New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Labyrinths of Deceit (Group 1)

Fillia

Fillia turned to the man who had spoken. She paused a moment, taking in his posture and demeanor. "Quite possibly" she replied. She was momentarily distracted as she noticed a familiar face. It had been some time, but she recognized the mans crimson hair and remembered him from their fight against that necromance. She met his eyes momentarily and nodded slightly in acknowledgment before she went on.

"This family lives about a day and a half from here. Well, for me that is. She has four sisters who are apparently missing after their village was destroyed. If they were out of the village when the attack came, they could still be in the forest. If you'll excuse me a moment," she added and slipped back for her things before moving to the bar. Over Lilly and her family, Fillia caught Serk's gaze. She looked at the family, then at the hooded elf at the bar, barely perceptively nodding.

She found a place next to the hooded figure at the bar and climbed up on the stool. "I believe my friends over there have you to thank for stopping the attack on their villiage," she said in a quiet voice.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

The elf turns her head and looks down at the halfling, a hint of violet colored eyes shining from the depths of her hood.
    "Your welcome." She sweeps a wisp of white hair back into the depths of her hood, and takes another gulp from her mug.

3. - Top - End - #33

Fillia

She nods. "One wonders if you were simply in the right place at the right time or if you engage in tracking and stopping whoever it is that's preying on the innocent." She pauses for a moment to get the attention of the bartender and ask for more tea. She continues quietly, and it's rather ambiguous if she is speaking to herself or the other woman. "The church was right in thinking that this is an unusually dangerous area."

-Walt Disney

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Toranus

Seeing the wisp of white hair, Toranus tries to penetrate the shadows of the hood with his gaze to try to identify the type of elf the lady is...

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if there's a roll involved but feel free to roll it for me

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

The elfs hood and angle to Toranus makes it difficult to tell, though the bit of a glimpse he does get allows him to make out the outline of pointy ears.

"I'd say a little bit of both. The demons and their shadows are things that can not be allowed to walk this earth, you should atleast knwo that by now."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Serk
    Serk squats down and looks into the little girl's eyes. You need not be afraid; we will find your siblings and teach those responsible not to use children as pawns and hostages. I swear this, they will pay." He lifts her chin some gently. "So you be strong while we are away and we will reunite you soon. Can you do that for me?" He smiles at her kindly, then turns to hear more of the story.

When the whisp of white hair catches his eyes, his reactions are twofold. The first is to watch this woman cautiously; it may be she is using the child and her sisters as bait of some sort. His second reaction is such that he realizes what lengths this elf must have gone to ensuring the safety of the family.

Serk leans down and whispers in Fillia's ear. "If you say we go, then we go. Events have been set into motion that are beyond mortal ken. We must do what we can to protect those too weak to defend themselves against the darkness. I would fight by your side no matter where it takes us."
    Last edited by Raven T.; 2007-10-22 at 08:02 PM.
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda.
    S-o-d-a, Soda

7. - Top - End - #37

Fillia

It wasn't a skill that had come easy to her, but Fillia had eventually learned how not to show the emotions she was feeling - at least for a short time. She employed this now.

Mentally rolling her eyes she nodded addressed the elf beside her. "Indeed it is. Good day." She laid a coin on the bar for the undrunk tea and the bread roll she took from the basket and pushed away from the bar.

She nodded her acknowledgement of Serk's words, not wanting to speak much more in front of this white-haired elf. She turned to the family, kissing Lilly's forehead and smiling warmly at the terrified mother and her newborn. "If at all possible," she said to the mother in a quiet voice. She gathered her things, preparing to leave the crowded bar. The father stood to clasp hands with her and she pressed a coin into his palm, turning away so as not to give him time to react.

She took one last look at the immediate area, noting that there were several other people taking interest in the exchange, in addition to the man who spoke earlier. She turned her head in Serk's direction. "It seems there may be others who feel the same way."

-Walt Disney

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Serk
    "Indeed, but let me ask you this: do you intend to leave tonight? If so, let me return to my room briefly and retrieve my weapon and pack." Serk scanned the room some more. "See who else will move with us while I grab my things. I will also talk to a man I met earlier, Toranus. He seems to be interested in this task."
    There are those in this world who cannot abide women and detest their company; I do not number among them. Women are the charming sex, wonderfully unreasonable and meant to be adored.

S-o-d-a, Soda

9. - Top - End - #39

Fillia

"Considering the circumstances it may be rather rash to leave tonight. I don't think we want to necessarily broadcast our plans with certain... individuals in here. I'm sure safe accommodation can be found for the night in a town this size. Go ahead up however, I'm interested to see who will take notice."

-Walt Disney

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Toranus

Toranus tears his attention away from the seated white haired elf and steps forward to Serk and the halfling upon hearing his name spoken.

"I am Toranus and I am indeed interested. I have too few opportunities to be of real help to people. I would set out sooner than later though, every hour matters when you have 4 little girls alone in the wild. I am sure there are others here who would be willing to come, either to help the family or to investigate the attack."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garmund

Garmund returns to the main hall a different man. He has bathed, groomed, and changed his clothing. Now is the real time to get to business. He walks in to see and hear the ending exchange between the woman and the elf. Coin might not be good, but the work is. Build up a solid rep, and cash in. With that in mind, he walks up to the gathering party, and introduces himself.

I am Garmund, son of regimental captain Heahbryht. Normally, I demand coin for my services, but for this, there is no need. If you need a sword arm, I can offer mine to you.
    Last edited by Alebeard_Thunderax; 2007-10-23 at 04:49 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

The elf finishes off her drink and stands up. She drops a few more coins on the bar. She then moves to the door and steps outside into the streets.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raven T. View Post
    "See who else will move with us while I grab my things..."
    Legnassirc

Though the alcohol slows his thought process just a bit, Legnassirc begins to understand the situation. People gathering around those people who seem to be comforting that family... And they're near the people who seemed unhappy when I mentioned being a wizard...Something evil and magic must have happened to that family!... Note to self: food before ale next time. With that he finishes the mug in his hand, leaves it on the table and walks over, edging his way around the fighter who had just arrived to address the halfling woman. Forgive me for interrupting, but if I correctly interpret this to be a quest intended to right the wrongs committed by a magic user of some sort, I humbly offer my services. For my own safety, I should make it clear that I am not the said magic user, but a reasonably powerful wizard in my own right and would be happy to assist you. My name is Legnassirc and I suppose I should ask first if I've correctly assessed the situation and second if you think you have a use for me. While waiting for a response, Legnassirc contemplates that third he should eat something so that he will be less likely to babble; complete unbecoming behavior, but hopefully not so much that they dismiss him. Nice as this tavern is, nothing beats a good adventure and a quick look around shows this forming up to be quite a potent group.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2007-10-23 at 10:26 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Serk

Serk turns to the wiry mage. "Then welcome you shall be. When Fillia here gives the word, we move." He gives Legnassirc a couple firm pats on the shoulder, quite possibly unbalancing him in his inebriated state.

S-o-d-a, Soda

15. - Top - End - #45

Fillia

Fillia looked at the men who had gathered around them, showing concern in the circumstances. Smiling lightly at some private joke, she nodded eagerly. "Indeed, I believe we can all offer something in this endeavor. I don't think we can be over prepared in this case."

"As Serk has said, my name is Fillia and I made the acquaintance of this family apparently immediately prior to this attack." She made eye contact with each of those around her. "With our numbers so great," she said to Toranus, "I agree that there is no need to wait until the morn," even though her own spell selection for traveling was quite different than one she might ask for in more aggressive circumstances.

"Both you and your sword would indeed be welcome, good Garumd." For some reason he brought a rather stoic image into her mind.

"And as for you, sir wizard," she said with her eyes light. "I think that we here can all make the distinction between someone who uses their talent for personal gain and chaos, and one who works toward more benevolent aims. You too, may be able to give us insight into the wizard who has caused this destruction." She gave the man a wink and passed him the bread roll she'd picked up at the bar.

She looked back to Serk. "On your word then, we will make our way."

-Walt Disney

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Toranus

Toranus nods to Garmund and Legnassirc in turn as they volunteer to assist and looks around to see if any others are stepping forward.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Lucien

Lucien rises from his seat, and approaches the gathering of adventurers. "I will assist you in this most noble endeavor. My name is Lucien. May justice be brought to those who would prey upon the weak and my skills be a boon to those who would bring it about.
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-10-24 at 01:50 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Serk

"Then let us move with all haste. Gather your things; we leave within the hour." Serk turns toward the family. "Is there any information you can provide about the surrounding area? I am sure Fillia can lead us back there, but I would like to go in prepared for anything."

S-o-d-a, Soda

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Just waiting for everyone to say they got all the stuff they need.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Toranus

"Does anyone require a mount? I may not be able to purchase one for you but I can tell you which ones are good and which ones you may wish to steer clear of. Other than that, I am ready to go."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Serk

"Depends on if we really need them. A horse is all well and good, but a liability if we get involved in combat."

S-o-d-a, Soda

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Toranus

"You make a good point. I suppose it depends on when we wish to arrive. A day and a half as the halfling goes may be a couple hours on horseback? We may arrive at the location by midnight if we are willing to continue even while it is dark. We could instead stop for the night on the way there."

Toranus looks to the family.

"If these were elves I would have a better idea but I am not familiar with human children. Do you think your daughters can survive a single night by themselves?"
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-10-24 at 11:17 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Serk

"The problem is that they may NOT be by themselves. If there's one deadly wizard blowing the town to Baator and back, there might be more lurking around.

"Maybe you're right; maybe we should mount up and ride with all haste. I may not be able to see well at night, but we should get moving."
    Serk dashes upstairs and grabs his sack and sword, ready to roll as soon as everyone else is.
    Last edited by Raven T.; 2007-10-24 at 11:29 AM.

S-o-d-a, Soda

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Legnassirc

Legnassirc gratefully accepts Fillia's bread after stumbling slightly from Serk's pat on the shoulders and begins eating it in large bites while the others strategize. Swallowing the last piece and feeling much more steady, he rejoins the conversation. Thank for both the welcome and the bread. I am ready to depart whenever the rest of you are, though my vision at night is similarly reduced. As far as mounts are concerned, I can provide my own and I assure you he will not get it the way. With nothing else to say, Legnassirc begins considering the various spells and powers he has prepared for the day, determining that, while they are not ideal, he should be able to support this effort while protecting himself somewhat. Strategy's too hard to figure out at this point, since we don't know each other or what we're up against, but we at least seem to have a good mix of people. We've got a shot if we run into trouble, but so far I'm not sure we'll be able to spot the children we seem to be looking for. Deciding it's better to ask now than have problems later, he turns to Serk and Fillia who seem to be leading the outing and asks Would it be a good idea to grab a few torches for those of us who can't see at night or do we have enough people with that skill that tourches'd just needlessly betray our position?
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2007-10-24 at 12:33 PM.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Serk

"I have an Everburning Torch in my pack here. If you wish to hold onto it, you are welcome to borrow it. I cannot carry it; my blade requires both my hands free. As for the others, I am not sure what they have or can do."

S-o-d-a, Soda

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garmund

"I will go and retrieve my gear, and return in a moment. I can ride, and I too have an everburning torch."

He goes back into his room, and after some minutes have passed, he returns fully loaded. The glint of mithral and silver can be seen all about him, whereas before the dust of the trail had dulled it. He wears a breastplate beneath his cloak, a bastard sword swings from his hip, and on his back are strapped a halberd and shortbow. All are made of fine mithral, except for the silver halberd.

His pack, while very full, does not seem to burden him much. Even if it did, there seems to be some kind of mechanism on the chest straps. A closer inspection would reveal that pulling the pin would release the pack from his back.

"I am ready to depart whenever you are"
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

27. - Top - End - #57

Fillia

"I wonder if a pony or riding dog could be found this late in the day. My own pony came down lame three days ago and I was forced to leave her in a farming village, where the local blacksmith assured me that he could treat her. The horse he offered me in change could have carried my whole family," she added with a smile. "I've been on foot ever since."

-Walt Disney

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Serk

Serk laughs some heartily. "If push comes to shove, you can always ride piggyback with me again!" He gives Fillia the type of friendly smile that is exchanged between two people who have a lot of respect for each other and their abilities.

S-o-d-a, Soda

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Toranus

"A pony shouldn't be too difficult to find. Or you could take Serk's offer. Is there anything you need before we set out Lucien?"

Spoiler
    Show

If Fillia wants a pony, Toranus will accompany her and take 10 on a Handle Animal roll to pick a good pony for her (we probably don't need to rp the buying of said pony). Outside of that detail, he's ready to go.

30. - Top - End - #60

Fillia

Fillia gives Serk a knowing smile. "Generous as always my friend and I appreciate your offer. If Toranus here is correct and we can acquire one quickly I will keep your offer in reserve." She turned to Toranus, "Your assistance would be very much appreciated."

Spoiler
    Show
    Will gladly take Toranus' help in acquiring a new pony. If someone such as him had been around last time, maybe she would still have one.

-Walt Disney