New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default So, about the Sphinx Pox

How long has it been since the desert? It’s been mentioned once but never again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: So, about the Sphinx Pox

And it will never be mentioned again.

It was an one-time joke. It belongs to the past now, together with Fyrion's son and Redcloak's niece.

It's gone.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-10-30 at 09:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It's irrelevant. They have a cleric. A cleric who *knows about it* given he was in the head of Hel's High Priest at the time.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post

It was an one-time joke. It belongs to the past now, together with Fyrion's son and Redcloak's niece.

It's gone.
    Are you saying that Fryon's son and Redclock's niece have the Sphinx pox?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Are you saying that Fryon's son and Redclock's niece have the Sphinx pox?
    Of course not.

We're saying they are the Sphinx Pox!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblaster3147 View Post
    How long has it been since the desert?
    I think it were only aboot a week. Anyway, like other have said. Deadly? Sure. Incurable? No. I doubt it'll come up again.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

How long has it been since the desert? It’s been mentioned once but never again.
    It's only been a week a most. The way the timeline works out I'm pretty sure Belkar is supposed to die before they become symptomatic. Additionally, they are now travelling with two clerics, both of whom are either uninfected or infected days after everyone else, so curing it should be easy. It seems like the only way it would become a problem is if they split off from the airship before they do anything about the disease, but it's hard to see how that would fit into the story.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    It's irrelevant. They have a cleric. A cleric who *knows about it* given he was in the head of Hel's High Priest at the time.
    When were we shown that Hel's High Priest knew about the Sphinx Pox? As far as I recall, its only mention was Hel talking to Thrym about it, and there's certainly no rule that a god has to tell their High Priest *all* their secrets.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also anyone that gets hit with a heal spell will have it removed. That's heal the 6th level spell not any old plain healing.
    Last edited by urbanwolf; 2019-10-31 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I do think there'll probably be a line at least dealing with the Sphinx Pox, although possibly only in a bonus strip. It's a throwaway joke, but I'm pretty sure the Giant is aware of what kind of readers he has.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Scruffy will sneeze on the Snarl, who's much more vulnerable to mortal diseases than divine ones (which is the true reason he always dismantles reality, really), and dies. The good guys win, piece of cake. Cake for everyone. Then Belkar chokes on a piece of cake. He should have savored it more, I guess.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I calculate from one two four weeks, if Mr. Scruffy caught the disease early or late in their time in the Western Continent. Leaving 1-4 weeks left in the 5 week incubation period. Belkar has less than three weeks left to live, so it is possible the Sphynx Pox timeline lines up with the Belkar Prophesy timeline. Does it make narrative sense to have him die that way? Perhaps not, but the timelines do work.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Mr. Scruffy will sneeze on the Snarl, who's much more vulnerable to mortal diseases than divine ones (which is the true reason he always dismantles reality, really), and dies. The good guys win, piece of cake. Cake for everyone. Then Belkar chokes on a piece of cake. He should have savored it more, I guess.
    So how does Redcloak’s niece factor into this?
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's gone.
    That strikes me as very, very unlikely. That’s a Book 1-style stunt, not a Book 6-7 one. Specifying that everyone on the Mechane has a potentially deadly, infectious plague and then never mentioning it again would be both not a very good joke and, much more importantly, awful writing.

I have much more faith in Rich than to assume he is such a dreadful writer.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    She made the cake, obviously.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

My DM senses are tingling - I imagine it will be a great comic relief for everyone on board the Mechane to be spouting riddles at each other for them to figure out what's going on. A good last laugh from Hel while they solve more pressing issues.

Miscommunication is a core element of sitcom humor, and this disease was A) Made for the comic, B) given explicit details in how it operates, C) was given a timeline and D) is contagious.

Plus it pays off the whole "Thor can't make storms that Hel can't stop, Hel can't make Plagues that Thor can't cure" thing with the Domains early in the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    English: so broken, you technically cannot use it wrong.
    Grey Wolf

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

She factors as much as Miko's true redemption and a full set of polearms in Jiminy's shop.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    She factors as much as Miko's true redemption and a full set of polearms in Jiminy's shop.
    That theory is postively absurd. Anyone with a lick of sense is aware that Jimmy will never, ever have polearms in his shop.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    That strikes me as very, very unlikely. That’s a Book 1-style stunt, not a Book 6-7 one. Specifying that everyone on the Mechane has a potentially deadly, infectious plague and then never mentioning it again would be both not a very good joke and, much more importantly, awful writing.

I have much more faith in Rich than to assume he is such a dreadful writer.
    Do you want to bet about it?

The Sphynx Pox will play no role in the story, ever, and will never be mentioned again except as a passing commentary, and probably not even that.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-10-31 at 06:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

The Sphynx Pox will play no role in the story, ever, and will never be mentioned again except as a passing commentary, and probably not even that.
    Here's a thought: what if the Sphinx Pox is used as justification for the crew of the Mechane not to participate in the final battle? That way it still has a purpose, but isn't a major plot point.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Here's a thought: what if the Sphinx Pox is used as justification for the crew of the Mechane not to participate in the final battle? That way it still has a purpose, but isn't a major plot point.
    The crew of the Mechane has already demonstrated in-comic that they are professionally trained to avoid participating in such a battle. They do not need further de-motivations.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2019-10-31 at 06:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

The crew of the Mechane has already demonstrated in-comic that they are professionally trained to avoid participating in such a battle, without need of further reasons.
    Eh, fair enough. I do think the Sphinx Pox will be referenced again at some point. If nothing else, I expect a sort of brick joke in the epilogue, where just after their victory, the Order of the Stick and the crew of the Mechane come down with a hilariously anticlimactic case of Sphinx Pox, only to be immediately healed. Cue cutaway panel of Hel looking disappointed while Thrym comforts her. The End.

Or maybe not, it could go either way. I'm not terribly invested in the idea.

23. - Top - End - #23

Lizardfolk

Death Giant: *psst* Do you think we should mention Sphinx Pox has a DC12 Fort or Will save?
    Other Death Giant: Maybe leave it and see how the vampires get on.

24. - Top - End - #24

I personally think it'll come up in a bonus strip when Utterly Dwarfed is released. I don't know why, but it just feels like prime bonus strip material.
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2019-10-31 at 07:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    The same cleric(s) who can't magically repair a broken wooden table.

Nor scry/divine for a big tree to make a new table.

Also the cleric who needs a unique divine artifact from their god for the epic task of breaking a wooden table.

All of cleric magic in the world couldn't either break, repair or make a simple wooden table. What makes you think they can cure diseases exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    The same cleric(s) who can't magically repair a broken wooden table.

Nor scry/divine for a big tree to make a new table.

Also the cleric who needs a unique divine artifact from their god for the epic task of breaking a wooden table.

All of cleric magic in the world couldn't either break, repair or make a simple wooden table. What makes you think they can cure diseases exactly?
    I can't tell if you're serious or not. I'm leaning towards...not?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    I can't tell if you're serious or not. I'm leaning towards...not?
    He is, he always is, he's even said this stuff before.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

No, he is not.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    He is, he always is, he's even said this stuff before.
    Ah, gotcha.

Well, just in case it needed to be spelled out anyway:

1) It is in the best interest of the world for the Dwarves to NOT repair the table in a timely fashion...and even if it gets repaired within a few days, Squeaky says the Council can delay the vote. Source:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1179.html

2) Clerical magic is capable of curing diseases. Heck, there's literally a spell called "Remove Disease" which Durkon--as a high level Cleric--certainly can cast. Source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeDisease.htm

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    What makes you think they can cure diseases exactly?
    The Remove Disease spell.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2