New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1183 - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    What? I have no knowledge of anything related to tabletop gaming in 1913 (32 years after president Garfield's death, and neither does Google), and I can't find any founder of this genre who qualifies as a sci-fi author.
    Herbert George Wells published a book called Little Wars in 1913, which contained simple wargaming rules for toy soldiers. This is considered to be the first commercial "table"top (it was actually intended to be played on the floor, but whatever) wargame, as the Prussian Kriegsspiel games of the 19th century were intended for purely military use.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

it breaks the pre-established rules of her shapeshifting, making the twist likely land a bit flatter.
    It's not a pre-established rule if it's not established as a rule.
    The fact she's never done it, apparently, does not mean she cannot do it.
    Both the 3.5 rules and the simple logic say she should be able to change her skin color if she wants to.

I've honestly never paid attention to this before you mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    She can, but she chooses not to.
    This is indeed exactly what we have seen so far.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Re: The artifact, it can’t be anything that belongs to the main characters (vilains included) since Cedrik already has it. So it’s most likely a brand new doomsday device. Hmm, does anyone recall what happened to the talisman Nale was after? Weren’t the Directors the one that tipped him about it in the first place?
    The talisman was shattered. However, if it's a proper artifact, it can't be permanently destroyed without a special procedure of some kind. And nobody picked up the pieces; the Directors could have retrieved them and reassembled them.

I have been wondering for a while if the Monster in the Darkness was from an older edition of D&D. If so, and the Directors did salvage Dorukan's Talisman, it might become their most potent weapon.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I doubt it, he's a little too paranoid for even a succubus to fool. That, and I seem to recall him saying that he tripped a trap some time ago that castrated him, so it doesn't seem he'd be interested in Sabine's hypothetical advances.

Sterilised, not castrated.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Shirra is recording a book value loss for them. Moreover, since her company doesn't mine rubies, presumably she paid (or traded) for them.

Funnily enough, her giving them to V for free sidesteps the issue. The value is what *she* records (or paid) for them. If, OTOH, she traded them to V for "mates' rates", THAT would be the value and they'd be useless
    Shirra is probably grateful for the chance to indirectly (and of course only partially) pay back Durkon's mom by helping Durkon's friend, since getting Durkon's mom to accept wealth directly is like pulling teeth.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2019-10-22 at 11:47 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I doubt it, he's a little too paranoid for even a succubus to fool. That, and I seem to recall him saying that he tripped a trap some time ago that castrated him, so it doesn't seem he'd be interested in Sabine's hypothetical advances.
    Just because you're shooting blanks, doesn't mean you don't enjoy shooting

7. - Top - End - #247
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    The talisman was shattered. However, if it's a proper artifact, it can't be permanently destroyed without a special procedure of some kind. And nobody picked up the pieces; the Directors could have retrieved them and reassembled them.
    That only applies to Major artifacts. Minor artifacts are more easily destroyable.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Funny but probably not going to happen: IFCC pull Vs soul just to make an awkward pause 3 minutes long.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Does this strip tell us that Nero & co are not affected by the memory wipe?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    They said all of those got reabsorbed into their planes, but I'm assuming these three have been told what the deal is by their god(s). Theres a bit of a mish mash of different theological tropes going on here. Hel's hell doesn't seem to be the same as the one the directors live in. But there are lots of planes, so its not really an issue. The point is they want more worlds built around fighting and conflict forever. Its a wonderful subversion for me. When the had that panel when they were tempting Varsuvius I thought they wanted the world to not be destroyed because they wanted the conflict of this world to go on, but now that we know that this might all get fixed, it changes it entirely.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm going to be a bit sad if when we first see our favorite succubus in the new artsyle, and she isn't dressed like Jenny from page 622 or Haley from the end of 752.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

I just thought of this. Does the idea that Sabine is using her vaction days mean she DOESN'T KNOW she's supposed to be retrieving this "vessel" for them, but they know her well enough to know she will encounter and grab the vessel when she finds it? Either because it's part of her scheme (like something to rescue Nale's soul or something), or just direct rewards if she finds something useful being a standard policy.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    No? There are any number of ways they could have collected information on the Snarl, like constantly watching (at least one of) our heroes who talk about it fairly often enough.

And they didn't even actually directly mention the Snarl here,
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    No? There are any number of ways they could have collected information on the Snarl, like constantly watching (at least one of) our heroes who talk about it fairly often enough.

Hell, we even watched Sabine learn about the Gates and immediately rush off to tell the Archfiends.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    They've used "vessel" to refer to a body before, it'd make a lot of sense for Sabine to view finding a body as mixing business with pleasure, the next world could be Eberron and the IFCC's "artifact" is actually a quori spirit from the future that can't act on the material plane without a host (even if it isn't an "actual" Empty Vessel raised and trained for the purpose of being possessed)....Okay maybe the last part isn't serious.
    Reading this post gave me an idea: what if the vessel is Nale? She would certainly enjoy "fetching" his soul, so if she was retrieving him on the IFCC's orders, that would combine both business and pleasure. And if they bring his revived body and/or soul on the Material Plane - even as a "vessel" for some other thing - that could easily lead to a scenario where she betrays the IFCC in an attempt to keep a revived Nale alive after their purpose for him has expired.

Sure, by RAW he should already be a mane or something, but it wouldn't be the first time the comic deviated from a traditional interpretation of how the D&D multiverse works.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Reading this post gave me an idea: what if the vessel is Nale? She would certainly enjoy "fetching" his soul, so if she was retrieving him on the IFCC's orders, that would combine both business and pleasure. And if they bring his revived body and/or soul on the Material Plane - even as a "vessel" for some other thing - that could easily lead to a scenario where she betrays the IFCC in an attempt to keep a revived Nale alive after their purpose for him has expired.

Sure, by RAW he should already be a mane or something, but it wouldn't be the first time the comic deviated from a traditional interpretation of how the D&D multiverse works.
    Nale's vessel was disintegrated. I'm betting its Tarquin.

17. - Top - End - #257

Lizardfolk

If anything, they thought world destruction was good for them. Either they're demigods and so high enough on the food chain that they don't get formatted (which, last time I checked, they were non-divine) or they don't know about the world reboots and are working off Shojos story along with other incomplete information.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Nale's vessel was disintegrated. I'm betting its Tarquin.
    Something I've had pointed out to me - this line of thought of "Sabine is definitely targeting Tarquin" comes with the implicit assumption that Sabine should be able to easily acquire Tarquin's body. That is, um, not anything we have reason to assume.

But, looking back at the strip I noticed something - Lee mentions this vessel with the indefinite "an" not "the" like everyone has been discussing it in terms. Which makes me doubt the specific person, assuming it even is a person will actually matter.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

19. - Top - End - #259

Something I've had pointed out to me - this line of thought of "Sabine is definitely targeting Tarquin" comes with the implicit assumption that Sabine should be able to easily acquire Tarquin's body. That is, um, not anything we have reason to assume.

But, looking back at the strip I noticed something - Lee mentions this vessel with the indefinite "an" not "the" like everyone has been discussing it in terms. Which makes me doubt the specific person, assuming it even is a person will actually matter.
    I'm pretty sure that "an" means that the IFCC doesn't need anything too specific, just something that is "appropriate", but the mixing business with pleasure thing likely means that Sabine does care what this vessel will be.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

20. - Top - End - #260

I'm pretty sure that "an" means that the IFCC doesn't need anything too specific, just something that is "appropriate", but the mixing business with pleasure thing likely means that Sabine does care what this vessel will be.
    That line seemed to be in reference to how she was using her vacation days, but still decided to do some work. Not about her specifically caring about this vessel for personal reasons (like revenge, as seems to be the thought process in it being Tarquin).

But since we're talking about this, can succubi even possess people. I get why demonic possession would be the go to place considering who is talking, but is that a thing?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe Sabine is using her own time to try to find a new body / vessel for Nale's soul and it somehow work in favor of the IFCC.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

22. - Top - End - #262

DwarfClericGuy

Wait a minute- won't this forcecage not work since it was a free amount of ruby dust and not the XXX gold amount that the spell requires?

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Wait a minute- won't this forcecage not work since it was a free amount of ruby dust and not the XXX gold amount that the spell requires?
    I'd guess it cost exactly as much as Shirra payed for it, because somehow I doubt Rich, who only occasionally cares about RAI (I'm honestly still shocked he wrote in V getting some rubies specifically for a Forcecage), would actually care about this RAW when not making a joke about the RAW being dumb (see, last time he made fun of it).
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Maybe Sabine is using her own time to try to find a new body / vessel for Nale's soul and it somehow work in favor of the IFCC.
    And he gets a soul splice? Because it's a once a century deal; we haven't done one in 100 years, and we won't do another in another 100 years? Director LEe came up with that one.

Oh, and Nale blows total arcane power way worse than V did...

I like it. It won't be what happens, but I like it.

25. - Top - End - #265

So was I like the only person to think Sabine mixing business with pleasure just meant she was having random sex hook ups while doing whatever the Directors sent her to do?

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    So was I like the only person to think Sabine mixing business with pleasure just meant she was having random sex hook ups while doing whatever the Directors sent her to do?
    Probably not, I disagree with it though (although it is reasonable) because she does that all the time, they explicitly say she's on vacation first, I wouldn't count her having hookups as a vacation because that's no different than her non-vacation time (like returning to the IFCC way back when we first met them), I'd say grabbing the vessel is a side-mission to, whatever she's doing, remaking a Linear Guild, trying to kill Tarquin, trying to revive Nale, sleeping around 100 times more than usual to get over him.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Believe it's more a question of taking targets of opportunity.

Sure Sabine may be in vacation, but if she sees an easy chance to corrupt some extra souls for the lower planes or drain vital energy from suckers, would be a waste to just pass them up.

Succubus aren't "freedom and healthy sex just for the sake of fun, woot!". They're the manifestation of unhealthy sex, getting one addicted and manipulating them until they're nothing but an empty husk (or a pile of dust in Nale's case).

And before anyone goes "But Sabine truly loved Nale and had the best intentions for him", you know what they say about the road to hell being paved with.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-10-23 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

28. - Top - End - #268

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Hell, we even watched Sabine learn about the Gates and immediately rush off to tell the Archfiends.

Just because she didn't know doesn't mean that they didn't know.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Believe it's more a question of taking targets of opportunity.

Sure Sabine may be in vacation, but if she sees an easy chance to corrupt some extra souls for the lower planes or drain vital energy from suckers, would be a waste to just pass them up.

Succubus aren't "freedom and healthy sex just for the sake of fun, woot!". They're the manifestation of unhealthy sex, getting one addicted and manipulating them until they're nothing but an empty husk (or a pile of dust in Nale's case).

And before anyone goes "But Sabine truly loved Nale and had the best intentions for him", you know what they say about the road to hell being paved with.
    Nale died because he told his father not to give him special treatment after killing his father's best friend. Now I'm sure things wouldn't have worked out that exact way if he wasn't dating Sabine for one thing he wouldn't have all those potions, but blaming her for his death makes about as much sense as blaming Belkor for Roy's death. Nale's grudge with Malak had more to do with his father or Malak himself than with Sabine (if I had to guess he's pissy because Malak's taking his place as his fathers legacy), and his defiance is a result of the way he was raised by his father more than Sabine.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Banned

Zombie

The "an" thing is a good point, but another explanation is that they dont think of the vessels as people, they think of them as things. As far as SAbine goes, getting revenge on the person that killed Nale by tempting him into getting bound to the IFCC and eternal damnation sounds like a pretty succubus thing to do to me. Plus conservation of detail and all, They would just say who/what it is if it wasn't supposed to a surprise.