New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default What works with this party?

First post on GITP!
    I am retiring my Mystic character after going through a (heavily edited) DOIP, and am looking for a suggestion on a new character, because the DM decided to continue with homebrew content. This campaign is a pretty even split between intrigue and combat, with combat slightly edging out most of the time. The party consists of:
    A Sea Elf Hexblade Warlock
    A Elf (forget what type) Circle of the Land Druid (who prefers to only cast ice knife in combat)
    A Human (variant) Totem Warrior Barbarian
    A Human (variant) Sun Soul Monk
    A Loxodon Tempest Cleric

I'm leaning towards a bard or a rogue, since our warlock isn't really a good party face. We can use all Unearthed Arcana, including feats. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for the replies guys! I probably should mention that everyone in the group dumped INT, so I might need to fill that role somehow. We also are doing more then enough damage, with the DM giving the Hexblade more buffs (It somehow does even MORE damage ), and gave the Barbarian some magical items early on.
    Last edited by WadeWay33; 2019-10-18 at 08:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: What works with this party?

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWay33 View Post
    First post on GITP!
    I am retiring my Mystic character after going through a (heavily edited) DOIP, and am looking for a suggestion on a new character, because the DM decided to continue with homebrew content. This campaign is a pretty even split between intrigue and combat, with combat slightly edging out most of the time. The party consists of:
    A Elf (forget what type) Circle of the Land Druid (who prefers to only cast ice knife in combat)
    A Loxodon Tempest Cleric

I'm leaning towards a bard or a rogue, since our warlock isn't really a good party face. We can use all Unearthed Arcana, including feats. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
    Lore Bard would be a good fit for your party, Rogue is nice too but you're lacking a bit of magic utility, maybe an Arcane trickster with the Ritual Caster Feat?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

What about an Ancients Paladin? Fits the face, gives some more magic, Andy can lay down some serious damage.

AT rogues is also a good choice.

Also look at glamour bard. That could be pretty awesome in that.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    What about an Ancients Paladin? Fits the face, gives some more magic, Andy can lay down some serious damage.

AT rogues is also a good choice.

Also look at glamour bard. That could be pretty awesome in that.
    I second this. I am biased because Arcane Trickster is my favorite subclass, but an AT Rogue with expertise in Investigation will help with trap detection and loot rolls (since everyone dumped Int). Make sure to start with 14 or 16 Int as it scales well with Magical Ambush.
    Last edited by Expected; 2019-10-18 at 08:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Seconding Bard or Rogue. Bard generally makes for a superior Face- Lore is always good but Glamour and Whispers are well-situated for social/intrigue-heavy campaigns. Arcane Trickster is great for an INT-averse party, Swashbuckler doubles well as a Face, and Inquisitive and Mastermind are again great for intrigue campaigns (but still good at combat!)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Arcane Trickster sounds like your playstyle and definitely fits in a party so caster heavy, but I'll also mention Artificer as an option, for a bit more magic utility, Extra Attack, and the ability to go Int SAD.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Controller Wizard sounds amazing for the party, but certainly a Lore Bard would also work. You're missing arcane magic (and control magic in general) and heavy on fighting already so out of your two options I'd err on the side of Lore Bard over Arcane Trickster, but if you're more enthralled by the Trickster, go for it. Certainly, you'll probably be fine either way; that is a fairly well-rounded party.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You need a wizard

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WadeWay33 View Post
    First post on GITP!
    A Loxodon Tempest Cleric

EDIT: Thanks for the replies guys! I probably should mention that everyone in the group dumped INT, so I might need to fill that role somehow. We also are doing more then enough damage, with the DM giving the Hexblade more buffs (It somehow does even MORE damage ), and gave the Barbarian some magical items early on.
    Lore Bard or Diviner Wizard is what I'd recommend, and I'm leaning more toward the latter. Particularly since you've said the party dumped Int, having a high-Int character would be very useful, and Diviner is one of the best Wizards there is. Your party already has one or even two (depends on Cleric's loadout) beefy front-liners, two solid damage-dealers, and a utility-focused caster. Wizard compliments all this nicely, given Druid and Wizard have nearly zero overlap in ritual spells, and Wizard has an excellent list of them. Diviner is also arguably the best support-heavy Wizard archetype, meaning you'll be a great team player. However, Illusionist and Conjurer are both contextually good options, particularly if you reach higher level--Illusory Reality (level 14) is extremely strong control, and Focused Conjuration (level 10) is the one and only way to obviate the usual drawbacks of Concentration (and stuff like web, Evard's black tentacles, and far step are all GREAT spells for avoiding broken Concentration via damage, the last in particular.)

Lore Bard is still good, though, particularly since it's so flexible: you can set your focus on whatever the group isn't doing. Need control? Bard's already good at that, and magical secrets make you even better. Everyone dumped Int? Make it your third-best stat (after Cha and Dex) and focus your Expertise on critical Int skills (Arcana, Religion, Nature, and Investigation are all great). Social stuff? Bard's amazing at it from day 1. Etc.