New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Art of War - Diplomacy All-Stars

The New York Times - December 30, 1901

The War in Europe - A Special Report
    As we know our fellow Americans don't like to read the news, we summarize the year of war in Europe in an easy ranking list!

1. France
    France has remained out of the outright conflict so far, preferring to capture the undefended Iberian peninsula instead.

1. Italy (5 SC): The Italians showed an audacity not seen since the Roman days in capturing Munich from under the German's noses.

1. Russia (5 SC): Russia has made gains in both Scandinavia and the Balkans, and appears to be poised to invade Germany

1. Turkey (5 SC): The country with the same name as a bird has shown itself no chicken, gaining ground in the Balkans and positioning itself for further gains in the coming years.

2. Austria (4 SC): Austria-Hungary has survived the coming year, but faces threats on all sides from the bigger powers

2. England (4 SC): England has made inroads into Scandinavia, but its amphibious invasion of Denmark was repulsed by the Germans.

2. Germany (4 SC): While the country had success in conquering the Low Countries, the Italian, English, and Russian invasions leave the future of the country very much in doubt.
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-10-26 at 02:08 PM.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Current and Completed Diplomacy Games

The excellent Gen. George S. Patton avatar courtesy of Tomb_Raven

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm still waiting on build orders from Vexen and Elder_Kin. I've sent them a PM to make sure I get them by tonight.

Therefore, Spring 1902 orders will not be due tonight. The deadlines for this week will be pushed back one day each. That means Spring 1902 Orders are due tomorrow, 30 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-10-30 at 02:16 AM.
    "Il nous faut de l'audace, et encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace" Georges Jacques Dalton

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never peril." Sun Tzu, The Art of War

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Winter 1901 Results

Austria-Hungary: Builds A bud
    England: 1 build was unused
    France: Builds F bre, A par
    Germany: Builds A ber
    Italy: Builds F nap, A rom
    Russia: Builds F stp/nc, A war
    Turkey: Builds A con, F smy

This will also serve as 24-ish hour warning for Spring 1902 Orders, due tomorrow, 30 October at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm still waiting on England/Elder Kin's orders. I've sent him a PM reminder; if I don't get a response by tomorrow night, he'll be a big fat NMR.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spring 1902 Results

Austria-Hungary
    A bud -> rum Bounced with rum 1:2
    A ser supports A bud -> rum Support cut by move from bul, dislodged by bul 2:1
    F tri holds
    A vie -> gal Bounced with war 1:1

England
    NMR, all units hold
    F nwy holds Dislodged from swe 2:1
    F nth holds
    A yor holds

France
    F bre -> eng
    A par -> bur
    A pic supports A par -> bur
    F por -> mao
    A spa -> gas

Germany
    A bel -> ruh
    A ber -> mun
    F hol -> hel
    A kie supports A ber -> mun

Italy
    A mun supports A ven -> tyr Support cut by move from ber, dislodged by ber 2:1
    A ven -> tyr
    F tun -> wes
    A rom -> ven
    F nap -> ion

Russia
    F rum holds
    A sev -> ukr
    A sil supports A war -> gal
    F stp/nc supports F swe -> nwy
    F swe -> nwy
    A war -> gal

Turkey
    F bla supports F rum
    A bul -> ser
    A con -> bul
    A gre supports A bul -> ser
    F smy -> aeg

Retreats:

Italian A mun can retreat to boh or disband
    English F nwy can retreat to nrg, bar, ska, or disband
    Austrian A ser can retreat to alb or disband

Spring 1902 Retreats are due Tomorrow, 1 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

I've decided to postpone the Fall 1902 orders until next Monday, 5 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

It's apparent Elder_Kin is busy, so this delay might keep him in the game. Also, I think the next turn is critical for a lot of powers and you all could use the extra time for diplomacy.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Out for the weekend

I'll be away for the weekend, starting about noon Friday through Sunday evening. I'll have no computer access during that time, so I'll be happy to resume lying to all of you when I return.
    You can have blood, love, and rhetoric, or blood and rhetoric, or love and rhetoric, or just rhetoric.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spring 1902 Updated

Austria-Hungary: A ser -> alb
    England: F nwy disbands No order received. Unit tasked to disband
    Italy: A mun -> boh

In the sake of fairness, if Elder_Kin NMRs the Fall 1902 orders I will order the following for England: A yor -> lon, F nth holds. I hope I won't have to do so, but I think this will be the best solution if I have to find a replacement.

As a reminder, Fall 1902 orders are still due Monday, 5 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Not many hours left warning!
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fall 1902 Results

Austria-Hungary
    A alb -> ser Bounced with ser 2:3
    F tri takes swimming lessons Invalid order, hold order assigned; dislodged from ven 2:1
    A bud supports A alb -> ser
    A vie supports A bud dislodged from boh 2:1, cannot retreat, unit destroyed

England
    A yor -> lon
    F nth holds

France
    A bur supports A mun Support failed: move orders must be supported explicitly
    A gas -> spa
    A pic -> bel
    F eng supports A pic -> bel
    F mao holds

Germany
    F hel -> nth Bounced with nth 1:1
    A kie -> den
    A mun -> boh
    A ruh -> mun

Italy
    A boh -> vie
    F ion -> alb Failed because Austria: alb -> ser failed
    A tyr supports A ven -> tri
    A ven -> tri
    F wes -> tun

Russia
    F nwy holds
    A gal supports A boh -> vie
    F rum -> sev
    A ukr -> rum
    A sil -> ber
    F stp/nc -> bar

Turkey
    F aeg supports A gre
    F bla -> ank
    A bul supports A ser
    A ser supports A Rom -> Par Invalid order, hold order assigned
    A gre supports A ser

Retreats
    Austrian F tri can retreat to adr or disband

Builds
    Austria: 2 disbands needed
    England: 1 build
    France: 1 build
    Germany: N/A
    Italy: 1 build
    Russia: 2 builds
    Turkey: 1 build

Vex, your retreat order is due tomorrow, 6 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

Builds will be due Wednesday, 7 November at 2200 EST

Also, I still did not get orders from Elder_Kin / England. I used the makeshift ones I posted about earlier. I will be looking for a replacement; Vexen, if you want the job since AH is on its last legs you got it.
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-11-07 at 12:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

The New York Times - December 30, 1902

It was a turbulent year in Europe, with many key provinces exchanging hands.

1. Russia (7; +2)
    The Bear has become the leading power on the continent with its conquests of Norway and Berlin.

2. France (6; +1): The snail-eaters continue their slow growth with the fall of Belgium and are poised to become the dominant power in Western Europe. With the weakness of its neighbors, France's prospects seem rosy.

2. Italy (6; +1): Italy was repulsed from its German conquests, but make huge inroads into former Austrian territory, taking Vienna and Trieste.

2. Turkey (6; +1): Turkey expanded its base in the Balkans with the taking of Serbia. With the Austrians effectively crushed, where will it turn to next for expansion and resources?

3.Germany (4; 0): Germany was able to retake Munich from the Italians and gain Denmark, but lost Belgium to the French and Berlin to the Russians. It appears the Germans will soon be swallowed up by the rush of French and Russian forces towards one another.

4. England (3; -1): England was forced out of Norway and with the apparent lack of leadership, looks highly unlikely to survive the next years.

5. Austria (1; -3): Austria suffered crushing blows from Italian and Turkish advances. The stragglers are holed up in Budapest but should be easily crushed by the massive Russian, Italian, and Turkish forces arrayed against them.
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-11-06 at 12:10 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ouch, that stung, Abelard and Moody, but I guess that's what I get for leaving my sides undefended, eh? I commend you on a good job seizing the opportunity when it barks in your face.

Oh, and I believe Italy has 6 territories, not 2. Same with France, also. Although that would be nice if they did have those numbers.
    Last edited by Katonta; 2007-11-07 at 06:03 PM.
    Casatar by, who else? Castaras!

12. - Top - End - #42

BlueKnightGuy

Manhattan, Berlin Fall to Russians

Manhattan may seem like a strange destination for Russian troops, but it was the only contingency Russian strategists had developed for war with Germany. "First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin."

Rogue Italian Fleet in Western Mediterranean Retreats

Although the Italian fleet decided to retreat in the end, it stayed around exactly long enough to give French leaders a scare: the French fleet in the Mid-Atlantic was forced to hold and the army in Gascony was assigned to protect supply lines in Spain.

Germany Conquers Denmark ... Finally

According to Russian leadership, the unification of Scandinavia under the Russian flag is not far off, despite this setback.

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fall 1902 Retreat Phase:

Austrian F tri disbands No order received, unit tasked to disband

The above map has been updated to reflect the retreat phase.

Builds:
    Austria: 1 disband
    England: 1 build
    France: 1 build
    Germany: N/A
    Italy: 1 build
    Russia: 2 builds

24-hr warning: Builds are due tomorrow, 7 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-11-07 at 12:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

The New York Times - January,8 1903

Manhattan Remains in American Hands
    In stark contrast to recent reports from Moscow, the Russians have not occupied Manhattan. While the Russians did attempt to occupy the borough, it was a spectacular failure. New York Civil Defense Headquarters issued the following statement today:

"Let me assure all the residents of Manhattan that the Russian threat has passed and they are once again safe. The Russian attack began with a massed aerial assault of untrained sea gulls. While there as some minor cosmetic damage to our landmarks, no serious damage occurred. The Russians then launched an amphibious invasion of men and women clad in all black. They posed no serious threat, as they mainly stood around on the beach and gazed around dramatically while pop-synth played in the background. After their music stopped, we rounded them up and placed them under protective custody on Governor's Island. The attack seemed poorly planned, as the only document we recovered was a crumpled piece of paper bearing "MANHATTAN" on one side and "BERLIN" on the other. While we remain vigilant, New Yorkers have nothing to fear."

15. - Top - End - #45

Not to be cruel, but who is playing England now? I need to know whose butt to kiss.
    You can have blood, love, and rhetoric, or blood and rhetoric, or love and rhetoric, or just rhetoric.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vexen has agreed to take over as England, as Austri-Hungary is pretty much kaputt. From one fixer-upper to another, I guess

Unless I received word from Vex, the deadlines will remain as they currently stand (builds due today, moves due Friday). If he or someone else requests more time, we'll move the build deadline to Friday and the Spring 1903 move deadline to Monday.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Winter 1902 Results

Austria-Hungary: Disbands A alb
    England: Builds F lvp
    France: Builds A par
    Italy: Builds A ven
    Russia: Builds F stp/sc, A war
    Turkey: Builds F smy

Spring 1903 Orders are due Friday, 9 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

New Prime Minister
    England is proud to have recently elected a new prime minister, to bring stability in these troubled times. Prime Minister Vexen was sworn in yesterday after winning the election by an unbelievable landslide, that had absolutely nothing to do with several rotten buroughs or bribed officials.

Prime Minister Vexen, announced in his election speech that he wished to make sure that he was not confused with the previous leader of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, it is merely a coincidence in names. "I definitely did not sneak into this country before the quick demise of Austria, disguise myself as a citizen, rig the election, only to place myself in a position of power again. And as for this accent, it is completely false, I do it because I think it makes me sound distinguished."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

24-ish Hour Warning: Spring 1903 Orders are due Friday, 9 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

20. - Top - End - #50

Once again, I shall be away for the weekend with no access to the game. I'll be back Sunday night. Play nice.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spring 1903 Results

Austria-Hungary

A rum holds

England

A lon -> hol Convoy path lon -> nth -> hol
    F nth convoys A lon -> hol
    F lvp -> cly

France

A bel supports A bur -> ruh
    A bur -> ruh
    F mao holds
    F eng holds
    A par -> bur
    A spa -> gas

Germany

A mun -> ber Bounced with ber 1:1
    A boh -> mun Failed because German A mun -> ber failed
    A den -> swe
    F hel -> den

Italy

F ion -> eas Bounced with smy 1:2
    F tun -> ion Failed because Italian F ion -> eas failed
    A vie supports A tri -> bud
    A tri -> bud Bounced with rum 2:2
    A tyr -> boh Failed because German A boh -> mun failed
    A ven -> tri Failed because Italian A tri -> bud failed

Russia

F bar -> nwy
    A ber supports A war -> sil Support cut by move from mun
    A gal supports A rum -> bud
    F nwy -> ska
    A rum -> bud Bounced with tri 2:2
    F sev holds
    F stp/sc -> bot
    A war -> sil

Turkey

F aeg supports F smy -> eas
    F ank -> bla
    A bul -> gre
    A gre -> alb
    A ser supports A gre -> alb
    F smy -> eas

No retreating units, retreat phase skipped

Fall 1903 Orders are due Monday, 12 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fall 1903 Results

Austria-Hungary
    A bud holds Dislodged from rum 3:2, no retreat possible, unit destroyed

England
    F cly -> nwy
    F nth supports F cly -> nwy
    A hol supports A ruh -> kie Support failed. Supported unit's order does not match support given. Dislodged from bel 2:1, no retreat possible, unit destroyed

France
    F eng -> lon
    F mao -> iri
    A bel -> hol
    A bur -> mun
    A gas -> bur
    A ruh supports A bel -> hol

Germany
    A swe -> den
    F den -> bal
    A boh -> sil Bounced with sil 1:1
    A mun -> kie

Italy
    F ion holds
    A tri supports A bud hold Support cut by move from alb
    F tun supports F ion hold
    A tyr -> mun Bounced with bur 2:1
    A ven supports A tri
    A vie supports A bud

Russia
    A ber supports A bur -> mun
    A gal supports A rum -> bud
    F bot -> swe
    F nwy supports F bot -> swe
    F ska supports F bot -> swe
    A rum -> bud
    F sev holds
    A sil supports A bur -> mun Support cut by move from boh

Turkey
    F aeg supports F eas -> ion
    A alb -> tri Bounced with tri 1:2
    F bla -> rum
    F eas -> ion Bounced with ion 2:2
    A gre holds
    A ser supports A rum -> bud

Winter 1903 Builds
    Austria: eliminated
    England: N/A
    France: 3 builds
    Germany: 2 disbands
    Italy: N/A
    Russia: N/A

Winter 1903 Builds are due Tomorrow, Tuesday 13 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-11-12 at 10:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

The New York Times - November 31, 1903

1. France (9, +3): The French have made great strides in 1903, with the invasions of England, Holland, and Germany all off to successful starts. The current French premier seems to have learned Napoleon's mistake and has invaded England. Things look rosy for the Fifth Republic (we think it's the fifth, but honestly who cares?).

2. Russia (8, 0): The Russians have kept themselves near the top of the European leader board with their capture of Budapest. However, with Rumania ceded to the Turks and their northern fleets tied up dealing with a German incursion, they made no progress their. Look for them to mop up Germany with the French in 1904.

3. Turkey (7, +1): The Turks have steadily increased their holdings in the past three years. Their conflict with the Italians will occupy them in the next year.

4. Italy (6, 0): The Italians were forced on the defensive in the Balkans and the Med in response to Turkish attacks. They will need to find a friend if they want to fight the Turks and their potential Russian ally.

5. Germany (2, -2): The German Empire has been crushed under the combined weight of the Franco-Russian alliance. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the youngest nation in Europe will not last to see its 35th anniversary.

6. England (2, -1): The English were obviously caught unawares by the French invasion. With their forces out of position, Liverpool will fall easily and the English will be left clinging on to life.

7. Austria-Hungary (0, -1): 1904 marked the end of the Austria-Hungarian Empire. While Vienna and Budapest are still controlled by the Dual Monarchy, they are now the King of Italy and Czar of Russia.

Saratoga Springs Odds Calculators

Greetings to all those betting on the outcome of the European war in Saratoga! Here are your updated odds:

France: 5:1
    Russia: 7.5:1
    Turkey: 10:1
    Italy: 20:1
    England: 50:1
    Germany: 100:1

Good Luck!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Winter 1903 Results

Germany: Disbands A kie, A boh
    France: Builds F bre, A par, F mar
    Turkey: Builds F con

Spring 1904 Orders are due Thursday, 15 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

The New York Times - January 15, 1904

European Presses Silent

While Europe has been wracked by war since the dawn of the Century, very little information is to be had from the combatants. The only voice in all of 1903 has been that of our illustrious paper. Apparently all of Europe is consumed with strategic thinking and can find no time for public relations.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Upcoming Schedule

As we are fast approaching Thanksgiving, I am posting the following schedule for your perusal. If there are any conflicts or changes needed please let me know.

Thu, 15 Nov: Spring 1904 orders due
    Fri, 16 Nov: Spring retreats due
    Sun, 18 Nov: Fall 1904 orders due
    Mon, 19 Nov: Winter 1904 builds due
    Mon, 26 Nov: Spring 1905 orders due

This will place us at a natural break point over the week of Thanksgiving.

OoC: Yay! Sextuple post madness! And goddamn, can you all at least post something? Even something like: "LOLZ!!1! Teh Swiss got pwnd!" would be acceptable in my desperate state.
    Last edited by Elektro; 2007-11-15 at 02:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

BlueKnightGuy

ZOMIGODZ! TeH Swiss be pwned! LOLZ!!!1!!!1!

-Albert Einstein

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

It goes to fast for me to be witty. I am still confused as to which moves I sent in. I was thinking of changing them again but I think I have missed the deadline.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Vexen View Post
    It goes to fast for me to be witty. I am still confused as to which moves I sent in. I was thinking of changing them again but I think I have missed the deadline.
    ITA. By the time I come up with some stuff to say, the next orders are due and it is out of date. Sigh, a casualty of the brisk pace.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spring 1904 Results

England
    F nth -> yor
    F nrg -> nao

France
    F bre -> eng
    F lon supports F bre -> eng
    A par -> gas
    F iri -> lvp
    F mar -> spa/sc
    A bur -> bel
    A hol supports A bur -> bel
    A mun supports A ber -> kie Support failed. Supported unit's order does not match support given
    A ruh supports A ber -> kie Support failed. Supported unit's order does not match support given

Germany
    A den -> swe Bounced with swe 1:1
    F bal -> lvn

Italy
    A tyr supports A tri
    A ven supports A tri
    A tri supports A vie
    A vie supports A tri Support cut by move from gal
    F ion holds
    F tun supports F ion

Russia
    F nwy -> nth
    F ska supports F nwy -> nth
    F swe -> den Bounced with den 1:1
    A sil -> boh
    A ber holds
    A bud supports A gal -> vie
    A gal -> vie Bounced with vie 2:2
    F sev holds

Turkey
    F con -> aeg
    F eas supports F con -> aeg
    F aeg -> gre
    A alb supports F aeg -> gre
    A ser supports F aeg -> gre
    A gre -> bul
    F rum supports A gre -> bul

No retreating units, retreat phase skipped.

Fall 1904 Orders are due Sunday, 18 November at 2200 EST (0300 GMT)

OoC: Please excuse the lateness of this post. My RAM on my home computer has decided this would be a good time to crap out, what will all the med school application deadlines and all.

And Moody, thanks. That was nice. Vex and Abelard, I understand the pace problem. However, if you all ever find the time, it'll make me happy (and that's never a bad thing).