New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Seeing a wall of force

If someone has see invisibility up can they see a wall of force? See invisibility lets you see invisible objects as if they were visible, but there's no real description of what a wall of force would look like if it's visible. It seems like there are three options:

1. You still can't see the wall because it isn't a visible thing made invisible — it's always invisible.
    2. The wall is 1/4" thick, so you can see it — but it's a wall, so now you can't actually see through it.
    3. The wall is translucent and you know it's there, but can see through. This is based on this line of see invisibility: "Ethereal creatures and objects appear ghostly and translucent" — but the wall is not itself ethereal, it extends there from the material plane.

How would you interpret it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Seeing a wall of force

I'm lazy so I'd go with the 3.5 edition interpretation - option 3.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Option 1; it doesn't say it blocks line of sight, so not option 2. It does say the wall is invisible, so option 1 is supported by RAW. Option 3 is what i imagined myself, and what i would think is the most fun, since invisible walls can get frustrating really fast.

Edit, reread the spell and had to change my answer
    Last edited by Dungeon-noob; 2019-11-14 at 08:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

You'll not "see" it with your vision, but maybe a successful arcana check will reveal the binding rigidity of the weave? You perceive a surface - like a pane of plexiglass comprised of tightly knit fibers - faintly rippling with magical energy that prohibits anything to cross it.

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

The wall is explicitly described as invisible. See Invisibility lets you see invisible things. Ergo, you can see the wall.
    What does it look like? I dunno, whatever the DM decides it looks like. Maybe it's 'crackling energy' like an Eldritch blast.
    I would say either option 2 or 3, depending on how opaque the DM decides the energy is.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It's visible but remains transparent. Like a big sheet of glass.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

In context I read "invisible" to mean "because you can't see force, duh" rather than "this isn't just force, it's INVISIBLE force! extra rare!" However, it seems supremely reasonable to have it show up as a translucent 8-bit wireframe to people who can see invisibility, if that seems helpful.
    Ur-member and coffee caterer of the fan club.

I wish people would stop using phrases such as "in my humble opinion", "just my two cents", and "we're out of coffee".

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are out drinking coffee and, like, whatever.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

And if you're asking "what does it look like?", remember that the only creatures who can see it have senses unlike yours or mine. Maybe, under a See Invisibility spell, the color of a wall of force is blarg. What does the color blarg look like? Well, it's blargish. It's the color that a Wall of Force looks. How do you describe a color you can't see?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics