New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Saga] Ship Systems

The price given for Stygium Cloaking Devices seems to be based on their rarity during the time of prequels/orig trig, due to extensive use for military ships during the Old Republic era. If you have a group that's playing during the Old Republic era, are there any guidelines for adjusting the cost due to the increased supply, or are DMs left to their own devices in this regard?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [Saga] Ship Systems

I've hesitated responding here, since I don't know ship systems as well. That said, I've combed through my books, and the SWSE wiki, and I can't seem to find a blanket statement for tech in the past. Usually when it comments on prices based stuff from different eras, or availability, it sometimes gives an idea of what they should cost. Beskar armor mentions exactly how much cheaper it is if you're a Mandalorian, as an example.

But I cannot for the life of me find any references to reducing tech by era, or specifically your cloaking devices. I can see why you'd want one, too, since that price on that Stygium one is nearing Death Star levels of cost.

I'll keep looking, maybe I missed something, but you may need to eyeball it and set your own price?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Guard View Post
    I'll keep looking, maybe I missed something, but you may need to eyeball it and set your own price?
    That's about what I expected but I was hoping I missed something. Ah well, I'll try and figure out something reasonable.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Even at their most common, those cloaking systems were stupid rare. But even at 10% of the "modern" price it is still expensive, and is restricted military technology.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The tricky part here is that Legends canon is silent on exactly when during the 'Old Republic Era' Stygium Cloaking devices were in any sort of widespread usage. They appear to have been fairly common during the Prequels-era, since ships during that period such as Darth Maul's Scimitar are known to have possessed them and the Empire subsequently pushed the technology hard enough to deplete the entire Stygium crystal supply. However, if you're talking about the KOTOR/SWTOR portion of the timeline stygium does not seem to have been available to produce cloaking devices. Darth Malgus' Stealth Armada, for example, used a cloaking technology based on Adegan crystals instead.

So unless you're playing specifically in and around the Prequel Era (probably no earlier than 100 BY), the short answer is simply that cloaking devices were not available, period. You might be able to get one during the prequel era, but TCW suggests that the technology at the time could only be fitted to fairly large vessels - the cloaking vessel used in 'Cat and Mouse' was almost 100 meters long, and was considered extremely small for a stealth ship.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting