haired man followed by two portly fellows, Mat runs through his strategy in his head.

28. - Top - End - #28

MonkGuy

As you walk behind a building, you hear the obnoxious laughter of a young man. Turning the corner, you see a messy, black haired male, no more than 18 years, wand out and laughing. Behind him are 2 heavy set boys around the same age, laughing. The black haired man with his wand out is point towards another student, seemingly a little younger. In front of him is a Viper, hissing and nipping at the young boy. It seems like the man is tormenting the kid with the snake. “I would just drop out now, there’s no way your good enough to be at this school.” the black haired man says while laughing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

With a flick of the wrist, Mat's Rowan wand is out. He want's to disrupt the idiot's concentration without harming him. Why don't you and I take this outside and test yourself against a real wizard, Loto? Leveling his wand at Loto, Mat casts Pants.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save DC 14 negates. Spell Resistance:yes
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2015-08-20 at 01:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Loto Will save
    Show
    Loto Will save- (1d20+3)[10]