New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1186 - The Discussion Thread

A train also appears here.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jannoire View Post

Eyebrows shaped like an elf wizard? I got to see that!
    V has eyebrows in the appropriate shape, in the very first panel of OOTS:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Actually, I think I remember something about magnetic compasses going completely haywire in the vicinity of the poles, but I'm sure Plot will happen along the way long before that becomes a problem, Bandana.

Or I guess I should say "Captain Neckerchief" now. *snicker*
    "I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand, I shall reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the flames of destruction.My name is Hakumen. Your time has come!"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also, you can't have a railroad plot without railroads.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Elan, we're going to Magnetic Santa, not True Santa.
    You can't not sit in magnetic Santa's lap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Chlorine gas is in many respects one of the most evil forms of gas warfare, not because it's more effective, but because it's even less effective than the others.
    Florine gas is significantly more stupid evil than chlorine. It was never really used as a weapon because while it's good at killing people, it not good at being sent to the enemy first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Actually, I think I remember something about magnetic compasses going completely haywire in the vicinity of the poles, but I'm sure Plot will happen along the way long before that becomes a problem, Bandana.
    As you come closer to the pole, the compass tries to point downwards in the north and upwards in the south. The dominant factor becomes the pitch the compass is held at. If you try to force the compass to be level you'll eliminate the big obvious things, but not the random little stupid things like turbulence or the positions of people on the bridge.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

All this talk about compass and poles, but it sure is more efficient to use a sextant there.

Though, you may have difficulty to find a sextant on the poles.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    I love that Belkar knows what a train sounds like, despite there being no evidence of trains in this world ;)
    To be fair, the word "train" was being used to describe a line of vehicles back in our 15th century (per Wiktionary, and I remember having read similar info elsewhere). Train whistles, though, would be anachronistic so far as we know. Though Belkar's familiarity with "The Trolley Song" clearly shows that some information is creeping back across the 4th wall.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Mm, I suppose. It depends somewhat on how busy the boss is, and how obvious it should be to me that I ought to be asking some other specific person. If I could reasonably be expected not to know who to ask (and to not have the info myself), the boss shouldn't react in that kind of way.
    In this particular case, especially with the "thinking" hand-on-chin gesture, I think the crewman was like "are we going on as if nothing happened?" with respect to Andi's attempted mutiny and Bandana was like "Yes you are going to go on as if nothing happened."
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

To be fair, the word "train" was being used to describe a line of vehicles back in our 15th century (per Wiktionary, and I remember having read similar info elsewhere). Train whistles, though, would be anachronistic so far as we know. Though Belkar's familiarity with "The Trolley Song" clearly shows that some information is creeping back across the 4th wall.
    Arguing whether trains are anachronistic as their airship prepares to depart strikes me as somehow off....

Just what is the assumed year for transportation tech where the powered airship isn't a bigger anachronism than a steam train?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Arguing whether trains are anachronistic as their airship prepares to depart strikes me as somehow off....

Just what is the assumed year for transportation tech where the powered airship isn't a bigger anachronism than a steam train?
    10 years after the espresso machine, but five years before heavier-than-air flying craft. Obviously.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

10 years after the espresso machine, but five years before heavier-than-air flying craft. Obviously.
    Well of course it's after espresso, we have in comic evidence that that exists.

Edited to add: In our world the espresso machine was patented in 1884, while the first heavier than air flying craft was 1903. Assumed year is thus 1894 if based on espresso or 1898 if based on heavier than air flight. The first zeppelin flight was in 1900 and was not carrying commercial passengers for a number of years after that, while commercial steam trains date to 1812 or so.

Thus in the available range of dates based on Fyraltari's claim, the airship is anachronistic, but the train reference is not. [End edits]
    Last edited by Doug Lampert; 2019-11-14 at 04:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

MindFlayer

Well of course it's after espresso, we have in comic evidence that that exists.
    That link is better evidence that V had heard of the concept of espresso than that espresso machines were actually available. Just like I can imagine a more contemporaneous character agreeing to worship a fictional deity only if it could provide practical cold fusion.

13. - Top - End - #163

WolfInSheepsClothing

Providing cold fusion would greatly increase my chance of joining a religion.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Providing cold fusion would greatly increase my chance of joining a religion.
    Even if it's a doomsday cult? (Somewhere in GiTP/OoTS I have a vague memory of "the end is near" kind of side character but a quick check of where I think it is leaves me empty. Hmm)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-11-14 at 09:35 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #165

Might be one of the Dragon strips.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Even if it's a doomsday cult?
    Sounds like The Church of Atom.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    HEATHEN !
    The great Atom provides fission ! In great quantities ! Fission for everyone !
    You get radioactive, and you get radioactive, and you get radioactive !
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    We don't even know that "True North" even exists in this world. Perhaps the world is stationary and the sun revolves around it. Then True North, defined by spin, wouldn't even exist (although it could be defined by the rotation of the fixed stars around the earth -- if the stars are fixed in position relative to each other).

[And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Julio had a special compass made that always pointed to the next destination.]
    There was a shot of the solar system at the end of How the Paladin Got his Scar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootbeer Guy View Post
    We're at 1186.
    I bazinga'd as well.
    Hey, it’s strip 1186, and isn’t it also year 1186 in universe?

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    One pound of uranium isn't going to do much, no, but the thing about radioactive materials is that they possess a quality called "critical mass"- the smallest amount of material required to sustain a nuclear chain reaction.

Of course, once I started looking up some numbers, I learned that Uranium 238, the most common isotope at 99% of all naturally-occurring uranium, does not have a critical mass, and has a half life of nearly five billion years, or "roughly the age of the Earth."

Plutonium 239, however, which can be relatively easily made from Uranium 238, has a critical mass of 10 kilograms, which is a sphere almost ten centimeters in diameter. A Plutonium elemental, once killed, would almost immediately turn into a nuclear fireball that turns everything in a hundred mile radius into glass and ashes.
    I think a plutonium elemental would probably irradiate that whole area, but the actual explosion would be much smaller because it was just a pile of plutonium rather than a nuclear bomb. I’m pretty sure it’s called a “fizzle”
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    HEATHEN !
    The great Atom provides fission ! In great quantities ! Fission for everyone !
    You get radioactive, and you get radioactive, and you get radioactive !
    This sound a bit like the cult of Aton.
    Their symbol is a giant nuclear reactor, after all.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2019-11-15 at 10:17 AM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

20. - Top - End - #170

NecromancerGuy

While the first primitive steam locomotives were in use by 1820, it wasn't until the Bessemer process came along in the 1850s that sufficient quantities of quality steel for large rail networks could be mass produced. Bessemer patented his process if 1856, and the first great rail networks went up over the next decade.

Henri Giffard flew the first powered airship in 1852. So... sometime between 1852 and 1856, if you want to be technical. (Practically speaking, there wouldn't be useful airships until the early 1900s, but I was curious if there was anyway to come up with an even remotely arguable answer in the affirmative.)

21. - Top - End - #171

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    Hey, it’s strip 1186, and isn’t it also year 1186 in universe
    ohh... good catch! I bet it’s the end of the book, too!

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Sniccups View Post
    I think a plutonium elemental would probably irradiate that whole area, but the actual explosion would be much smaller because it was just a pile of plutonium rather than a nuclear bomb. I’m pretty sure it’s called a “fizzle”
    The tricky thing about building an atomic bomb, apart from getting the materials, is designing it so that the subcritical masses are brought together quickly enough. If so, you get a fully critical mass, rather than multiple masses getting close together that are just on the edge of criticality and melt / boil / splatter and make a big mess as well as giving off quite a bit of radiation. As I understand it.

A plutonium elemental would appear to have many critical masses of plutonium, already all together, but (by your assumption) somehow prevented from exploding by virtue of being "alive". Whether you'd get a nuclear fireball or a messy dangerous toxic fizzle would depend on whether or not that explosion prevention disappeared instantaneously.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The tricky thing about building an atomic bomb, apart from getting the materials, is designing it so that the subcritical masses are brought together quickly enough. If so, you get a fully critical mass, rather than multiple masses getting close together that are just on the edge of criticality and melt / boil / splatter and make a big mess as well as giving off quite a bit of radiation. As I understand it.

A plutonium elemental would appear to have many critical masses of plutonium, already all together, but (by your assumption) somehow prevented from exploding by virtue of being "alive". Whether you'd get a nuclear fireball or a messy dangerous toxic fizzle would depend on whether or not that explosion prevention disappeared instantaneously.
    As a side note, the best way to disarm a nuclear device if it can't be disarmed safely is to shoot it and destroy it so that it doesn't reach critical mass. Sure, it'll disperse radioactive material, but at least it won't detonate.

24. - Top - End - #174

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Even if it's a doomsday cult? (Somewhere in GiTP/OoTS I have a vague memory of "the end is near" kind of side character but a quick check of where I think it is leaves me empty. Hmm)
    Sure, plus I figure cold fusion is probably helpful in averting certain Doomsday scenarios anyways.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

I imagine that casting Implosion on a Plutonium elemental would create a massive nuclear explosion easily enough.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheHead View Post
    I imagine that casting Implosion on a Plutonium elemental would create a massive nuclear explosion easily enough.
    It would depend on the purity of the plutonium, same as plutonium warheads which are also detonated by implosion.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It would depend on the purity of the plutonium, same as plutonium warheads which are also detonated by implosion.
    Now I’m imagining Redcloak setting off a nuclear missile with the implosion spell.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    Now I’m imagining Redcloak setting off a nuclear missile with the implosion spell.
    How does the range of Implosion compares with the blast radius of that bomb?
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

How does the range of Implosion compares with the blast radius of that bomb?
    The real question is, what kind of damage does a nuclear explosion deal? I feel like it would deal a large amount of radiant damage on detonation, and everyone in the blast radius would have to save vs. blindness. Then probably fire damage post-explosion, and then...I don’t know...maybe poison damage, to represent the falllout? Or some kind of disease? I know very little about 3.5 edition.
    Like Star Wars, ponies, and/or unabashed silliness? Check out my YouTube channel, Nothing In Particular, for a healthy dose of absurdity. It's just what the doctor ordered!*

* Surgeon General's Warning: May cause chronic hideous laughter, eye rolling, or beleaguered sighs. Not intended to prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MossyMeow View Post
    The real question is, what kind of damage does a nuclear explosion deal? I feel like it would deal a large amount of radiant damage on detonation, and everyone in the blast radius would have to save vs. blindness. Then probably fire damage post-explosion, and then...I don’t know...maybe poison damage, to represent the falllout? Or some kind of disease? I know very little about 3.5 edition.
    Nukes deal **** You damage, **** Everybody You Ever Loved Damage and **** Everything You Ever Cared About damage.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-11-15 at 04:59 PM.
    Forum Wisdom