New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Chronicles of A Twisted Ascension IC

"You think so? I think it's more like he was hit by a mountain.

With a simple, nonjudgmental "sure," he dismissed the matter. There was nothing wrong with not being able to read. But admirable was her courage to confide in him, a stranger, and ask for help.

What bothered him, no, disturbed, was her way of approaching things. They knew each other now for what, 30 minutes? And she was so carefree. She immediately offered to help. She didn't take his misstep at first. She opened up to him, seemingly unconditionally. She was just being nice.
    And that's what disturbed him. He couldn't handle it. It seems that people who spend most of their time up in trees forget how to interact with people.

He was the one who was prejudiced against Laura, against Nana, against the dwarf, against everything and everyone outside his forest.

Education is power, they say, but he could still learn a lot from her, the uneducated!

When they walked a few steps aside, he casually said, "I know you, well, at least I've seen you before. But especially your axe. Hahahaha. Over a year ago you came to visit us with it in Glenndale.
    Seems like you've done pretty good since then
    .“

2. - Top - End - #92
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

a Man must face whatever came his way, on his feet

High Inquisitor I meant no offense in my actions. The prisoner made statements against Lord Connor and the Church, but they were not the usual ramblings of those who are merely attempting to escape their fates. This one seemed....resigned to her fate, accepting of it even. The Law must be represented first and foremost by truth, and it is this precept that led me to divert the carriage to the wall, not ambition for a place above my station. The carriage was there, as was I, so I used the tool at my disposal. I apologize for this if it was an overstep, but I would return to the wall to continue if it meant I had to walk there the entire way. SGT Andlas of the 65th Division seems to have all in order, but he stated as much that no one is allowed to ask any questions about what goes on, only to pass through his post to the Mercy beyond. The truth can not abide a cover up, and it is for that reason that I wish to investigate the area beyond the wall. It seems a lawless land, and by the cudgel, none are above the Law, even if the Law must come to them!

Spoiler: ooc'ish
    Show

Those left to their own in the Mercy may be plotting still against the City, and the lawless will take advantage if there is no one to stand in their way. I am a simple man, but I would do my duty.

holding Dalpinian's gaze steady with his own, he had said his piece, in so many words as the moment allowed, now to face whatever the judgement was, as a Man.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Dalpinian listens to what you have to say and raises a hand, signaling for you to stop.

"Mister Battleborn, I was very clear regarding the prisoner and her transfer to St. Noria. If needed, you were given explicit permission by me to subdue her for the duration of the ride. It would seem Taskmaster Davren's assessment of your character was flawed.

He will answer for that shortly. You never did answer my question, though- what were you told at the Castello when you delivered the prisoner? You were to report here immediately! I have an extremely busy schedule, Mister Battleborn. This City does not run by itself. His Holiness trusts in my judgement to make sure the gears run smoothly. So imagine my surprise when I was distracted from my very important duties and Warden Clavius himself had to send for me, and let me know his gratitude for sending that snake to him. Something I absolutely wanted to avoid!

As for The Mercy, why do you think His Holiness built the Wall of Separation, marshal? We are well aware of the situation beyond it, reason why it exists. And reason why the 65th Division is stationed there. As a follower of the Law that you claim to be, this is information you should be well acquainted with:

The Eyes in the Sky broadcast this daily for a reason. His Holiness himself deployed the 65th to the wall's edge. The populace needs to know they are safe. That their tax money is put to good use. That is it.

You taking the Cuthbertine carriage to inspect things on your own accord- regardless of your motives- is a gross example of vigilantism. This too should be very clear to you by now that it is illegal to commit to such acts. An outstanding offense. Very much punishable...""

Dalpinian reaches for his gavel and takes a momentary pause, as he lowers his head and shuts his eyes for a few seconds before smiling if only the slightest, leaving the gavel untouched.

"Mister Battleborn, you ought to be thankful that it is I you are answering to and not His Holiness. If so driven you are to bring the law to such lawless land, the City will not stop you.

However, your actions earlier hold grievous weight against you. A way to wash this trespass may be within your reach. Your zealous drive is admirable and we believe it can be put to good use. There is one individual who thinks himself above the Law, in the very district you wish to visit so fondly.

A lowly wretch- a halfling. Goes by the name of Roscoe Underhill. One of the last remnants of the sinister Olidammaran Church, thankfully disbanded so long ago. We have known for awhile that a splinter faction hides in those ruins, plotting against the City. Wishing its demise. His Holiness and those loyal to him must remain here and keep the City safe, but...

A lone blade. Unknown and with impeccable training. Adept at hunting down criminals... you may just be what this City needs. And in so doing, give you purpose and redemption. Of course, your investigation will be limited to finding, apprehending and bringing this halfling here. Sergeant Andlas will be notified of your arrival back at the wall and will allow you straight access to The Mercy. From there, you are on your own. Unaffiliated with the City. Unaffiliated with this church. Do you understand?

If you are, I am sure carriages and taxis will ferry you to the wall for a modest price. And now...""

Dalpinian waves his hand in your direction dismissively as the guards open the doors for you.

"I am done with you. For now. Have a lawful and blessed day, marshal...""

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

"The law is there to serve man, and for the most part protect the common people. Now I'm not saying everything makes sense that has been going on, however I also don't know everything going on in this city. For example the ban on magic makes sense, anyone could try and use magic to get items for cheaper then they are really worth with a spell. And if all these mad mages lived in the city before the ban it makes sense to place the ban into effect. Labeling a whole church or those who do not follow the same rules as you seems a bit prejudice however. After all look at Moradin and Heirneous. They both have the same morals on some things, however have different views on how to go about doing them. To be a steward in theory means being above any one religion and its doctrine and instead looking at all those of the community." Einkil says, though he would never say such a thing to the steward. "If the man is so hated by all the people how is he still in power? I mean on the other side of the wall you hear a complaint every now and then on having a hard time with the taxes or finding something you need, but nothing else really."

"My people are at war with an usper to one of our allies from the Sea of Sands, the Jade Empire. Up until recently me and my kin have been doing our best to send back weapons, armor, food, and gold to support the war the best we can. However if one of these machines was found and still able to be used in some compacity I am sure my government would reward someone handsomely for it. All the lives it could save. But you say they were all destroyed, so where did my kin disappear to?" he asks more to himself then Sedge.

"I am a priest yes, however most of my teachings deal with the forge and working the earth or the items around me. Not directly fighting. It is one of the reasons I was sent with my friends. They were each skilled warriors in their own rights and could cut down hundreds of enemies on their own. It is why I came searching for their bodies as I can see no other reason why I have not heard from them in the past month unless something happened to them. And between these mages you talk about and that woman I could see them running into danger if it was to protect someone they thought deserved their protection." he says knowing his men would not leave someone behind to die that was a simple innocent. "While I am in the Mercy looking for my kin's bodies if you ever need my aid in dealing with a mage that threatens the lives of the good people you are talking about I will lend what aid I can." Einkil promises, not liking the idea of mages left unchecked to do whatever they want.

"I would have to find a way to secure myself so no one could attack me in my sleep like the last time, however it is good to know most of these buildings are empty. It means if I cannot get out I will have to find a place to set up shop until I find my kin then."
    he says looking around. "Do you know of any buildings that once held a smithy that has been left alone? If so I will try to set up shop there." Einkil says after all it was always wise to have a place you always went to rest your head. And if he kept the furnace running hot enough it would be a good weapon against anyone trying to attack him.

Once inside the bitter coffee Einkil simply sits down at the bar and listens to the older gnome woman. "The ones that will stop me from getting stabbed for...well any reason." he says, remembering what sedge had said about talking about magical stuff. "Also is there any chance you saw a group of six dwarven warriors about a month back? They would look like me, just well a lot less beaten up if I had to guess." he says with a bit of a chuckle, wondering if his friends had been directed here as he had by one of the inhabitants of the Mercy.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: The rain water tastes good.

The moment it mixes with the broken asphalt at your feet and forms into puddles, though... best not be lapping that off the ground as you don't even bother to squeeze the water off your hair, since it is a long walk to the Vargas Farmhouse. But at least Nana gave you clear instructions:

Avoid houses painted with a dash of red.

Don't check the sewers.

Avoid overly green areas.

Easy. In fact, there is very little green here. Mostly grays and browns. If this place was caught by a fire so long ago, the earth was scorched enough for nothing to flourish and yet, it's packed with people, a few who notice you due to stature and strength, making sure to keep their distance as a few hooded hobos, haunched and seeking shelter under a few broken buildings, shake rusty cans, causing a single coin inside to rattle about, but they are a fair distance away from you, when you look down at Remiel and bite your lower lip before letting him know to inform you of any signs. Written signs.

@Remiel: Laura can't read...

Maybe that's why she lashed out at the druids in Glenndale so long ago? You aren't one to judge, of course. But in this day and age. In a City known worldwide as The City of Power... being an illiterate?

The druids you know all know how to read and write. Some may not be polyglots of renown, but more than a few take to the scholarly act of transcribing their mystic prowess onto paper. Much like the wizards at Runestone Academy. Who knows if Laura has been on the receiving end for cruel jokes on that regard alone. People can be mean, after all. And although her axe may cleave bone and her arrows pierce flesh, there is nothing more hurtful than well placed words peppered with malice.

And getting that idea off your mind and hers, you step on a short pot hole on the road and drench your leg with putrid water, causing you to nearly trip before you let her know that you are aware of who she was. if not by name, by face and demeanor.

And although she cannot read, you can, as several buildings have posters badly nailed and being nearly washed away by the rain and wind. a quick glance reveals a list of names, followed by a brief description, such as gender and age, with a surprising amount of children on it. None of the names resonate with you, but what reads in big bold letters above these lists, repeated along the walls is the same:

MISSING

@Laura & Remiel: Nana mentioned to take a left as soon as you left her tavern.

But it's not a straight path left, as the roads here twist and turn and several times you find yourself walking back to the Bitter Coffee before scratching your heads and after several minutes, finding a round plaza littered with trash and the statue of a noble warrior on horseback. For Remiel who can read, the plaza has a broken sign where words faintly read:

Ashford Plaza

Back in its heyday, it must've quite the sight. Enough to attract the attention of the mercyfolk here, who have taken stripped away the plaque at its base, as well as some obvious vandalism on the warrior's helm, leaving him effaced and unknown.

Not far away from the plaza, you find a set of stairs leading down and giving you much needed shelter from the rain. A short tunnel that ends with a flight of stairs leading up. A drain pipe, big enough for a man to get through, can be seen on one side of the tunnel, at its base. The bars of the drain pipe have been removed. Who knows how long ago, but what is more disconcerting are claw marks on the walls.

Remiel saw one back at the tents, but those were man sized. These look much larger and have left deep indentations on solid stone. Impossible to tell who or what made them, though.

And after about ten minutes, you reach a river of dark green waters. the rain swells its sides considerably and although both could cross it by simply swimming across, a large solid bridge crosses the river several feet away.

of note, something catches your eyes. On the banks of this river:

Red flowers... and they have flourished here in abundance along the river bank. Perhaps there is hope for this place after all. Nature always finds a way.

And then you approach the massive bridge and watch a few support columns- it would seem this bridge remains partially standing. The columns have graffiti art on them:

Well drawn. and it doesn't wash away with the rain. Halmathan has an art district, filled with the City's bohemian community. As was to be expected, street art became a great attraction. A way to bring color to the City and in some cases make a statement.

Connor immediately had those walls painted over. It was said he found it an abomination and an eyesore and vowed to arrest anyone caught doing it again. If any artists in the City had the audacity to go against his wishes, who knows.

What you do know is that the same image is repeated over and over in every column leading to the bridge and as you get closer, it becomes apparent that walking over the bridge is an impossibility- it has collapsed, but not entirely.

A tunnel can be seen right beneath it, hopefully leading to your destination.

@Einkil: There is much for you to say.

A treatise on the use of The Law. On how it protects and affects its people. On the misuse of Magic and proper handling of it, which would require a lengthy discussion among those with both the power and knowledge to enact upon these laws in a most fair manner. Then there's the obvious prejudice against a church. A discussion needs to be had about that. Make it lengthy and overburdened with documents and discussions and traditions and...

Sedge walks like a sleepwalker, snoring after every step she takes before opening a single eye and feigning a yawn.

"Not a smith. Don't know where to find a forge. For a slow dwarf, you have a lot to say. Focus, Einkil. One thing at a time. I am sure your friends would want to be found, right?"

Everything that had to be said, was said already.

You are sure to find someone here who wants to sit down and debate this for hours on end. Form a committee. A committee of dwarves, dammit! And once at the Bitter Coffee, Nana Rose, a few feet shorter than you, stands on a stool behind the bar and eyes your trappings, raising an eyebrow at your Hammer as she nods in appreciation.

"You don't get those here. You're an outsider, aren't you? Don't have to reply if you feel uncomfortable- I don't judge. Will you be having anything to drink? Eat?""

Nana looks at the tables, filling up with Mercy patrons and points to one of the bigger ones.

"A group of dwarves came here awhile back, yes. All very military looking. Well trained. Very thirsty too. They each drank a full tankard of ale. mentioned something about a finding parts. I told them that mining was impossible here because there are no mines, but they insisted that it wasn't mines they were looking for, but scrap metal. That they had a divine vision by their leader to retrieve it and get back to the City with it...""

The gnome's smile quickly disappears as the belching and talking of the patrons behind rise to an uncomfortable degree.

"I told them to return to the City, that they would find nothing here, but they were driven. Your kind gets an idea in their head and it's impossible to change it. That I know too well. One of them, a woman, if I'm not mistaken. I overheard them talk at the table while they drank that they found information about a rich deposit of metal and goods for their cause. They never said what the cause was, but they did mention where they were headed:

The Devil's Hatch. One of the main sewer entrances in The Mercy. How did they get that information? I do not know, but upon hearing that, I slammed my hand on the counter to get their attention and forbid them to go there... to little success.

Those dwarves paid for the tankards and then some and marched out in a hurry. I am sorry, Einkil. if they were your friends... I am sorry for your loss.""

6. - Top - End - #96

DruidGuy

Once more into the anteroom to redress, once more to walk down the halls, once more to stop and talk with his friend at the entrance. For perhaps the last time. On the way, a stop by the Taskmaster's office to pen a note, give fair warning, and some apology for perhaps bringing Delpinian's wrath upon him, but also a small explanation of his actions and justifications. Then to the outside, and to hail a cab to take him to the Merl.

Not even waiting for the man to give him the fair, he tosses him 2 gold and climbs in the back, there to ponder what has happened this dark night. His mood is like the storm outside, a flashing tempest of natural forces warring for control. The entire trip home slides by as if it had never even happened, so engrossed in inner turmoil is Davish. Upon arriving, he quickly heads inside, there to speak with his da, also for perhaps the last time. As always, the man of the house was found in the common room, entertaining the evenings guests. With a glance and a flash of a signal, his da bids him wait in the office. Walking thru the kitchen on the way there to grab a mug of hot brandy, and bid Cook a fine hello, for she has always been like a second mother to him, Davish sits down upon the bench in his da's office, there to await his sire.

Half a mug later, his da walks in, and Davish simply points him to the seat behind his desk. As is their custom, he tells of what has transpired this night, and his fear that he may be walking to his death, but he will face it like a Man, as his da has taught him. I don't know what shall await me on the other side of the wall, and less so what may face me here upon my return, if there is to be one, but I wouldn't leave you penniless in my absence. Davish pulls a heavy purse out of his bag, the clink of many coins within make a tinkling sound as he sets it upon the desk. His da won't look at it now, but later will find that there is a 1,000 gold within, plenty to help keep the Inn afloat, should any need arise, or to pay for protection in his absence, also if need be. Finally, the telling is complete, his course is set. Standing now, a quick embrace, and a clasping of hands, and it is time. Without a look back, Davish leaves.

A final stop by the forge, there to collect his tools and throw them into his knapsack. One final stop before the Wall. Davish must know something about his quarry beyond a name, so he heads for an information broker, one of the heads of a local brotherhood of bounty hunters, there to see what can be learned of this Roscoe Underhill.
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Hit by a mountain? Laura tilts her head in amused agreement. But the dwarf is soon forgotten as they start walking in the direction of the plaza and Remiel strikes up a conversation.

"I know you, well, at least I've seen you before. But especially your axe. Hahahaha. Over a year ago you came to visit us with it in Glenndale. Seems like you've done pretty good since then."

Laura misses half a step, suddenly embarrassed. "Oh, you were there for that?" She's quiet for a moment as she recalls the details and connects the implications in her head.

"And that's why you didn't respond to me at first when we met just now," she concludes, putting two and two together.

"I didn't intend for things to get out of hand like that. I just... I'm quite impulsive sometimes and I'd just got a new axe and is really sharp and I wanted to test it on something that wouldn't blunt the edge and a groove of trees larger than I could put my arms around seemed like just the thing," she blurts out, colouring slightly as she recalls her mistake.

"It didn't occur to me until afterwards that the trees might be sacred or important to anyone - and it should have! - but I was only thinking about how awesome my new axe was and then that guy came over and yelled at me and called me stupid for not reading the signs and I'm not I just can't read and it's not like I haven't tried to learn its just that the letters don't seem to sit still for me the way they do for other people and I was defensive and embarrassed and insulted and... and I kind of lost my temper with him," Laura explains in a rush.

"I didn't mean any harm. I'm actually pretty glad that woman came over and calmed everything down. She was very understanding. I actually made some donations to the Elhonnians later to make amends. But I guess that wasn't exactly the best first impression, huh?" Laura laughs self deprecatingly.

"I suppose I am doing better since then. It isn't exactly thrilling to be mostly confined to the grounds of Kord's Temple since Connor's ascension, and I'm making less money of course, but it keeps me from falling foul of The Cudgel and the daily drills are invigorating. It's helped me be a little more focused, I guess? Father Bhaggazin had been very generous. I know he's got a fearsome reputation, but he's just a big teddy bear really."

The colour in Laura's cheeks fade as she gets onto a less embarrassing topic, even beginning to smile again fondly at the thought of her mentor.

"But then I got a letter from Clarity - Father Bhagazzin read it for me -" she forestalls any questioning, "-and you just kind of have to drop everything and go and help someone you care about," she finishes.

In her rambling it seems like they've come up on the river. "Hey look, these are cool!" Laura exclaims, plucking one of the beautiful red flowers and braiding it into her hair like a bow. "What do you think?" she laughs, twirling for her audience, until she catches sight of the bridge and stops, immediately distracted.

"Some sort of gang mark?" she asks of the painted cockerels.
    "I guess we're not going that way, the bridge is all collapsed. Do you think that tunnel counts as part of the sewers? I mean, I figure we're both able to swim across if necessary, but why get soaked through if we don't have to?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye they would, but if it has been a month if they are alive it is by some miracle I do not yet understand. Add in the rain touched my forge this day, a sign from the soul forger that their life was gone. So unless his vision could be hindered in some way they are dead. Rushing in will only get myself killed as well which will help no one as then none of our spirits will be able to rest with ease." Einkil explains to Sedge. "I ask about a smithy because I would feel comfortable sleeping in one, and they are mostly set up the same way meaning I would know how to use my magic to reinforce it to best protect myself when resting. And one must rest otherwise they make mistakes, it only takes one crack in a blade, one chink in a suit of armor, for the item to fail. I cannot fail in my endevor, and as such I must be as patient as the stone while still keeping the goal in mind."

"That I be, Nana Rose. I will have a mug of ale, and whatever you are serving, though please do not tell me what it is. Easier to eat." He says kindly hoping she would understand. He trusted he could stomach most things that could pass for food, but he rather not know what it was if he didn't have to. After all it didn't seem like a burnt down district would have a butcher shop.

Eye's alight with hope, Einkil leans in as she tells her story. "Please can you tell me how long ago they were here? Did they say anything else?" he asks his voice filled with a bit of excitement as it was his first lead on his kin. However when she tells him where they went he looks very much confused. "Nana Rose I was their spiritual leader, however I did not give them these directions to this place you speak of. A month ago they left the city in search of items that could be of use to our people back home that I had read about and I told them where to look from what I had seen. Never before however have I heard of this place, the Devil's Hatch, nor would I send them into a place so named without my aid." he says sounding concerned. Why would they not go where he had said and instead to this place? His directions had seemed rather clear from the other side of the wall, follow this street to this place, turn here, follow the direction this statues sword was pointing. However as he came to the Mercy himself he soon began to realize directions like that would mean nothing when the place was an utter wasteland unlike those written before the fire.

"Thank you Nana, however as their spiritual leader, as well as their only kin on this side of the world I must find their bodies and return them to the earth. And before you forbid me from going anywhere know that my duty demands it. Though I am not foolish enough to think I can save my friends who were far more powerful then I alone. I will need resources, people of similar capabilities, and more knowledge about this place and why you forbade them from going then I do now. I know nothing of this side of the wall Nana Rose, it is like walking into a whole new city. As such I wish to learn so that I do not make foolish mistakes a child would this way my chances of success are higher. Can you help me with any of these?" he asks politely, making it clear he had to do his duty however he was willing to learn and prepare for the dangers he may face.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: Back outside, to walk the immense halls of the palace of Justice.

Taskmaster Davren greets you with a smile, which quickly fades when you inform him of what has transpired this morning. The man has always vouched for you, putting his neck on the line. And now, because of your actions, Dalpinian may set his wrath upon the old lord.

Your mentor places his hand on your shoulder and smiles warmly.

This man has served in the Church of the Cudgel for years, back when High Inquisitor Calchis presided over it. Over the years, he has garnered more than a fair reputation amongst the Cuthbertines, particularly its militia. Although Dalpinian is Connor's protege, it would be very difficult for him to act with malice against Davren. The man has an impeccable record...

He will be fine. He has to.

No umbrellas to shelter you from the rain as you step outside the Palace of Justice and hear a crackling boom from the skies above. This rain may last the entire damn day, as you hail a cab towards the Merl. And although still early and not noon yet, the smell of warm food wafts from the kitchen as you poke your head inside and hail Cook, who despite her years, is one of the best chefs in the entire City. No fancy schools for her, like so many pretentious young cooks that claim to have served at the Royal Palace. More so now, that there isn't anyone to confirm or deny their credentials and will pay a king's ransom for a halfling sized portion of celery with some fancy design on a gigantic plate, the better to justify the price.

None of them hold a candle to Cook, who pinches your cheeks and remarks on how skinny you are, promising one of her specialties, the Moules-frites, steamed to perfection and with caramelized onions and basil sprinkled fries with that extra pinch of salt. The mussels are always fresh, catch of the day.

But that knot in your stomach has cut your hunger away as you open the pantry and take out a bottle of brandy, causing Cook to shake her head as she instructs the young aspiring cooks how to cut the and prepare the food for lunch time.

Once your father has excused himself from the guest room, he joins you in the study and pours himself not one, but two glasses as you let him know what you're doing and where. He doesn't even look at the bag, placed on the table. His eyes are fixed on his boy, now a Man. But despite the passage of time. No matter how much stronger you are than him, you are his son. And few things are as painful as letting their son go. Especially for what may very well be the last time. So it is no surprise that the embrace is a strong and lengthy one, almost as he doesn't want to let go, but accepts your duty in a most bittersweet fashion as his handshake- firm enough to rival yours- is that last contact you have with your father before you turn your back on him and glance at the patrons, who have no clue what transpired behind closed doors, already warming up their gullets with warm liquor to awaken an appetite.

Father will be fine. He has to.

Not much of a parting gift, but he does pay for your ferry to Sir Jory's House of Fine Gentlemen.

Sir Jory was a hunter. Long ago, before your time. He is no longer alive, but his legacy lives on. Many who would take on the mantle of "hounds" find the House of Gentlemen a place of camaraderie, fine spirits and of course, a bounty board.

This one has been mostly empty for awhile now. Connor solved all crimes in the City, blessed be His Holiness. That isn't to say that some old hounds are not unfamiliar with names from before, when criminals and lawbreakers ran amuck here, prime targets for the old and new bounty hunters. And so, you ask around about your quarry, which raises a few eyebrows and some responses:

I heard he was killed during the Olidammaran Purge.

I heard he was The Laughing Shadow's right hand. Some say he killed the High priest of that church and then planned to take over.

Quite! I heard he was the reason for The Purge on those thieves, selling off his own to save his hide. And they talk about honor amongst thieves. Now that's a joke I'll drink to!

You reap what you sow, is what I say! Serves them right, if you ask me. I wish His Holiness would have hired me for help during that raid.

You are all wrong: the little rat escaped. I was told he took with him every last gold piece in that church of theirs, hired a ship and took off to the tropics in the middle of the night, amidst the arrests and mayhem. Now they say he owns three islands to his name and lives off like some king in the south seas.

Who knows what's true and what's just drunken ramblings, but few of the things mentioned here coincide with what you were told. Then again, these are men who, like you, have dedicated their lives to hunt down law breakers... for a price.

@Laura: Who cares about some battered old smelly dwarf.

Bhagazzin being the exception, of course. The Kordite High Priest may be a power house in the battlefield. Enough for Connor to have only faced him once. At the door to of the Kordite Temple, since Bhagazzin didn't allow him entrance to Hallowed Ground... or so you heard.

In the rare instances when the Cudgel visits Kord's House, it's under representation of frail Dalpinian, who is always surrounded by a phalanx of the City's mightiest elite soldiers, lest Bhagazzin became enraged and threw a boulder at the man.

As for the incident back at Glenndale... yeah.

Remiel doesn't need to know your whole life's story. Reading is not something you know how to do. The words become an incomprehensible mess. An annoying blur of ink on paper that swirls around. That druid at Glenddale didn't know better, but that is no excuse for you to have attempted to cut trees down. And the outburst. Good thing Claudia arrived before things got really ugly. And although you may not have a lot of coin to spare, some of it reached the Ehlonnian Church. A way to apologize for your rude trespass.

But now you're here, not in the City. Your friend Clarity needs your help and things in the City are too stifling right now. here you can flex your muscles. Put down those that are giving her trouble. Wreck some...

Oooohhh! Pretty flowers!

You walk up to the muddy banks of the brackish green river, which flows wildly due to the inclement weather and pluck one of the red flowers, braiding it into your hair as you twirl around in front of the druid, in perhaps the very few in stances of you showing some giddy lady like behavior.

And then your attention goes to the painted birds on the columns leading to the dilapidated bridge. the entrance below it is not a sewer, but a tunnel. Not unlike you and Remiel passed through earlier, but bigger in size.

@Remiel: Who knew Chopper Girl had a more dainty side?

She twirls around with that flower in her hair and a slight tingling sensation invades your entire body. Perhaps the weather as of late, getting colder. And as you look past Laura and the flowers, you try to assess the river's width.

Given the torrential rain, you can't see the shore beyond. At a guess, a good fifty or eighty feet of both swimming before you can see the shore across. Maybe.

@Einkil: Nana Rose takes her time preparing your meal, but the dirty flagon of ale is immediately clasped between your hands. The food arrives... and it looks like a scrawny rabbit, with a baked potato on the side.

"It's our special- Mercy Mystery Meat. Just a copper for this delicacy. Can't beat that price anywhere else. Mark my words... and wait:

YOU were their spiritual leader? I may not be a dwarf, or a priest. But I know a lot of both. A priest sending his troops without him... why? What drove you to send those fine men and women here?!""

In your mind, you gave your squad directions... or did you?

You have never set foot on The Mercy until today. heard of it? Yes, in passing. But why bother learning about a place like this when you had something good going on back in The City, with your forge. It wasn't until Connor rose to power that resources over there became scarce. And so, guided only by what you can somewhat adequately place as a vision, roused your soldiers down at the forge and bringing down your hammer on the anvil, sparked on them the mission. A most holy of holies- to loot scrap metal in a forgotten and unknown district.

Directions were given, of course:

Take that road.

Turn left at that building.

Open the door with a doorknob.

How much clearer can you get? These thoughts run through your mind as Nana shakes her head in very clear disapproval.

"Why not join them? Those dwarves looked like warriors. And although well trained, as you claim them to be, they can't patch their own injuries. You damn right better retrieve them boy, but...""

The gnome crosses her arms and looks at you again squarely in the eye.

"They went to the Devil's Hatch. That is the main entrance to the sewers here and last I knew, it was blocked. No entry. That being said, money here, like anywhere in the world, goes a long way. Look, you may be feeling bad about sending them here, but to go down there alone.... I do not recommend it.

I am not going to go into detail, Einkil. Just know that there are things down there. Things you haven't seen and don't want to see. Ever. Nothing but grief awaits you below the streets of The Mercy, boy. People have gone down there before. Few have returned and you can bet money they do not wish to go back down there. That being said, you have your duty to fulfill, yes? The clan is first and foremost. I know the dwarven mantra regarding that.

Like I said, none here will go down with you, but I met two that aren't from here. They seem to be on a rescue mission. Not unlike yours. Looking for people missing. Kindred goals...and maybe kindred spirits? I warned them to stay away from the sewers too, because I don't like sending people to their deaths.

That being said, I can vouch that one of them is very strong. She is a Kordite, so you should expect her to be very strong. True to her patron deity and Halmathan's Church Leader.

I have no idea what the other one does.

Again, I do not condone one, three or twenty to go down there. I wish you to know this in advance, because few will be as concerned for strangers in this place. So, the decision is yours. You may be a child to me, but a grown man to the rest.

If you wish to find them, they took off not long before you walked in here. But...""

Nana looks at your armor and Hammer and shield and short stocky legs.

"They're tall folk. Humans. By now, they must've covered several blocks and must be far away from here. However, if you have the coin, I can offer you the same service I offered them- to have a guide here."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"You see these lists here, Laura? All missing persons, mostly children. Terrible!"

Suddenly they were back at the "Bitter Coffee". How can that be, he never gets lost.

Yes, the unfamiliar, urban environment was harder to distinguish than different trees in the forest, and since it was raining so hard, the sun and therefore the direction was not visible. Nevertheless, a druid shouldn't get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura
    And that's why you didn't respond to me at first when we met just now
    "I mean... it's just, um... I didn't know you. Or I just knew you as the slightly crazy ax-wielding woman. And so I was a little more reserved...
    But like I said, the notch in the tree is closed and everything else is just fine, right
    ?“

As they walked on, they discovered these flowers on the bank of the river. Remiel tried to remember if he knew this sort (Knowledge Nature (1d20+13)[16]), but Laura had already picked one and stuck it in her hair. "You look good, um, I mean, the flower looks good on you..." he said shy (Depending on whether Remiel can remember, e.g. whether the flower is poisonous or not, he adds "however, this flower is poisonous and therefore rather unsuitable as hair ornament. Wait, I'll take it").

Then they reached the broken bridge and Laura mentioned to walk through the tunnel. "We don't have to swim, or walk underneath..."

Remiel made a few gestures, spoke something in druidic and suddenly a huge owl flew up. It landed in front of him and as a greeting he caress it and said in sylcanic "Thank you for answering my call, friend owl! Would you please take my friend here to the other side of the river?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Summon Natures Ally 3 instead of Call Lightning

11. - Top - End - #101

DruidGuy

No answers at Jory's, just more questions. Outside, it's time to hail a cab, and get on with it. It's a long slow ride to the Wall this time around. Getting out several hundred feet back, to take it all in, and to make the final approach on foot. No haughty speeches about duty and honor to hand out this time. No direct challenge it appears from Andlas, just that same measured stare from his tent as I walk through the encampment. Perhaps a Guard is tasked to follow me, I care not, and for once don't bother to check my backtrail. Onward through the place, eventually arriving at an old man, robed, sitting at a table before the opening to the Mercy. With a hand up to forestall any challenge, the answer is given in passing.

Yes, yes, i mean to go thru

Down the walkway, through the tunnel, and out the other side on a mission with clear expectations, and no meaningful intelligence beyond a name.

Am I simply supposed to round up all the halflings and make one of them tell me where this guy is? I don't even know what he looks like, only a name, and names can be changed easily. This is a fools errand, and I'm the fool!!!

I haven't been here since I was a boy on errand. I shall have to see how things stand now, and if necessary, protect myself.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: This rain seems to have no end in sight.

It's a few blocks before the mess of tents as the City Guards recognize you and wordlessly, one walks with you, guiding you through the maze.

Surprisingly, the tents looks, well.. normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nobody to be seen that would cause you to ask any questions. Guards are posted every so many paces, but the tents looks all white. All clean.

All closed.

The good sergeant Andlas is nowhere to be seen, but he must've been notified of your arrival and most likely told that you are to head straight to The Mercy, which you do.

The short man in robes barely has a chance to speak before you walk right past him and announce that yes: you are going through. This causes the man to look at the guards and shrugs as you leave Halmathan behind and walk alone through the makeshift tunnel of white cloth.

The rain pounds on you once more as you step out onto the old ruined district of The Mercy. The place stinks and seems impossibly big. No one near to greet you in this place. No formalities. Dalpinian gave you a name, race, occupation and orders on what to do regarding them.

The fine hounds at Sir Jory's will not be able to provide any relevant information. They are too busy getting drunk in the City and reminiscing about the old days, when Law breakers could be hunted down back there.

But here? Who knows what's going on here? Where to begin your investigation? Can it even be done? Where to even begin?

@Remiel: Laura may not be able to read, but you can.

A missing person's poster. People go missing in the City as well. It is unfortunate, but these are very odd cases and rarely are they advertised like this, with a piece of paper on a wall. The authorities have ways to find people and bring them back to their families, safe and sound...

But here, in a lawless district. Who is the authority in this place? Why are so many people missing. and children especially? Is anyone doing anything about this? Other than putting up posters, that is.

Once at the brackish green river, you look at the flowers and watch Laura pluck one and adorn her head with it. She looks... she looks good.

But these flowers... never have you seen this variety. Definitely not in Glenndale. And druids there have a habit of creating beautiful gardens with a palette of colors given the flowers they grown. None like this one, though. If anything, given the pollution this place has, no flowers ought to grow here.

Having said that, Nature always finds a way.

Going under the bridge seems risky. You could swim across the river and Laura seems strong enough to get herself across with a few strokes, but what about if you try neither of those options?

Cracking your neck and fingers, you stand at the edge of the river and look up at the ever raining grey skies of The Mercy and shut your eyes as you ask one of Ehlonna's Champions to swoop in and grant you much needed assistance as Laura adjusts her flower and pays little attention to your words, which she cannot possibly understand.

It's a whistling that can be heard coming from somewhere, followed by the flapping of feathers above and a majestic feathered hunter lands nearby, tilting its head at both:

This should be big enough and strong enough to carry Laura across the river as a tingling sensation invades your body quickly...and is just as quick to leave.

@Laura: That's a big owl.

Those you have never seen back in the City. Maybe deeper in Glenndale, but flying like that through the tall buildings? Never.

Must've taken Remiel quite a bit to do whatever he did, since you point out that he's bleeding through the nose. A small trickle. One even the druid hasn't felt apparently.

Spoiler: Remiel's Magic
    Show
    Remiel takes (1d6+3)[6] damage

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

As the dirty mug arrives filled with ale Einkil waits for Nana Rose to turn around before quickly praying over the cup in a quite, but firm voice.

"Oh Great Father let this ale be as pure as that found in your most holy realm."

A moment later he begins to down the ale, sure that it is clean. "I have not had rabbit in quite some time, this will be enjoyable indeed." he says picking up the scrawny looking rabbit and tearing into it with a gusto, only putting it down to drink large portions of ale. While he listens to Nana Rose.

As he finishes his meal, he cleans the parts that have fallen onto his beard, picking the obvious bits of "rabbit" out when he hears how could she let his men go without him. "I was at the forge when the Soulforger sent me the vision of where to find what we were looking for, and thus I sent to them. Previously we had been researching about the items in question so that we could return home with little results until a day before that when I came across an old book detailing what we were after but didn't have a name for. So when I had the vision I called the others to me before I could forget it.

They believed it was best not to wait and depart immediately so that we could arrive home quicker. Given how late it was and where they wished to go I advised against it and asked them to wait, they decided it was best however they go in quickly find where we all needed to go exactly as I only had rough directions from the vision in the flames, and then we would all go together. That was a month ago Nana Rose, and you say they were going to someplace called the Devil's Hatch because they found a big haul is odd to me as well. Should I have gone with them even though it was late, yes however that is the past and all I can do is try and rectify it."
    Einkil says as he is being told things he already knows, something that is making him annoyed and uncomfortable at the situation. However he was a guest here using another name as a reference and would not be a bad guest.

Listening as she goes on to tell him that there was no way anyone would willingly go down into the sewers that lived in the Mercy he was starting to believe he would have to do it alone when she tells him that another group of people had recently traveled across the wall. It was not a large amount as he had hoped, however it was better then going alone if what she said was true and no one returned from the place. "I am no fool to wander around a ruined city as big as this alone without knowing where to go. I will take your advice and hire a guide if you have one nearby. I just hope the others you say were here are willing to help, otherwise it will have been a waste." he says waiting for her to say a price for the guide before pulling out exactly that much, not a copper more as he did not wish to show he had a great deal of wealth.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Laura winces at Remiel's description of her as a crazy girl with an axe. After all it's not that far off the mark really. And her eyes widen slightly in disbelief when he says the notches in the trees have healed. Mighty as the trees in the grove were it was an extremely sharp axe with an exceptional amount of muscle and weight behind it. Surely no mortal tree could recover from such scars as if they were nothing, and Laura almost accuses Remiel of pulling her leg. But then she remembers that those weren't exactly normal trees and that druids are supposedly able to use healing magic as well, so perhaps the trees have healed after all.

"I'm glad," she says simply with a grateful smile.

The Druidic mumbo-jumbo... Laura can't follow exactly what Remiel is doing, but it certainly gets results! That... is a big owl. Laura regards it in blank-faced wonder as she copies Remiel's motion to caress the giant bird!

"I didn't know they came this big! She's gorgeous!" Laura enthuses. "She is a she, right? I mean I don't really know how to tell with owls, but I feel like she's a she." Then Laura realises that she's going to get to fly and she becomes even more excitable! "I'm going to get to fly! Oh my Kord, best day ever! I've always wanted to know what it was like! I'll just... uh... I'll just climb up here?"

Laura struggles up onto the owl's back awkwardly. Owls have quite a steep back, so it's not particularly easy. She grabs onto feathers and ones of the owl's ears, though she quickly apologises and his the owl is forbearing. She soon gets herself more settled. "Ok I'm ready! Are you joining us too... Uh... Remiel? You've got a little something on your face there..."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Rabbit tastes good. A bit chewy, though.

Nana doesn't seem to have heard your small prayer to the Soul Forger as she has her back to you and the patrons make enough noise, but she is quick to place her attention on you and what you have to say as she raises an eyebrow.

"You sent a group of clueless dwarves here based off... a vision? And you waited an entire month before you decided they had to be rescued. Color me dumbstruck. Several times. With that hammer of yours.

Look, you may have to do something to be in good terms with your Almighty. Truth be told, you mentioned only a fool would come here alone.""

Nana looks around the tavern and then at both empty stools beside you.

"You're here alone, so that makes you... what, exactly? But I am sure you have had time to reflect on this and why would a lowly bar wench like myself give you any more hell for it? You need a guide. Otherwise, you won't last long here. Of that I am most certain. He should be here any time now. You can finish your meal in peace in the meantime. The others are strangers to this place, like you. Maybe they'll accept your offer. Maybe they won't. That's up to you."

Nana tends to the other patrons as several of them glance at you and speak in that tongue Sedge was using before focusing on their drinks, meals and games of chance as dirty coin goes from one hand to another.

And it's nearly twenty minutes before a lanky fellow makes his way to the already crowded pub, zig zagging around the tables with the grace of a mongoose on a hunt as Nana cleans a glass for him and hails the man over:

"Get your skinny hide here, boy! What are you having?""

The lanky man pats a few patrons on the shoulder and slides towards the stool next to you, barely giving you a glance as he smiles at Nana and shakes his head with a proud smile.

"Coffee, please. No sugar.""

The gnome nods in approval and serves the man a hot brew.

"How many days sober so far?""

"A month and three. I told you I quit, Nana.""

The bar wench looks at you and then at him.

"A good thing you have your wits about you, boy. This fellow is from the other side of the wall. Name's Einkil. He wants a...well.. a tour guide. I knew you'd be coming around sooner or later and the others would just cut him for whatever coin he carries.""

The man burns his tongue with the coffee and puts his mug down, giving you a quick stare.

"That looks heavy. all that armor and that Hammer... hmmm. Hello, Einkil. My name's Drakan.""

The man smiles at Nana and gives her a wink before looking back at you.

"And I'm your tour guide in Beautiful Mercy. Where's he going?""

"The Vargas Farmhouse. Two more from the other side were headed there. Just get him there in one piece and...""

Drakan taps his fingers on the counter and looks at you, while addressing Nana.

"That place is far from here. Not exactly a straight path. Plus there's the Roosters to deal with, hmmm..

Einkil, is it? How much do you have? Trips like these aren't for free, you know?"

@Laura: So your axe didn't cut any trees... good. Sort of.

Your axe is sharp. Sharp enough to have reduced those dummies back in Kord's temple to splinters. The same should apply to the trees they were made of, but according to Remiel, they are fine. Who knows if the trees there are special or whatnot. Some drunken bard once sang that druids could actually become trees, so maybe that's why they rushed at you like mad fools the moment you began swinging.

And then your new druid travel buddy hoots at the rain and causes a beautiful giant owl to fly down and land as majestically as he can before you. Your own aerial carriage. Connor would throw a fit if he saw any of these back in the City, but he's not here and who is to deny you the chance to become ruler of the skies?

The concept of riding a giant bird is beautiful. Poetic, even. Worthy of ballads and works of art to adorn lavish palaces.

The execution is a monumental mess. Yes, this large sack of feathers may be able to carry you, but it's not a horse. Remiel did not give it a saddle and more than a few times, the owl tries to bite your hand off as you tug at his feathers and fall flat on your bum on the muddy ground as the owl hoots and blinks twice, looking in the other direction before you tug at his feathers once more and a single tear drops down his eye as you manage to, in the most awkward fashion, hold on to the giant feathery tuft that is the druid's forest friend.

It's no royal cavalry, but those don't fly. Now hopefully you don't fall off the bird mid flight as this one takes a few steps forward and hoots in Remiel's direction as you let him know he's got something in his face and a wet flap of wings propels the owl upwards.

The winds smack your face and hair as you cling to the poor owl and this one hoots as loudly as possible as you ride him like a feathered buckaroo across what looks now like an immense river. Wider than what you or Remiel had suspected before the owl lands unceremoniously on the ground and rolls on the other side of the muddy bank with you rolling right beside him.

Can't see Remiel from here, but the owl is, like you, completely drenched and covered in mud as he shakes his head and feathers and bathes you in another thick layer of mercy mud.

There are more flowers on this side of the river and you can see the end of the bridge, with some faint light coming from this end.

What is far more immediate is a small house boat. This one looks old and has a rusted chain keeping it anchored to the muddy bank. There is no name on the boat, but every possible window has been boarded up tight.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

"It makes me a dwarf with no allies in this city and far from home looking for the bodies of those he came to this city with." Einkil says slowly getting more and more annoyed with this person before him. People had gone on quests for far less than a vision from their gods before, and his men were the best of the best. He had no reason to doubt their capabilities. However once more he bites down what he is thinking as he instead takes a very large bite out of his rabbit, before stuffing mashed potatoes into his mouth to keep quite.

When she offers him peace and quite while he waits for his guide he simply nods agreeing that a bit of peace would give him time to calm down. With his time to himself he speaks to his hammer in Terran, noting strange language all these people seemed to speak, almost like broken common, but not quite. Explaining their surroundings to the creature that dwelled within his hammer, and what it was like outside.

It is nearly a half hour later when he is introduced to his guide, he looked more likely to pick his pockets and leave him lost in some random part of town then lead him where he wanted to go. Moving around like a mongoose looking to steal an egg from an unsuspecting person he pays close attention to the man as he sits besides him and Nana Rose introduces them to each other. "It's not as heavy as it looks, and won't slow me down anymore then if I were not in it if thats what your wondering." Einkil says extending his hand out in greeting to the man introducing himself. "Greetings Drakan, Nana Rose said you could show me to a place some others from the other side of the wall were heading." Einkil says, letting the Gnome who knew more about this then him explain the rest.

"I have coin, as for these chicken's, if your really scared of a few birds I'll just chase them off." he says confused at why these humans would be afraid of a few birds. He had never eaten a rooster before, however it couldn't be much different then chicken after all. However he was uncomfortable saying how much he had without first hearing how much it would cost to travel there. "Those carriage things cost a whole gold to cross a few districts, would the same suffice here?" he asks, not however pulling out a coin.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Nosebleed? Something's wrong! He had never had a nosebleed after performing magic before.

A little amused, a little frightened about Laura's clumsiness, Remiel stood there motionless. When he wanted to help shortly afterwards, Laura and the owl had already arranged themselves and they flew away.
    Thereupon he took the shape of a falcon again and followed them.

When he landed on the other bank, he saw them both rolling around in the mud. First he ran to... left right left right... to the owl to thank it again, then he released it again into the wide, rainy sky.

Now he had time to take full care of Laura. Remiel reached out his hand to her. He helped her up and then tried to free her from the mud without touching her feminine parts. "Oh, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry! I should have told you how... or the rope maybe... let me help... that, that... ooooh, I'm sooo sorry!"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: Talk about pouring salt on the wound.

What could this little wrinkled hideous gnome wench know about dwarven customs? About the divine zeal and omniscient glare of the Soul Forger, that only those handful chosen can even peek into? This is a holy crusade! Fools go out to garner fame and fortune. Few ever consider to leave a mark on History. But that's not you:

You are a dwarf smith! Incredibly important back home. The flame that ignites the forge. Incenses dwarven men and women deep beneath the halls of the earth and rouse them into battle! The Hammer that strikes the anvil and causes the Earth to shake under a hundred banners...

The lone hammer without a forge to call his own. Alone in a strange city.

The only thing even remotely close to allies here are the paladins in the church of Heironeous. And they are on lock down. What would your mother say if she knew you were traipsing around thief slums, getting chummy with cutthroats?

But that's where you are now. And Nana may have read this in your face as she decides to leave you and your thoughts alone for a few minutes when a lanky pick pocket makes its way to the bar and seems to be on pretty good terms with the owner as he sips his hot coffee, blowing on it occasionally and listens to the business proposal. But as the conversation goes on, you raise a bushy eyebrow and clean some scraps off your beard, remarking on simple farm birds and how can they possibly be a problem.

Drakan sips his coffee for a few seconds and Nana is caught mid way wiping the counter clean as both look at you for a few seconds in abject silence, then their eyes lock and Drakan laughs, spilling his coffee on his shirt, which causes him to curse and laugh at the same time while the gnome hands him a rag.

"Damn, you are new here. I thought Nana was setting me up for a joke... well done! Einkil, The Roosters are a gang. One of the biggest this side of The Mercy. Tough bastards. Thankfully, I happen to know their leader. Let's just say they owe me... err us, a favor or two. You can go alone, but I doubt you'll make it far. You are unknown here, an easy target. No repercussions if you end up with a dagger stuck in your head, left in some gutter...""

Nana clears her throat and Drakan goes a bit less somber with the talk.

"Which doesn't have to happen if you're with me! Now wait a minute; you are comparing my services to the carriages out there, past the Wall? Not bad, but tell me:

Has your life been in jeopardy when you ride one of those a few blocks? Because last I checked, Connor keeps all those nice clean people over there safe.

That's not the case here. People can just disappear after taking a few steps in the wrong direction. Hell, good as I am, I work best alone. So I'll have to carry you- not literally, of course- that would give me a hernia the size of Halmathan, but I think you get the picture, right?""

Drakan finishes his coffee and taps his fingers against the counter and then places the empty mug down.

"Four gold. That's two to get you to the farm and your friends. Two to get you back here. Won't find a better deal, you can ask around..."

19. - Top - End - #109

DruidGuy

With no clear direction, any direction is correct. Davish turns left, and heads deeper into the Mercy.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Laura laughs as Remiel fumbles for a way to help her up. That flight was exhilarating (even if it was crazy!) and she's perfectly content to just lie in the mud for a moment and savour the experience she's just had. After all, who gets to actually fly? Sure, it ended in mud and a few bruises, but such are as nothing to a regular brawler.

After a few moments she takes pity on him with an amused smile. "Just take my hand," she says as she allows herself to be helped up. "Don't overcomplicate it. There we go. Thanks!"

She takes a moment to shake a little bit of the mud off. Being so wet it's more dirty water than mud and the worst of it doesn't really adhere. But even drenched with hair straggling, flower askew and dirt on her face she looks completely unbothered and in her element.

"So this is as far as Nana directed us. She said to ask around once we got this far. Do you reckon there's anyone in that houseboat over there?"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

@Davish: The smell of this place...

It is god awful. How can anyone live here? Choose to live here? Regardless, you have a mission. Not much of a lead, really. No contacts on this side of the wall. Alone and with only your training to keep you safe, you take a coin toss and head left.

The tall scorched buildings meet you with silent gazes as you walk through the cracked wet streets. Puddles big enough to sink you in are best avoided. Nobody has bothered to fix these streets in years, that much is clear. What is also clear is that the people in this place are avoiding you. You can see shapes huddling in the buildings around you. Also, you can hear coughing. Lots of it.

Given the state of this place, who knows how many are sick and without proper medical attention. But none of them come and greet you. None of them answer any calls for direction. They just stare and hide in the shadows.

Going left may have been your initial idea, but this district, much like the tents outside it, are a maze. Turn left, then a right, choose which path to take at a broken intersection...

No landmarks that you can identify with as the rain keeps pouring down on you relentlessly and then your nose picks up a worse smell- death.

This causes you to stop before a pile of burnt bodies, assembled gruesomely out on the rain. Impossible to tell who these people were, but by their looks, they seem to have had an agonizing death before being put to the pyre. Dozens upon dozens of them.

And all of them in front of an equally burnt building

Who knows what this place used to be, but it looks destroyed- more so than the other buildings in this already ruined district.

@Laura: Lord of the Skies!... for a few seconds.

Granted, it may not have been the most gracious of flights, but who can claim to have ridden an owl before? As you sit on the muddy bank and watch the owl flutter its soppy wet feathers, you catch sight of the old boat house, marooned for who knows how long and boarded up and let Remiel know, except...

Remiel isn't here. In the chaos ensuing getting up on the owl and flying over and then rolling around the rain and mud, the druid never made it with you atop his avian friend.

Not that he would've been able to- it's a big bird, true. But you getting to ride it was a colossal problem. Let alone having two riders of roughly the same size. No, the druid must've been kicked by the wing flaps and remained on the other side of the river, hopeful you would make it intact here.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

@Remiel: Perhaps a different bird?

Too late now. Laura seems to enjoy the flight, whereas others would be quite reluctant to get on top of a giant owl. But she makes it across and then it’s your turn.

Like before, your body goes through a radical change and assume an avian form, flapping your wings as you cross the river.

It is impossible not to feel light headed as your vision becomes blurry and you nearly plummet into the water, having a rough landing while Laura laughs it off, covered in mud and you wave the owl good bye, something the bird is more than happy to oblige with.

But now where to go?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"True, she told us the way to the bridge and no further... And here we are. Do you think this houseboat is inhabited?"

When he had finished his question, he noticed that he was still holding Laura's hand. He blushed and quickly pulled his hand back.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

So Remiel's caught an attraction to Laura? Wow dude, that's unfortunate. Girl leaves a trail of shattered relationships and broken hearts wherever she goes. But of course you don't know that yet. Perhaps you hope she didn't notice your awkwardness? No such luck. More than four-score flings have left her highly attuned to when other people are digging on her. Laura holds Remiel's gaze with a coquettish smile for as long as he holds her hand and a few seconds longer. Wow, sparky!

But for now she's just teasing. Maybe Remiel hasn't reached her bar yet. Or maybe it's just not the time, being in the rain and the mud. She turns and starts walking towards the houseboat.

"Who knows?" she replies to his question. "Only one way to find out. Hey, I don't suppose you see any red markings?"

Laura walks up to the houseboat and looks for a door to knock on.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Almost adorable, really.

This guy is sending vibes your way? He has a lot of learning yet to do. Animals are known to mate. Some are said to even perform silly dances in order to garner amorous attention...

Remiel may have spent too much time with the animals at Glenndale. His awkwardness is felt heavier that this rain.

At least he’s trying.

You then avert your gaze to the old boathouse and ask Remiel to alert you to any red markings on it as you examine the side closest to you upon landing.

There are no doors. A latch, but it has been boarded from your side in a most sturdy way. Same for any windows.

It’s going around the old vessel that you stop in your tracks.

The boathouse has nearly keeled over as river and rain both wash into it.

A hole. Twice as big as you. Something burst out of this place, as the smell of blood cannot be masked by the inclement weather.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Laura's axe finds her hands in an instant, the warrior woman coming alert to the slightest sound.

"Remiel! There's a lot of blood, and I think something broke out of here!"

She approaches the hole cautiously, trying to get a glimpse inside.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

@Laura: Remiel's amusing yet poor attempts at courtship will have to be cast aside for now.

With the owl gone, you walk around the broken boat house and immediately smell the stench of death coming from inside. Even this rain hasn't managed to wash it away, torrential as it is and so, you grip your axe, awaiting the worst and let the druid know of your findings.

With such a big hole on the side of the boathouse and this one being marooned next to the river and the rain, this vessel is about to be carried away by the river's current. And were it not for the old rusted anchor that weighs it down, it would have already. Not that there's any salvaging it- the hole has allowed water to seep in and you find yourself knee deep in it as you approach the boat house and take a look at your surroundings.

Blood has stained the walls inside of this boat house. Pieces of furniture and other mundane house items float on the water, now completely ruined. A framed painting has been badly weathered by time and rain and depicts two young men. Nearly identical in appearance to each other. The painting itself barely hangs by a nail before it will eventually fall onto the water and be washed away with everything else.

A thick set of chains can be observed nailed to the far side of the boat house's interior. These looked strong... until they were shattered. A metal safe, partially submerged under water, has not been washed away by the currents, given its apparent hefty weight.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

As the man introduced to him as Drakan explains that these Roosters were a gang the dwarf is even more confused, who would be afraid of a common farm animal? Better to call oneself the Foaming Badgers, at least they when angered were dangerous. However he was not in the position to point out such facts and as such left it alone. "I have already encountered some of the Mercy's...hospitality. And if that is what I have to look forward to the in the rest of this place its a wonder no one simply leaves instead of worrying about who's going to have to drop a building to stop some crazy person." he points out.

"If you are referring to how loud my armor would normally be, I prepare a spell each day so that it no longer makes noise for a good amount of the day. And while by no means will I be as good as someone who often is used to sneaking around, I will not be as big of a burden as a normal person clad in heavy armor banging around." he reassures Drakan. "As for asking around, I know no one here besides Nana, and that's only because I was told to speak with her by the someone named Sedge. So asking around is as likely to get me stabbed in an alley as trusting you, no offense." it is a few minutes more before he finally answers, mulling it over in his head, however at the end of the day he didn't know the land he was in, no landmarks, he was likely to be attacked alone so even if he was with just this one person his odds were better. And if it was a betrayal he was decently sure he could at least take this one on. Who knew about the next person offering to help him. "I accept your terms Drakan, however only three if there is no trouble." he counters, trying to make it seem like he had very little gold, add in that if the job was simple and no threat to the man's life there was no need to pay four gold.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

@Einkil: So many names for a gang you can think of... and these people call themselves The Roosters?

Drakan raises his eyebrow as you mention the Mercy hospitality, but is quite taken back when you mention whose.

"You know Sedge? Well, you are a lucky if clueless dwarf, Einkil. As for crazies, you sure they are only in this side of the wall? Because last I checked, biggest and kookiest quack in all of Halmathan sits on the throne right now. But yeah, this place has its fair share of crazy people. Some you can't even talk down from slitting your throat or worse...""

The lanky man winks at Nana and then listens to your offer while rubbing his pointy chin for a few seconds.

"Deal. Three will get you where you want. Cash first, please.""

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

"I meet her yes, and she is the one that pointed me here after a misunderstanding on my part. Long story, if you want while we travel I'll tell you it." he offers politely. "You mean Connor? They guy is trying to fund bringing back the king what's wrong with that? My nation would move mountains' literally, to save our own king, King Ragrak I, I see no reason why your own people wouldn't feel the same. Then again I have not lived here long, even in the city proper but to dwarves clan and honor mean all. It is why I am here looking for my kin, and before that why me and my kin were here sending weapons and armor back to our homeland as well as gold to help with the war efforts."

Pulling out the three gold pieces from his coin purse and handing them over to Drakan. "Whenever you are ready good sir lead the way." he says dropping the coin into the man's hand and following him when he was ready to go.

Once outside he kneels in prayer for a brief moment in the muddy, trash filled streets, and begins to pray as he tries to bury his hand it seems into the mud. "Great father hear my plea and answer me. I must move as if I were weightless, unburdened by the mountain I carry upon my shoulders to remind me of home. Please lighten my load for a short time and allow your servant to go forth unhindered."

As the last word leaves mouth a soft rumbling can be heard for a brief moment before it stops, and as he rises his armor does not clank and bang like it normally would. "If you wish I can confere the ability to your own armor if you are even wearing any." Einkil says unsure if Drakan was even wearing any armor.

Spoiler: Iron Silence
    Show
    For the next 11 hours he and Drakan suffer no ACP from any armor they wear that they are proficient in on hide and move silently checks.