New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your meaning is clear, but I'm amused that the wording implies the entire nation of Germany stopped selling beer entirely.
    They've declared it a human right and are distributing it for free, like higher education and tap water. This is a joke.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They've declared it a human right and are distributing it for free, like higher education and tap water.
    Free tap water? I see you've never been to a German restaurant!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

I have, but a long time ago.
    Forum Wisdom

4. - Top - End - #694
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I have, but a long time ago.
    That's right! The only thing they are allowed, by law, to have on tap is beer.

5. - Top - End - #695

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That's right! The only thing they are allowed, by law, to have on tap is beer.
    IIRC in Austria beer prices in restaurants are artificially inflated due to a law that it cannot be cheaper than soft drinks, so as to not financially encourage youth drinking.

6. - Top - End - #696

IIRC in Austria beer prices in restaurants are artificially inflated due to a law that it cannot be cheaper than soft drinks, so as to not financially encourage youth drinking.
    …and everywhere else, they are just artificially inflated because people will drink booze anyway. They may as well make profit on that! (On a note at least as serious, that's certainly a sane measure.)

7. - Top - End - #697

…and everywhere else, they are just artificially inflated because people will drink booze anyway. They may as well make profit on that! (On a note at least as serious, that's certainly a sane measure.)
    I think you seriously underestimate how much soft drinks cost in the Alps.

Also despite my joke earlier, tap water is free in restaurants but you have to say tap water. Ask for water and they will bring you mineral water, and will charge you accordingly.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-12-06 at 03:47 PM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Your meaning is clear, but I'm amused that the wording implies the entire nation of Germany stopped selling beer entirely.
    Eh, it's trending that way.
    https://de.statista.com/statistik/da...and-seit-2000/

9. - Top - End - #699

My understanding of how much soft drinks cost anywhere might be a tad fuzzy these days.

Also despite my joke earlier, tap water is free in restaurants but you have to say tap water. Ask for water and they will bring you mineral water, and will charge you accordingly.
    Sounds like the general trend outside Germany as well. Hereabouts, tap water is freely available, but ordering it is kind of frowned upon.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I certainly do. I've been on the merchant side of a concession stand, and the soft drinks on tap are nearly free, they're so cheap. Why is it so expensive in the Alps? Has to be trucked in? But then so would any other drink, right?

11. - Top - End - #701
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The ShadowVerse View Post
    I certainly do. I've been on the merchant side of a concession stand, and the soft drinks on tap are nearly free, they're so cheap. Why is it so expensive in the Alps? Has to be trucked in? But then so would any other drink, right?
    Exclusivity. Monopoly.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drDunkel View Post
    Exclusivity. Monopoly.
    Wasn't the entire point of that game to not be fun, so as to provide a contrast to the game that modeled an actual healthy economic system?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #703

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wasn't the entire point of that game to not be fun, so as to provide a contrast to the game that modeled an actual healthy economic system?
    Technically the point of the game was to showcase SLA systemically unfair system wherein whoever has the most luck and capital ends up owning and controlling the entire system while all other players lose all their money.

I also have fun playing it, but I also insist on no house rules which means that the game is usually about an hour ish long.

14. - Top - End - #704

Evil people Kick the Dog; the more wantonly cruel they are (or, should I say: the more Chaotic their brand of Evil is), the more likely they are to engage in such things, right? Well, not in the Stickverse! Some of the most important named CE characters in OotS (all of the confirmed ones, if I'm not mistaken, barring Cedrik), namely Belkar, Xykon himself and especially Thog were all shown to like dogs – and Thog even flew into a somehow more fierce and murderous rage mid-rage when he saw a dog kicked.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ettin in the Playground

Evil people Kick the Dog; the more wantonly cruel they are (or, should I say: the more Chaotic their brand of Evil is), the more likely they are to engage in such things, right? Well, not in the Stickverse! Some of the most important named CE characters in OotS (all of the confirmed ones, if I'm not mistaken, barring Cedrik), namely Belkar, Xykon himself and especially Thog were all shown to like dogs – and Thog even flew into a somehow more fierce and murderous rage mid-rage when he saw a dog kicked.
    Yet more proof that Tarquin is a strictly low-tier baddy: willingness to punch a bunny.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #706

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Yet more proof that Tarquin is a strictly low-tier baddy: willingness to punch a bunny.
    Perhaps, but perhaps not! In the very next strip, it is revealed that he would have likely been right about EVERYTHING had he known that Elan was already involved in a recruitment montage, showing all the wacky applicants that got rejected!

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

#412 final panel, when Elan says “Where else would a crown go?”, Roy is standing in the same room wearing a crown not on his head.

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    #412 final panel, when Elan says “Where else would a crown go?”, Roy is standing in the same room wearing a crown not on his head.
    Ha, I never caught that. That's good.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I had totally forgotten that in #1183, the IFCC had a cutaway talking about firing up some type of "artifact" and getting a "vessel".

I'm assuming we're all supposed to have been sitting on the edge of our seats, wondering what their evil plan is, but I'd totally forgotten about it with all the Team Evil and Serini hijinks.

20. - Top - End - #710

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I had totally forgotten that in #1183, the IFCC had a cutaway talking about firing up some type of "artifact" and getting a "vessel".

I'm assuming we're all supposed to have been sitting on the edge of our seats, wondering what their evil plan is, but I'd totally forgotten about it with all the Team Evil and Serini hijinks.
    Yup. There's speculation that the vessel is Julia, and Sabine is either possessing her or otherwise manipulating her to give Roy advice to the effect of confronting Xykon sooner than later. "Destructive, unnecessary conflict" and all that.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-01-03 at 06:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember this comic? So Tarquin is doing the classic gag of listing off two clues that explain how he deduced something, in this case, that Nale hasn't left the city yet after his plan fell through, (that Nale is a cautious planner and thus wouldn't leave the city without replacements for the men he lost, that Nale has a massive ego and thus wouldn't leave until he knew what Elan and Tarquin had to say about his stunt), and then finishes up by stating a third thing that makes that fact blatant, rendering the other two deductions irrelevant (namely, wearing a ring of True Seeing and thus can see Nale invisibly standing right next to them). Fun gag, but I just realized that it's also a really smart move on Tarquin's point. As he said, Nale has a massive ego, and would be salivating to hear Tarquin talk about him in detail. Odds are, he started with the earlier comments to lure Nale in close enough that Tarquin could corner him without him having the chance to slip away again. And also taking the opportunity to berate Nale for his egotism, because Tarquin is a jerk, and also enjoys multitasking.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I was assuming that the evil magical artifact with a vessel must be the Cauldron of Fate from Casey & Andy #636, #637, #638, #654, #660, #661.

Update 2023-08-10: Precure informs me that the Cauldron of Fate appears earlier in the Casey & Andy comic as well: #126, #138, #144.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2023-08-10 at 08:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Remember this comic? So Tarquin is doing the classic gag of listing off two clues that explain how he deduced something, in this case, that Nale hasn't left the city yet after his plan fell through, (that Nale is a cautious planner and thus wouldn't leave the city without replacements for the men he lost, that Nale has a massive ego and thus wouldn't leave until he knew what Elan and Tarquin had to say about his stunt), and then finishes up by stating a third thing that makes that fact blatant, rendering the other two deductions irrelevant (namely, wearing a ring of True Seeing and thus can see Nale invisibly standing right next to them). Fun gag, but I just realized that it's also a really smart move on Tarquin's point. As he said, Nale has a massive ego, and would be salivating to hear Tarquin talk about him in detail. Odds are, he started with the earlier comments to lure Nale in close enough that Tarquin could corner him without him having the chance to slip away again. And also taking the opportunity to berate Nale for his egotism, because Tarquin is a jerk, and also enjoys multitasking.
    A subtle bit I really like is that when Malack asks how he knows where Nale is, Tarquin start answering while looking directly at Nale. Hell, he's even sayign that what he's about to say doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2023-01-03 at 08:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Something I noticed years ago, but love bringing up: Xykon's whole speech about how "Power equals power" and power comes in every form, including, say, a +8 racial bonus to a certain skill, is immediately followed by V dealing a major blow to the epic-level lich by combining a 1st-level class feature and a 3rd-level spell. Looks like they took it to heart, eh X?

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Something I noticed years ago, but love bringing up: Xykon's whole speech about how "Power equals power" and power comes in every form, including, say, a +8 racial bonus to a certain skill, is immediately followed by V dealing a major blow to the epic-level lich by combining a 1st-level class feature and a 3rd-level spell. Looks like they took it to heart, eh X?
    Indeed. What's more, Xykon berated V for using somebody else's power, saying that power that can be taken away by blowing a couple Will saves is power you don't actually have. And then he blows a Spot check and O-Chul takes away the thing that keeps him immortal.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2023-01-09 at 08:38 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Turns out being smarter than you look isn’t worth quite that much when it’s a fairly low bar in the first place.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

Does this have to be only for the comic? I was looking at the Wrong Eye wallpaper and noticed that the signature next to Mr Scruffy says "After Trampier"
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

28. - Top - End - #718

ClericGuy

So.... It just clicked why no one found Belkar's Ring of Jumping.... He doesn't wear it on his fingers or toes, but on his "trouser titan".

Which in turn means that when he handed it to Roy later... He effectively followed through on some of those catcalls he made while Roy was female.
    Last edited by ZhonLord; 2023-01-12 at 11:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I assumed he hid it in his rectum. You know, cavity search and stuff like that.

30. - Top - End - #720

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I assumed he hid it in his rectum. You know, cavity search and stuff like that.
    It has to be worn to use its magic. Pretty sure a "prison wallet", as Deadpool calls it, wouldn't qualify as wearing. So he wouldn't be able to jump without first re-equipping it, whereas if he wore it where I think he wore it he could use its enchantment without delay.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley