New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1184 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Arkain View Post
    maybe it's a (social) class marker or something else entirely.
    Maybe both Durkon and Sigdi are time traveling Sabine, and Sabine likes accents.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"If'n it comes back now... am I still holding it?"
    So brilliant...

Also, I really like the title!
    What can change the nature of a man?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Sigdi lived for fifty years without that arm, Tenrin died at the moment it was severed. Sigdi spent fifty years thinking of herself as the woman who's arm is still holding to Tenrin's corpse. Last Tenrin saw of Sigdi she had her arm. If anybody (like Durkon's grnadfather for example) told him that Sigdi refuses to Regenerate her arm out of some weird concept of loyaly to him, he'd probably react the same way Durkon just did.
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Other than Sabine completely impersonates the blacksmith, you mean. Or Dave.
    She didn't completely impersonate the blacksmith though. She looked nothing like him. And that is a really, really big piece of evidence that she can't change her skin color. After all, if you have the ability to perfectly duplicate the person you are impersonating, why wouldn't you use it?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2019-10-30 at 03:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Terry Pratchett has, a couple of times, described the higher-dimensional view of a living creature: sort of a four-dimensional carrot, tiny at one end, growing rapidly, then growing slowly to its other end. That doesn't take into account the fuzziness caused by the exfoliated bits... nor the excreta.
    See also the concept of Ungue, as practiced by the goblins in Snuff

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    I can't argue with that.
    Neither can I. Sandwiches are key to OOTS universe.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'd have thought Durkon would already know the answer...

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    She didn't completely impersonate the blacksmith though. She looked nothing like him. And that is a really, really big piece of evidence that she can't change her skin color. After all, if you have the ability to perfectly duplicate the person you are impersonating, why wouldn't you use it?
    Perhaps shapeshifting requires a great deal of concentration (not necessarily in game terms, but maybe that, too) so she prefers to only shapeshift what is necessary? Perhaps the dwarf blacksmith wasn't particularly well-known, or the business not that successful, to where she felt she could get away with not changing the skin tone?

In any event, I again would like to state that analysis of characters based solely on the color of their skin makes me deeply uncomfortable, and I'd be willing to bet The Giant feels similarly.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Samiel_Fronsac View Post
    Durkon's mom is awesome!

Minrah's mom need to lay off on the passive-agressive!

Thanks for the comic, Giant! We love your stick figures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crœsos View Post
    "Eventually . . . after some unrelated battle". Not necessarily right now.
    "Go if you must, Minrah, but remember I expect grand-children from you before you go to Valhalla!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elvensilver View Post
    I really like Sigdi, she'd make a good paladin -but - that's just sad. Dwarfish society seems to be so focused to please a higher being, to be responsible for others, that any personal wishes are seen as unhealthy. Now Hilgya's behaviour looks more reasonable in comparision - it is not moraly excusable, but it is more understandable. Especially if there is no middle ground for Dwarves between Loki and Thor.
    Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    I feel like everyone's missing the point with this talk about how Sigdi is stuck in her ways and how soul crushing dwarven culture must be.

It's not that she doesn't want the arm back. It's that she wants to make sure Durkon is obligated to return alive.
    I think it's less dwarven culture as a whole and more Sigdi still grieving. She lost her husband; she never moved on (she says she never let go, but this is what it really means: she's not done being Tenrin's wife). I don't think she believes she can feel happy without him. She certainly doesn't feel whole, so why should she care her body isn't whole?

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    I was kinda expecting a cutaway panel in the end to Valhalla with Tenrin actually still holding the hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    How do you know? Roy's grandfather had the family sword in his afterlife just because he thought he should have it there. I don't see why Sigdi's arm couldn't be in Valhalla for the same reason.
    Because it would be creepy as Hel?

9. - Top - End - #129

Planetar

Sigdi lived for fifty years without that arm, Tenrin died at the moment it was severed. Sigdi spent fifty years thinking of herself as the woman who's arm is still holding to Tenrin's corpse. Last Tenrin saw of Sigdi she had her arm. If anybody (like Durkon's grnadfather for example) told him that Sigdi refuses to Regenerate her arm out of some weird concept of loyaly to him, he'd probably react the same way Durkon just did.
    Wasn't this originally about how Sigdi's arm could still be linked to Tenrin in the afterlife and not if it actually is?

Anyway until the Giant show us, we don't really know, but it certainly is possible, and in my opinion also likely. Since my understanding of your latest post is more along the lines of why it would be unlikely for Tenrin to see himself still holding Sigdi's arm, then I'd like to point out that in my opinion how important something is, is not related to how much time we spend on it, but how much importance we put to it. Something that only lasts a short while, but is great or otherwise give rise to strong emotions can easily fill much more than something we do every day, but feels trivial.

Since Tenrin was conscious while Sigdi was still holding on to him, I believe he was fully aware of what happened, and since they were an item at that point in time and she even had a child with him, I think it is very possible Tenrin is still waiting for Sigdi. Add to that the importance of your last moment in Dwarven society, the impact could be all the more relevant. I don't know how important it is that Tenrin doesn't know about Durkon though.

Also it would in my opinion make for a better story than Sigdi always seeing herself as holding on to Tenrin only for him to have let her go...

10. - Top - End - #130

GreataxeFighterGirl

I LOVE Sigdi's expression at the end, and in general the both of them, and Minrah, and this webcomic. In that order, of course.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    The girl doesn't want a new arm. why does nobody seem to understand that?

poor Sigdi, nobody listens to her when she says No.
    Durkon didn't cast the spell on her without her consent, so I'm pretty sure he's listening to her.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

After seeing a lot of what a dysfunction paladin is in Miko, we saw the quintessence of good paladin in O-Chul.

After seeing a lot of dysfunctional parents, in several families, we now see the quintessence of a good parent in Sigdi.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Durkon didn't cast the spell on her without her consent, so I'm pretty sure he's listening to her.
    It allows a fortitude save, and she's a fighter, no? Fair chance that she could stop it regenerating and Durkon knows it.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    The girl doesn't want a new arm. why does nobody seem to understand that?

poor Sigdi, nobody listens to her when she says No.
    Because she doesn't says no, she says mebbe later.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It allows a fortitude save, and she's a fighter, no? Fair chance that she could stop it regenerating and Durkon knows it.
    I'm curious why you think Durkon would even consider that she'd resist, unless he was listening to her.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

It makes sense she would hesitate since it been so many years already. And getting a new arm wouldn't be the same as the one she lost. Plus it an Dwarven's way of thinking to never get the arm replace, even if it made possible for free of charge.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    I thought that was doilies?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Durkon should ask his Mom if she can comfortably hold and feed or play with Kudzu with just one arm. Granted, she’s had the disability a long time and is probably used to it, probably can, people with disabilities shock those without constantly with their adaptations. But it might help her see his point. Until this woman I have never seen a disabled person who’d rather have their issue than not (no offense meant of course).

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larre Gannd View Post
    I thought that was doilies?
    Doilies are the gateway, but you need the sandwich key to open the Gate gate.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungNight View Post
    Durkon should ask his Mom if she can comfortably hold and feed or play with Kudzu with just one arm.
    She managed to get through raising him all right, the second page of 1153 is sort of about that.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    The strip raised a question for me, however, not about the story, but about the game. When a chopped-of member is regenerated, wha happens to the part that was cut? Does it dissolves magically? Does it remains and decomposes the usual way? Is it possible for someone with Regenerate to leave a trail of hands or arms that all belong to the same person? What kind of silly and horrible trail would that be?
    Goblin Dan's Hydra BBQ works on just that principle ;)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Does Minrah's mom not want her to go to Valhalla?
    It's just a guess, but I'm betting Minrah's mom really wants her to hurry up and choose some kid-based options.
    There are often grandkid expectations and wants, whether or not those wants align with that of their immediate child.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    It's just a guess, but I'm betting Minrah's mom really wants her to hurry up and choose some kid-based options.
    There are often grandkid expectations and wants, whether or not those wants align with that of their immediate child.
    Dwarven life is almost always about the clan, and if the clan doesn't have youngin's to let it continue on...

At least she still made her some sandwiches.

24. - Top - End - #144

BlueWizardGirl

It’s kind of nice to see that Sigdi does have her own flaws and blind spots. It adds texture to her as a character.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    I know that agreeing again with you is not considered a good sign, here.
    Don't worry. A time will come when everyone will admit I was right. At least about some other stuff.

I'd not go so far as to call her attachment to the loss of the arm a mental illness, though, but I would much rather see Durkon getting this bit of closure. That said, the masochism-for-its-own-sake-as-a-value bit does seem to play a role.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

26. - Top - End - #146

Kind of like a Chekhov's arm or something. Except it's already gone off
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Sigdi is not disabled. At the worst she got a -2 Dex penalty, but she's probably overcome that by now.

28. - Top - End - #148

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Sigdi is not disabled. At the worst she got a -2 Dex penalty, but she's probably overcome that by now.
    I'd call only having one arm a disability, and running it down to a dex penalty sort of undermines the fact that you can't do things with two different arms at the same time, which just rules plenty of things out of being done like holding both a shield and sword in battle, and you can't make up for that the same way you learn how to balance a lot of bowls at one time or whatever.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KrankenWagon View Post
    Also, IIRC, she was impersonating a dwarf blacksmith, where the regular one appeared to be human. This is important as dwarves are better smiths than humans, so that was what convinced Roy that his sword was starmetal
    You're right the blacksmith is a dark-haired human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post
    He seems to be rather small compared to Miko though... I always thought he was a dwarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, the real blacksmith looks plenty dwarfy to me.

Roy says he's a dwarf.

And I'm sure the Azurite lady would disagree about dwarfs being better smiths.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

30. - Top - End - #150

Dammit, Durkon! Just hit her with the Regenerate! If she doesn't like having her arm back, she can just chop it off or pretend it's not there or something.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."