New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Enor = Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent or Half-Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent?

This has probably been answered, but I had thought of Enor as a Half-Dragon template put on to a Half-Ogre. But one wiki on OOTS claims that Enor is actually the Half-Dragon template put on to an Ogre.

So which is Enor?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Enor = Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent or Half-Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent?

I'd suppose that his parents were an Ogre and a Blue Dragon, if for no other reason than because he doesn't look like he's got much of anything else in his blood.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Enor = Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent or Half-Ogre parent + Blue Dragon parent?

Based on the last panel of #721, I think it's safe to say that one of Enor's parents was a blue dragon, and the other was a half-ogre.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Why would he be more dragon than ogre? What Gannji says is Ogre who is half dragon (so the ogre has the half dragon template on it), than Enor says he is a half-dragon half-ogre, which I interpret as the same thing but could mean a half-dragon mated with a half-ogre (I doubt this for the same reason as HorizonWalkee).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, have some hopefully more sound and convincing logic:

He say's he's half-dragon, half-ogre. Two halves add up to a whole.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I took the ambiguity to be a joke in its own right.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    This has probably been answered, but I had thought of Enor as a Half-Dragon template put on to a Half-Ogre. But one wiki on OOTS claims that Enor is actually the Half-Dragon template put on to an Ogre.

So which is Enor?
    The wiki tends to get it's info from the Class and Level Geekery Thread, tbf.

Enor is actually infinitely many Half-Dragon templates stacked onto one another, adding up to a single Half-Dragon. It's part of Enor's Paradox, as described by Zeno of Elea.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elnor's family tree:

Halfling --|-- Halfling Blue --|-- Dragon Halfling --|-- Halfling Ogre --|-- Ogre
    Halfling --|-- Blue-Dragon Halfling --|-- Ogre
    Half-Dragon --|-- Half-Ogre
    Half-Dragon Half-Ogre

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If he was just 50% dragon 50% ogre he wouldn’t have corrected Gangi.

10. - Top - End - #10

There's plenty of ways one would find the naming pattern "half A B" offensive.

11. - Top - End - #11

Flumph

"chief gruk-gruk half orc too. other half, also orc" - Precedent*for making fun of "half X" designations.
    But everyone seems to agree Enor had two dragon grandparents and one ogre grandparent at least, it's just whether the fourth was an ogre or something else that's being discussed. Maybe it was a halfling? Enor does go barefoot and enjoys food a lot.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I took the ambiguity to be a joke in its own right.
    That makes two of us.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglemur View Post
    If he was just 50% dragon 50% ogre he wouldn’t have corrected Gangi.
    But Gangi didn't say he was 50% dragon and 50% ogre, he said he was 50% dragon and 100% ogre, which clearly needed to be corrected.

Regardless, I don't think he's any percent human. I believe he had one dragon parent and one ogre parent, which does indeed make him half-dragon and half-ogre.
    Last edited by facw; 2019-09-26 at 03:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You know what, I'm going with yes.

More seriously, I always thought Enor was, as Ganji says a half-dragon ogre, rules-wise.
    Which, as he points out makes him actually a half-ogre.
    After all, if one parent isn't a ogre he can't be a full one.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    You know what, I'm going with yes.
    That's the best answer.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by facw View Post
    But Gangi didn't say he was 50% dragon and 50% ogre, he said he was 50% dragon and 100% ogre, which clearly needed to be corrected.

Regardless, I don't think he's any percent human. I believe he had one dragon parent and one ogre parent, which does indeed make him half-dragon and half-ogre.
    I wanted to make a "Ganges River Porpoise" joke, but aw man it was just off

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    "chief gruk-gruk half orc too. other half, also orc" - Precedent*for making fun of "half X" designations.
    He was named "gruk" for this father, and for his mother he was named "gruk".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    He was named "gruk" for this father, and for his mother he was named "gruk".
    I wonder if that's the rationale behind all the kobolds' names...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

By rules terminology, a "half-dragon ogre" would have two dragon grandparents and two ogre grandparents, while a "half-dragon half-ogre" would have two dragon grandparents, one ogre grandparent, and one grandparent who was something else (most likely human). Mechanically, you can stack on as many half- templates as you want, with each one signifying "half of this, and the other half being whatever the rest of the description was". Like, if a half-dragon ogre had a kid with an angel, the result would be a half-celestial half-dragon ogre.

In common parlance, two halves make a whole, and anything that's half one thing must be half something else. In this case, a "half-dragon ogre" wouldn't make sense, and should be called a "half-dragon half-ogre", and the offspring of that and an angel would be a "half-celestial quarter-dragon quarter-ogre".

We don't know which sort of terminology Enor was using, which creates the ambiguity, hence the joke.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    By rules terminology, a "half-dragon ogre" would have two dragon grandparents and two ogre grandparents, while a "half-dragon half-ogre" would have two dragon grandparents, one ogre grandparent, and one grandparent who was something else (most likely human). Mechanically, you can stack on as many half- templates as you want, with each one signifying "half of this, and the other half being whatever the rest of the description was". Like, if a half-dragon ogre had a kid with an angel, the result would be a half-celestial half-dragon ogre.

In common parlance, two halves make a whole, and anything that's half one thing must be half something else. In this case, a "half-dragon ogre" wouldn't make sense, and should be called a "half-dragon half-ogre", and the offspring of that and an angel would be a "half-celestial quarter-dragon quarter-ogre".

We don't know which sort of terminology Enor was using, which creates the ambiguity, hence the joke.
    "What's the final quarter?"
    "Half-Orc."

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I suppose, if both parents took one look at the kid and said "Yuk", there's one name explained...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Actually, most of the kobolds are from the same family - in Koboldville, incidentally - and with each generation they randomly select vowels and do the "Y*ky*k" pattern. You can differentiate between Kobold families by the name they choose; "Y*ky*k" is one, "*K*lk*l" is another one that lived a few houses over.

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #23

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Actually, most of the kobolds are from the same family - in Koboldville, incidentally - and with each generation they randomly select vowels and do the "Y*ky*k" pattern. You can differentiate between Kobold families by the name they choose; "Y*ky*k" is one, "*K*lk*l" is another one that lived a few houses over.
    I have a new head-cannon. Kolbold has alot of vowels (IPA lists 32, and kobolds may have more than humans).

The consonants in a word just indicate the part of speech/ borad category of noun/ verb/advejective/ name.

The "Y*ky*k" pattern ndicated proper name of a kobold. The *K*lk*l" pattern indicates proper name of a flying kobold.

I'm also picturing a scene where the order meets a bunch of kobolds, who's names are identical except for dialectic marks. Vaarsuvius is unable to differentiate between names like Yœkyɵk and Yɶkyɘk, but Elan is. Elan is sympathetic and understand of Vaarsuvius' limitations, which really relly upsets Vaarsuvius.

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I'm also picturing a scene where the order meets a bunch of kobolds, who's names are identical except for dialectic marks. Vaarsuvius is unable to differentiate between names like Yœkyɵk and Yɶkyɘk, but Elan is. Elan is sympathetic and understand of Vaarsuvius' limitations, which really really upsets Vaarsuvius.
    Hilarious!
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

But, in my humble opinion, the most likely explanation is that his clever partner was talking in game terms, an ogre with the half dragon template applied, while Enor is not enough of a gamer to think like that. He has a dragon parent ans an ogre parent, so half dragon half ogre.

The other explanation would be funnier is Enor was more of a double thinking powergamer than his conversational partner, showing the thought he had put into his build, it's so complex that his buddy can't keep up. A bit like the scene with the half ogre chain attack of opportunity guy. Enor does not strike me as that kind of character. He's too simple.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    But, in my humble opinion, the most likely explanation is that his clever partner was talking in game terms, an ogre with the half dragon template applied, while Enor is not enough of a gamer to think like that. He has a dragon parent ans an ogre parent, so half dragon half ogre.

The other explanation would be funnier is Enor was more of a double thinking powergamer than his conversational partner, showing the thought he had put into his build, it's so complex that his buddy can't keep up. A bit like the scene with the half ogre chain attack of opportunity guy. Enor does not strike me as that kind of character. He's too simple.
    While I agree with you
    thog elegant in thog’s simplicity
    fighter level 3 is dumb level. thog not take
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).