New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1184 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Roy says he's a dwarf.

And I'm sure the Azurite lady would disagree about dwarfs being better smiths.
    The dwarf Roy was referring to was Sabine in disguise. The real blacksmith may or may not be a dwarf, but that has no bearing on Roy's comment in the linked comic.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AchtungNight View Post
    Durkon should ask his Mom if she can comfortably hold and feed or play with Kudzu with just one arm. Granted, she’s had the disability a long time and is probably used to it, probably can, people with disabilities shock those without constantly with their adaptations. But it might help her see his point. Until this woman I have never seen a disabled person who’d rather have their issue than not (no offense meant of course).
    She lost her arm before Durkon was born, so I imagine she'd point out that she wouldn't have a problem handling Kudzu with one arm.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    She lost her arm before Durkon was born, so I imagine she'd point out that she wouldn't have a problem handling Kudzu with one arm.
    In fact she said this herself not too long ago.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Don't worry. A time will come when everyone will admit I was right. At least about some other stuff.
    Ha. That won't ever happen, you know.

I'd not go so far as to call her attachment to the loss of the arm a mental illness, though, but I would much rather see Durkon getting this bit of closure. That said, the masochism-for-its-own-sake-as-a-value bit does seem to play a role.

Well, to me she seems clearly being portrayed as affected by a survivor guilt disorder, giving rise to self harming behaviors.

Like: "He died, so I must suffer too, and if I don't regenerate that arm, I'll feel less guilty for the fact that I survived."

In other news, I find particularly interesting as Durkon is now the H of the situation. Just read Sigid telling to Durkon "Oh, poor boy, they really filled your head with silly human ideas" and compare it to Durkon saying to H: "Ugh, listen to you, you sound like one of those humans"

Durkon has grown a lot: he loves his mom, he knows she is a great woman (as shown during the vampire's destruction), but now he knows she is not always right, and that you must not be miserable, to be a worthy dwarf.

And, collaterally, the author has grown too: now he writes characters with more deep than "perfectly good mom" vs "inadequate -if not crazy evil- father".
    We have H who has a quite temper, who is not Good, who is generally selfish, but who is considered by Durkon (so, for extension, by the author) to be a good mom for Kudzu.
    And we have Sigdi who is clearly portrayed as a great mom, who nonetheless was wrong in one of the core teachings she gave to Durkon, and is wrong in insisting to be miserable rationalizing her self harming behavior behind the "this is the dwarf way, not like those silly humans".

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    That's pretty much what I'd expect from Sidgi.

The strip raised a question for me, however, not about the story, but about the game. When a chopped-of member is regenerated, wha happens to the part that was cut? Does it dissolves magically? Does it remains and decomposes the usual way? Is it possible for someone with Regenerate to leave a trail of hands or arms that all belong to the same person? What kind of silly and horrible trail would that be?
    I am pretty sure it's like the Hydra head. The chopped off limb doesn't dissipate. There's just a new limb to take its place.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    Ha. That won't ever happen, you know.
    I know you have more experience than me in this, given context, but let a man dream, dagnabbit!

Well, to me she seems clearly being portrayed as affected by a survivor guilt disorder, giving rise to self harming behaviors.

Like: "He died, so I must suffer too, and if I don't regenerate that arm, I'll feel less guilty for the fact that I survived."

In other news, I find particularly interesting as Durkon is now the H of the situation. Just read Sigid telling to Durkon "Oh, poor boy, they really filled your head with silly human ideas" and compare it to Durkon saying to H: "Ugh, listen to you, you sound like one of those humans"

Durkon has grown a lot: he loves his mom, he knows she is a great woman (as shown during the vampire's destruction), but now he knows she is not always right, and that you must not be miserable, to be a worthy dwarf.

And, collaterally, the author has grown too: now he writes characters with more deep than "perfectly good mom" vs "inadequate -if not crazy evil- father".
    We have H who has a quite temper, who is not Good, who is generally selfish, but who is considered by Durkon (so, for extension, by the author) to be a good mom for Kudzu.
    And we have Sigdi who is clearly portrayed as a great mom, who nonetheless was wrong in one of the core teachings she gave to Durkon, and is wrong in insisting to be miserable rationalizing her self harming behavior behind the "this is the dwarf way, not like those silly humans".
    Fair, I guess... I don't know if that crosses the boundary into an actual disorder, though - but, then, I'm not a shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight13 View Post
    Dammit, Durkon! Just hit her with the Regenerate! If she doesn't like having her arm back, she can just chop it off or pretend it's not there or something.
    Nope. Even though I find her decision to be severely lacking in common sense, her body, her rules.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-10-30 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Dammit, Durkon! Just hit her with the Regenerate! If she doesn't like having her arm back, she can just chop it off or pretend it's not there or something.
    YEAH! Violate her autonomy all over the place! If she doesn't like you forcing her into major life changing decisions against her will, just to fulfill YOUR asperations, she can just learn to love it or go into self mutilation. Totally Lawful Good behavior there.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

8. - Top - End - #158

If she really didn't want it, as a fighter, she'd probably make her fortitude save to stop it happening.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    YEAH! Violate her autonomy all over the place! If she doesn't like you forcing her into major life changing decisions against her will, just to fulfill YOUR asperations, she can just learn to love it or go into self mutilation. Totally Lawful Good behavior there.
    Don't look at me this time, I'm with you on this issue.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

10. - Top - End - #160

I think Durkon is striking a good middle ground between Hilgya's entirely selfish "me-first before all else" viewpoint and Sigdi's selfless "Do right by others, even if it causes you pain" viewpoint (as she clearly believes that keeping herself one-armed is "doing right" by Tenrin). I think Durkon is recognizing that a balance of the two can be achieved while still being a "good dwarf" (in the social context, not the alignment one).

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    I think Durkon is striking a good middle ground between Hilgya's entirely selfish "me-first before all else" viewpoint and Sigdi's selfless "Do right by others, even if it causes you pain" viewpoint (as she clearly believes that keeping herself one-armed is "doing right" by Tenrin). I think Durkon is recognizing that a balance of the two can be achieved while still being a "good dwarf" (in the social context, not the alignment one).
    Of course, he is not going to become Chaotic Neutral (or Evil, but Neutral for me), and you're correct about the middle ground, what I wanted to underline was the fact that the conversations between D vs H and S vs D are mirroring each other. If one compares the two strips, they have really a lot in common. That can't be simply by chance.

S is shown wrong now, as D was wrong back then in wanting to force H back to a life where she felt miserable.
    H was right back then about the right to pursue happiness (according to the sarcasm used by D, at the time), as D is shown to be the rational one now.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Arkain View Post
    Yep. The dwarven council members didn't use any non-standard variation either iirc, so maybe it's a (social) class marker or something else entirely. It's just that for some dwarves eye dialect has been used to draw some attention to it.
    Perhaps it's a side effect of too-frequent use of Sending.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    You are forbidden from coming up with theories. You know what you did to that poor redheaded fellow! He can't even speak right anymore!

14. - Top - End - #164

Don't worry. A time will come when everyone will admit I was right. At least about some other stuff.
    The_Weirdo will show them!!!!! He'll Show them ALL!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: In all seriousness though, while I generally disagree with you, I mean no offense.
    Last edited by Personification; 2019-10-30 at 07:51 PM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

15. - Top - End - #165

It's not even a question of doing it against her will, since she hasn't actually said she doesn't want it. All she's done is offer a series of increasingly weak reasons why it might be a bad idea, all of which Durkon refuted. I think she's either, as Durkon said, taken the dwarven credo of denying yourself for the benefit of others to the self-destructive extreme of denying herself pointlessly, to the benefit of no one, or she's just afraid of any major changes, even unambiguously positive ones.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    The_Weirdo will show them!!!!! He'll Show them ALL!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: In all seriousness though, while I generally disagree with you, I mean no offense.
    None taken. I'm very self-aware on that topic and, indeed, know that I do, indeed, have that kind of approach to some stuff. If you know Genius: the Transgression, my catalyst in the game would be neid.

It's not even a question of doing it against her will, since she hasn't actually said she doesn't want it. All she's done is offer a series of increasingly weak reasons why it might be a bad idea, all of which Durkon refuted. I think she's either, as Durkon said, taken the dwarven credo of denying yourself for the benefit of others to the self-destructive extreme of denying herself pointlessly, to the benefit of no one, or she's just afraid of any major changes, even unambiguously positive ones.
    Dude, you do, of course, realize that not all refusals have to have the word "no" in them, right?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-10-30 at 08:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Question for the author: how badly were you tempted to title this one "Talkin' 'Bout Regeneration" instead?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I sort of see the not getting the arm regenerated as some Sigdi equivalent of an unmarried person choosing to remain a virgin until marriage. It is a denial of one’s own pleasure but it is not incoherent. For all we know maybe her husband will appreciate the gesture Sigdi is making.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post

That font and color makes me worry a little in that prediction becoming true eventually.
    Last edited by Emperor Time; 2019-10-30 at 10:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    That font and color makes me worry a little in that prediction becoming true eventually.
    They called me mad.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Kind of like a Chekhov's arm or something. Except it's already gone off
    hooooo boy

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

They called me mad.
    And boy! Were they right.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Maybe, but "mad" and "wrong" are two different things, you know.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Hi, i'm pretty sure that's considered assault on some level? Like picking up a kid in a wheelchair and holding them up to make them "walk" without them asking for it. That's not okay man.

It's not even a question of doing it against her will, since she hasn't actually said she doesn't want it. All she's done is offer a series of increasingly weak reasons why it might be a bad idea, all of which Durkon refuted.
    learn from real life. If it is not a "Yes", then assume it is a "No." Even if she says "i don't know", "Maybe", "Not right now" or "Perhaps later" then that Still counts as a "No" until she says "Yes"!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-10-30 at 11:06 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Hi, i'm pretty sure that's considered assault on some level? Like picking up a kid in a wheelchair and holding them up to make them "walk" without them asking for it. That's not okay man.
    Well, not quite, unless they end up able to walk right after you do it. But it very much is a form of assault, at the very least, as it removes from the individual autonomy over their own body. If I recall correctly, treating someone that doesn't want to be treated is presented as assault in some medical shows.

26. - Top - End - #176

DwarfBarbarianGuy

There's more about that arm than what we've been told.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Nope, since he was talking like that long before he got access to that spell. Durkon's all but unintelligible accent is one of the stereotype bits from the early strips that I really wish had faded away in the interim, or at least watered down to the point I don't have to reread to make sure I understand him.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

It absolutely is a question of doing it against her will, since she hasn't actually said she does want it. All she's done is offer a series of increasingly weak reaons why it might be a bad idea, indicating that on some level she doesn't want it. It's an emotional issue. Emotions don't have to make sense.
    Wether or not it's self-destructive is irrelevant. Her body, her choice.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

29. - Top - End - #179

SolithKnightGuy

So Durkon will have an unused prepped regen spell in his slots
    Could this become important later?
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    So Durkon will have an unused prepped regen spell in his slots
    Could this become important later?
    Only if'n they get a random encount'r in tha sky. An' he runs outta all 'is other spells b'fore mornin'.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.