New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Default Were this a mistake not to do for wizards?

So just struck me, why do full casters get unique spells from their subclass only up to level 5?

Should be all the way up to 9 as they give the sub indentity up til lvl 9 char level, then it’s like “now you are just like any ol wiz/cleric” after that.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Were this a mistake not to do for wizards?

probably because they 1) don't want PC's to have that much higher level magic individually and 2) want players to have a choice in what higher level magic they get

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    So just struck me, why do full casters get unique spells from their subclass only up to level 5?

Should be all the way up to 9 as they give the sub indentity up til lvl 9 char level, then it’s like “now you are just like any ol wiz/cleric” after that.
    So, this is really only the case for Clerics and Land Druids. I'm not really sure what it has to do with Wizards (it definitely doesn't have anything to do with Sorcs or Bards and Warlocks are basically the exact opposite, having their high level magic decided by their patron). But as to why: the bonus spells are extra prepared spells for the day. That's a big boost in versatility, even keeping it to level 5 spells and below. Bonus prepared 6th-9ths would probably cause some balance issues compared to the other casters. Plus, these lists are often seen as an opportunity to give nonstandard spells to the cleric or druid. But if you can get a cleric that always has, say, Time Stop prepared, that makes the Wizard and Sorcerer spell lists less inherently beneficial.

There's a balance they have to strike between giving you some flavorful spells and making sure not to tread on toes too much, basically, and they elected to do that in part by not giving extra high level spells. Also, the real problem, to me, is that subclass abilities are front loaded to the first 10 or so levels of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

This is not just a mistake, its a goddamn crime that a freaking Light Domain cleric cannot cast Sunbeam or Sunburst.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    So, this is really only the case for Clerics and Land Druids. I'm not really sure what it has to do with Wizards (it definitely doesn't have anything to do with Sorcs or Bards and Warlocks are basically the exact opposite, having their high level magic decided by their patron). But as to why: the bonus spells are extra prepared spells for the day. That's a big boost in versatility, even keeping it to level 5 spells and below. Bonus prepared 6th-9ths would probably cause some balance issues compared to the other casters. Plus, these lists are often seen as an opportunity to give nonstandard spells to the cleric or druid. But if you can get a cleric that always has, say, Time Stop prepared, that makes the Wizard and Sorcerer spell lists less inherently beneficial.

There's a balance they have to strike between giving you some flavorful spells and making sure not to tread on toes too much, basically, and they elected to do that in part by not giving extra high level spells. Also, the real problem, to me, is that subclass abilities are front loaded to the first 10 or so levels of the game.
    Sorry my bad, so long ago that I actually played that I forgot that wizards don’t get unique spells 1lvl-5th level, could just be one extra spell prepared for 6-9, does not make sense thematically that a tempest cleric can’t cast chain lightning for example.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's also worth noting that wizards get nearly every "arcane" spell on their spell list, save for class-unique ones like hex

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.